A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Bigass WIP server

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: Bigass WIP server (113 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 01:02 PM    Msg. 1 of 113       
Ive been working on this map for a while (still not finished) and i thought it would be a good idea to host a server which anyone can join and play the map. To download the latest version of the map you will need to join the server using HAC2.

Server name: {XG}aLTis's map testing
Server ip: 46.249.47.12:2590
Server is hosted by http://www.elitegameservers.net/

Note that map is still wip and a lot of stuff going to be changed (incuding bsp and name). Here have some shinny pics:

Please post if you find any glitches or if you have any suggestions.
Edited by altis94 on Jan 5, 2013 at 01:04 PM

altis94

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 01:05 PM    Msg. 2 of 113       
Get HAC2 and join the server. map will download automaticly.
Edited by altis94 on Jan 5, 2013 at 01:06 PM

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 01:23 PM    Msg. 3 of 113       
Cran, if HAC doesn't work, ask Btcc about it.

This is a great idea and shows HAC's potential for mapmakers. Testing maps without having to download every different version manually before playing. Saves loads of beta testing time and effort.

I might help test next week if I get my exams done.

creator843

I LOVE HALO!

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 03:30 PM    Msg. 4 of 113       
great map altis! you are awesome dude :)

altis94

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 04:00 PM    Msg. 5 of 113       
Server is still up if anyone wants to join. We had a great fun today, here are some pics:

There already some glitches known, like door glitch and they are going to be fixed in next version.

The mines needs new model (halo 3 one would be nice) and they are very powerful when they explode. If there is anyone who can help me with this, please message me.

KingFisher

Creativity is the main element of level design.

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 04:16 PM    Msg. 6 of 113       
The terrain doesn't look half bad for such a large map. Good work. Hopefully you guys make an excellent ground bitmap for it.

darksoldier

Helo my friend, it's time to fight ;)

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 04:17 PM    Msg. 7 of 113       
I played the map 20 min ago, It looks very great, with a good gameplay !

Recommendations :

-take a good hud (the h2 would be nice)
-the bases need to be more higher
-add some structures (sniper tower, destroyed bases etc...)
-change those spartans I recommended to take the spartans from ivory tower with cmt spv2 fp
-creat a ground texture for a good visual effect
-add warthogs with turrets :)

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 04:37 PM    Msg. 8 of 113       
chat is broken
the lack of cubemaps is disappointing
too bright
lack of tire blur (warthog and mongoose tires do not have the blur textures)
the fire on the hornet is static
the propellers of the hornet would look better with a blur texture
the armor looks pretty bad
the FP models do not match the armor
the mongoose physics are terrible; i think altis saw what happened when I started doing figure 8s while trying to go straight.
hornet physics are terrible; flipping over is a major issue
hornet movement is hindered; moving forward(W) and up(SPACE) at the same time is not possible
3rd person weapon scales are bad; the magnum is larger than the BR
not much weapon variety(rifle, rifle, gauss rifle, magnum rifle, assault rifle)
sounds (namely magnum and sAR) are not very fitting
random death/sniper rifle issue; someone was sniping and the trails were visible, but no sound and no trail was present when death occurred seconds later
ground texture lacks variety; sand or dirt would look good on the flat areas and a gradient up the hills for grass would be neat
hornet weapons don't work (for me, at least)
HUD for weapons (namely BR) are broken
shooting while in a mongoose with the flag does not drop the flag(?)
hornet passengers hold weapons with their face
vehicle textures feel desaturated and dull(personal preference)
mongoose and weapon reticles do not match up
could use more scenery like cliffs and such, unless this is flatlands

will post more once the chat issue is resolved.

killzone64

active on discord

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 04:47 PM    Msg. 9 of 113       
i tryed fixing the falcon physics a while ago but i only made them worse, on the other hand i am making a new one, not sure if altis wants to use it or use his.

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 05:40 PM    Msg. 10 of 113       
HAC is refusing to download the map, for some reason...
(Then again, I have OS so that might be the root of the problem..)

Sorry, but could someone PM me the map, so I can try this map out, too?

altis94

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 05:41 PM    Msg. 11 of 113       
First of all, chat is working. You probably dont have sehe's chatlag fix. Falcon doesnt have any guns and if you can make better physics, please do them. Hud, spartan model, ground texture and other stuff will be changed. Bsp will be modified, hills smoothed and bases extended (thats why there are doors). I will add bourrin's reach warthog with turret. I already tried making blur texture for falcon and i failed, so if anyone can do it it would be nice. Mongoose's physics are indeed terrible and i need new ones. Passenger seat for mongoose will be probably added too. I will add couple of more weapons in newer versions. I have no idea how to change 3p model size of guns so please help me with this. Vehicle textures are bad quality for smaller tagspace.

