A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »map_name command not working

Author Topic: map_name command not working (15 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: May 21, 2013 06:00 AM    Msg. 1 of 15       
At school in my IT class, when I have nothing/not much to do I'll play Counter strike, however, it's gotten awfully boring, and so far I've successfully installed CE on the computer I use with the CD key from my retail copy of Halo PC, it can actually run quite well, but I've got an issue that seems quite self explanatory in the subject title, but I'll elaborate.

Multiplayer maps work fine, I can go into the console and punch in map_name bloodgulch and it'll load up Blood Gulch, however, if I try map_name a10 or b40 or any single player maps that I placed in the maps directory, nothing happens. No loading screen, no "command not found" message, absolutely nothing. If it matters, the campaign maps that I have are the H3-style ones by Zigadirasu. This also affects other custom single player maps within the maps folder too, any ideas on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Bottletopman

Posted: May 21, 2013 06:38 AM    Msg. 2 of 15       
Ahh, windows XP, service pack 2, it should be. How the hell does Halo read from the appdata directory, and not the actual maps folder itself?

EDIT: Also, that first reply was pretty damn quick!
Edited by Bottletopman on May 21, 2013 at 06:49 AM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 21, 2013 07:48 AM    Msg. 3 of 15       
Enable devmode?

GLaDOS

Testing you.

Posted: May 21, 2013 09:54 AM    Msg. 4 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Enable devmode?

derp

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: May 21, 2013 11:31 AM    Msg. 5 of 15       
Try deleting init.txt from the Halo directory. IRC it can interfere with some console commands.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: May 21, 2013 11:57 AM    Msg. 6 of 15       
Also try using quotes. Usually this is only for maps with spaces in their name, but give it a shot I guess.

Try:

Map_name "a10"

Btcc22

Posted: May 21, 2013 12:28 PM    Msg. 7 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bottletopman
How the hell does Halo read from the appdata directory, and not the actual maps folder itself?

If a program that doesn't have admin rights attempts to write into 'Program Files', Windows will instead silently redirect it to another folder within AppData (Local\VirtualStore). The same thing goes for reading - when Halo tries to load a map, Windows will check the VirtualStore folder to see if it exists there before checking the real /maps folder.

It's a backwards compatibility hack to ensure that old (or badly behaved) programs that expect write access to Program Files don't suddenly break on newer versions of Windows.

For Halo, it's worth keeping in mind given that:
* OpenSauce downloaded maps are saved here.
* If you try to modify maps using HMT/Eschaton, the modified files will end up here.
* Screenshots saved with the -screenshot flag are saved here.

Running the game/editing tools as admin will solve the above but I doubt most players do.
Edited by Btcc22 on May 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Bottletopman

Posted: May 21, 2013 07:22 PM    Msg. 8 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Enable devmode?

wut

@Jesse
I don't think quotes affect the command - I've successfully used the map_name command on my home comp, managed to load custom maps with it.

@Btc22
Hmm...that's very interesting, I might try it, although are there any places on the local disk which don't require admin rights? Our school allocates a certain amount of space on network drives where our account information is stored (i.e. schoolwork), and the space is around 150 MB per account lol, Halo CE with the maps I put in amounts to around 3 GB.

EDIT: Also, please don't say My Documents or some obvious folder like that - it doesn't save to the My Documents folder on the hard drive, it saves it to the account that's logged on. HOWEVER, if you can tell me a way to save on the local (i.e. actual computer itself) My Documents folder, then thank you very much and you've spruced up my IT lessons!

@Honorguard
I don't think I'll be holding a LAN party any time soon in my IT class haha, but I'll take a look into that.

Thanks heaps for the help guys!
Edited by Bottletopman on May 21, 2013 at 07:29 PM

Btcc22

Posted: May 21, 2013 07:46 PM    Msg. 9 of 15       
It'd probably be easiest for you to just run the game from a USB stick and use HAC 2 to get around the loading time problem.

Bottletopman

Posted: May 21, 2013 07:58 PM    Msg. 10 of 15       
I don't have a loading time problem though...it's just that single player maps don't load at all, only multiplayer maps work. Loading times aren't an issue for these old-school computers

Btcc22

Posted: May 21, 2013 08:07 PM    Msg. 11 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bottletopman
I don't have a loading time problem though...it's just that single player maps don't load at all, only multiplayer maps work. Loading times aren't an issue for these old-school computers

I was talking about the lengthy amount of time it'd probably take to start CE from a USB stick if you have 3GB of maps in there.

Noobyourmom

Posted: May 21, 2013 08:19 PM    Msg. 12 of 15       
I've never encountered that before, but you can use a better menu with campaign support. MoooseGuy made a really good one recently:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6617

Bottletopman

Posted: May 21, 2013 10:06 PM    Msg. 13 of 15       
Nah Btcc22, I'm installing CE directly onto the computers, into the local hard drive heheh, the teacher doesn't seem to mind, but thanks for trying to help though.

game user10

Who is the Overseer?

Posted: May 21, 2013 11:48 PM    Msg. 14 of 15       
You could also check "Full Control" for Users in the properties of the HCE Directory Folder.
Properties > Security > Edit

Then you won't have to run admin all the time.

Bottletopman

Posted: May 22, 2013 06:57 AM    Msg. 15 of 15       
Oooh, thanks for the info game user10, will try when I have my lessons again!

Results in Friday (Aus EST, you yankees should get a response on thursday )

OH MY GOD IT TOTALLY did not work. Enabled full permissions on the Halo Custom Edition folder, started up game and did map_name a10, still nothing.

Ran as user with admin rights, still nothing. Dear oh dear, where is the repository for the maps in the appdata folder or whatever for xp? What is the directory? Thanks in advance
Edited by Bottletopman on May 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 16, 2019 1:01 AM 860 ms.
A Halo Maps Website