A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] HAC 2 alpha/preview

Page 2 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: [Release] HAC 2 alpha/preview (214 messages, Page 2 of 7)
Moderators: Dennis

blastroid

Love and Tolerate

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 06:16 AM    Msg. 36 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
Quote: --- Original message by: blastroid
when i open halo i got this error:

"Unable to load HAC! Error Code:126"

and then my Halo Shuts down :T
That's normal for v1.00ce. Just start Halo after that message again.
yeah i did that but still gives me the same error :T

Yoda

Do or do not, there is no try

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 09:53 AM    Msg. 37 of 214       
This may be a stupid question but, do both the server and client have to have this (like OS) or will some features not work if only 1 has it or does it not matter?

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 10:53 AM    Msg. 38 of 214       
So I think that this requires OS to be installed before it will work.
When I started Halo, I got an error saying that the M----.dll was missing (the name escapes me at the moment).
After that, it proceeded to give me Error 126, and was unable to load the HAC file.

Is this intended? Open Sauce will not install for me due to my HCE being in the wrong Program Files folder.
So will I have to reinstall in "Program Files (x86)", install Open Sauce, and then put in the loader file for this to work?

Edited by MoooseGuy on Dec 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 11:28 AM    Msg. 39 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy

When I started Halo, I got an error saying that the M----.dll was missing (the name escapes me at the moment).
After that, it proceeded to give me Error 126, and was unable to load the HAC file.

Is this intended? Open Sauce will not install for me due to my HCE being in the wrong Program Files folder.
So will I have to reinstall in "Program Files (x86)", install Open Sauce, and then put in the loader file for this to work?

Program Files (x86) is a "convenience" directory for 32-bit programs, while Program Files is for 64-bit programs. There's no written rule (that I'm aware of) that requires you to put 32-bit programs in the x86 directory and 64-bit in the other one; it's just there for your benefit. At least, that's my understanding.

Anyways, by default most applications will recognize which directory to install to based on their design (32 or 64). I guess OS is hard-coded to work with the x86 directory, though I cannot say that with 100% certainty. HAC2 sounds like it is OS-independent, and maybe even x86_directory-independent.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 11:48 AM    Msg. 40 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy

No, this does not require OS to be installed to work. Read the first post properly. This isn't even compatible with OS yet.

You probably have isues because you installed Halo in Program Files. If you have a 64 bit version of Windows, don't change where programs are installed. Halo should by default install itself in "Program Files (x86)". If it doesn't, don't change it! Leave it. It knows where to install. Just install it where it wants to. Don't change the install directory at all.
Any plugins like this will probably have issues due to Halo being in the wrong install directory.

I'm pretty sure the way they work means that they detect whether you have a 64-bit OS or not and look for the appropriate install directory.

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 12:50 PM    Msg. 41 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Yoda
This may be a stupid question but, do both the server and client have to have this (like OS) or will some features not work if only 1 has it or does it not matter?

No, there's no need for the server to have anything extra installed. :)

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 02:01 PM    Msg. 42 of 214       
Alright, sounds good Gonzo & Jaz. Thanks. I guess I just goobered up the install process. xD

I'll install into (x86) and that should hopefully fix whatever issues things are having with mah Halo.

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 03:48 PM    Msg. 43 of 214       
to fix error code 126 I had to download a few .dll files msvcr100 .dll
and msvcp100.dll

Edited by Spark on Dec 29, 2012 at 03:57 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 04:39 PM    Msg. 44 of 214       
Those files are available from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555.

Most machines updated in the last couple of years ought to have this already but for those that don't, just install it.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 29, 2012 at 04:49 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 04:41 PM    Msg. 45 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spark

to fix error code 126 I had to download a few .dll files msvcr100 .dll
and msvcp100.dll

Edited by Spark on Dec 29, 2012 at 03:57 PM

That could be it right there actually.

Thanks for the link btcc!
Edited by MoooseGuy on Dec 29, 2012 at 04:41 PM

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 05:32 PM    Msg. 46 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22

Those files are available from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555.

Most machines updated in the last couple of years ought to have this already but for those that don't, just install it.
or if you have vista like me you can get them here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp100
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr100

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 05:40 PM    Msg. 47 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spark

or if you have vista like me you can get them here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp100
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr100

The Microsoft download supports Vista (SP2 minimum). I don't know why they'd limit it to a service pack version if installing the files manually works.

It's better to install it via Microsoft's installer to ensure they're available to every application on that might need them. To do that manually, dump them into Windows\system.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 29, 2012 at 05:42 PM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 05:41 PM    Msg. 48 of 214       
Am i the only one who gets weird resolution glitch when driving a rocket warthog gunner or pelican?

