A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Firefight Portent II Official Thread

Page 1 of 11 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 11 · Next
Author Topic: Firefight Portent II Official Thread (362 messages, Page 1 of 11)
Moderators: Dennis

Pepzee

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 06:23 PM    Msg. 1 of 362       
This project has been salvaged and will be released in the future.

Edited by Pepzee on Nov 5, 2018 at 07:41 PM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 06:25 PM    Msg. 2 of 362       
I approve this message.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 06:26 PM    Msg. 3 of 362       
I approve the approving of this message.

EDIT:
In case you missed it, catch the official CE3 2013 trailer here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcPnmupQYQ
Edited by MoooseGuy on Jul 13, 2013 at 04:58 PM

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 06:37 PM    Msg. 4 of 362       
!!!OWT TNETROP THGIFERIF !!!EMOSEWA
Edited by Jaz on Feb 2, 2013 at 06:38 PM

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 07:18 PM    Msg. 5 of 362       
Quote: Posted By: Mootjuh

And I thought I was the only one....

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 07:21 PM    Msg. 6 of 362       
I KNEW IT.

In your face,Delicon!

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 07:30 PM    Msg. 7 of 362       
This, is awesome.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 07:41 PM    Msg. 8 of 362       
OH GOD, THIS.... IS.... AWESOME. YES!!! This time it will use the entire map! Yay!
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Feb 2, 2013 at 07:54 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 07:42 PM    Msg. 9 of 362       
I KNEW ABOUT THIS ALREADY :O

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 08:18 PM    Msg. 10 of 362       
I approve :o

And am willing to offer services (non-sexual ones, not again.)
Edited by Jesse on Feb 2, 2013 at 08:18 PM

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 08:19 PM    Msg. 11 of 362       
I wonder if this can stop me from not liking Portent... :P

Lookin' good so far!
Just curious, though. Will AI reinforcements be able to drive Warthogs?

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 08:22 PM    Msg. 12 of 362       
Looks like it's gonna be sweet.
I remember the days though this used to be play on MP. :(

One of the best maps ever for MP

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 10:40 PM    Msg. 13 of 362       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
I KNEW ABOUT THIS ALREADY :O
as so did I.

Ubergoober

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 01:03 AM    Msg. 14 of 362       
this is awesome! very exciting news!

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 05:37 AM    Msg. 15 of 362       
Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343
I wonder if this can stop me from not liking Portent... :P

Lookin' good so far!
Just curious, though. Will AI reinforcements be able to drive Warthogs?

You didn't like Portent? Why ever not? o.O

Sir John

And as always have a nice day! ☭

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 08:10 AM    Msg. 16 of 362       
My reaction to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

subtank

Down is Up

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 09:35 AM    Msg. 17 of 362       
We can play outside now? Yay!

Question: will you make full use of the map and the chambers inside the main structure (whatever that thing supposed to be) or will this be just an extension to the outside environment? Looking forward to this!

Pepzee

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 08:27 PM    Msg. 18 of 362       
Hey guys. Have any of you scripters out there ever wondered how many globals you could put in a map before running out?

How did I find that out? Me and MoooseGuy went over it and our scripts failed to compile.

Don't worry me and MoooseGuy are re-scripting the whole system to fix it and make it better.

Hopefully we'll have some better updates soon!

Edit: and to respond to some of your questions on the inner structure, it's still undecided if we'll have gameplay in there or not.
Edited by Pepzee on Feb 3, 2013 at 08:28 PM

Ubergoober

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 09:38 PM    Msg. 19 of 362       
its such a good looking map, should at least use half of it, not just one base as the original ff portent does
Edited by Ubergoober on Feb 3, 2013 at 09:39 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 10:34 PM    Msg. 20 of 362       
If you guys do end up making it large scale, I hope you integrate that script with the UI
marker over their head so you know where to find them.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 10:37 PM    Msg. 21 of 362       
Oh yes, definitely.
What we are doing is taking what we learned with Firefight Descent (and what I learned with the Universal UI) and applying it to what we are doing in Firefight Portent II.

