A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »hud

Author Topic: hud (32 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

jackrabbit

Fight Against the Machine of Deth!

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 01:41 PM    Msg. 1 of 32       
I'm working on a new HUD & IM using the Halo 3 HUD as base. from the site.

Anyway I extracted the bitmaps with fires bitmaps extracter and they come out as 2 bitmaps only not 2 bitmaps with alpha channels. And I know one of them needs a garnet fade. But IM a little confused.

I wached the tutorial on health meters but IM working on the shield meter the one IM working on has 2 bitmaps in one . Bitmap tag and they both have there Owen alpha.

Can anyone explain how to do this or point me to a tutorial strictly for shield meter?

Also one other thing is that the shield meter is not colored in the HUD it's color is actually coming from the bitmaps.

Sorry if that was Confusing I'm going for a new shield meter and it keeps coming out wrong.
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 22, 2013 at 01:43 PM

jawa

Utinni!

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 01:39 AM    Msg. 2 of 32       
I believe health and shield meters work exactly the same. I used this health meter tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoiI_1DRT38 to make a shield meter. As for the color halo ce adds color through guerilla.
Edited by jawa on Apr 23, 2013 at 01:40 AM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 04:04 AM    Msg. 3 of 32       
I'm guessing that the Halo 3 HUD you downloaded was mine, since no one else has released one except CAD.

My shield meter is colored in the bitmap because CE can't use gradients for colors on the meters, and achieving the proper colors would have been impossible otherwise.

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 11:35 AM    Msg. 4 of 32       
Jessie you are a genius.

the color is added in a second layer bitmap not guerilla that's why I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to remake it.

But you know this is a great method because You could have a multi color shield meter this way.

Just look at my H4 moded version of your hud.

Now the hard part is how am I going make a squished radar that stretches with OS HUD display scaling to be a perfect fit.

Edit: I rely don't know if it was cad's or not I don't even remember downloading it honestly. I just coped the HUD form my halo 3 tags folder to have something to start with as base when I was making this.

still WIP. But I'm happy with the shield meter.

also Jessie do you have any old bitmaps or wips that might fit well for a forerunner or mass effect type HUD.
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 12:42 PM    Msg. 5 of 32       
Its best to actually use your own designs when showcasing something. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you should at least include the source of the original bitmap.

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 06:48 PM    Msg. 6 of 32       
That^ Was all ready posted in the fourm I didn't see any point in reposting it and I alredy shared my inter helmet part in General Discussion. I'm not show showcasing anything The HUD is WIP
The HUD is for Mark VI Master Chef helmet. the original design is by Senior 2D Artist - Eric Will from 343

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/01/Inside-343-Eric-Will.aspx
I got the image from bing and made the sheld meter from scratch.
also added the inter helmet parts. it's a replica.

I'm also working on 3 other hud's that are totally custom.

1 is for storm trooper.

Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 25, 2013 at 08:51 AM

Jesse

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 02:38 AM    Msg. 7 of 32       
Wow, they have the HUD modeled in... Pretty cool. I thought they just used high res bitmaps for everything.

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 03:49 AM    Msg. 8 of 32       
Yeah It's pretty cool Eric is deff pretty good with his hud's as you know xbox360 down scales from 1080 x 1920 to 1280x 720.

Its sad rely.

anyway Halo CE can run in full 1920x1080 without down scaling.

That is if you are running open sauce.

my HUD is totally taking advantage of OS HUD display scaling mind you my HUD is not downscaled.

The only scaling being done is from left to right. with OS. so my HUD is actually build squished

I finished the radar with the same method you used for the shield meter.
I'm not even done yet.

I have also figured out how to get the blur tone like the original.

Anyway I do have the radar scaled to fit after 2 days of work. But still a lot more needs to be done.

I also started working on a storm trooper shield meter.

Edit: Well I just did my first in game test of the storm trooper HUD. and wanted to post an update to it so hear it is...

Remember its still WIP. A lot is subject to change. many things didn't turn out like I wanted them to in game yet.

for instance the helmet parts are tented blue. IDK why but it will get a lot better. I hope.

I am also going to move the top part up. and try and open the view up as much as possible from obstruction. and in the end every thing will have a blur anyway.

this is just a pic of the outline some of the alpha channel is not set up yet. sorry.

currently this is what I have.

Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 25, 2013 at 07:49 AM

The shield meter and radar will be red to match and will be moved soon.
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 25, 2013 at 07:51 AM

Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 25, 2013 at 08:08 AM

savinpvtmike

It's heavily inserted

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 07:57 AM    Msg. 9 of 32       
nice work man

Jesse

Posted: Apr 26, 2013 12:35 AM    Msg. 10 of 32       
I seriously recommend bringing the bottom part of the visor down so it won't interfere.

Liek so:

Edited by Jesse on Apr 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 26, 2013 06:26 AM    Msg. 11 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: jackrabbit
Yeah Thanks mike.

Also yeah I plan on bring it down a bit.

Edit: Couple questions...

