A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Overrated Maps

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Overrated Maps (56 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

baconatorCE

I'm a curse and I'm a sound

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 05:16 PM    Msg. 1 of 56       
We have all downloaded maps based off of their high ratings and later discovered that they were quite disappointing. What maps do you think are overrated?

The ones that immediately come to my mind are Immure (8.7), Hugeass (9.1), and Celer Exile ODST (8.3).

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 05:21 PM    Msg. 2 of 56       
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6240
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6622
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6514
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6571

Mod, mod, mod and mod. Obviously overrated.

Also:

-Extincion (9.2).
-Firefight Portent (9.1): Mainly because the BR, seems like it has an aimbot incorporated. Yeah, I know Gamma only released it to show the points system.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Apr 20, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Apr 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 06:27 PM    Msg. 3 of 56       
Foundry is way overrated, it sucks.

SilentJacket

-Did I miss something?-

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 06:36 PM    Msg. 4 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

+1

I'd have to say any coldsnap, or really any excessively huge map

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 07:00 PM    Msg. 5 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

Agreed.
Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket
I'd have to say any coldsnap, or really any excessively huge map

I totally agree, I never had fun on those maps.

Extincion: You wait 3 min a good weapon to respawn, you walk 5 miles to the other team base (even if you have a vehicle it can be a looong way), and then BOOM! died for a invincible Longsword bomb. That's stupid.

OrangeJuice

"especially not the so called 'helpful' types."

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 07:38 PM    Msg. 6 of 56       
ui.map

There needs to be a filter to get rid of stock maps

InsaneNapkin

"I will not forget those who have fallen"

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 07:59 PM    Msg. 7 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: DSalimander
Lumoria.

I'm confused on how it can be overrated when there are barely any other single player maps out there...

I find it to be original and fun, but there are some bugs. This is based on my preference though.

Seeing as you love beautiful shader work, I can see why you might not like it.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:01 PM    Msg. 8 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: InsaneNapkin
Lumoria.

I'm confused on how it can be overrated when there are barely any other single player maps out there...

I find it to be original and fun, but there are some bugs. This is based on my preference though.

Seeing as you love beautiful shader work, I can see why you might not like it.

It can be overrated because the option to rate Lumoria exists.

InsaneNapkin

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:06 PM    Msg. 9 of 56       
I see what you mean, but isn't that based off the lack of single player maps? I don't know, I enjoyed it more than the CMT single player maps because of its originality.

But I do find the rating options to be a bit silly sometimes.

Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
Thats just sali, its okay.

lol, ok. So I see he's one of the funny guys around here.
Edited by InsaneNapkin on Apr 20, 2013 at 08:08 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:10 PM    Msg. 10 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: InsaneNapkin
I see what you mean, but isn't that based off the lack of single player maps? I don't know, I enjoyed it more than the CMT single player maps because of its originality.

"oh goodie, it's original! sure there are parts where there is only a rock for cover, enemies all over and about 7 wraiths in one congested area but just because it's original that means it's fun! especially when there is an area where an elite in a specific turret is immune to fall damage so when the turret falls off the cliff the level cannot progress and there's an area where all the covies hide in buildings making walking in them instant suicide, but original!"

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:14 PM    Msg. 11 of 56       
Takedown: The Introduction

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:18 PM    Msg. 12 of 56       
Of course Lumoria has bugs and inconsistencies, but in general I did enjoyed it a lot. When I played Lumoria Episode I I was the kind of player that thinks "Oh it doesnt have new gunzz! It sucks!". But when I play the entire campaing it was really good and fun, and I really didn't expect that. It's more a matter of tastes.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: Danger_zone_98
Of course Lumoria has bugs and inconsistencies, but in general I did enjoyed it a lot. When I played Lumoria Episode I I was the kind of player that thinks "Oh it doesnt have new gunzz! It sucks!". But when I play the entire campaing it was really good and fun, and I really didn't expect that. It's more a matter of tastes.

I'm certain it would have been a lot more enjoyable if Lode hadn't tried cramming "It's better than everything" into every thread about lumoria. still don't know why dennis closed all threads pointing out how bad lumoria is, no matter how valid the points. it's halo, it's a discussion, yet they got closed.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:28 PM    Msg. 14 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: master noob

I'm certain it would have been a lot more enjoyable if Lode hadn't tried cramming "It's better than everything" into every thread about lumoria. still don't know why dennis closed all threads pointing out how bad lumoria is, no matter how valid the points. it's halo, it's a discussion, yet they got closed.

