A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] RPG_Beta7

Page 1 of 7 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] RPG_Beta7 (218 messages, Page 1 of 7)
Moderators: Dennis

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 12:55 PM    Msg. 1 of 218       
Seeing how today's testing was a success, the map will be released officially TOMORROW (Jan 10th 2013) with a link first posted on the RPG_Beta xFire group.

We will also have a launch party, on our official dedicated. Anyone can join, no restriction. Link will be up around 5:30PM Eastern and will be submitted to the Halomaps Archive accordingly.

xfire.com/communities/rpgbeta/ <--To join

Alright, I guess it's time I make an official topic for it. After a couple years of break and working on various other projects, I have officially returned to RPG_Beta mapping.

While I have never actually stopped working on multiplayer projects, real life being what it is my time has been fairly limited until a couple months ago when I finally could resume at top speed development.

The map that has been known as "Curse" during development is now officially called RPG_Beta7.

Q&A

What is RPG_Beta?

RPG_Beta is the longest standing RPG maps series on Halo Custom Edition. Started by Gibbo in the original RPG_Beta and RPG_Beta3 series, continued later by Gibbo, Terrel and I during RPG_beta4 and then by me (OpsY) for RPG_Beta5, RPG_Beta6, RPG_Beta6.2 and Sanctuary_Final and forthcoming RPG_Beta7

What is RPG_Beta7?

RPG_Beta7 follows the path of previous releases. It is a huge scale RPG map. It is a SPACE based map, featuring many new groundbreaking RPG features and for the first time, it features a COVENANT aspect. Now, to try once again to address the issue, RPG_Beta is the name of the series with the number being the Iteration.

What's the story?
You are up to make any story you want out of it. The outline, however, reads as this: Set in orbit over the planet Andorra, the UNSC Frigate Citadel of Quebec FFG-099 answers a distress call from UNSC Levis station to repel a covenant CCS-class cruiser named the "Contingent Faith". Battle as part of the 5th EVA Platoon in space, Pilot Sparrowhawks in high orbit or be part of the Citadel of Quebec's Security squads and fight off boarders

What points of interest are featured in the map?

A UNSC Frigate with full interior, a covenant cruiser with full interior, a Scientific research station on an asteroid, Human satellites, Forerunner ruins, The Beetle dropship, a crashing prowler and much more.

Anything Epic?

You can control the UNSC Citadel of Quebec FFG-099 frigate's Defensive turrets,Fire it's MAC Cannon, Call in bombing runs, have Spirit dropships besiege you, Repel Boarding crafts, Take control of the Blizzard Remote Defense Satellite, Plant a nuclear device inside the Covenant Cruiser "Contigent Faith"or Fire Plasma torpedoes. That and much, much more.

And if I like it more quiet?

Extensive work is being put in the map to make it living. You can spend your time studying forerunner artifacts, sit down in one of the Frigate's mess, do ship RPs in either of the following human vessel: Frigate, Beetle, or even a crashing down prowler

Will it be balanced for combat?

As usual, not at all. The map is designed for 3 main things: Push Halo's limits even further, Roleplaying and Having fun.

For how long has the map been in development?

Even before RPG_Beta6 itself. I have been working part time on this for a long time. I have 4 or 5 other maps in the same situations on which I have worked on over the years but that are nowhere near release

When will it be released?

I don't have a set release date but I would be tempted to say sooner than later. I would try to have it all finished before Christmas although I may have to delay it a bit

Anything else to expect soon?

I am hoping to release at least one other map this year using the assets and the R&D I put in 7. The next release could be compared to RPG_Beta6.2's little brother, Sanctuary_Final

Who is working on the map?

OpsY is the main developer (BSP, Concept, Production) but several people have been of help over the last years. I would point here Kcaj300 for enduring my endless bitching and questioning. He's been great support in pinpointing design issues and help find fixes. More recently, M16 Assault has filled a similar role. He's also providing some RP elements to be revealed later. Also, Me_Ks' work on RPG_Beta6.2 is being used partly in RPG_Beta7 to push Multiplayer scripting to another level.

Is any help needed?

Help on RPG_Beta projects is always welcome, if any developer would like to give a hand, produce assets then that would be most appreciated. RPG_Beta maps are huge in term of scale and development time and I am only 1 man, and only have so much time.

Can we have pictures now?

