A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] HAC 2 alpha/preview

Page 3 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: [Release] HAC 2 alpha/preview (214 messages, Page 3 of 7)
Moderators: Dennis

Harbinger

Shoot first - Ask questions later.

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 07:40 PM    Msg. 71 of 214       
HAC 2 Represents the Dawn of a New Era for Halo Custom Edition Gaming

From now onwards your whole Halo Custom Edition Gaming experience has been Turbo Charged, Updated and Improved beyond Expectation. 2012 didn't bring the End of The World, but instead Ushered In a Whole New World for 2013:

Amongst Many Long Awaited Features:

• Super Fast Halo CE Load-up Time, (Regardless How Many Custom Maps in the Map Folder).
  • See All Halo CE Servers.
  • Join Any Server and Play Any Map.
  • Map Auto Downloaded and Installed (On a Map as Needed Basis).
  • No Need to Restart Halo CE to Play a New Map.
  • No Need to Download a Server Map Pack.

Halo Custom Edition Just Got Better and the Days of Empty Custom Map Servers and Players Not having Custom Maps are History. No more Wondering if Players will Have or Not Get the Custom Map to play on a Server. Just join a Custom Map Server and you'll know someone else will get the Map.

OK yes this New Halo Custom Edition Extension "Phones Home" to check for Updates and Map Lists, but so does Halo Phone Home too for Updates, (one that will no longer ever happen) at least HAC 2 is using the totally transparent Port 80, and this necessary behaviour really is the very least of your worries. Instead think of the enormous benefits HAC 2 is bringing to the Community by ensuring Custom Maps really do get played. It's only through playing Custom Maps that Halo Custom Edition truly comes to life, and is what inspires Players to realise it's full potential and want to go on to create Custom Maps. Long Live Halo Custom Edition and HAC 2 is the way forward.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 07:51 PM    Msg. 72 of 214       
sounds good for the community, but i'm interested in seeing what servers are going to be hosting and feeding the custom maps to the end user, as there are quite a servers i see being blocked by malwarebytes pro, as they are seen as bad IPs.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 08:17 PM    Msg. 73 of 214       
Malwarebytes pro is a little fussy for my liking, ally. Tennents Super is a better way to go :)
As far as i can tell this program/extension is safe, and the best thing to be developed for this game since i joined for sure.
Thanks again.
Edited by Maniac1000 on Jan 2, 2013 at 08:26 PM

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 09:44 PM    Msg. 74 of 214       
indeed it can be very fussy at times, cheers to a few of them and a bottle of EL'd :)
but we all know alcohol is bad for you unless it's taken in moderation, for example, birthdays, weekends, christmas, new year & special occasions lol.

i can't really comment on the app itself as i haven't looked at it or looked into it.

another thing, it;s been mentioned that the newer os will not run if there are altered files in haloce,
will the hac.dll cause problems with that too, has it already been sorted, or will it not matter?

okay so, before hitting the post button i re-read the op, i guess its a matter of waiting until the newer os is released to find out if hac will be an issue.

HaloExtreme117

~Gone~

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 09:55 PM    Msg. 75 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: ally
indeed it can be very fussy at times, cheers to a few of them and a bottle of EL'd :)
but we all know alcohol is bad for you unless it's taken in moderation, for example, birthdays, weekends, christmas, new year & special occasions lol.

i can't really comment on the app itself as i haven't looked at it or looked into it.

another thing, it;s been mentioned that the newer os will not run if there are altered files in haloce,
will the hac.dll cause problems with that too, has it already been sorted, or will it not matter?

okay so, before hitting the post button i re-read the op, i guess its a matter of waiting until the newer os is released to find out if hac will be an issue.

The reason this doesn't work with OS is probably due to them trying to access the same memory addresses at the same time, but I haven't looked in to it at all.
However, if Btcc22 is able to fix the incompatibility, it'll be fine. The new OS installer only checks if any stock files have been modified; it's perfectly happy with new files. I've tested HAC with the new OS, and it causes crashes.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 10:03 PM    Msg. 76 of 214       
yeah saw the crashes mentioned when i reread the op just before i posted, but didn't see the point in removing it from my post, as it's something people that may not have read need to be aware of. (so that's also anyone using the likes of version changer in trouble, but hey that's for the os thread).

