A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »For those who said this day would never come, what are they to say now

Page 4 of 39 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 39 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: For those who said this day would never come, what are they to say now (1359 messages, Page 4 of 39)
Moderators: Dennis

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 01:03 AM    Msg. 106 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: mastur cheef
I'll release the BSPs when Waffles is done with the uving.

I'll consume beverage to that.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 03:20 AM    Msg. 107 of 1359       
Wait, are the BSPs being released before the project kicks off? I'm sorry team guys, I'm a little out of the loop cause I have some issues adding Masterz on AIM.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 03:38 AM    Msg. 108 of 1359       
check your PMs. I don't see any reason to release the BSPs before we are done... its just going to lead to confusion and problems without the cutscenes and the the population. If someone wants to do a H2 version, they can easily do so once we're done.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 07:37 AM    Msg. 109 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
check your PMs. I don't see any reason to release the BSPs before we are done... its just going to lead to confusion and problems without the cutscenes and the the population. If someone wants to do a H2 version, they can easily do so once we're done.

You should get a parallell team to make the H2 version once you finished all the common stuff, so we will have a niceversion instead of hundreds of bad attempts.

and people can port quicky by making a tutorial showing where to copy the shader infos for the weapons and how to create basic shaders, since all the Zteam suff has been released, there is no need to make new animations for FP.

even 1 person could do it (*COUGH* WAFFLES *COUGH*)

TauSigmaNova

If love is blind, I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 10:30 AM    Msg. 110 of 1359       
So you stop liking something because of some members?
Eh, you can never reason with your logic,.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 10:42 AM    Msg. 111 of 1359       
Well,2 heads are better than one.
In this case,we have multiple people instead of just one.

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 11:20 AM    Msg. 112 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33

You should get a parallell team to make the H2 version once you finished all the common stuff, so we will have a niceversion instead of hundreds of bad attempts.

and people can port quicky by making a tutorial showing where to copy the shader infos for the weapons and how to create basic shaders, since all the Zteam suff has been released, there is no need to make new animations for FP.

This. An h2 team should be working parallel on this once the common BSPs are finished. Or even a rough can be enough to get started. The release of bad versions is no issue, as people simply don't massively download bad stuff in general. And even then it has no affect on anyone's life, so yeah.

KingFisher

Creativity is the main element of level design.

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 02:32 PM    Msg. 113 of 1359       
I think that you guys should just model the BSPs from scratch. But that is just my opinion/preferences.

But like everyone else was saying, having the original BSPs would be beneficial for the community.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 04:44 PM    Msg. 114 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33

just use zteams tagset, not that hard

rough round the edges but it gets the job done
Edited by Delicon20 on Nov 12, 2012 at 04:44 PM

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 04:52 PM    Msg. 115 of 1359       
Nah, the H2 version also needs the H2 encounters, rigged and animated H2 bipeds, etc.

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 06:01 PM    Msg. 116 of 1359       
As I understand Masterz wants to redo the encounters, that means also redoing the scripts.
Thus the H2 version would probably have to be re-scripted for a large part.

Also, you say "only the encounters would have to be recreated" as if it's a fast simple process.
Oh boy, good luck...

Delicon20

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 06:20 PM    Msg. 117 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original messages by: The Lodeman
As I understand Masterz wants to redo the encounters, that means also redoing the scripts.
Thus the H2 version would probably have to be re-scripted for a large part.

Also, you say "only the encounters would have to be recreated" as if it's a fast simple process.
Oh boy, good luck...

compared to the amount of time and effort everything else takes then, well, yeah I can see how encounters would be simple

unless you have no clue how to make good gameplay then it'd probably suck

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 06:21 PM    Msg. 118 of 1359       
Sorry Delicon, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Delicon20

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 06:23 PM    Msg. 119 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
Sorry Delicon, but you don't know what you're talking about.