They are low quality xFire pictures, i'm not at home so I can't get anything better at this time and they are also outdated. More will come by the end of the week

--OpsY
Edited by OpsY on Nov 27, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Edited by OpsY on Dec 3, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Edited by OpsY on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:02 PM    Msg. 2 of 218       
Wow hoping to see how it ends , RPG Beta 6 was a hugeeee map!!!=D
Edited by PRPatxi on Nov 27, 2012 at 01:03 PM

iamyourenemy

(DELETE MY ACCOUNT)

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:12 PM    Msg. 3 of 218       
Interesting indeed this is.

I am looking forward to this =)

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:14 PM    Msg. 4 of 218       
those uv's

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:16 PM    Msg. 5 of 218       
Awesome. Always great to see another roleplaying map. :D

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:39 PM    Msg. 6 of 218       
Quote: --- Original message by: ptowery
those uv's

Exactly

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:44 PM    Msg. 7 of 218       
I forgot to write in the Q&A perhaps, UVs in a RPG_Beta map definitely aren't the point. I don't make maps for UVs I make them for the gameplay. If you look for visual Quality then you should look at CMT stuff.

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 01:59 PM    Msg. 8 of 218       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
I forgot to write in the Q&A perhaps, UVs in a RPG_Beta map definitely aren't the point. I don't make maps for UVs I make them for the gameplay. If you look for visual Quality then you should look at CMT stuff.

Did you do it on purpose? or is it because you have no one who knows how to do uv's? I just want to know why.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 03:19 PM    Msg. 9 of 218       
uvw and good textures arent that hard. In rpg beta 6 they both were terrible. Im not saying that gameplay was bad.

Nickster5000

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 03:26 PM    Msg. 10 of 218       
I don't make maps for UVs I make them for the gameplay.

Get someone to help you out, or learn how to then?

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 03:43 PM    Msg. 11 of 218       
I could do them easily.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 03:50 PM    Msg. 12 of 218       
I would say that first it is because I don't know how to. Secondly, the reason I don't know how is mostly a question of motivation. The amount of work required on a RPG_Beta map is incredible (not saying other projects aren't) and the motive, the thing that fuels me to keep doing is creativity. Once an asset is created, I have a lot of trouble spending 3 times the time it took to "create it" to then "refine" it. I understand why many people don't like that, if people want to help I've always said I'm fine with it. For RPG_Beta7 however I'm not opening the BSP file anymore unless something Major comes out. For next maps however, I'm always open to receive some help, as I've said in the first post.

Agent Rhode Island

Posted: Nov 29, 2012 06:37 PM    Msg. 13 of 218       
Hey try to make it so you can crawl and use the beds and chairs.

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 30, 2012 03:02 AM    Msg. 14 of 218       
I would say that first it is because I don't know how to. Secondly, the reason I don't know how is mostly a question of motivation. The amount of work required on a RPG_Beta map is incredible (not saying other projects aren't) and the motive, the thing that fuels me to keep doing is creativity. Once an asset is created, I have a lot of trouble spending 3 times the time it took to "create it" to then "refine" it. I understand why many people don't like that, if people want to help I've always said I'm fine with it. For RPG_Beta7 however I'm not opening the BSP file anymore unless something Major comes out. For next maps however, I'm always open to receive some help, as I've said in the first post.

I don't see why you can't give someone a max file when you're done with the bsp in max and ready to export. Not having textures fit to the model can leave a huge gap in immersion which is a huge part in a map based on role play. It's more than worth it as it would be to have someone help you/or for you to learn for yourself how to fix a serious geometry error. It's important, and even if you don't mind it, it would make it more entertaining for all the fans of your map if you did.

Tape City

New Flyer 2306: The Howler Monkey Bus

Posted: Nov 30, 2012 07:45 AM    Msg. 15 of 218       
Will there be an open version of the map?

ptowery

oify

Posted: Nov 30, 2012 11:33 AM    Msg. 16 of 218       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tape City
Will there be an open version of the map?

Please read the thread next time.

licon4812

Posted: Dec 1, 2012 07:34 PM    Msg. 17 of 218       
i cant wait intill the map is released

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 1, 2012 08:31 PM    Msg. 18 of 218       
Yesterday I had a first Beta in a long time and it was very positive. I tracked down about 5 bugs that need addressing for now, each of them I believe I can fix the most serious involves one of the scripts featured in the map, namingly the Spirit dropship scripts. I am not quite a scripter. While I understand scripts and can do SP ones, multiplayer scripts of this scale are pretty tough. Good thing is, most of them work 100%. Only one has an issue serious enough to fix.