Yes, that was his stupid error. But regardless of his egocentric behavior Lumoria was fun for me.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:28 PM    Msg. 15 of 56       
. still don't know why dennis closed all threads pointing out how bad lumoria is, no matter how valid the points. it's halo, it's a discussion, yet they got closed.
Your perception of what constitutes a "discussion" does not match the accepted reality. Which is why they tend to get locked.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:31 PM    Msg. 16 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
. still don't know why dennis closed all threads pointing out how bad lumoria is, no matter how valid the points. it's halo, it's a discussion, yet they got closed.
Your perception of what constitutes a "discussion" does not match the accepted reality. Which is why they tend to get locked.

What does constitute a "discussion", Dennis?

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:39 PM    Msg. 17 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

so if I point out Lumoria's flaws and leave them open for discussion, there wouldn't be a need for a lock since it pertains to how the map is overrated and it's a halo map, right?

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 56       
From what I've seen in Lumoria discussions it's just a bunch of people with a good vocabulary acting like egocentric idiots, giving some stupid arguments, premature conclussions and distorting ideas from others. Definitely not a formal discussion.

MatthewDratt

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 08:56 PM    Msg. 19 of 56       
Oh god please don't have this turn into another LUMORO SUXS thread. That's not what this is about

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:04 PM    Msg. 20 of 56       
Basically you took at least 6 main issues and divided each in 10. But yeah, almost everything you say is correct, but most of them are not game breakers and those who are are rare (at least for me). Lumoria had bugs, and that's why I like it but I don't think it's the best thing in the Universe, but for me and for most people we never noticed most of the issues or at least didn't oversized them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJrHGP3mqM

E: OMG... what just happened here, I didn't want that!

ON TOPIC: Rate numbers are almost never important, that's why I download and play the map even if its rating is 2 or 10. People in general who rates maps are not trustworthy to you, everyone has diferent opinions.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:08 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:04 PM    Msg. 21 of 56       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Oh god please don't have this turn into another LUMORO SUXS thread. That's not what this is about

it's about overrated maps, aka lumoria, what's off topic?
Basically you took at least 6 main issues and divided each in 10. But yeah, almost everything you say is correct, but most of them are not game breakers and those who are are rare (at least for me). Lumoria had bugs, and that's why I like it but I don't think it's the best thing in the Universe, but for me and for most people we never noticed most of the issues or at least didn't oversized them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJrHGP3mqM

not just bugs; there are gameplay elements that literally make the game impossible. as I said, there is a part with enemies and ghosts everywhere and 7 wraiths prevent hiding behind cover, so it's either get blasted to death by mortar or run around dodging plasma fire from all directions, both of which result in imminent death. on the super elite battle (the one with the sword n' board combo) the drones don't add fun to the fight, but make it much more frustrating since the elite is insta-kill and the sheer drone fire drains health faster than you can kill them, promoting hide-and-seek playstyles that are more chore-like than fun.
Edited by master noob on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:07 PM

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:13 PM    Msg. 22 of 56       
It's more a matter of tastes.

@master noob. Those things you mentioned didn't bother me at all, I found it funny actually, and a lot people can find it funny too. You and others can hate it, and you can give your opinions but it's completely stupid to make such discussions (those who have been locked).

It'd be funny if Dennis blocks this now
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:14 PM

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:18 PM    Msg. 23 of 56       
Coldsnap, Extinction, Hugeass, Immure.

Immure would be more fun if it didn't have the incredibly overpowered flying speeder things. Players try to betray each other just to get their hands on it. It's worse than having teammates fight over the banshee in Bloodgulch.

Also, the whole 'overrated map' thing is a reason why I personally think the matchmaking system for other halo games is so much better. It puts a fair amount of people into a game, while with Halo 1 and Halo 2, people only join maps where people are actually playing them. Nobody ever joins a server with 0 other players just because they like the map. Therefore the maps that continuously gain players suck up all the attention and lesser known, but actually FUN maps never get played.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:26 PM    Msg. 24 of 56       
Those things you mentioned didn't bother me at all, I found it funny actually, and a lot people can find it funny too. You and others can hate it, and you can give your opinions but it's completely stupid to make such discussions (those who have been locked).

The point isn't simply that a specific level is not good. The problem is the sheer denial of any negative claims by TM about their work. This is childish and frankly, I laugh at how much they hyped their work up and rode on the compliments of people who don't even know what it takes to make an SP. Most of the people who claim Lumoria is good has no idea how much better it could easily be if the authors weren't so damn stubborn.