the hell I don't

If there's one thing I can do right it's encounters

that and sounds
Edited by Delicon20 on Nov 12, 2012 at 06:33 PM

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 12:53 AM    Msg. 120 of 1359       
The self-proclaimed expert argument usually isn't very convincing without any work that you can show to prove it.
My point is that if you have any experience in decently populating a level, that you should know it is not a simple, easy, quick task that you can quickly do once all tags etc are done.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 01:12 AM    Msg. 121 of 1359       
Lodex is right about encounters not being easy to even replicate, much less create new ones that work well with an already established fighting ground. I doubt there's an "H2 team" anywhere in existence, and even if there were, they would be rendered irrelevant due to the fact that I already have all the major H2 assets ported over (human\elite) unless said team comprised of me, Waffles and anyone else with the will and capacity to work on a Halo 2 conversion. The kicker would be finding a person willing to replicate\create encounters for those maps. Gamma and I once talked about this, that if we had ever acquired the H2 BSPs we would work on them as such with him handling the encounters (something we all know he can do.)

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 01:34 AM    Msg. 122 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: LegionofShadows

I just don't like you.

Dear,

Please refer to the "cup of coffee" post in the CMT thread.
May you walk plenty of warm sands on your road.

Kindest regards!
Lodeman

Just like you Lodex, to take only a small aspect of a post and use it as if it was the whole post. That is one thing I admire about you, apart form your skill; you have the ability to convolute something to the point that your text looks like the truth. Not many people can do that.

If you would actually bother to read the rest of the post, you may learn why some people have a negative attitude to you.

Nickster5000

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 02:17 AM    Msg. 123 of 1359       

Delicon20

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 08:15 AM    Msg. 124 of 1359       
The self-proclaimed expert argument usually isn't very convincing without any work that you can show to prove it.
My point is that if you have any experience in decently populating a level, that you should know it is not a simple, easy, quick task that you can quickly do once all tags etc are done.

I didn't say it was a quick task, I said quicker than pretty much everything else.

and I would show you some of my custom encounters if I hadn't lost everything in a crash, but when I get a new pc better suited for modding than this piece of crap then I'll be sure to make some maps full of custom encounters just for you.
Edited by Delicon20 on Nov 13, 2012 at 08:18 AM

HCDPAMF

Flood love

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 09:16 AM    Msg. 125 of 1359       
A wild random guy appears

It looks promising if I take it as a custom campaign rather than a "Halo 2 remake".
I believe it should to be akin to what the Halo 2 E3 2003 Demo wanted Halo 2 to be...
...Or you can just throw around whatever you want and do whatever you please. Thus you can call it your own version of the campaign...

I also don't think that DMR (If it is what I think it is) belongs there.

I hope you guys do well for the horrid Sacred Icon level.

Halo 2 had some of the absolute best and most stunning encounters of the entire series.
The tank run on mombasa brigde.
The gauss hog gunning section in that same level.
The delta halo drop.
The arbiter missions against the brutes in uprising.
High charity.

All of them absolute jewels of levels, epithamies of awesome level design and gameplay.

But hey, if you claim this will surpass the "heavily flawed gameplay" of Halo 2 then go for it.

Agreed. They were repetitive but fun.
Edited by HCDPAMF on Nov 13, 2012 at 09:21 AM

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 11:34 AM    Msg. 126 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
I didn't say it was a quick task, I said quicker than pretty much everything else.
Edited by Delicon20 on Nov 13, 2012 at 08:18 AM

In general, I disagree. Normally encounter creation is a very iterative process, setting up a rough encounter according to a blue print will be pretty fast, but it's those little details that make the difference which take in so much time. That's not even taking into account when you decide to go back to the drawing board when a certain area isn't working out.

I suppose in this case it's more a matter of encounter replication, rather than creation.
So in that regard indeed it would take less time. But I'm still convinced, from lengthy experience, doing it decently will be a significant, time-consuming task.

Masters said

Mastur cheef, one person should not be in charge of making the decisions in the team. What your team should be saying is "After internal discussion, we reached consensus on only creating the Delta Halo levels". Everyone's opinion is important, not just that of the guy who started the project.