I am hoping to have further Betas along this week

licon4812

Posted: Dec 1, 2012 10:35 PM    Msg. 19 of 218       
ok well when the betas come out post or send me a link please

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 10:13 AM    Msg. 20 of 218       

licon4812

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 05:17 PM    Msg. 21 of 218       
cool you need to fix them sitting on couches there legs go through

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 06:27 PM    Msg. 22 of 218       
Well most of the issues are fixed, really there's almost nothing left to add before final testing and release

licon4812

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 02:54 AM    Msg. 23 of 218       
ok can i test

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 12:03 PM    Msg. 24 of 218       
Right now, the main project is the Biped. I probably will have to delay the map a little bit. I figure, however, that it is worth it. We've broken into some very interesting mechanic that will allow us to do things we couldn't even dream of only a few weeks back.

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 08:18 PM    Msg. 25 of 218       
We've broken into some very interesting mechanic that will allow us to do things we couldn't even dream of only a few weeks back.

Care to elaborate? ;)
Any conceptual additions could be useful in the future...

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 09:13 PM    Msg. 26 of 218       
Simply put, it is so great I don't wanna spoil it until I can firmly announce it's ready, looking neat and kicking butts

LegionofShadows

The Red Pill is strong in this one.

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 04:24 AM    Msg. 27 of 218       
I love how you constantly innovate in the field of butt-kicking awesomeness.

What sort of tagset will be used? The CMT tagset would be great, and there aren't many others.

Is there a possibility you may be doing a second Sanctuary final-esque map, after this? That was always my favorite rping map; its a shame not many people played it.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 12:56 PM    Msg. 28 of 218       
Depending on the reception (And granting myself some time off), I have planned a series of map called the Andorra Series which are all expected to be roughly similar in term of gameplay to Sanctuary_Final. They are to share a tagset and be easier to produce. Many items created for RPG_Beta7 would be used to fuel them.

RPG_Beta7 also introduces "Andorra", as it's the planet you are orbiting around during gameplay.

The thing that will make the difference with the Andorra Series will be the help I can get to produce the BSPs (2D and 3D art assets).

licon4812

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 10:09 PM    Msg. 29 of 218       
maby a life pod that shoots out of a pillar of autom and landes on a planet or maby a longsword who knows ?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Dec 6, 2012 11:35 PM    Msg. 30 of 218       
There's no Pillar of Autumn on the map, so your idea is already out the door

Also to Ptowery (sorry if i spelled the name wrong):
I've offered to unwrap the entirity of the ship over a month ago, and at that point OpsY said ok, but he claims that it would be too difficult for him to go over everything and the possibility of phantom bsp exists (Which i dont understand how that would be an issue if im not modifying the model, just the unwraps). He's too scared of possible errors that he doesnt want to risk having to delay the map more than it already is

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 01:11 AM    Msg. 31 of 218       
It's worth it. I'm looking at your 6.2 bsp in 3ds now and it's horribly unoptimized, I think that's why you were getting phantombsp and that sky error. Can you post a max wireframe of your this one?

You can always save what you have now, give me a copy and if you don't like the improvements then use the one you have now.

Do you use some kind of modified tool to get your stuff ingame? i'm catching error after error in max that tool should definitely catch when compiling; or was that just from my extracting it?
Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 7, 2012 at 01:22 AM

licon4812

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 01:42 AM    Msg. 32 of 218       
there was a pilla of autum in rpg beta 6.2 and a life pod

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 02:07 AM    Msg. 33 of 218       
Let's be honest, the Lifepod implementation could've been pulled off much better.
And that wasn't the actual Pillar of Autumn -that's Opsy's Prowler that LOOKS like the PoA.

If you want to see the real PoA model, I'd go to Extinction.

In otherwords... Opsy, if an unwrap will solve your problems in the process, I'd go for it if
I were you. As a player, I'd love to see an RP map with better textures, after all :D

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 11:55 AM    Msg. 34 of 218       
As Sniper said, I've had issues with past maps that were nearly complete,(RPG_Beta5, Enconstruction) populated and all that ended up crashing and getting corrupted by trying to fix UVs. Not saying it's common. Saying I've put too much work on population, scripts implementing and such to take that risk.

Also, just to be clear there is no Issue with the map right now. No huge bug, nothing but UVs and content left to tune up and add.

As for the guy who talked about optimization in beta 6.2, I don't agree with that statement. RPG_Beta6 Was terribly unoptimized but Beta6.2 is quite better.

Again, the issue with the sky disappearing from some angle isn't related to this. It's caused by the total amount of polies rendered by the map, which is far above anything you're used to in a regular map.
Edited by OpsY on Dec 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM

licon4812

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 02:51 PM    Msg. 35 of 218       
get the shotting star tags

Page 1 of 7 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed August 12, 2020 12:18 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website