HaloExtreme117

~Gone~

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 10:05 PM    Msg. 77 of 214       
yeah saw the crashes mentioned when i reread the op just before i posted, but didn't see the point in removing it from my post, as it's something people that may not have read need to be aware of. (so that's also anyone using the likes of version changer in trouble, but hey that's for the os thread).

OS has a built in version changer anyway.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 10:10 PM    Msg. 78 of 214       
yeah already knew there was the way to do it in os, so anyone with the original v/c strings.dll dropped in would have problems.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jan 3, 2013 06:12 AM    Msg. 79 of 214       
Well, since somebody from Realworld's already got Sophos to add HAC to their trusted database, I'm sure other antivirus providers are likely to also look into it.

So the argument about HAC not being trusted by antiviruses is pointless until antivirus providers have actually been asked how adamant they are about it.

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Jan 4, 2013 05:14 PM    Msg. 80 of 214       
Just a quick question, with the possibility someday of OS being used more in MP, will this program also possibly be able to recognize what versions of OS are the latest and update them when needed or will its download features most likely strictly be kept to maps only?
Granted I know that OS support at the moment is still being worked on, but this is assuming in the future you do get proper support.

vegemite

Friends are God's apology for relations

Posted: Jan 4, 2013 08:08 PM    Msg. 81 of 214       
Loving this HAC2

Harbinger is right about this being a new lease of life for Halo custom edition.

I have noticed player numbers increasing in the last week.

I would like to contribute bandwidth but alas I get 80 Kbps upspeed on a good day.

Too bad some Anti Virus programs see HAC2 as a threat.

Great app !!!

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 4, 2013 08:30 PM    Msg. 82 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: vegemite
Too bad some Anti Virus programs see HAC2 as a threat.

As far as I know, only Norton has a problem with it and they've whitelisted it in their updated definitions.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 11:26 AM    Msg. 83 of 214       
Very pleasent app !

But is there any way to get the maps through the app from Halomaps' database ? I'd love to be able to play any map, and it would increase the amount of downloads of the different levels

HaloExtreme117

~Gone~

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 11:43 AM    Msg. 84 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
Very pleasent app !

But is there any way to get the maps through the app from Halomaps' database ? I'd love to be able to play any map, and it would increase the amount of downloads of the different levels

Dennis will never allow that.

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 11:50 AM    Msg. 85 of 214       
Exactly what i was thinking...

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 12:26 PM    Msg. 86 of 214       
Very pleasent app !

We'll have our own database that users can add maps to pretty soon. For now, we have a good number of maps available (about 1000 as said) for testing. A lot of the missing map errors at the moment are being caused by trying to play on maps that haven't as yet had a public release.

When the database goes live, we'll be uploading the rest of the maps (about another 1000-1500).
Edited by Btcc22 on Jan 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 03:20 PM    Msg. 87 of 214       
How did altis' map bigass get hosted ?

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 04:03 PM    Msg. 88 of 214       
I sent him the map. I will do the same thing for next versions too.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 06:26 PM    Msg. 89 of 214       
system restore created, things backup also.
unzipped placed loader.dll into haloce controls folder as told.
fired up halo, no difference in load time noticed.
joined server running map i did not have.
map started downloading, speed was impressive :)
hit escape as it was a test, map downloading cancelled as expected.
noticed more server numbers :)

removed loader.dll, restored system to point before loader.dll was added.
worked in 3ds max on model for someone else as per normal.
ran tool commands. sky tags missing...
went tags/skys hmm missing gbx model files and .skys files.

added all back as i had backups of everything incase wierdness happened.

posted this.

Coincidence?

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 06:55 PM    Msg. 90 of 214       
As mentioned in the original post, the load times are exactly the same the first time you start Halo after installing HAC. It's subsequent loads that see benefit.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the rest of your post though.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 06:58 PM    Msg. 91 of 214       
it explains files gone from the folders, the only things done were as mentioned.