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 05:43 PM    Msg. 49 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Am i the only one who gets weird resolution glitch when driving a rocket warthog gunner or pelican?

No, I'm aware of this glitch that occurs with the rocket 'hog gunner (HPC is unaffected) and some custom vehicles/weapons. I'll add a fix shortly.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 29, 2012 at 05:44 PM

Village

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 07:02 PM    Msg. 50 of 214       
When I click the download link_I get a blank page. This has never happened before? Anyone know why this is happening? Is the link broke or messed up now? I watched the videos and sure am interested in trying this mod out. Well its not a blank page but the page is empty...
Edited by Village on Dec 30, 2012 at 07:04 PM

HaloExtreme117

~Gone~

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 07:04 PM    Msg. 51 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Village

When I click the download link_I get a blank page. This has never happened before? Anyone know why this is happening? Is the link broke or messed up now? I watched the videos and sure am interested in trying this mod out. Well its not a blank page but the page is empty...
Edited by Village on Dec 30, 2012 at 07:04 PM

Try right clicking, save target/link as.

Village

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 07:12 PM    Msg. 52 of 214       
Thanks that did it..

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 08:08 PM    Msg. 53 of 214       
Sorry about that, it's corrected. :)

Jaz

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 08:11 PM    Msg. 54 of 214       
On regular Halo, bookmarks don't work properly. Can make favourites but can't go to the servers. Works fine on Custom Edition though.

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 08:17 PM    Msg. 55 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
On regular Halo, bookmarks don't work properly. Can make favourites but can't go to the servers. Works fine on Custom Edition though.

Thanks Jaz, I'll check it out.

Edit: Confirmed. Must have broken just before release when I made a change to how it connected. Patched and I'll release it tomorrow.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 30, 2012 at 08:23 PM

ReconNinja117

Posted: Dec 31, 2012 10:23 AM    Msg. 56 of 214       
This is a really cool release. I played CE with it once, and it was great.
Once. :(
I tried starting up the game a few days later, and it gave me this:

I removed loader.dll from the controls folder and the game loaded normally, so the problem must be because of this program. But the error message is really weird; it doesn't say "maps/ui;" as you can see, it says "levels/ui/ui." Does this mean HAC 2 uses uncompiled tags?

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 31, 2012 08:16 PM    Msg. 57 of 214       
Are you able to paste the text from your error report file? It's located in C:\Users\your_username\Documents\My Games\Halo CE\hac. Also, what were you doing in the game when it happened?

Thanks!

Quote: I removed loader.dll from the controls folder and the game loaded normally, so the problem must be because of this program. But the error message is really weird; it doesn't say "maps/ui;" as you can see, it says "levels/ui/ui." Does this mean HAC 2 uses uncompiled tags?

Strange. Does it do that every time you start it up? Can you try running Halo as admin and see if it still happens?

It looks like it's having trouble locating your maps directory for some reason.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 31, 2012 at 08:37 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Dec 31, 2012 09:10 PM    Msg. 58 of 214       
Alright, thanks. An unusual crash but that gives me a starting place to look.

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 07:53 AM    Msg. 59 of 214       
Just a note to say that you can now follow development over at http://blog.haloanticheat.com.

Today's patch includes one new feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbB9X7C4H4

I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread.

Jaz

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 10:39 AM    Msg. 60 of 214       
One feature I really want is a limit on which maps are shown in the server list. As in, hide all stock maps.

I mean... why on earth would I want to play on stock maps on Custom Edition?
They just clog up the server list and make it difficult to find servers actually running... you know... custom maps, the reason Custom Edition exists.

msalerno

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 11:18 AM    Msg. 61 of 214       
I found an issue related to the Error 126 thing. Running Windows 7 64-bit, but that really had nothing to do with it.

I noticed, using Process Monitor, that haloce.exe was trying to open hac.dll, either in the Halo install directory, or under the Temp directory in my user's AppData.

I also noticed that just before this, it was trying to contact a web server.

Does the loader.dll download hac.dll from your web site? I was able to copy it from another machine I have, and it runs now.

My machine at work lives behind a proxy server and I can not disable that. I assume that loader.dll is trying to connect outbound on port 80 directly to download hac.dll and doesn't know enough to use my proxy server.

I suspect this will also break downloading maps.

In my situation, certain other outbound ports DO work, and HAC2 could be setup to try other ports to your web server (if the site supports that). However, I think supporting a proxy server would be the best solution.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 11:33 AM    Msg. 62 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: msalerno
I noticed, using Process Monitor, that haloce.exe was trying to open hac.dll, either in the Halo install directory, or under the Temp directory in my user's AppData.

