A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How Winders 8 Works For CE

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: How Winders 8 Works For CE (39 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 10:55 PM    Msg. 1 of 39       
As some of you may remember, I recently created (two) threads about whether Windows 8 can properly support CE and any other programs we use for development.

Well I now have had this Windows 8 computer for two weeks now, and I must say it runs great.

- 3DSmax runs very quickly, although the only error I get with it is that every once in a while, a small square section of the screen will be frozen to whatever 3dsmax was looking at. Once I close max, this goes away.

- Photoshop runs perfectly without any issues at all.

- CE runs perfectly without any issues at all. (HEK included)

- Sony Vegas Pro 64-Bit works perfectly.

- Tool, Sapien, and Kornman V2 work great too

Issues:

I hate metro, 'nuff said. (go download ClassicShell for your Start button back.)

- My wireless xbox 360 controller works flawlessly with Halo 2 Vista (which does run on Windows 8), but it TERRIBLE, with any other games due to the shivvy drivers.

- I had to install\remove\install Modern Warfare 2 and 3 about 5 times each to get them to work. Some of the times were because I've never used Steam before (which thinks it is a wonderful idea to download and install the game from the internet rather than the DVD.)

In short, Windows 8 does great with compatibility for CE related items, and I've had no issues I couldn't get around. I have NOT tried compiling sounds with the xbox formatting, but I'll update whenever I get around to it.

abkarch

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 10:58 PM    Msg. 2 of 39       
If i ever need a new OS, i might pick windows 8 up for, say, 5 dollars, but no more than that...

Jesse

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 11:27 PM    Msg. 3 of 39       
Yeah, it's barely tolerable for me, but since I got the Classicshell, it works more like win7.

killer1

the toilet cam needs cleaning

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 11:51 PM    Msg. 4 of 39       
I think WIN8 is a update from WIN VISTA.I will keep my WIN7.I would go back to WIN XP PRO,but it wont install on my duel core 64 bit laptop.
--I got some programs where I have to see the open program while looking for other programs in the start button.Can not do that with METRO.I guess I could get another monitor and put METRO on that.
--It is about time I fire up my old 42 MHz desktop with 4 megs of ram,240 meg hd and it runs WIN95 very slow and simple.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 11:59 PM    Msg. 5 of 39       
Does Open Sauce work well with W8? Or haz u no tried

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 12:09 AM    Msg. 6 of 39       
LOL Windows 8! Computer stores near me advertise downgrading to windows 7 with nice bright happy lettering because they know people will do it. Do I even need to say anything else? I don't think my city is the only place this occurs.

Windows 8 most God awful OS since ME. Why MS would think people should have to pay for it is WAY beyond me.

Jesse

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 12:11 AM    Msg. 7 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Not yet.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 12:55 AM    Msg. 8 of 39       
Try now and enlighten us

jackrabbit

Fight Against the Machine of Deth!

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 04:15 AM    Msg. 9 of 39       
Wow I thought I was alone hear I to am having this issue!

- 3DSmax runs very quickly, although the only error I get with it is that every once in a while, a small square section of the screen will be frozen to whatever 3dsmax was looking at. Once I close max, this goes away.

So Fing annoying! It's driving me mad! what version of max are you using?
This is the worst issue! I have tried to fix it no luck! I think max is missing some needed windows .dll not included with windows 8. I rely want to know what his problem is.
OS works fine BTW!
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 7, 2013 at 04:21 AM

Oskarmandude

Make Halomaps Fully Hectic Again

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 04:33 AM    Msg. 10 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
LOL Windows 8! Computer stores near me advertise downgrading to windows 7 with nice bright happy lettering because they know people will do it. Do I even need to say anything else? I don't think my city is the only place this occurs.

Windows 8 most God awful OS since ME. Why MS would think people should have to pay for it is WAY beyond me.

*Upgrading to Windows 7

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 05:54 AM    Msg. 11 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Yeah, works fine.

Also, I don't know why people hate 'Metro' so much. If you use it for more than a week, you should get used to it(unless you're absolutely terrible at learning).
My thought is that the hate is just a rebellious instinct caused by Microsoft's ridiculously exaggerated advertising as well as pressure from all the other haters. I hated on Windows 8 originally just because of Microsoft's advertising, oh and partly because Gabe was spinning mad tales.

