A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »For those who said this day would never come, what are they to say now

Page 1 of 39 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 39 · Next
Author Topic: For those who said this day would never come, what are they to say now (1359 messages, Page 1 of 39)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 02:33 PM    Msg. 1 of 1359       
Introducing the H2SPP, the Halo 2 Single Player Project. Our objective, to bring Halo 2's Human campaign to CE, starting with the levels Delta Halo and Regret. But wait, aren't you working on SPV3? Why would you want to port H2 to CE? Well the answer is simple.

With SPV3, Kirby and I have hit somewhat of a stone wall, missions a10-a50 are all awaiting art assets and attention from team members who are otherwise preoccupied with TSC Evolved, the plans we have for the flood require the whole teams efforts, and B40 and C40 are planned to be done together at the same time. In other words, most of our team is preoccupied with what is our main project, so we decided to start this as a side project.

So why port a H2 level? Well for one, those of us who have nothing much to do with CMT, are the ones who primarily focus on in gamed content. The second reason, is far more personal for me at least. I think Halo 2 is the weakest game in the series and I was severely disappointed in Halo 2 upon it's release. In fact, my disappoint with H2 is the reason why CMT was originally founded 8 years ago, as we believed we could take the ideas of H2, and do them right. . I think it's the worst game of the series. I believe this, because I believe the gameplay is inherently flawed, and that the campaign's story creates situations where the sandbox is limited (this mostly applies to Arbiter missions, but also chief). For every halo game since H2 everyone asks "Well, is it better than H1?"

It is my belief that out of Bungie's series, Halo 1 has had the best gameplay. I also believe that CMT has created one of the best Halo gameplay experiences ever. So this is what we intend to do, starting with Delta Halo/Regret. We are going to port the level from H2, using as much data we can gather from H2 as we can. Unfortunately, due to castration of H2V, this is not as easy as it should. While the BSPs and scenery are value by value ported over, we are doing custom encounters, and custom cutscenes. Now, these encounters are not meant to be an exact replication of those in H2, but are rather based on them. There is also the challenge of content, as H2 does contain some new assets vital to missions. We will be releasing 2 versions of the map, one that uses the classic Halo Sandbox to the best of our ability, and another that takes advantage of the openly sourced CMT mod. With the H1 version, we plan to let you enjoy Halo 2's Delta Halo/Regret with Halo 1's legendary gameplay, and we also intend to do a public beta of it, in order to iron out any bugs for the CMT version. The CMT version is our primary focus, and it will include any tags released by CMT. This means, you will not be playing it until after TSC: Evolved is released, and nothing new CMT related will be shown until it is announced and detailed by CMT.

So this sounds great… but what do we have so far to show? We got our first BSP in game about 3 weeks ago, and even with Hurricane Sandy (F U Sandy!), we have made amazing progress. In fact, in this short period of time, we have all of Delta Halo playable, as well as 1/3rd of Regret. Now, this is Halo CE, so there will be some slight changes in the bsps in order to make them perform better in CE. As of now, the team primarily consists of Me, Kirby, and Mootjuh, who some of you may know as Masturchief. Martyn Ball has also been helping, as has ShadowSpartan with what remains of Zteam's extraction tools. We've got a little bit to show you below.

DISCLAIMER: These pictures are of a WIP, right now our main focus is getting the levels playable start to finish, and visuals are of the lowest priority. Everything you see here is subject and likely to change. The point of these pictures is to show you our level of progress and that this is more than just an idea for a project, but rather a project that has had significant work done

Now, as you can see, we're a small team independent of CMT. We are looking for help in porting and polishing BSPs, so if you are interested PM us some of your previous work. Our focus is on Delta Halo/Regret exclusively right now, but that is not to say we are not interested in having other levels prepped and ready. Our biggest slowdown, and our weakest area of progress is in the BSPs, so we would be very interested in anyone who can contribute. Do note, that just because you contribute, does not mean you will be able to play maps with unreleased CMT content, anyone who contributes will be granted to beta's using the classic tag set.
Edited by Masters1337 on Nov 9, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Edited by Masters1337 on Nov 9, 2012 at 03:43 PM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 02:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 1359       
best of luck to you, but I do worry that splitting your team into 3 projects might cause the team to disintegrate again.

Don't let that happen!, not again!

as for H2SPP, It looks good.

Edited by SilentJacket on Nov 9, 2012 at 02:46 PM

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 02:45 PM    Msg. 3 of 1359       
So another campaign remake.
Well, good luck I guess. Hope it turns out better than your past campaign re-re-re-remake attempts.

Edit: for christ's sake turn off that disgusting bloom!!
Edited by The Lodeman on Nov 9, 2012 at 02:47 PM

killzone64

Too many hobbys not enough time

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:04 PM    Msg. 4 of 1359       
that sniper rifle is amazing looking.

and is there a release date for TSC evolved yet?

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:10 PM    Msg. 5 of 1359       
cmt sp2v1

also glad to see you got the portals working.
Edited by ptowery on Nov 9, 2012 at 03:10 PM

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:14 PM    Msg. 6 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket

best of luck to you, but I do worry that splitting your team into 3 projects might cause the team to disintegrate again.

