A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »FPS Increase?

Author Topic: FPS Increase? (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 01:14 AM    Msg. 1 of 12       
Hello there. My processor is a bit slow as it is a bit old and just getting slow. My frames per second have dropped slightly and I was wondering if anyone has made a program to install into the Halo CE folder that would increase my FPS. Thanks a lot! :)

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 01:36 AM    Msg. 2 of 12       
they shouldn't slow down too much if you maintain them correctly.

I think that the first thing you should do is lower the graphics settings, especially the resolution.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 01:40 AM    Msg. 3 of 12       
sure just download and install http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-590 that, make a desktop icon and run from it :)

Edited by ally on Oct 28, 2012 at 01:40 AM

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 02:51 AM    Msg. 4 of 12       
If you've done nothing and the FPS has 'dropped that little' for seemingly no reason: Is the inside of your computer dusty? Or do you have a really needy program running while you play?

Try to fix it from there?

RecycleBin1337

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 07:56 AM    Msg. 5 of 12       
I'm surprised no one has asked what kind of processor it is.

Anyways you could always try lowering the graphics settings and kill any high resource programs running in the background.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 01:05 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
There are programs that kill uneeded processes in your computer while gaming I used to have it on my old janked computer, don't really need it now. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html run this and your FPS should go up, if not then I suggest you upgrade your pc to the year 2007 at least to play CE at good graphics.

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 03:03 PM    Msg. 7 of 12       
My system is XP Professional 2002 and my computer is running a Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Processor. It works just fine normally but lately it's been slowing down.

I didn't think about the dust issue at first but I opened my PC and did find some. That is cleared away now but still a little slow.

To ally: I do have the correct drivers for my computer. I clicked on your link and was directed to a Nvidia Driver to buy. Not install. There is the issue with money, which is why I'm looking for a simpler solution first before anything.

To Slayer117: The download on the link you gave me looks promising but upon clicking download, their page links you to the sign up. I did sign up for it but it still does the same thing anyway. Is there a place on the page I'm not looking at?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 03:25 PM    Msg. 8 of 12       
check through the task manager and kill any unused services (make sure you know which ones are the core services, killing those would be a very bad idea) Another thing that could effect the system is if you are running a particularly demanding antivirus.

consider the following (preferably in order)

-computers tend to slow down when they get hot, make sure you keep your computer cool.

-keep desktop icons to a minimum, they take up some RAM

-download and run Glary Utilities, a small, but powerful system maintenance tool. I suggest that you run all of the included maintenance software, not just the one click maintenance button.

-free up system space, delete unused programs and language support packages if you have to, try to have at least 8-10GB of free memory

-scan for viruses and malware, I suggest MS Security Essentials and Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware, both are free and very good at what they do (make sure to use a deep scan) If worst comes to worst, Norton 360 trial is also a very good option, but one that will cost a lot of RAM.

-defragment your hard drive, the more fragmented it is, the harder it is for the computer to find the correct information this step should come last, as making changes to your hard drive causes fragmentation, no matter how small.

-finally, if you really need to get your FPS up, disable visual stylings, and make your wallpaper a single color. They consume a fair chunk of RAM, but unfortunately, the bare version might make you vomit. for sanity, I suggest keeping smooth font and mouse shadow. You can enable individual features later depending on preference. you can do so by going to the performance and maintenance tab in the control panel and going to the "adjust visual effects" tab. In order to enable and disable certain aspects individually, you can click on the advanced settings tab.
Edited by SilentJacket on Oct 28, 2012 at 03:40 PM

ricola_reaper

Polygon Pimp

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 08:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
I installed Glary Utilites and it seems to help. It cleaned up a lot of stuff that my other programs weren't picking up on. Should have seen the amount of problems it highlighted in red, lol. Thanks a lot for that one SilentJacket.

I've mostly just been running my other programs like Spybot, McAfee, and AVG. Then doing Disk Defragments and Disk Cleanups to get anything else out of the way. The PC is a bit faster. Thanks again for the feedback from everyone.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 10:45 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: ricola_reaper
I installed Glary Utilites and it seems to help. It cleaned up a lot of stuff that my other programs weren't picking up on. Should have seen the amount of problems it highlighted in red, lol. Thanks a lot for that one SilentJacket.

I've mostly just been running my other programs like Spybot, McAfee, and AVG. Then doing Disk Defragments and Disk Cleanups to get anything else out of the way. The PC is a bit faster. Thanks again for the feedback from everyone.

well there's your problem, you want to keep antivirus and maintenance software to a minimum
a malware and virus program, and one good maintenance tool

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Oct 30, 2012 12:05 AM    Msg. 11 of 12       
WOW! I just looked at Glary Utilities. Did they sort of like 100% copy Piriform's CCleaner when they made... everything about that program?!

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Oct 30, 2012 12:41 AM    Msg. 12 of 12       
I dunno, but personally, I think Glary Utilities has a cleaner interface and more options

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon October 15, 2018 8:22 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website