A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »A Moment of Silence for those in Newtown CT

Author Topic: A Moment of Silence for those in Newtown CT (30 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 01:34 PM    Msg. 1 of 30       
Please take a moment to reflect on the events that occurred last Friday in Newtown Connecticut. Words cannot match the depths of their sorrow, nor can they heal their wounded hearts. We can only hope it helps them to know that they are not alone in their grief. Our friends over at Lame or Game posted this picture in remembrance of those that were lost.

I live in Connecticut and though not directly touched by this tragedy am nonetheless deeply saddened and heartbroken over these events. I am asking everyone here to offer a moment of silence for the victims.

Charlotte
Daniel
Olivia
Josephine
Ana
Dylan
Madeleine
Catherine
Chase
Jesse
James
Grace
Emilie
Jack
Noah
Caroline
Jessica
Benjamin
Avielle
Allison

Anyone wishing to make a contribution to assist the families may do so at any of the following links.

https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/
United Way of Western Connecticut, along with Newtown Savings Bank, has created the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. The fund will help provide support services to the affected families as well as the greater community.

http://www.newtownyouthandfamilyservices.org/donate.php
Newtown Youth & Family Services, Inc., a nonprofit mental health clinic, is providing emergency counseling for families, community members and staff involved in the shooting. Donations will benefit those affected.

https://www.facebook.com/NewtownMemorialFund?ref=stream
The Newtown Memorial Fund is a Facebook page set up to take donations and recruit volunteers for Newtown families and the greater community.

The US Postal Service has added a PO Box for those who wish to send letters of condolence to the residents of Newtown. Please address mail to: Message of Condolence, PO Box 3700, Newtown, CT 06470.

I will leave this topic open for those who wish to extend their condolences but I will not abide by any inappropriate posts or discussion. If this degenerates I will delete the accounts of the offenders.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 02:26 PM    Msg. 2 of 30       
I've been glued to the news about this as well, you always see these stories but don't expect them to happen in your state, let alone so close to home (I live in Stamford, about an hour away, the rest of my family lives within 10 minutes from Newtown).

As important to remember the victims, we should all give a moment of silence for the heroes in the school that day, including the many adults who tried to rush the gunman and died trying, and Victoria Soto, who hid her children and lied to the gunman before he shot her dead. She alone saved at least 20 children with her selfless sacrifice.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 03:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 30       
there seems to be more of these than normal, is it because people use past incidents as some storage "justification", or is it a sign of todays global depression and its effect upon the people?

either way, it's sad that the people we are supposed to respect are doing such things.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 03:23 PM    Msg. 4 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88

Lives lost, you did not deserve to die, not like that. All those effected, you have my condolences. I hope you pull through your losses.

I can't believe someone in their right mind

R.I.P

Sorry, Dennis, I had to get that out

Edited by goldkilla88 on Dec 18, 2012 at 03:17 PM

I dont think that was the case.

This reminds me of Dunblaine, and saddens me deeply.
Edited by Maniac1000 on Dec 18, 2012 at 03:24 PM

xKRONNiKx

Turkey Farm.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 03:45 PM    Msg. 5 of 30       
Two damn weeks before Christmas, and that piece of trash does that! That's 15+ families who won't have their children back for the holidays . Now that is Sad. And that doesn't include the families of staff members... :/

You know, if you're gonna go on a rampage, kill your own PARENTS and a bunch of innocent children, THINK FOR A MINUTE. You dont have to drag all those innocents down because of your bullcrap psychotic "issues", JUST SHOOT YOURSELF! no sense punishing people for nothing at all!
What a pitiful example of a human being.

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 04:17 PM    Msg. 6 of 30       
It is really sad that something like this could happen. Especially to school children of ages five and six.

But this is a wake up call to gun control. Many unfortunate events have occurred this year with guns such as the Batman shooting in California. I am afraid if the president try's to control guns, he won't do well in the next elections.

The NRA say "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Which is true but is the exact reason why we should restrict these kind of weaponry to these kinds of people. Weapons such as the high powered AR-15 used in the killings.

But this is just my opinion and please don't flame.

RIP
Edited by Cheddars on Dec 18, 2012 at 04:25 PM

clonecam117

Now a professional VFX/particle effect artist.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 04:22 PM    Msg. 7 of 30       
Many believe it is because supposedly the apocalypse is coming (in 3 days). i think that on the 21st we could possibly expect to see more things like this, so brace yourselves.

They found that the killer was autistic, schizophrenic, AND had MPD. so he was not in his right mind.

My deepest condolences to the families of these children who were taken from them far too early. This will be a very sad christmas for all of us.

and RIP the many adults who selflessly gave their lives to help the children.

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 04:28 PM    Msg. 8 of 30       
I think there needs to be a change in mentality mainly, limiting gun control will lead to the good people handing over their weapons, while the criminals and bad people will just keep theirs regardless. The media also plays a poor role in this, often focusing more on the person who comited these despicable acts, rather than focusing on the victims. On some news sites they even compare and almost "rank" the resulting tragedies against eachother. And then you get these huge articles about "who was the killer?" The media needs to play less of a sensational role, the criminals should get no attention.

With that out of the way, I of course also think these events are tragedies that I can't wrap my mind around. It reminds me of an event that happened in belgium a year or so ago, where a young man went into a creche with babies and toddlers and killed them with a knife...very sad.

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 04:31 PM    Msg. 9 of 30       
Rest In Peace...

We keep the victims of the shooting close in our prayers...