Edited by The Lodeman on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 01:30 PM    Msg. 127 of 1359       
I can give you moral support. And balancing suggestions. But that's about it.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 06:04 PM    Msg. 128 of 1359       
Sacred Icon is a very awesome level, even if it has flood which im not a super big fan of in Halo 2. It combines so many great elements and could easily pass as having one of the biggest atmospheres of the whole game, as long as you exclude High Charity :p

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Nov 13, 2012 06:24 PM    Msg. 129 of 1359       
I think it'd be worth the hassle to do the Arbiter levels. Playing alongside the Elites was probably some of the greatest fun in Halo 2 Singleplayer, not to mention the environments for those level were incredible beyond belief for a game at that time.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on Nov 13, 2012 at 06:24 PM

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 02:54 PM    Msg. 130 of 1359       
It isn't possible to get the quarantine zone bsp as far as I know.

crimsonshadow117

Xfire: crimsonshadow117

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 03:12 PM    Msg. 131 of 1359       
I got 2 bsp's ingame for a level masters1337 asked me to do. There is still more to port but I want to give what I have so far. So who do I give it to and in what format?
Edited by crimsonshadow117 on Nov 14, 2012 at 03:13 PM

crimsonshadow117

Xfire: crimsonshadow117

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 03:37 PM    Msg. 132 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
I would assume the entire team, I can work on shaders, cheef can check it over, kirby is probably still working on 05a, so he may not need it right now.

ok I'll pm cheef so he can check it over.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 04:15 PM    Msg. 133 of 1359       
You can PM it to me too, I'm assuming that they dont have any instance geometry right? I can still start prepping encounters in them until I get 05a's 02 bsp.

antiblood

Hail satan, smoke mehth

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 04:16 PM    Msg. 134 of 1359       
yaa when i first saw this thread i was thinking the whole time, didnt crimsonshadow port the bsp already? sure it was flawed n shiz but non the less it would save so much time knowing from my experience playing with the delta halo bsp.

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 01:44 AM    Msg. 135 of 1359       

Masters said

Mastur cheef, one person should not be in charge of making the decisions in the team. What your team should be saying is "After internal discussion, we reached consensus on only creating the Delta Halo levels". Everyone's opinion is important, not just that of the guy who started the project.

Edited by The Lodeman on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Masterz didn't say "Oh, I decided we will just be doing Delta Halo levels." As the introducer of the thread, he was stating what would happen.

If you want him to say 'after internal discussion, we reached consensus on only creating Delta Halo leves" I am sure he would be fine doing it.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 02:14 AM    Msg. 136 of 1359       
It was my plan to do delta halo orginaly, everyone seemed okay with it. I would like to do the Gravemind mission next, followed by mombassa and then cairo. I don't personally see much value in the arbiter levels, due to the story constricting the gameplay as well the amount of work that would have to go into it for the covie assets. Of course I'm open to discussion on it, but I don't think Arbiter missions are a great idea, nor do I have much interest in doing them.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 06:13 AM    Msg. 137 of 1359       
"story constricting gameplay"

uhhh, what?

Most of the arbiter levels are some of the most fun Halo 2 levels (except maybe the gas giant level, imo) and all of them contribute to the story.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 10:39 AM    Msg. 138 of 1359       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
"story constricting gameplay"

uhhh, what?

Most of the arbiter levels are some of the most fun Halo 2 levels (except maybe the gas giant level, imo) and all of them contribute to the story.

I find that most arbiter missions are unfun because you are only given covenant weapons, rarely fight the covenant (unless it's brutes.. yuck), and don't have access to all the vehicles for vehicle missions.

Masters1337

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 11:02 AM    Msg. 139 of 1359       
I enjoy the scope and depth of the story the arbiter missions bring, and I thought the arbiter storyline had a much more interesting group of characters, but I just found the gameplay lacking. The cutscenes from those areas are some of my favorite of the series, as well as the general atmosphere.

The Lodeman

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 11:38 AM    Msg. 140 of 1359       
When I think of the arbiter missions I think of the uprising missions.
The bit where you and a bunch of elite allies stormed the pine forest filled with brute ambushes was so great that it was among the chosen missions to be replayed in co-op time and time again by me and my friends. I even preferred going on foot in the first bit, as opposed to using a ghost, because the combat is so "up close and personal" with brutes.

While the brute animations and AI were a bit rugged compared to other characters, there was something intensily satisfying about killing a group of them, be it with energy swords, plasma grenades + explosive creates, hiding behind a hunter pair for cover.

That's how I experienced these levels, damn fine ones.

Page 4 of 39 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 39 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat June 23, 2018 5:37 PM 437 ms.
A Halo Maps Website