A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Expanding the HCE forum and update suggestions

Author Topic: Expanding the HCE forum and update suggestions (22 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 02:09 PM    Msg. 1 of 22       
I feel that there are some changes that would make the Halomaps forum a more active, and manageable place, and I am fully prepared to defend these opinions

ADDITIONS
general topics thread
site suggestions thread
"report user" option
"report post/thread" option
add spoiler tag support ([spoiler][/spoiler])

MODIFICATIONS
allow for the deletion of individual posts - this will cut down on spam, and forum flame
allow for comments/reviews in the maps thread (accessible only to registered members)

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 02:39 PM    Msg. 2 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket
I feel that there are some changes that would make the Halomaps forum a more active, and manageable place, and I am fully prepared to defend these opinions
While I appreciate your input and will take these ideas under advisement. Changes to the forum will not be forthcoming anytime soon.

I will however address the things that will not occur
ADDITIONS
general topics thread
This will never happen. This forum was setup to be a ON-Topic forum only and that is the charter. General and off-topic subject sections will not happen.

MODIFICATIONS
allow for comments/reviews in the maps thread (accessible only to registered members)
I am assuming that you mean to allow comments on the hce.halomaps.org file archive for each map. That is not going to happen either. I first thought about doing that, thought it might help people decide on the maps, but just look at the comments in the forum and you can see why I decided against it. Managing a comment section as well as the forum is outside the scope of what I am will to invest in the websites. And no you can't help. As for the reasons you can look in the FAQ for as to why and it will also answer many other questions normally asked.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 02:54 PM    Msg. 3 of 22       
Understandable

thank you for the consideration, if anything, I think the ability to delete single posts, and a report post option would be the most important.

flameomega

My animation portfolio http://farzad.csprance.com/

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 05:23 PM    Msg. 4 of 22       
Maybe adding the ability to rate posts : o? (like how facepunch does it?)

Dennis

Posted: Dec 20, 2012 10:02 PM    Msg. 5 of 22       
I think the ability to delete single posts,
Since you can edit your post the need to delete one is not something I would entertain. as it is It allows people to post something then remove it before getting into trouble. Deleting the post entirely would make it worse. If anything I would prefer to keep everything including a published post's revisions.

Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket a report post option would be the most important.
This is one of the things I had on the to-do list.
Quote: --- Original message by: flameomega
Maybe adding the ability to rate posts
As useless as that function is it is something that could be added so I'll add it to the to-do list.

Edited by Dennis on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 02:08 AM    Msg. 6 of 22       
On the topic of rating posts, you could perhaps also include rating entire threads.

Fusion

Even fools are wise when they do not speak.

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 04:08 AM    Msg. 7 of 22       
What if we had a button next to each thread that would take us to where we last left off in the thread like the one below?

The NEW post feature on Halomaps is convenient but often times, to get to the post we last left off on, we have to scroll (sometimes a lot considering there are walls of text/pictures) through 30 posts to get to the 31st. Also considering someone is gone for a day or two and has no idea what page he left off on (as some topics can build up several pages quite quickly).

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 07:50 AM    Msg. 8 of 22       
Dennis, users should be able to rate threads rather then rate posts, that way others can see that maybe some threads are more interesting then others.

game user10

Who is the Overseer?

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 07:54 AM    Msg. 9 of 22       
Looks like there are more =DG= here than I thought...

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 08:56 AM    Msg. 10 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88
Spoiler tags would be useful, a major cut down on giant whole-page posts.

flameomega

My animation portfolio http://farzad.csprance.com/

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 11:48 AM    Msg. 11 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

Quote: --- Original message by: flameomega
Maybe adding the ability to rate posts
As useless as that function is it is something that could be added so I'll add it to the to-do list.

Edited by Dennis on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Haha sorry but thanks x)

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 10:01 PM    Msg. 12 of 22       
so... how far along is the to-do list?

can we expect anything with the year?

Yoda

Do or do not, there is no try

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 09:36 AM    Msg. 13 of 22       
I think the report function might be nice, and the spoiler tags could be usefull. But I am very glad that he isn't adding any off topic sections. I personally like things the way they are mostly.

Honestly, no matter what he does, so long as he keeps this site up I will love it. lol.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:55 AM    Msg. 14 of 22       
Lestat is right. Whatever you may think of it.

Dennis has gifted this community with hundred of hours of time over the years, is providing us with a stable community hub and host. While he does have a to-do list, I think he knows his business is what should come first.

Now of course, many in the past have offered to help Dennis moderate the forums, give a hand in diverse topics but he has always refused for "safety" reasons. While I personally do not agree with that reason since even pro forums often use "guest" admins (such as Bungie.net), it's his site and his decisions.