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 07:11 AM    Msg. 12 of 39       
I have Windows 8, I just got a new laptop about a week ago and everything runs fine, but I haven't tried HEK+ yet, because I have forgotten how to change all the compatibility crud. It WILL all work if you install it correctly.

and on another note...
I got used to it after about a few hours, its just like windows 7 except from the new start menu, and the way you turn it off (which is the only thing I don't like, getting that menu on the side to come up when I want, and stay hidden when I don't).

and on another note...
it is much faster, the interface and the smoothness.
Edited by hobbet360 on Apr 7, 2013 at 07:12 AM

eliteslasher

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 10:18 AM    Msg. 13 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: Oskarmandude

*Upgrading to Windows 7

Sorry I meant to put downgrading in quotes as to imply that it was a joke and the joke part of it was how "WONDERFUL" Win 8 is.

Jesse

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 10:32 AM    Msg. 14 of 39       
As a first time user, I had to Google how to log off and/or shut down my PC.

Kureha

SUBARUUU!~~~

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 11:43 AM    Msg. 15 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: Johnlex2
Windows XP is more practical, I say

Windows XP is obsolete with newer games and programs coming out today aimed towards W7 and W8, therefore it isn't practical anymore.

eliteslasher

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 11:45 AM    Msg. 16 of 39       

Windows xp is still an INSANELY viable OS because it is stable with almost all old AND new programs. Sure, there are some programs that allow 64 bit, but XP runs the 32 bit versions quite nicely. It's still better than vista IMO, not so good at 7, but definitely better than 8 also.

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 12:18 PM    Msg. 17 of 39       
Windows 3.1 is also very good if you like playing floppy disks.

subtank

Down is Up

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 12:32 PM    Msg. 18 of 39       

Windows xp is still an INSANELY viable OS because it is stable with almost all old AND new programs. Sure, there are some programs that allow 64 bit, but XP runs the 32 bit versions quite nicely. It's still better than vista IMO, not so good at 7, but definitely better than 8 also.

You might as well consider migrating to either 7 or 8 right now 'cause XP is on a death row. Support is ending in less than a year from now (April 4, 2014). Good luck using it right after...

On topic: if HCE works on Windows 8, would it work on Microsoft's Surface Pro (not RT)?

abkarch

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 03:14 PM    Msg. 19 of 39       
yes it would work on the pro. the pro is an x86 system.

Jaz

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 05:24 PM    Msg. 20 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

Which you likely had to do when first using an earlier version of Windows. How terrible :O (Sarcasm)

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 05:43 PM    Msg. 21 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

Which you likely had to do when first using an earlier version of Windows. How terrible :O (Sarcasm)
There is actually people that stupid that cant find a power button when its right in the magical menu that does everything? I didn't know people that stupid even existed. Give your family my condolences.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 06:08 PM    Msg. 22 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422There is actually people that stupid that cant find a power button when its right in the magical menu that does everything? I didn't know people that stupid even existed. Give your family my condolences.

how do they open said menu? what tells you to click the button? who says what the windows button does? how do you know that a circle bisected with a line means power off?
Edited by master noob on Apr 7, 2013 at 06:08 PM

Jaz

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 07:26 PM    Msg. 23 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422

There is actually people that stupid that cant find a power button when its right in the magical menu that does everything? I didn't know people that stupid even existed. Give your family my condolences.

The same applies to Windows 8's menu. There's a button that's labelled quite clearly 'Power'. Ooh, I wonder what it does... -.-

Perhaps my earlier considered joke about Jesse having to google everything would have been appropriate after all. Oh well...

killer1

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 07:38 PM    Msg. 24 of 39       
When I am vegitated like WIN8,pull the plug.Dont waist money.WIN8 was made for touchy touchy people,unless a real 3D monitor can be made.

kirby_422

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 07:49 PM    Msg. 25 of 39       

The same applies to Windows 8's menu. There's a button that's labelled quite clearly 'Power'. Ooh, I wonder what it does... -.-

Perhaps my earlier considered joke about Jesse having to google everything would have been appropriate after all. Oh well...
What hacked version of W8 do you have that has the start menu back? because it sure didnt come from the store like that. W8, its placed in stupid submenus like 3 levels down (or, I believe there is one right on the login screen. But, when actually using the PC, thats still that far you have to go to get to it)

clonecam117

Now a professional VFX/particle effect artist.

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 07:51 PM    Msg. 26 of 39       
Win8 was made for technically challenged people like my mother. When I was still living with her I had to help her with copying and pasting. Not even freakin' kidding you.

