A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Machinima Forum »Halo Movies Announcements »What do you think about my M.I.H. trailer

Author Topic: What do you think about my M.I.H. trailer (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Machinima_Freak

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 07:07 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
For those who don't know, M.I.H. is about a mysterious Spartan trying to find all of the Spartans that were classified as Mentally Insane or handicapped (M.I.H.) so the UNSC can reclassify them.

I just released a trailer and I'm wondering what you guys think about it and if you can give me any suggestions on anything that needs improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevL5Fg601E

(Also there's a lot of cryptic clips in the trailer that will be revealed later on in the machinima.

Edited by Machinima_Freak on Feb 28, 2013 at 07:07 PM

Edited by Machinima_Freak on Feb 28, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Edited by Machinima_Freak on Mar 1, 2013 at 07:27 AM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 06:37 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
Fixed link...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by hobbet360 on Mar 1, 2013 at 06:39 AM
Edited by hobbet360 on Mar 1, 2013 at 06:39 AM

Machinima_Freak

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 07:09 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
I just put of the RIGHT link, my bad. Thanks for pointing it out.
Edited by Machinima_Freak on Mar 1, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Edited by Machinima_Freak on Mar 1, 2013 at 08:38 AM

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 08:45 AM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Writing this from a neutral standpoint wherein I neither like or dislike the product you have created.

While it's a good attempt at conveying emotion through the use of symbolic and technical codes, the trailer lacks severely in several areas.
The first of these immediately noticeable was the 8-second black frame with backing ambient noise at the beginning of the trailer. It feels unnatural and suspends the illusion of another world the trailer tries to introduce as well as telling the viewer absolutely nothing. In successful versions of this situation, text or a more "animated" backing track has been used to occupy viewers and prevent them from getting bored and simply refusing to watch the rest. As I assume you will be releasing this product solely on the internet you need to remember that the average attention span of a YouTube viewer is extremely short. To combat this you need to engage your audience very quickly via text, video or audio that grabs their eyes and ears and rips them away from that exit button.

From an informative standpoint, the rest of the trailer was quite boring. Another 4 minutes occupied by spartans bobbing their heads up and down (which would be excusable if there was dialouge that told me about the plot) and running around open areas while a melancholic song plays. The point here is that trailers are for informing the viewers about the full product which your trailer does not at any point. All I know is that there are different colored spartans being killed by elites and running around. It could be about virtually anything which is a bad thing due to fact that people don't usually go to movies knowing absolutely nothing about them.

My suggestions for general improvement are:
Avoid awkward pause where nothing happens.
Tell the viewers about your product via text, dialouge or plot related actions.
Use a different font. The 12 year old halo ce font reeks of amateur no matter how 'halo' it feels.
Record in a HD resolution and aspect ratio such as 720p 16:9
Obtain a video recording software that does not create an ad overlay (this again instantly says amateur)

Also, here's an image about a good way to order information.

Hope this helped!

Machinima_Freak

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 09:41 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Okay, thank you for you criticism, but there are a couple of things I will tell you what I did that you suggested.

1:I did release in 1080p, you just got to set it on 1080p or 720p.

2:There is text in the first three black screen including the first one that you were talking about. It's really hard to see because its very dark. I'm planning on putting them in annotations. The thing is is that they are very cryptic and will be explained later on.

Other than that, I agree with you, I did mess up a couple of times, (like that font). Just remember, it has a lot of cryptic clips (like the bloody floor scene) and they will be explained later like I said.

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 07:46 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Yes I see you released in 1080p but the point I was making was to record and publish the video in a HD aspect ratio such as 16:9 instead of 4:3

I understand that you are trying to be cryptic and mysterious with your trailer but my best advice is to make the text both brighter and larger. You're not going to garner much interest if you have to force viewers to use fullscreen just to fully understand what is going on.

Overall, trailers are about informing viewers about the final product. Viewers need to be told that "okay, this trailer is about this, this and this"
Even the darkest and most mysterious films present information to the viewer in a simple and concise way which is what you need to work on.

Machinima_Freak

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 09:33 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
True, I'm even thinking about taking the video off of youtube and adding some revisions to the trailer. I will be publishing the video in 16:9, brighting the text and make look less noobish compared to the logo, and maybe adding some dialogue in it.

Again, thank you for giving me some advice. Once I finish revising it, I will post the new link for the video.

anto99

Posted: May 9, 2013 01:18 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       
From an informative standpoint, the rest of the trailer was quite boring. Another 4 minutes occupied by spartans bobbing their heads up and down (which would be excusable if there was dialouge that told me about the plot) and running around open areas while a melancholic song plays. The point here is that trailers are for informing the viewers about the full product which your trailer does not at any point. All I know is that there are different colored spartans being killed by elites and running around. It could be about virtually anything which is a bad thing due to fact that people don't usually go to movies knowing absolutely nothing about them.

*url removed: no advertizing
Edited by Dennis on May 9, 2013 at 04:17 PM

Machinima_Freak

Posted: Jun 4, 2013 12:12 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
I made it unlisted because I'm revising the original trailer so it won't be like John Carter.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat March 25, 2017 11:25 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website