A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Trouble with alpha channels :\

Author Topic: Trouble with alpha channels :\ (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

ReconNinja117

Used to be terrible. Probably still am.

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 10:05 PM    Msg. 1 of 6       
I'm trying to make a scope mask that mimics iron sights, like this.

So I made my bitmap from a render, and I deleted all of the area that shows up white in Paint.net here so it would be transparent. (Ignore the fact that they're the same weapon; I'm trying to learn the concept so I can implement it into a whole tag set) The TIFF saved and compiled successfully.

I made the bitmap into a decal just to test it, and it looks pretty good!

...on the ground. Using that same bitmap as a scope overlay, I get this.

What doesn't make sense to me is that Guerrilla shows the alpha information as being set up exactly the same.

The only difference I see between the two bitmap tags is that the bitmap I'm comparing mine to has 0 bytes in its "compressed color plate data." Anybody know what the problem is?

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Jan 29, 2013 10:21 PM    Msg. 2 of 6       
The alpha is backwards. If you look at the black shape in the middle of the screen here
It looks the same as the one on the left here
What you need to do is invert the colors of the alpha. And try bumping the bitmap down a size, it looks like it's too big to fit it all on the screen. Try that and let me know the results, we'll work from there :)

ReconNinja117

Posted: Jan 30, 2013 08:08 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
I tried editing the alpha channel directly, as directed here: http://www.stankirdey.com/content/how-edit-alpha-channel-image-using-gimp-28
But when I did this, it made the image grayscale (it did let me edit the alpha manually, though). Furthermore, Tool wouldn't let me make it into a bitmap compressed with explicit alpha. There has to be an easier way to do this, or something I'm missing.
Edited by ReconNinja117 on Jan 30, 2013 at 08:08 PM

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Jan 30, 2013 10:38 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Gimp is a great free program, and an excellent substitute for photoshop. To create\edit an alpha channel, right click on layer and hit "add layer mask" click okay, and then edit it to your liking, then click apply. As much as i love my paint.net, i have to give credit where credit is due. Gimp makes alpha's much easier.

ReconNinja117

Posted: Jan 31, 2013 02:27 PM    Msg. 5 of 6       
I tried that method too, it still wouldn't compress with explicit alpha.

6thLoneWolf

i'm a newbie :B

Posted: Jan 31, 2013 03:24 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       
assuming that is part of the weapon interface
you are using your bitmap in screen effects
something like this

and the result is obviously something like this

delete that and do the following in the crosshair overlays

and you'll have something like this

here is my bitmap

Hope that helps
Edited by 6thLoneWolf on Jan 31, 2013 at 03:25 PM