This is still early version of the map. As i told before a lot of stuff is going to be changed.

For those who have downloading problems: http://www.mediafire.com/?k46ia9xik7gdttj
Edited by altis94 on Jan 5, 2013 at 05:42 PM

renegade343

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 05:47 PM    Msg. 12 of 113       
Thank you for that, Altis. Downloading the map right now...

From what I can tell so far from the screenshots, the Mongoose also seems to be floating from the ground a little bit... You might also want to look at that.

(Will edit for further comments once I'm in)

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 06:20 PM    Msg. 13 of 113       
grenade toss is heavily delayed
not enough cover; snipers always have an advantage
hornet dock is really encumbering; having to circle around it for a tiny ramp is time consuming and leaves the player vulnerable
flag grabs are too easy; drive in, grab, drive out
mongoose grenade throwing is delayed/broken
says "can't spawn" when spawning
no lighting
base is too simplistic; with only 2 entrances and 2 rooms, spawn camping becomes a big issue
vehicle variety is poor; banshees for single-person flying would be preferable to having passengers as defense
no-turret warthogs means sitting ducks when stopping to drop off passengers
grenade explosion radius is massive
sniper rifle's FP animation breaks the player's thumb
throwing a grenade into the enemy's base results in easy pickings due to explosion radius
gauss rifle is overpowered; the impact is instantaneous and it does a large amount of damage to vehicles
hornet has a tendency to fly downward and getting back into the air while moving is nearly impossible
shooting a moving hornet with the gauss rifle slows the hornet to a stop, making the driver and passengers vulnerable to sniper fire
assault rifle has no use since all other weapons have longer range and deal considerably more damage
shotgun has no use since all other weapons have longer range and more firepower
melee attacks have enough push force to flip vehicles
plasma grenade (little beeping spikes on the ground) are useless; the only way I was able to detonate them was by triggering another explosion next to them
passengers in a hornet can stay in the vehicle even when upside-down
the gauss rifle's damage is too high; 2 shots to kill a person essentially makes it more powerful than any other weapon, due to the AoE damage and the range
the gauss rifle's trail is broken; it lags behind the actual projectile
throwing the plasma grenade will sometimes make it disappear for no reason

more to come later.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 06:59 PM    Msg. 14 of 113       
The blending with the Pit sky tag looks well done. It gives a good feeling

altis94

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:10 PM    Msg. 15 of 113       
plasma grenade is a mine idiot... didnt i tell you that? you have to drive on it with vehicle. And i know falcon's physics arent perfect, but nobody can make them better so stop talking about it all the time. I actually use assault rifle a lot in a short range combats and i use other weapons for long rage. I know gauss sniper is overpowered and i will do something about it. And as I already told, I will add warthog with turret and maybe someother vehicle too. Thanks for the crit anywayz.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:18 PM    Msg. 16 of 113       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
plasma grenade is a mine idiot... didnt i tell you that? you have to drive on it with vehicle. And i know falcon's physics arent perfect, but nobody can make them better so stop talking about it all the time. I actually use assault rifle a lot in a short range combats and i use other weapons for long rage. I know gauss sniper is overpowered and i will do something about it. And as I already told, I will add warthog with turret and maybe someother vehicle too. Thanks for the crit anywayz.

I kept the reply tab open during gameplay to list the bugs while playing; I didn't check back to see replies. also, driving over the "mine" didn't really do anything as it is very small(and so are the tire's width) and it often disappears. whether you use the assault rifle or not, it is still underpowered as all other weapons are vastly superior. I know it is a WIP, so you can safely stop saying "it's a WIP, i'll fix this and i'll change that". I am simply listing the issues as I play so they can be addressed or at the very least known to other people who haven't played the map yet.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:20 PM    Msg. 17 of 113       
1 passenger hog and 1 chaingun hog would be cool.

creator843

I LOVE HALO!

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:20 PM    Msg. 18 of 113       
you see that altis? I played with these graphics and even with that i kick your ass! whoooohooooo xD PD:The weird texture only happen with hig poly models o-o

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:23 PM    Msg. 19 of 113       
Ow.
Your mind powers are amazing.You tore me apart by looking at me.

creator843

I LOVE HALO!

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:25 PM    Msg. 20 of 113       
Quote: Ow.
Your mind powers are amazing.You tore me apart by looking at me
never mess with creator843 .... lawl xD

altis94

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 07:27 PM    Msg. 21 of 113       
Dat video card... Anyway if anyone has any scenery or anything i could use, please give them to me. I could use better trees, barricades and other stuff. And i added most of the weapons last moment, so they werent tested much.