Don't let that happen!, not again!

as for H2SPP, It looks good.

Edited by SilentJacket on Nov 9, 2012 at 02:46 PM

The way things are set up, it won't happen. Kirby and I are responsible for 3 maps, and have very little involvement in B30: Evolved. Of the 3 maps, one is done, and one is awaiting art assets. No one else other than us 2 from CMT are working on this than us. Well, shadowspartan as well, but what he contributes is the things he has done in the past.

MatthewDratt

CE3 - Takedown - HaloCE3.com

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 1359       
I knew about this for a while now... heheheheheeh

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:27 PM    Msg. 8 of 1359       
Sounds awesome. I've never played Halo 2 so it'll be cool to play some of H2's campaign levels in CE.

Btw, what happened to Halomods? Getting blocked because Google's found malicious content. Has the site been hacked?

killzone64

Too many hobbys not enough time

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:33 PM    Msg. 9 of 1359       
this has some definite potential. for one ce's lighting and shader system is way better than halo2's slap some opensauce on there and it will make for some amazing looking maps.

you guys also mentioned some opensauce addons in the cmt thread. could that be duel wielding and vehicle boarding per chance?

and will you be remaking halo 2 weapons/vehicles? or using already made cmt stuff.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:42 PM    Msg. 10 of 1359       
Yes to boarding, no to dual wielding. There are no plans for new content outside of the CMT mod, except for where things are required (like Regret).

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 03:52 PM    Msg. 11 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
I think Halo 2 is the weakest game in the series and I was severely disappointed in Halo 2 upon it's release. I think it's the worst game of the series. I believe this, because I believe the gameplay is inherently flawed, and that the campaign's story creates situations where the sandbox is limited (this mostly applies to Arbiter missions, but also chief). For every halo game since H2 everyone asks "Well, is it better than H1?"

Halo 2 had some of the absolute best and most stunning encounters of the entire series.
The tank run on mombasa brigde.
The gauss hog gunning section in that same level.
The delta halo drop.
The arbiter missions against the brutes in uprising.
High charity.

All of them absolute jewels of levels, epithamies of awesome level design and gameplay.
I find it absolutely astounding that you would disgrace these amazing levels, and even claim your amateuristic SPvX levels have superior gameplay to what is one of the best Halo games ever made.

But hey, if you claim this will surpass the "heavily flawed gameplay" of Halo 2 then go for it, surprise me, surprise everyone. Cheers and beers!!

MatthewDratt

CE3 - Takedown - HaloCE3.com

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 04:09 PM    Msg. 12 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
I think Halo 2 is the weakest game in the series and I was severely disappointed in Halo 2 upon it's release. I think it's the worst game of the series. I believe this, because I believe the gameplay is inherently flawed, and that the campaign's story creates situations where the sandbox is limited (this mostly applies to Arbiter missions, but also chief). For every halo game since H2 everyone asks "Well, is it better than H1?"

Halo 2 had some of the absolute best and most stunning encounters of the entire series.
The delta halo drop.
High charity.

Tank on bridge was long and dragged on
Guass hog section was repetitive through the same environment
Delta Halo was honestly a typical level. Nothing to special here
Screw the Halo 2 brutes
I don't even remember what happens in the High Charity level

I kinda have to agree with Masterz that Halo 2 was the weakest game in the series. The story was sloppy and all over the place. Nothing all to rememberable in the encounters. The whole campaign side sucked. Idk if Spv_ is any better but Halo 2 was eh

P3

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 04:25 PM    Msg. 13 of 1359       
I too agree that Halo 2 was pretty crappy. Especialy on pc.... >.>

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 04:32 PM    Msg. 14 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman

The delta halo drop.
High charity.

Tank on bridge was long and dragged on
Guass hog section was repetitive through the same environment
Delta Halo was honestly a typical level. Nothing to special here
Screw the Halo 2 brutes
I don't even remember what happens in the High Charity level

I kinda have to agree with Masterz that Halo 2 was the weakest game in the series. The story was sloppy and all over the place. Nothing all to rememberable in the encounters. The whole campaign side sucked. Idk if Spv_ is any better but Halo 2 was eh

Tank on bridge featured a bunch of explosive action, epic music and was just right in length.
Gauss hog was absolutely stunning. Your hog driving next to the chaingun hog. Ghost gets rammed by chaingun hog => ghost goes twirling in the air, I shoot it mid-air with the gauss cannon. Then the awesome battle with the wraiths ending with the marines opening out of cover and firing rockets in the wraith's behind.
Delta Halo was bloody brilliant, featuring one of the best mission starts ever seen in any game.
The Halo 2 brutes in itself weren't the best, but the encounters they featured in in uprising were astonishing. The elites vs brutes face-off in that lush jungle area, legendary.
High Charity featured freeing captive marines and facing off against both brute and elite factions.

Halo Reach, Halo 4, did not feature anything nearly as epic as these moments alone.
Halo 2's campaign is amazing, and I'm sure you're just judging it for the buggy cinematics and graphics on occasion.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 04:57 PM    Msg. 15 of 1359       
You're never online when I am! I'm on now if you can chat.

