A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Geometry outside of map

Author Topic: Geometry outside of map (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Wolftacular

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 12:30 AM    Msg. 1 of 11       
I'll try to keep this short, though I usually have a hard time doing so (and you can probably tell by now lol)

I'm making an indoors map. The map has windows to the outside. I know about skyboxes, but I want to place some decorative geometry right outside of some windows (extensions of the same building, etc). I figured I'd set them as render-only .

In tool I get a bunch of "surface clipped to no leaves" warnings, which all point to the geometry outside of the map when I import the wrl. I get absolutely no other errors. When radiosity finishes, I notice everything looks fine and dandy, except that the decorative geometry from outside the map is missing.

Funny thing is, if I grab all this geometry and drag it inside the boundaries of the map, I get no warnings or errors, and it renders... But I need it outside :I

What am I doing wrong? Appreciate the help!! Thanks!

ZX 707

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 01:25 AM    Msg. 2 of 11       
All of your geometry has to be inside the skybox (or at least one vertex of each triangle) otherwise you will get this error.
Increase the size of your skybox to include the geometry and it will render.

Wolftacular

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 03:15 AM    Msg. 3 of 11       
Figures. I guess it didn't occur to me since I wasn't even using a skybox, just some faces on the roof rendered as the sky.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Very appreciated!!

EDIT:
Help!!

So I did what you suggested, ZX 707. All of the geometry is now within a skybox. It helped but not completely! For some reason, some of the surfaces do show up now, but some others don't!! Weird thing is that there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern as to which do show and which don't. What I mean is, there doesn't seem to be a specific area affected; random faces are missing from random spots.

At least some of them are there now. I must be doing something wrong.

For reference:
1 - Because I didn't have a skybox before, I simply created a big box that completely enclosed the entire map and gave it the +sky material. I made sure to link it to the frame. However, the geometry isn't continuous, if you know what I mean. I don't think it should be a problem since both "shapes" (the map and the box) are sealed and, again, I get no errors besides the clipped-to-no-leaves warnings. If I'm supposed to make everything a single, continuous shape, then can you give me tips at how I should go about it if the map itself is already sealed? You can only look to the outside through the (collide-able) glasses already in place.

2 - When I import the .wrl, the faces it marks seem to be flipped in the error geometry. As in, facing the opposite normals that my geometry actually faces. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or if that might hint at something. I'm sure my geometry is facing the correct way, though.

Sorry for the long post! I really appreciate the help!!
Edited by Wolftacular on Dec 30, 2012 at 02:36 PM

ZX 707

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 12:09 PM    Msg. 4 of 11       
Your random missing faces could be due to not having portals, but since you still have the cyan errors, it is unlikely.

Having the big box should be fine as you map is sealed already.
Also, make sure your geometry that is disappearing is in the space between your map and the sky. If it is inside a sealed wall, for example, it will still not render because that area inside is "out of the map."

The wrl faces, at least for me, are always 2 sided.

Wolftacular

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 10:18 PM    Msg. 5 of 11       
Well, after much trial and error and no pleasing results, I decided to give up on the whole "render-only" approach, and instead, made everything collide-able and simply sealed it all on its own. This works perfectly, though I wish I could've done it the other way since this involved a lot more work and I've heard somewhere that collision geometry takes up more space.

Either way, I guess a good solution is to avoid render-only if it's not 100% inside playable area!

The problem, I'm sure, was that the game thought it was outside of the map since it was completely unreachable and the only collide-able thing around it was the skybox. I don't know how to explain this too well but let's just say the game must've thought it was between walls like ZX 707 said.

Many thank-yous to ZX 707 for his help in the thread
And to altis94 who sent me a .max of one of his maps to help me with what I was trying to accomplish!

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 04:57 PM    Msg. 6 of 11       
I have this same issue. I'm using alpha grate and glass to cover some detail areas in key locations in my map. The material inaccessible to the player (because the glass/grate is collidable) is non-collidable. These areas do not render, I get cyan errors for them, and I am disappointed. I've gotten this to work before; I had a basic setup underneath an alpha grate face and it rendered fine. For some reason now, though, it does not show. All affected surfaces are within the bounding box of my map (so nothing extends past the +sky or beyond an solid map surface), but not everything is contained within a +sky box. Unlike the OP's sealed main map, my map is outdoorsy, and I cannot seal it with material other than +sky.

Wolftacular

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 08:07 PM    Msg. 7 of 11       
Save a copy of what you have right now and try what I did; make the materials collide-able and seal them if they're not already sealed. You can still use the +sky material for those faces you didn't have before.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 08:30 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       
You can add objects to the .sky too.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 11:02 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
You can add objects to the .sky too.

What do you mean add? Through Guerilla? Or just a separate object from the map (which is what the OP is doing)? If I always got this issue, I'd accept a completely separate object as a viable alternative. But in my map, I have alpha grate covering a small depression where I tossed in some lights. This depression is completely non-collidable, and it rendered fine. Now none of these depressions/details are rendered due to the cyan warnings.

I HATE portalling.

Wolftacular

Posted: Jan 4, 2013 12:20 PM    Msg. 10 of 11       
If they used to render fine and now they don't, it's definitely because of the new stuff you added. I've noticed the cyan error usually causes other abnormalities even in different areas of the map. For instance: before I got rid of my cyan errors, there were some solid collide-able walls I was able to shoot through. Funny thing is they were literally almost on the opposite end of the map. Once I got rid of the errors, everything went back to normal.

And I think what Maniac1000 meant was that you could create a custom .sky model with the stuff you want to show outside, but like I said in the OP, this is not a good alternative if your render geometry is right outside or right next to the map. Sky models are only good for far away stuff, in my opinion.

So I'd just recommend the same thing again... Turn whatever render-only geometry you have outside the map into collide-able geometry and seal it.

CAG Gonzo

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 09:59 PM    Msg. 11 of 11       
Actually, what solved it for me was simply applying the two-sided property "%" to the shader name in Max. The inaccessible geometry is then left physically attached to the map and it uses collidable materials (to conform to the sealed world specification). Easy fix. I'm running good lightmaps now to see if there are any issues with lighting.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun August 9, 2020 9:30 PM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website