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 09:14 PM    Msg. 22 of 113       
map is nice except that it has crashed 7 times on me.

altis94

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 10:04 AM    Msg. 23 of 113       
Anyone knows what could be causing those random exceptions? I personally didnt have any of them, but some people did.

Also mongoose goes throught other mongoose like its not there. Is it because something with physics? I could really use some better physics for it.

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 10:18 AM    Msg. 24 of 113       
I think the map would look better with pine trees instead of the ones in it now, and don't be afraid to add rocks scenery objects...the big ones and the "gigantic" mossy ones should fit great. Also consider scaling the trees up (either simply the model, or by doing it via script). Still, the terrain itself looks pretty decent for the scale of the map. Perhaps it could use a river going down it or something though :o
Edited by The Lodeman on Jan 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

altis94

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 11:24 AM    Msg. 25 of 113       
I dont think ill start messing with water again... And I could use some new trees, maybe ripped from other games.

altis94

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 02:18 PM    Msg. 26 of 113       
the grass is pretty good resolution (compare to RPG beta 6 lol), but i will change texture later. And both sniper rifles look good wnough for me... if more people dislike the looks i can change it.
Edited by altis94 on Jan 6, 2013 at 02:19 PM

renegade343

Posted: Jan 6, 2013 08:08 PM    Msg. 27 of 113       
I'm perfectly fine with both snipers looking the way they are now, too.
(Just... PLEASE change the HUD for the suppressed AR and battle rifle/pseudo-DMR, again)

For additional scenery, I found this:
Sand bags!

Metal barrels!

This is unrelated, but I have three major requests for the map so far..
1) I know I keep saying this, but just to put in on permanent records, could you please make the ceiling for the map higher? Even without the Gauss Rifle acting as the perfect anti-air weapon, I'm having a really hard time flying the Falcon at such a low altitude...
2) The Falcon could be heavier so that it doesn't get flipped over by the Gauss Rifle as much, at the cost of it possibly exploding after a couple shots...
I noticed that the Coldsnap Longsword can explode like that; is it possible to do the same for the Falcon?
3) I feel like a regular (un-suppressed) assault rifle would be a heck of a lot more useful than the suppressed one. What do you think?

Thanks!

altis94

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 06:52 AM    Msg. 28 of 113       
HUD is probably going to be changed to firefight descent's hud. I would have added sandbags, but they have terrible collision models and i didnt have time to make new ones.

1) I will increase height of the ceiling.
2) Falcon is going to be edited and im not sure about that explosion because it needs scripts and models which i dont have time to make.
3) Weapons are going to be changes/modified. I will add halo 3 or reach spartan laser for sure. Im not sure about any other new weapons since they all are going to be pretty much the same :/

Maybe i will add airstrike weapon from halo reach if someone could help me with this. Also i was thinking about making a grenade which creates some smoke and then longsword flies over dropping weapon capsules where grenade was thrown.

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 11:39 AM    Msg. 29 of 113       
Hey, almost got those tags you wanted all tagged up. What i'd do for the weapon drop is use a script and flashlight. I can make it for you, easy. But basically, you'd say when someone gets enough kills, it tells you that you get a weapon, and then it drops a random weapon right in front of you when you hit flashlight. I could do all the tagging work for you :)

The Lodeman

Hipster Lodeman: Enjoyed goats before it was cool.

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 12:07 PM    Msg. 30 of 113       
I dont think ill start messing with water again... And I could use some new trees, maybe ripped from other games.

I think the pines and rocks used in Lumoria would work well in here tbh. Remember that we had more than just the pines, we also had a few fallen trunk and treestump variations which you could play around with to add variety to the map.

altis94

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 02:33 PM    Msg. 31 of 113       
Hmm ill need to make good lods for those trees i guess.
@grunt eater: dont you think it would be confusing having it as a flashlight?

grunt_eater

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 02:40 PM    Msg. 32 of 113       
Hmm ill need to make good lods for those trees i guess.
@grunt eater: dont you think it would be confusing having it as a flashlight?

Hmmm. Maybe, i hadn't thought about that...Maybe have a screen annotation directing you? lol.

altis94

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 03:04 PM    Msg. 33 of 113       
What about just a grenade? You wouldnt spawn with it but there would be couple of them lying around the map.

grunt_eater

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 04:35 PM    Msg. 34 of 113       
Yeah, but i don't think you can script grenades. I mean, you could always make the detonation effect spawn a weapon drop\case thing and a weapon. But it'd always be the same one, and it would take up one of your grenades. Idk. Lol. It's your choice man.

altis94

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 05:00 PM    Msg. 35 of 113       
I think for now i will concentrate on more simple things... still have a lot of work on bsp.

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri April 3, 2020 12:56 AM 407 ms.
A Halo Maps Website