BobtheGreatII

Meh

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:01 PM    Msg. 16 of 1359       
Masterz you dick. Remove the picture of the sniper. It's not ready to show off yet. Especially with your weird messed up tags for screens. Or whoever the guy who posted it is. No one asked me. Remove it. I'll show it when it's ready.
Edited by BOBTHEGREATTHE2ND on Nov 9, 2012 at 05:03 PM

P3

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:01 PM    Msg. 17 of 1359       
You're never online when I am! I'm on now if you can chat.

Could have just pmed info. -_-
Edited by P3 on Nov 9, 2012 at 05:01 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:02 PM    Msg. 18 of 1359       
I found Halo 2 to be one of the best in the series by far, and arguably this level is one of the best throughout any of the games. There is already plenty you can see wrong with this mission, and it looks as if its just a Halo 2 port with some CMT weapons and bipeds thrown in. Obviously original level design + CMT's assets thrown in + Masterz1337 scripting/population = its going to be bad.

P3

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:07 PM    Msg. 19 of 1359       
All i sort of have to say is... they better change bsp visuals and textures... The main thing that i hated about halo 2 was the overly dirty textures and forerunner structures not looking forerunner sometimes.

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:19 PM    Msg. 20 of 1359       
I'm very excited, and scared at the very same time......

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:40 PM    Msg. 21 of 1359       
Yes but the great Masterz says H2's campaign is atrocisous, so he doesn't want to stick to the original. Legendary CMT gameplay should take it's place clearly.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:41 PM    Msg. 22 of 1359       
I also believe that CMT has created one of the best Halo gameplay experiences ever.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:52 PM    Msg. 23 of 1359       
Ahem, Lumoria isn't all that brilliant either. So don't go over the top. Yes, you can criticise CMT a bit, but you're being arrogant now, Lodex and Higuy.

But no, I don't think CMT has created one of the best gameplay experiences ever. That might be overexaggerating a little. CMT's gameplay experiences are great, but they've never been anything to be amazed at.

Sergeant 1337

Do you even lift?

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 05:56 PM    Msg. 24 of 1359       
I'm not even going to critique this. If I have fun when playing it, then I have nothing to complain about.

licon4812

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:07 PM    Msg. 25 of 1359       
when will it come out

creator843

I LOVE HALO!

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:11 PM    Msg. 26 of 1359       
Quote: I also believe that CMT has created one of the best Halo gameplay experiences ever.
of halo 1...right?

Kal825B

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:21 PM    Msg. 27 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
Ahem, Lumoria isn't all that brilliant either. So don't go over the top. Yes, you can criticise CMT a bit, but you're being arrogant now, Lodex and Higuy.

But no, I don't think CMT has created one of the best gameplay experiences ever. That might be overexaggerating a little. CMT's gameplay experiences are great, but they've never been anything to be amazed at.

Its a matter of opinion really, but yes, i do think CMT has actually had some legendary encounters in their mods.

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:25 PM    Msg. 28 of 1359       
The only enjoyable CMT "custom" encounter I ever played was the opening one on b30's spv2, and the slew of encounters I made for a30, and b40. The rest was just existing encounters or sloppy ones in new bsp's lol.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:30 PM    Msg. 29 of 1359       
lol, everyone complaining about the textures. Why don't you look a bit closer at the HEV landing zone.. The grass there has the H2 dirt detail map. And all the moss/brick areas.. I have em as moss/sand at the moment (because I didn't even realize it was meant to be brick until when I zipped through 05a on H2V last week for seeing where the pelicans fly in for making my Recorded Animations based off of) nobodies really touched the shaders.. in fact, by the bridge area, the shader doesnt even have any detail maps, its just a giant green and tan smudge from the basemap lol.

(PS, this is what happens when I'm left up to the rough draft shaders. Although moot's hanging plants not being transparent is his fault; I've got all the plant shaders for BSPs I have transparent.)

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:31 PM    Msg. 30 of 1359       
Sorry, but it still looks really bad. Maybe ask Dsalimander for help.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:32 PM    Msg. 31 of 1359       
If you're not a fan of CMT, we stated in the OP that there will be a H1 weaponset version available.

Kal825B

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:35 PM    Msg. 32 of 1359       
"Opinions"
Edited by Caboose 14 on Nov 9, 2012 at 06:38 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:35 PM    Msg. 33 of 1359       
But thats not the issue; its the actual encounters, AI placement, and the original level design that is still there that you are basing it off of. Even if you will be changing weaponsets most of the level design should stay true to how it was before... theres no need to change something thats been found to be great as it is, playtested a million times by professionals, etc. If have any clue on level design and game theory than it should be pretty obvious.

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:40 PM    Msg. 34 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: Caboose 14

"Opinions"
Edited by Caboose 14 on Nov 9, 2012 at 06:38 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 06:41 PM    Msg. 35 of 1359       
delete the SMG and give me a good ol' MA5B, then we'll see where this goes.

Page 1 of 39 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 39 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed January 17, 2018 10:42 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website