Yes, TM in general behave like egocentrics idiots that think they're perfect. Yes, it could be better. But: you hate it, fine, you say why and that makes sense, fine, but I and I'm sure a lot more find Lumoria entertaining and fun in aspects you don't and that's what people must know.
It's more a matter of tastes.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:27 PM    Msg. 25 of 56       
@master noob. Those things you mentioned didn't bother me at all, I found it funny actually, and a lot people can find it funny too. You and others can hate it, and you can give your opinions but it's completely stupid to make such discussions (those who have been locked).

brushing off all my points because I hate it shows nothing; there were a few things I enjoyed such as releasing sentinels (and subsequently destroying them) but simply saying "you hate it and I liked it, shut up" isn't the best way to go about things.

edit: don't take this out of context. I understand your point about tastes; I hate cashews but that doesn't mean they're bad. I'm just saying that there are things that could have made lumoria such a better experience had TM actually listened.
Edited by master noob on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:31 PM

MatthewDratt

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:32 PM    Msg. 26 of 56       
Those things you mentioned didn't bother me at all, I found it funny actually, and a lot people can find it funny too. You and others can hate it, and you can give your opinions but it's completely stupid to make such discussions (those who have been locked).

The point isn't simply that a specific level is not good. The problem is the sheer denial of any negative claims by TM about their work. This is childish and frankly, I laugh at how much they hyped their work up and rode on the compliments of people who don't even know what it takes to make an SP. Most of the people who claim Lumoria is good has no idea how much better it could easily be if the authors weren't so damn stubborn.

I find it funny how you talk about how TM has such big egos when you're pretty much saying anyone who liked Lumoria "don't even know what it takes to make an SP" (DSalimander). Do you know what it takes to make a SP because from yours that are released so far, it doesn't really seem like it.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:33 PM    Msg. 27 of 56       

brushing off all my points because I hate it shows nothing; there were a few things I enjoyed such as releasing sentinels (and subsequently destroying them) but simply saying "you hate it and I liked it, shut up" isn't the best way to go about things.

I never said it in that way
like egocentric idiots, giving some stupid arguments, premature conclussions and distorting ideas from others. Definitely not a formal discussion.

What do you want me to say? I like the part of the Elite because it's hard, for me it's fun, for you it's a game breaker thing. That's the whole point with the rest, except bugs, yes, those are really game breakers, but enough to say "Lumoria is [****] and sucks!"?... What? It's always people trying to impose their opinion over other's opinion.

There's a limit between what is bad for everyone and what depends on personal preferences.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Apr 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

InsaneNapkin

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:37 PM    Msg. 28 of 56       
Well, I'll say it. Seclusion has to be the most overrated map in my library.

It's a nice looking map, but it's absolutely boring. What is the point of a nice looking map if its gameplay is un-original and boring?

Meh, I need to stay away from all this negative thinking.

InsaneNapkin

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 09:45 PM    Msg. 29 of 56       
Well, you were not responsible for gameplay. You did a great job making it look beautiful, and I'll give you credit for that.

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 10:38 PM    Msg. 30 of 56       
edit: don't take this out of context. I understand your point about tastes; I hate cashews but that doesn't mean they're bad. I'm just saying that there are things that could have made lumoria such a better experience had TM actually listened.
Edited by master noob on Apr 20, 2013 at 09:31 PM

I just read that, and I agree, but my point isn't that Lumoria is just good and fun. My point is:

People with different tastes ≠ stupid/blind people

Some people think Lumoria is a piece of [****] and think that the people who say Lumoria is fun are stupid. False.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWJrHGP3mqM You can see in his review how he had fun, just like I had when I played it.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 11:01 PM    Msg. 31 of 56       
lumoria sux

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 11:27 PM    Msg. 32 of 56       
There's a limit between what is bad for everyone and what depends on personal preferences.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Apr 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Let me fix that:

"There's a difference between what is bad for everyone and what depends on personal preferences."

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 01:08 AM    Msg. 33 of 56       
Though I agree with Dsali's list, I also have to say that people that have long experience with the engine really just nitpick and let things bother them (such as myself). However the design visually of lumoria is not too pleasant, the flower fields and kids voice acting makes me feel like I'm in some nerfed fairy tail land. The campaign was pretty unoriginal and mediocre, though I have to say, it is good to see an effort at a full SP project, and Lumoria currently stands as the best SP on halomaps. Not for long though.

baconatorCE

I'm a curse and I'm a sound

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 01:24 AM    Msg. 34 of 56       
Allow me to get this thread back on track. This is a thread for posting your own list of overrated maps based off of your personal preference. This thread was not meant to be a discussion of the validity of other people's preferences, especially about Lumoria. Please stop.

Noobyourmom

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 03:40 AM    Msg. 35 of 56       
E20. Put a bunch of GTA vehicles in a map with only 3 encounters and noobs love it. Although I have to give props to whoever ripped the Walton farm truck and the yohog creator. Those are too much fun with rocket marines riding.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5344

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 4:56 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website