Therefore, I think we should ask ourselves what We can do to help this site run better. Of course there's all the good conduct stuff but also on the monetary aspect. Hosting all these maps does cost something. There's a "Donate" button on the homepage to help defer the cost of bandwidth. Not everyone has the money to contribute but for some of us who have grown here and do have the means to spend if only 5$ should consider doing it.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:04 AM    Msg. 15 of 22       
this website is corporate owned, only employees may be moderators, and Dennis is the only employee here.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 03:29 PM    Msg. 16 of 22       
this website is corporate owned, only employees may be moderators, and Dennis is the only employee here.

Hopefully you did read the rest of the message. That's not my point. Dennis does what he wants and sets the rule he wants. Just like Bungie allows non-employees to moderate a corporate owned website.

Quote: --- Original message by: LestattThis site is practically free for him

I bet he'd be extremely happy to disagree with this statement. Besides, the Time he spends on this site isn't something you count on money. That's something you learn over the years.

Quote: --- Original message by: Lestat
It's a legal liability of sorts, very complicated and messy.

You wish. All in all, he's stated it's for security and safety, to avoid exploits and others, I guess. In the end, it's his site and he makes his rule thus I do not wish to challenge that or change them. Just don't make silly excuses.

and also generates ad revenue.

And it also generated insane bandwidth cost

In the end, instead of picking on a part of my message where I simple state "Dennis makes his own rule even others do differently", I refer both of you to the intro and Outro of my message.
Dennis is contributing a lot to this community and anything we/you can do to help, you should do. And that sometimes means donating money.

(I put that in bold so you don't miss it this time, no offense)

Dennis

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:24 PM    Msg. 17 of 22       
This site is practically free for him, as he hosts a list of other websites that are for monetary gain.
I can assure you that these sites are not anywhere near "practically free" to run. They are subsidized in a small part by the ads on the site and a major part by UXB Internet which by that I mean me. The flack I take in the forum from the users pales in comparison to the scathing steely eyed stares I receive from my accountant each month as we review the books. Especially since the recession dealt a crippling blow to the market segment we serve. Nothing about these sites is free or even close to it. They all cost real money. Money she would prefer go to other things.

. If he has people inside his company moderate, then this website would be even more money down the drain. Halomaps.org serves as an example of his site hosting abilities (for future customers) and also generates ad revenue.
It is much simpler that that. I have contracts with my corporate clients that prevent me from allowing non employees or paying contracted customers from accessing the administration functions of any of the servers or applications we host.

As for these sites being an example of our capabilities.... we tend to hide that fact as it does not fit our actual client base and often is a detriment or extended discussion when known.
Edited by Dennis on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:51 PM    Msg. 18 of 22       
I'm confused, you don't want people to see this site as an example, but 3 of its pages are in the first page of your portfolio? :S

In terms of operating cost, How much of a money hole is this site?

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 02:01 AM    Msg. 19 of 22       
Poll support? It'd be really useful for critique on things such as map design, etc.

Dennis

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 02:30 AM    Msg. 20 of 22       
I'm confused, you don't want people to see this site as an example, but 3 of its pages are in the first page of your portfolio? :S
I understand your confusion. Design and ownership are two different things in the realm of customer perceptions. We don't deny it we just don't use it as a selling point.

In terms of operating cost, How much of a money hole is this site?
We do not expose financial information but let's just say I could have purchased a new car... or two.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 09:40 AM    Msg. 21 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

This site is practically free for him, as he hosts a list of other websites that are for monetary gain.
I can assure you that these sites are not anywhere near "practically free" to run. They are subsidized in a small part by the ads on the site and a major part by UXB Internet which by that I mean me. The flack I take in the forum from the users pales in comparison to the scathing steely eyed stares I receive from my accountant each month as we review the books. Especially since the recession dealt a crippling blow to the market segment we serve. Nothing about these sites is free or even close to it. They all cost real money. Money she would prefer go to other things.

. If he has people inside his company moderate, then this website would be even more money down the drain. Halomaps.org serves as an example of his site hosting abilities (for future customers) and also generates ad revenue.
It is much simpler that that. I have contracts with my corporate clients that prevent me from allowing non employees or paying contracted customers from accessing the administration functions of any of the servers or applications we host.

As for these sites being an example of our capabilities.... we tend to hide that fact as it does not fit our actual client base and often is a detriment or extended discussion when known.
Edited by Dennis on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Thanks for confirming what I've been trying to say.

Dennis

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 03:25 PM    Msg. 22 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheHiralis
Well, a poll option would be redundant really,
The poll feature has already been disabled.

However, a tutorials thread would be very useful.
I know there is disagreement about this but a forum, unless one specifically designed for it which this isn't, is not the place to archive tutorials because old threads get deleted over time and the information gets lost. That is why we have tutorials sections in the file archive and in the video site.

Now, another widget, that I personally think would be useful, would be the "hide post" so that if you see something that is generally stupid or want to ignore it,
One of the things on the to do list is a hide posts from user feature.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 9:02 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website