licon4812

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 01:59 AM    Msg. 22 of 362       
holy crap i just had a huge orgasam

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:49 AM    Msg. 23 of 362       
I think you should also be using the expanding shield I made for STKFT on your elites :)
Avaliable in stkft or by asking me. In addition to my sword and hunter I already see :)

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 12:17 PM    Msg. 24 of 362       
Quote: --- Original message by: Lestat
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
http://i.imgur.com/psFybC6.jpg

Care to explain your point system? How does it work? What are it's limits? What inspired you?

A big difference between our number system and other ones that you see is that it only runs on one master value. The reason we decided to go with this method is because dividing the digit values can cause mathematical issues when you do something, like, subtract 300 from 1010. It also makes putting together the wide range of choices in the store a whole lot more efficient. We tried using scenery objects to count up the points, but we decided not to because of differences in cutoff that varying resolutions can cause. The points are displayed in a cR format and are tallied in 10s. You can have an infinite amount of cR, but going above 9990cR will display as +9990cR. This allows for complete monetary freedom while keeping the titles in check.

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
I think you should also be using the expanding shield I made for STKFT on your elites :)
Avaliable in stkft or by asking me. In addition to my sword and hunter I already see :)

Expanding shield? How does that work? I'll have to take a look later.
Sword is probably yours; the hunter is actually from FFDescent, when I overhauled the shaders and bitmaps on the H2 one.

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 01:02 PM    Msg. 25 of 362       
Yeah, our system is totally different than that. I'll send you a PM with details later. But rest assured, we've had our system in mind since summer of last year. I can give you the old concept drawings if you want. I've only ever heard of your system since you posted in in the Semi-Off. thread.

Our system uses one master global for the points, and nothing else. Digits are displayed based on "if" commands for in-between values. Buying an item just subtracts from the master value. In essence, the only division of digits happens when the game is figuring out which ones to display.

You really didn't have to post that big long thing on here... :\
Edited by MoooseGuy on Feb 4, 2013 at 01:10 PM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 01:24 PM    Msg. 26 of 362       
If or = points between this and this, display this digit.
For lower digits, if or = points this, this, this, this, or this, display this digit.

There are no digit 1, digit 2 or 3 like yours. It's all brought down to taking the points value and looking at what it has, and displaying the titles accordingly.
Edited by MoooseGuy on Feb 4, 2013 at 01:25 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 08:14 PM    Msg. 27 of 362       
Who gives a flying crap where the system of how the points work came from, the point is that it works for the map it is in.

Pepzee

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 10:53 PM    Msg. 28 of 362       
As the sole developer of the points system in Firefight Portent II I'll explain where it came from and how it got to be.

A long time ago when Gamma927 was still active in the community, he wanted to create a small mapping team, one final attempt to make a good map and do something for the community. Back then before my experience with Firefight Descent, I just wanted to join a team with the well known people, and Gamma927 was one of the most well known out there. The reason this is important is because when the team first formed in November of 2011 we were figuring what project to do, and among many of Gamma927's unfinished projects one stood out. Firefight Portent, left unfinished and as a beta. He gave me the source for the original Firefight Portent and hence the idea for Firefight Portent II was born.

But how does this relate to the points system?

When I looked through the original Firefight Portent script there was a massive problem with it and that was the usage of the HUD timer. I'm sure those of you familiar with the original Firefight Portent know of it's problem, it being a timer it counts to 59 00 and then goes to 1 00 00. When the team Gamma927 was still active I asked him if there was a better way to do this. He gave me this picture. From that I learned how to script my first points system and is similar to the script in Firefight Portent II today.

But what does this have to do with the current scripts in Firefight Portent II?