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:01 PM    Msg. 92 of 214       
You're accusing HAC of randomly deleting Halo related files? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post.
Edited by Btcc22 on Jan 5, 2013 at 07:02 PM

sehe

ayy lmao

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:01 PM    Msg. 93 of 214       
Yes, HAC2 deletes your .sky and .gbx files + 5 random dll from system32, you better check those too...
Anyway, stop taking drugs dude lol, srsly.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:05 PM    Msg. 94 of 214       
i don't do drugs :)
nor am i immature enough to think things just delete themselves :)

you should note i'm calling what i see from what was done.
Edited by ally on Jan 5, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:10 PM    Msg. 95 of 214       
So a bunch of files went missing after you did a restore? I might suggest that the problem lies with your restore.

sehe

ayy lmao

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:12 PM    Msg. 96 of 214       
Maybe you accidently executed the "hac_delete_random_files_from_tags_folder" command, or it could be the "hac_do_some_weird_stuff" command too.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:13 PM    Msg. 97 of 214       
it could very well jt be that, what i was hoping was that by chance someone else might have found an issue too, and then it could be noticed. failing that i would blame the sytem resore just. didn't expect sehes remark on drugs, but hey there are kids on here right lol :)

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:17 PM    Msg. 98 of 214       
it could very well jt be that, what i was hoping was that by chance someone else might have found an issue too, and then it could be noticed. failing that i would blame the sytem resore just. didn't expect sehes remark on drugs, but hey there are kids on here right lol :)

I can assure you that it had nothing to do with HAC. It doesn't make any sense for files to be missing after a restore if HAC was responsible.

HAC doesn't delete any files (apart from temporary ones it creates during map downloads), especially not random tags that it has no knowledge of.

ally

Aye Ready

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:21 PM    Msg. 99 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22

I can assure you that it had nothing to do with HAC. It doesn't make any sense for files to be missing after a restore if HAC was responsible.

HAC doesn't delete any files (apart from temporary ones it creates during map downloads), especially not random tags that it has no knowledge of.

yeah totally understandable, i just posted what happened.
yeah even system restore should have sorted things. anyway i have everything back to normal so i'm not too bothered about it really.

Jaz

Posted: Jan 9, 2013 06:22 PM    Msg. 100 of 214       
I'd just like to repeat my previous request.

Would it be possible to censor the default maps(i.e. Bloodgulch, Ice Fields, etc)?

It's quite difficult to find decent custom servers with the many default map servers clogging the server list.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jan 9, 2013 06:25 PM    Msg. 101 of 214       
You can just sort the server by maps by clicking on "MAPS"...

Jaz

Posted: Jan 9, 2013 06:28 PM    Msg. 102 of 214       
You can just sort the server by maps by clicking on "MAPS"...

But that means I can't order the custom maps by player count, which is extremely convenient.

So it'd be awesome if it was possible to find custom maps easily while maintaining the ability to sort by players.

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 9, 2013 07:21 PM    Msg. 103 of 214       
It's possible but I don't think I'd have the time to add it as a feature at this point.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jan 9, 2013 07:59 PM    Msg. 104 of 214       
Wow, ally posted to see if there was maybe an issue with the app and you sehe acts like a condescending dick.
Way to go.
Edited by Maniac1000 on Jan 9, 2013 at 08:01 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Jan 9, 2013 09:10 PM    Msg. 105 of 214       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000

Wow, ally posted to see if there was maybe an issue with the app and you sehe acts like a condescending dick.
Way to go.

Typo for "you and Sehe"? I can't control what he posts and given that I'm the only person working on the project his posts here shouldn't be taken as representation for either myself or the project.

If the post wasn't directed at me, nevermind. ;)
Edited by Btcc22 on Jan 9, 2013 at 09:24 PM

Page 3 of 7 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 18, 2017 2:07 PM 360 ms.
A Halo Maps Website