A deep respect goes out to the adults who bravely sacrificed themselves for the children...
Edited by Caboose 14 on Dec 18, 2012 at 04:33 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 04:50 PM    Msg. 10 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
I think there needs to be a change in mentality mainly, limiting gun control will lead to the good people handing over their weapons, while the criminals and bad people will just keep theirs regardless. The media also plays a poor role in this, often focusing more on the person who comited these despicable acts, rather than focusing on the victims. On some news sites they even compare and almost "rank" the resulting tragedies against eachother. And then you get these huge articles about "who was the killer?" The media needs to play less of a sensational role, the criminals should get no attention.

With that out of the way, I of course also think these events are tragedies that I can't wrap my mind around. It reminds me of an event that happened in belgium a year or so ago, where a young man went into a creche with babies and toddlers and killed them with a knife...very sad.

I agree with this. I think the shooter wanted to get attention before killing himself. It disgusts me.
The media has been interviewing distressed survivors of these victims to add to the sensationalism. The whole thing is just fudged up.
I've heard about knifing incidents in China as well, similar to this situation. Take away the guns, but it won't stop a madman.

Greatest respect to the ones who died and who gave their lives to save others. They will be missed.
Edited by MoooseGuy on Dec 18, 2012 at 04:51 PM

clonecam117

Now a professional VFX/particle effect artist.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 04:58 PM    Msg. 11 of 30       
I know i've already posted here, but there's one thing i would like to say, and this goes out to the friends or family of those that were killed:

I am so sorry for the horrific loss you have encountered. I have had a very close friend get shot and killed and i somewhat know how you feel, and that you wonder how anybody could've done something as cruel as this. but it is your child you lost, which is more than just a close friend. i can't lie and say that we truly know how you feel, because i doubt any of us will ever have to endure what you have. but i think i speak for all of us when we say that our hearts go out to you. i literally cried when i first heard of this incident, and i think it is something that none of us will ever forget. I haven't forgotton my friend Justin, and when i think of what has happened to you i get a feeling of how...small my loss was. From all of us here at the halo maps forum, we are sorry.

guys, please contribute to the families.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 06:11 PM    Msg. 12 of 30       
Rest in peace,little ones.

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 06:26 PM    Msg. 13 of 30       
Requiescant in pace pueri americanum,sit Deus misericors
Edited by LMT Heretic on Dec 18, 2012 at 06:27 PM

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 06:54 PM    Msg. 14 of 30       
I live near Newtown in Powys and was again annoyed seeing the name of a Newtown in America(Y Drenewydd/Newtown, Powys came first).

But hate aside, good luck to those families trying to recover from the shock from this. It's always terrible for people to die, and obviously the families of the victims are the most affected aside from the victims themselves.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 08:47 PM    Msg. 15 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: LMT Heretic

Italian,eh?

LMT Heretic

There are mysteries, that should remain hidden...

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 08:50 PM    Msg. 16 of 30       
in fact is latin, but they are quite similar so, i understand the mistake

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 08:53 PM    Msg. 17 of 30       
Who cares.
Most European languages look pretty similar.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 09:13 PM    Msg. 18 of 30       
It's all about the psychology.

If you've got a spare 8 minutes, hear this out: WARNING: Explicit language http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rwG_gx2lk
He makes extremely good points.
Edited by Spartan314 on Dec 18, 2012 at 09:14 PM

The_Arbiter

I feel like having scotch

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 09:19 PM    Msg. 19 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: LMT Heretic

OMG he's Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 09:56 PM    Msg. 20 of 30       
Let's all have a moment of silence for the those who have died recently.
Edited by Dumb AI on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

The_Arbiter

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 10:19 PM    Msg. 21 of 30       
How the hell do we have a moment of silence on the internet.
This topic is off topic.
Edited by The_Arbiter on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 10:26 PM    Msg. 22 of 30       
-.- ?

are you guys serious, you can't even pass up a flamewar when people have died?

The_Arbiter

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 10:52 PM    Msg. 23 of 30       
I didn't mean to, they died that's bad but move on but the past behind us

The_Arbiter

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 10:58 PM    Msg. 24 of 30       
I highly doubt that your family was killed in a school shooting and i do understand so let us stop this argument.
Edited by The_Arbiter on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 11:02 PM    Msg. 25 of 30       
Need I remind you that I will delete the accounts of offenders of this thread.

Jaz

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 01:48 AM    Msg. 26 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: The_Arbiter
I didn't mean to, they died that's bad but move on but the past behind us

That is my belief too, but remember, though this belief makes a lot of sense, a large part of the reasoning for pitying the families of the victims is that they can't deal with incidents like this easily. (Was trying to think of a better way to put that but take it or leave it)

DarkLord0912

Works on bigger and better things

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 03:29 AM    Msg. 27 of 30       
RIP

Do not judge a song by its duration
Nor by the number of its notes
Judge it by the richness of its contents
Sometimes those unfinished are among the most poignant…
Do not judge a song by its duration
Nor by the number of its notes
Judge it by the way it touches and lifts the soul
Sometimes those unfinished are among the most beautiful…
And when something has enriched your life
And when it’s melody lingers on in your heart.
Is it unfinished?
Or is it endless?

licon4812

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 04:36 AM    Msg. 28 of 30       
i watched the news and herd what happend even though i live in australia i still feel a great deal of saddnes and empethy to the familes and a extrodinary anger for the paronoid person who did it

Jaz

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 12:48 PM    Msg. 29 of 30       
Quote: --- Original message by: sshers1
Ya and the sad part is in newtown no one wouldn't celebrate Christmas now because of this.

Any confirmation of this whatsoever?

licon4812

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 11:29 PM    Msg. 30 of 30       
the paronoid son of a bitch rowend christmass

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 5, 2020 4:45 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website