Is there anyway I can make the animated part round on the radar?
& is it possible to turn the HUD off when zoomed?
& can I make colored zoom in masks.
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 28, 2013 at 03:14 AM

Jesse

Posted: Apr 28, 2013 03:25 AM    Msg. 12 of 32       

Yeah Thanks mike.

Also yeah I plan on bring it down a bit.

Edit: Couple questions...

Is there anyway I can make the animated part round on the radar?
& is it possible to turn the HUD off when zoomed?
& can I make colored zoom in masks.
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 28, 2013 at 03:14 AM

Who's mike?

Anyway, I don't understand what you mean about the motion sensor radar.
As far as I know, you can't turn the HUD off without turning off the zoom mask either.
Technically you can't, but you can use fancy crosshairs stuff to simulate a high res, and colored zoom mask.

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 28, 2013 04:28 AM    Msg. 13 of 32       
the motion sensor animation is like an egg not round like my radar.
the radar is done perfect but the animation is like squished.

ok how do I make a rely high rez zoom mask. do you have a realy high rez one with alpha I can use as base?

like how high can I go? I made one with 1024x1024 back and white. but it looks horrible.
when I zoom because of the HUD.

Also I worked on the shield even more. I Got the color fades and garnets, saturation.. all pixel perfect.

Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 28, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 28, 2013 at 04:32 AM

Jesse

Posted: Apr 28, 2013 02:44 PM    Msg. 14 of 32       
Turn down the alpha on the tags. Make your visor disappear when you zoom in.

You may need a new motion sweeper bitmap, I assume you're using the default halo 1 sweeper?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Apr 28, 2013 07:15 PM    Msg. 15 of 32       

the motion sensor animation is like an egg not round like my radar.
the radar is done perfect but the animation is like squished.

ok how do I make a rely high rez zoom mask. do you have a realy high rez one with alpha I can use as base?

like how high can I go? I made one with 1024x1024 back and white. but it looks horrible.
when I zoom because of the HUD.

Also I worked on the shield even more. I Got the color fades and garnets, saturation.. all pixel perfect.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/jackrabbitlight/drtae_zps231e2ca5.jpg
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 28, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 28, 2013 at 04:32 AM

Again, please try to post higher resolution screenshots if possible.

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 02:00 PM    Msg. 16 of 32       

Hope this helps a bit:

jackrabbit

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 05:14 PM    Msg. 17 of 32       
Where can I Turn down the alpha on the tags. & Make the visor disappear when you zoom in?

Edited by jackrabbit on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Jesse

Posted: May 2, 2013 03:15 AM    Msg. 18 of 32       
Modify the mask bitmap. The closer it is to white, The darker it will be (or was that the other way around.)

Tone down the white around your shield meter and visor outlines, and add some gradients around the visor lines. When foundry is released, you can look to see how I did the zoom out stuff for the visor and weapons.

jackrabbit

Posted: May 3, 2013 05:48 PM    Msg. 19 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Modify the mask bitmap. The closer it is to white, The darker it will be (or was that the other way around.)

Tone down the white around your shield meter and visor outlines, and add some gradients around the visor lines. When foundry is released, you can look to see how I did the zoom out stuff for the visor and weapons.

I'm trying to make a new counter for the ammo. like halo 4's
this is the origanl I need to replace from globals.
im rely not understaning how this one work's though, because it didn't extract a alpha chanel at all. All I got was a clear tif with the white numbers.
I put a black background on this one just to show.
but I want to use the halo 4 numbers for my ammo counter like in the halo 4 hud.
I all redy have the numbers. im just not sure how this works or how to go about making a new one of these.

Edited by jackrabbit on May 3, 2013 at 05:52 PM

jackrabbit

Posted: May 3, 2013 06:21 PM    Msg. 20 of 32       
It is a sprite but this one only has one bitmap sequence. Bitmap 0
It's in globals
interface bitmaps.

hud digits definition
ui\hud\counter
ui\hud\bitmaps\combined\hud_counter_numbers
Edited by jackrabbit on May 3, 2013 at 06:21 PM

jackrabbit

Posted: May 3, 2013 08:50 PM    Msg. 21 of 32       
I'm still rely confused though, do they need to be a power of 2? and does it matter what size they are?

do I need to do them like...

1,2,3,9, , ,-, 8,km,4,:,5,m,6,0,7
in this order? ^

the km is only in the alpha channel witch is rely odd. it seems like when I compile it always puts the km first or last.

I don't understand if the km is one bitmap or to? and also when ever I compile them my 1 ends up last instead of first. why?

And the km ends up moving on me. so weard!
right now I have km as one frame .
hope someone can explain?

What's the difference. in tileing them horizontal opposed to vertical?
this has got to be the weardest tag I have ever tried to make.

when I compile this tif image it just seems to me like tool is making the frame in some random order.

I cant get them in the order I want.
Also what dose sprite spaceing do exactly.

Edit: I have new numbers in game! =) Can anyone tell me how I Can test out the m and the km? to see if they are working right? also having a rely hard time scaling these numbers down.

I need to know where to select a new grenade HUD interface?