Jaz

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 08:04 PM    Msg. 27 of 39       

What hacked version of W8 do you have that has the start menu back? because it sure didnt come from the store like that. W8, its placed in stupid submenus like 3 levels down (or, I believe there is one right on the login screen. But, when actually using the PC, thats still that far you have to go to get to it)

Same amount of menus as on any other version of Windows, if you have it in a sub-menu that is(don't know what's wrong with that :/).
Just go to either of the right corners of the screen, press 'Settings', then the 'Power' button's right there. Really not that difficult to find it.

kirby_422

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 08:05 PM    Msg. 28 of 39       
I honestly feel sorry for you. You have my condolences.

killer1

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 08:28 PM    Msg. 29 of 39       
A few days ago I tried to teather my WIN6.5 PHONE to WIN8 and it would not work.I like my TMobile phone and it is payed for.MS and TMobile said to upgrade.Yah that is a simpile $ fix.I will teather it to my XP PRO laptop.
----My WIN8 has a start icon and a restart icon.The shut off or restart can now be done in 1 or 2 moves.Metro is no good to me.
----Is there a way to put METRO on a 2nd monitor?
Edited by killer1 on Apr 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Jesse

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 01:48 AM    Msg. 30 of 39       
Quote: --- Original message by: killer1

A few days ago I tried to teather my WIN6.5 PHONE to WIN8 and it would not work.I like my TMobile phone and it is payed for.MS and TMobile said to upgrade.Yah that is a simpile $ fix.I will teather it to my XP PRO laptop.
----My WIN8 has a start icon and a restart icon.The shut off or restart can now be done in 1 or 2 moves.Metro is no good to me.

We are NOT a help thread, go somewhere else.

Also, Windows 8 settings on the right side of the screen DOESN'T say power, it says SETTINGS, which is where the Power option is located. What's ridiculous is that powering off the computer doesn't set anything, so why is it in settings? Furthermore, we can't Log Off from there, we have to go into metro. The settings menu on the right also seems to decide for itself when it does and does not show up.

I downloaded Classicshell and got my sweet Start button back with all the works :D

So OS works with Windows 8? Now I know, though my GTA 4 doesn't seem to be installing.
Edited by Jesse on Apr 8, 2013 at 01:49 AM

abkarch

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 07:08 AM    Msg. 31 of 39       
You know, whenn you are releasing an OS that your expecting people to adapt to, why would you not ensure everything is compatible.

killer1

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 07:32 AM    Msg. 32 of 39       
People dont whimp out and whine.Keep a WIN XP computer for this program,keep a WIN 7 COMPUTER for that program,keep a WIN 8 for those touchy-touchy days.
----My MOM say"GET A MAC".
----My MOM'S BOSS says"RUN UNIX,the BERKLEY COLLEGE OS.
.....I SAY,NO I GOT TO MANY COMPUTERS.

Jaz

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 07:34 AM    Msg. 33 of 39       

Quote: --- Original message by: killer1

We are NOT a help thread, go somewhere else.

Also, Windows 8 settings on the right side of the screen DOESN'T say power, it says SETTINGS, which is where the Power option is located. What's ridiculous is that powering off the computer doesn't set anything, so why is it in settings? Furthermore, we can't Log Off from there, we have to go into metro. The settings menu on the right also seems to decide for itself when it does and does not show up.

If it decides for itself when to show up, your monitor's probably got weird edges. It appears for me whenever I flick to either of the right corners of the screen.

And well, it is setting the power to be off. (Within the computer, it is actually electronically 'flicking a switch'(in the form of some pins))

Admittedly, I never Log Off anyway. I only use one account and my PC shuts down and boots so quickly that there's no point in leaving it on for further use.

clonecam117

Now a professional VFX/particle effect artist.

Posted: Apr 8, 2013 09:56 AM    Msg. 34 of 39       
When I first clicked on this thread's name, I was expecting a giant picture of a turd.

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 02:26 PM    Msg. 35 of 39       
Hay I just wanted to let people know that windows 8 has destroyed a model I'm working on. 2 times now.

aside from the trash in the center of your screen error I have been working on a model and my computer decides to crash. to a blue screen with a :( saying driver power state fail. or some crap its happened to me a couple times sense I got windows 8 a couple months ago but its rare. I looked up the error and it seems I'm not the only one having the issue's I never experience this on windows 7 ever.

anyway if this happens and you have a model open at the time. when you boot back up and go to open your model.

You will get an error and max will say your file is corrupted and max has no time for autoback.

This has happened to me to times so far I'm just lucky I had backups.
and it just happened to me agin and makes me pretty mad because I lost some good Hr's of work because of it.

so I figured I'd let people know. I think its a serious issue with windows 8.

not that I don't like windows 8 but there is some issues so far. and they are pretty annoying.
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 13, 2013 at 02:31 PM

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue November 19, 2019 2:18 PM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website