I also noticed that just before this, it was trying to contact a web server.

User made applications that attempt to phone home is... well it's very very bad. We will never host this application if it does this.

sehe

ayy lmao

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 11:56 AM    Msg. 63 of 214       
It's called auto update.

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 12:14 PM    Msg. 64 of 214       
Yes, loader.dll uses port 80 (HTTP) when the game launches to check for updates and it's used again for downloading maps. This was made perfectly clear in the original post.

Is there a reason why outbound connections on port 80 aren't automatically routed through the proxy? I'm all ears on suggestions for fixing this.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
User made applications that attempt to phone home is... well it's very very bad. We will never host this application if it does this.

It's not bad at all. It's a work in progress and given the nature of the application, it has little choice but to 'phone home' to provide certain services to the user. It shouldn't be a surprise that map downloading requires HAC to make requests to web servers.
Edited by Btcc22 on Jan 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Sean Aero

HaloRank.com

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 12:21 PM    Msg. 65 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: DennisUser made applications that attempt to phone home is... well it's very very bad.

It's only very very bad if the guy that's coding the app has bad intentions.
With Btcc22 this is clearly not the case.

Second, I think you are confused with him asking for bandwidth for map hosting, not app hosting.

See his first post: "we're seeking bandwidth providers/mirrors for map hosting".
Seems like something you could play a role in with halomaps.

msalerno

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 12:31 PM    Msg. 66 of 214       
Not seeing the source code, I can only surmise why loader.dll doesn't use my proxy, but in Process Monitor I see it try to open a direct TCP connection to your web server, so it never tries to use the proxy server settings.

The following is for C#, but maybe can point you in the right direction:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307023 - See step 7 of "Request a Web Page".

Note the WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy(); - this would work for me, and probably most other people that have a proxy server setup in IE. This should also work when using Active Domain in a corporate network, or maybe even other auto-config environments with various ISPs.

Also, note that it's been deprecated in later versions ;) sigh...

So, you have a choice. Either setup a way to specify a proxy server for the end user, or just get the default IE proxy server and use it if there is one.

--

Personally, I see nothing wrong with "calling home" especially when it comes to keeping all the clients updated. It ads a level of complexity, and in the case where it can't connect (like mine) there is a workaround.

ReconNinja117

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 01:21 PM    Msg. 67 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22Strange. Does it do that every time you start it up? Can you try running Halo as admin and see if it still happens?

It looks like it's having trouble locating your maps directory for some reason.
Edited by Btcc22 on Dec 31, 2012 at 08:37 PM

It did that every time I started CE. It showed the initial loading screen with the ring and the word "Halo" on it, then closed the game and gave that error. Running it as the admin fixed the problem. I guess I know what I gotta do from now on.

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 01:38 PM    Msg. 68 of 214       
That's strange. Is there anything unusual about the locations of your Documents folder or Halo install?

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 03:42 PM    Msg. 69 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sean Aero
It's only very very bad if the guy that's coding the app has bad intentions.
No I never implied his intentions were amiss that is your interpretation. It is just bad policy to develop an application that does this. many anti-virus or security programs will balk at it doing so regardless of the intention and prevent it or in some cases consider it malware and isolate it. There is a standard rule of unintended consequences that should be followed when developing a product or app that calls out to or relies on an external connection. Especially when a reliable back-end isn't in place.
See his first post: "we're seeking bandwidth providers/mirrors for map hosting".
Seems like something you could play a role in with halomaps.
This is a backwards way of doing it. You don't build the app that phones home without the back end infrastructure to support it. Also we do not and will not support unattended or automatic downloads from our file servers. As to why: it cost money to run them and though it may seem like it they are not actually free. I pay for your use of them.
Second, I think you are confused with him asking for bandwidth for map hosting, not app hosting.
Nope not at all. We will not host this application for download in the file archive if it phones home without user knowledge or initiation. We have already removed several that have done that.

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 03:58 PM    Msg. 70 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: reeiiko15
Just a note to say that you can now follow development over at http://blog.haloanticheat.com.

Today's patch includes one new feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbB9X7C4H4

I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread.
This is a pretty cool idea, however, I noticed that again when I press "esc" it just says "Negotiating Connection to server" and I have to type "panic" into devmode again.

Escape during a map download? How long did you leave it before typing panic in? I ask because it should automatically time out after ~4 or 5 seconds.

Page 2 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 17, 2017 3:48 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website