Edited by jackrabbit on May 4, 2013 at 05:53 AM

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: May 4, 2013 08:37 PM    Msg. 22 of 32       
You set them up like this:

I need to know where to select a new grenade HUD interface?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/jackrabbitlight/newnum_zps5df9b13d.jpg~original

Edited by jackrabbit on May 4, 2013 at 05:53 AM

You can change the grenade hud in the globals tag.

I also recommend removing unnecessary information from the hud.

Edited by Sceny on May 4, 2013 at 08:37 PM

Jesse

Posted: May 5, 2013 01:24 AM    Msg. 23 of 32       
wat sceny sed

jackrabbit

Posted: May 5, 2013 02:06 AM    Msg. 24 of 32       
Yeah my radar has been done I just forgot to post a picture of it.
I'm working on trying to scale everything down and fix up the grenade interface for more of a halo 4 type feel. gona add the pulse grenade this time I used Odst as base. sence it seemed to me like it had more of the curve I was looking for.
As for the lettering your talking about removing that will be slightly faded when I blur the HUD. just like in halo 4's HUD I just don't have it blured now because I'm working on it.
the MP version will be much more simpleistic..
Edited by jackrabbit on May 5, 2013 at 02:16 AM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: May 6, 2013 06:54 PM    Msg. 25 of 32       
apply a gaussian blur to all the little insignificant blue lines and make them really transparent so that they are most visible in the dark to give a depth-of-field feel(and to get them out of the way)

MissingSpartan7

I abandoned this forum a long time ago...

Posted: May 6, 2013 09:17 PM    Msg. 26 of 32       
I have watched in silence from the shadows for a while now, but perhaps it is now time for me to make a return...
Honestly, I'm rather ambivalent about this. On one hand, it's interesting to see it in-game. On the other, I am somewhat infuriated that no-one even bothered to ask me if it was ok to use this.
Yes. It's mine. http://missingspartan7.deviantart.com/art/Halo-4-HUD-In-depth-study-II-332280124

It does annoy me to a great degree, that credit was claimed for work by people who have had no involvement in the original creation whatsoever. And all the work by jackrabbit in 'creating' the shield meter? Probably didn't happen - it's likely cut straight out of one of my other H4 HUD iterations. The only difference I can see is he's upped the contrast a bit.

Quote: --- Original message by: Sceny
Its best to actually use your own designs when showcasing something. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you should at least include the source of the original bitmap.
Source

Thank you, for at least trying.

That^ Was all ready posted in the fourm I didn't see any point in reposting it and I alredy shared my inter helmet part in General Discussion. I'm not show showcasing anything The HUD is WIP

That is literally one of the worst excuses I've ever heard.

Quote: I got the image from bing and made the sheld meter from scratch.

One thing you should have been taught in your education, however basic, is that if you find something on the internet that you want to use/reference - if possible, permission should be obtained from the original author if copyright applies, or at very least - including a link to where you found it. Just because something has been posted previously, in another thread, does not forgo the need to credit, or link to, your source.

Quote: my hud

You keep using that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Quote: As for the lettering your talking about removing that will be slightly faded when I blur the HUD. just like in halo 4's HUD I just don't have it blured now because I'm working on it.

"Working" on it...
Sounds a bit dubious. Almost like you were going to try and use my v3 HUD. Maybe even my Multiplayer version as well.

So, as per this, you are now being asked to cease all work on this relating to my HUD.

--------
And hello to anyone who remembers me. It's been a while.
@Jesse - perhaps we should have a HUD discussion sometime.
Edited by MissingSpartan7 on May 6, 2013 at 09:19 PM

Jesse

Posted: May 6, 2013 09:41 PM    Msg. 27 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: MissingSpartan7
And hello to anyone who remembers me. It's been a while.
@Jesse - perhaps we should have a HUD discussion sometime.

Perhaps.

Xfire: azjesse

XlzQwerty1

Posted: May 6, 2013 10:04 PM    Msg. 28 of 32       
Quote: I really hate to brag, but I'm probably the best HUD artist on the internet that doesn't work for a game studio. And that might be part of the problem - I don't have any competition from other artists. Which leads to me being the best/preferred location for all those people who want to use them.

Too much for me man. Too much for me to take in.

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: May 7, 2013 02:21 PM    Msg. 29 of 32       
I'm interested to see if Jackrabbit continues.

Jesse

Posted: May 19, 2013 03:04 AM    Msg. 30 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
Quote: I really hate to brag, but I'm probably the best HUD artist on the internet that doesn't work for a game studio. And that might be part of the problem - I don't have any competition from other artists. Which leads to me being the best/preferred location for all those people who want to use them.

Who said that? :o

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: May 19, 2013 11:41 AM    Msg. 31 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1

Who said that? :o

Its on his DA page-thing: http://missingspartan7.deviantart.com/art/Notes-on-HUDs-346174371
Edited by Sceny on May 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Jesse

Posted: May 20, 2013 04:57 AM    Msg. 32 of 32       
lol you're using my old grenades.

Edited by Jesse on May 20, 2013 at 04:58 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 18, 2019 2:04 AM 563 ms.
A Halo Maps Website