As a year passed by I forgot about the points system, and I gained experience with Firefight Descent. After Firefight Descent was done and complete it was time to decide what to do next. I remembered how in the last year in Gamma927's team that redoing Firefight Portent was an option and I still had the source code for it. I knew at first that if I just started asking people for help at random for this project it would be met with much skepticism, and that when starting you always have to have something to show other than words. To show that it's not all just talk and that it's an actual serious project. And I knew that the basis of Firefight Portent was the points system so that's where I started.

Enough of the story time, what about the scripts?

Since it was a year after Gamma927 taught me how to make a points system and I didn't have the source code for it I had to go off of memory to create it. I made a fatal error too, but the points system still works. I forgot about the division. This made the script extremely long, the way I did it is the script detects your points, and looks at every number between 0 and 999 to see what the ones place is, that's just for the ones digit place though. The tens were found out by detecting if the number was between say 720 and 729. Then it would display a 2 for the tens place. I did the same thing for the hundreds, I detected if the number was between 500 and 599 and the script would display a 5 as the hundreds place. I'll place the whole script for everyone's viewing pleasure in the link at the bottom of the post.

Cut to the chase already, was this script copied or not?

I can't answer for certainty, and if it was copied then it was unintentional. I asked Gamma927 recently where he had gotten his script from and he said that he made that concept up himself. I made an error when copying his script as well, so that changed how the script functions as well.

In the end the points system could very well include concepts or look very similar to other scripts out there, and I apologize if some scripts do look very similar. I try to give everybody credit where credit is due, but this is a hard one as I have no idea where the origin of the points system came from to begin with.

In the end though regardless of script or tag, I'm here to make the best maps Halomaps has ever seen, and I will never stop at any lengths to make them. I'll be damned if I stop trying to make them either.

Source for the points script: http://pastebin.com/Jp8xyd0u

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:00 PM    Msg. 29 of 362       
I'd like to clarify: I did NOT make the whole concept up.

When helping Pepzee, I drew some inspiration off of the points system that DSali had shown me. Part of it was mine, but several elements of it WERE drawn from his scripts.

Short answer? YES. The idea may have certain parts derived from DSali's ideas. I can't claim credit for what I didn't fully make; a lot of the inspiration did come from his implementation. At the time, I was just helping Pepzee; he had no idea that it was partially built upon ideas from DSali's conceptualization.

Was the actual script plagiarized? NO. I have full faith that Pepzee wrote the script himself, or based on certain ideas that I gave him from my and DSali's conceptualizations.

TL;DR: This argument is stupid; YES, DSali should be given credit for part of the script. NO, they didn't directly steal and copy DSali's script.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:52 PM    Msg. 30 of 362       
Bungie made the halo scripting. Where is their credits?

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:54 PM    Msg. 31 of 362       

+rep

Pepzee

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 11:58 PM    Msg. 32 of 362       
Quote: --- Original message by: Lestat
However, after looking over your script, I have one major concern. As stated earlier, if your display update script takes too long to cycle through (because of too many lines of code, because of so many many IF statements) your points display may lag behind what's really happening. This is all speculation because I had this problem with much much fewer lines of code in the update display script, and I haven't played the level to see myself. In short, we'll just have to see how well this works when the level is released.

Yea, we're still in an early beta stage and all scripts are still subject to change for better optimization.

As for all the credits lists and stuff we have yet to compile one yet but will later as we get closer to map release.

eliteslasher

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 12:04 AM    Msg. 33 of 362       

Why don't we just give this guy some credit too while we're at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 12:09 AM    Msg. 34 of 362       
that guy is a hack who wouldn't even be where he was if not for this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Roberts_(computers)

eliteslasher

Posted: Feb 5, 2013 12:22 AM    Msg. 35 of 362       
PFT!!! Please!
He would have gotten NOWHERE if it wasn't for this guy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
note how I didnt say edison because he was the hack of all hacks
Edited by eliteslasher on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Page 1 of 11 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 11 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 10:15 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website