A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical »new maps for halo 2?

Author Topic: new maps for halo 2? (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: May 27, 2013 06:16 PM    Msg. 1 of 17       
what ever happened to new custom maps for halo 2? is anyone ever gonna make one again?

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: May 27, 2013 07:32 PM    Msg. 2 of 17       
You can find all the latest maps directly from the map makers here: H2MT H2PC Map Repository

My team H2MT used to upload to this site but the owner refuses to follow his own rules nor respect the wishes of the creators. I gave him our FTP address (at the time) and asked him very specifically not to upload the maps in the folder marked BETA. Of course he did and then he talked down to me calling me a kid, I'm 31 BTW. As if me being younger has any relevance with him not respecting his own upload rules. He threatened to ban me from the forums if I persisted. He makes money off of advertising, advertising that benefits from everyone's maps, the least he could do is respect the creators wishes and not post betas that should not be here. Talk about immature.

So we setup our own site where only the latest and best maps are available.

rcghalohell

Posted: May 28, 2013 01:38 AM    Msg. 3 of 17       
how do you download this stuff? it doesn't seem to let me
Edited by rcghalohell on May 28, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Edited by rcghalohell on May 28, 2013 at 01:58 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: May 28, 2013 02:59 AM    Msg. 4 of 17       
You just click download, a few of the larger links use Microsoft SkyDrive, but most of the links are normal links. Just click download then click save file. Just tested the links using Firefox 21 and Internet Explorer 10, works fine.

rcghalohell

Posted: May 28, 2013 11:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 17       
some show as not safe to download, and others, I have no clue how to add them

Kills_Alone

Posted: May 29, 2013 07:00 PM    Msg. 6 of 17       
Just because a file is compressed as a .exe some browsers will say that the file is not safe. They are in .exe (executable format) because I use 7-Zip to compress files and make them self extracting; it is one of the best archives programs out there. This makes it easier to share the maps.

I packaged and made most of the maps so I know they are safe. If I packaged them as .zip they would probably appear as safe but they would take up more space to store, thus more time to download.

rcghalohell

Posted: May 30, 2013 11:06 PM    Msg. 7 of 17       
alright ive tried adding but I didn't see them show up in the list, is there a certain location to put them?

Kills_Alone

Posted: May 30, 2013 11:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 17       
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Halo 2\Maps

Make sure Halo is not running when you add them. If you add H2.5 maps you will need to install the H2MT Halo 2.5 Game+ Pack.

rcghalohell

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 12:49 PM    Msg. 9 of 17       
said the homo whos a poor virgin and has a hideous hump on his back

GLaDOS

Testing you.

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 03:53 PM    Msg. 10 of 17       
Funny fact.
You don't need to pay anything to play Halo 2 Multiplayer...

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIOS in their name.

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 04:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 17       
If I wanted to make a halo2 map, would I make it exactly like a haloce map and just use the ass exporter? Or would I have to relearn on h2ek documentation?

Twinreaper

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 06:52 PM    Msg. 12 of 17       
You would have to learn a whole new set of design implementations. Halo CE as you know, follows what is commonly referred to as "Sealed World". Meaning that everything you design for the level inside of 3dsmax is one single mesh object.

In Halo 2, the engine instead uses what is called "instanced" geometry. meaning that you again create the level as you did for Halo CE, but instead of making everything one single unit, you can have several (up to and over 100) individual objects placed and linked to the main mesh.

I'm not sure if I can make you understand it all at this moment...I've had a few drinks....
So let's say you create a football stadium and you name the object "Stadium". Then you realize you forgot to make a few additional items to make it really look like a stadium. Instead of creating the new geometry and stitching it to the main level, you name the added geometry with "%" then the name, then you "link" it to the main mesh. The % sign means that the object linked to the main mesh is physical and can receive collision.

There are numerous prefixes you can use to get a variety of results. the reason it was done this way for Halo 2, was so that you could create different effects for the level itself without having to create them in guerilla.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 06:59 PM    Msg. 13 of 17       
It is pretty similar to mapping in HCE. The materials inside of the 3DS Max file must point to existing shader files from the H2EK.

I always suggest doing the first compile with lowest lighting, then redo it with no lighting. This way the lighting is not enabled but is ready when you are going to light the BSP on highest quality (which can take hours to days depending on the size of the BSP).

My team (H2MT) has a source file collection called [DATA+TAGS] The Essential Collection that fills in many missing files and adds new BSPs, custom weapons, textures, etc (around 20 thousand files) which makes it easier for new users to jump in. I believe I'm getting pretty close to updating it again soon with more scenarios, updates, and additional weapons. I would suggest you start there.

Spartan Tom

Just ban me and I will be happy.

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 08:10 PM    Msg. 14 of 17       
Umm, Kills Alone, I seem to have some problems registering At the H2PC.org Forum. It says that my IP is blacklisted. (I received my new Internet router 3 weeks ago. My new router IP Is different than my old router IP )

*Sorry for being off topic*

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 02:31 AM    Msg. 15 of 17       
I let an admin know.

Spartan Tom

Just ban me and I will be happy.

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 04:43 AM    Msg. 16 of 17       
Okay, Now I have a New Problem.

http://imgur.com/ZB3MxKf

I have never heard of this error before. I installed the Halo 2.5 Game+ Pack that you posted and restarted my PC (Had to restart because, my PC is very slow.) Once I have finally re-booted my PC and Launch Halo 2, The error appears out of nowhere.

Here is another picture that I have a cleaned installed copy of Halo 2.

http://imgur.com/O8fM0JD

Any solutions to fix this? I really want to come back to Halo 2 and play online.
Edited by Spartan Tom on Jun 16, 2013 at 04:45 AM

EDIT: Problem Solved. I accidentally Run the Game in compatibility mode.
Edited by Spartan Tom on Jun 16, 2013 at 05:02 AM

rcghalohell

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 12:19 AM    Msg. 17 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: T12V134NN1N6M3
ARENVIR OUNVIR UPIDVIR? IFVIR ITVIR ISVIR HENVIR ASENVIR, OUNVIR ARENVIR HENVIR ORSTVIR ASSVIR HOLENVIR!

you take it up there....

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat July 22, 2017 4:50 PM 469 ms.
A Halo Maps Website