A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Where are the active servers running custom maps?

Author Topic: Where are the active servers running custom maps? (19 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Mooseknuckle

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 02:52 AM    Msg. 1 of 19       
After seeing a video on Reddit today demonstrating Open Sauce's capabilities, I decided to give Halo Custom Edition another shot after not touching it in a few years. I get updated, install Open Sauce and HAC, only to find that despite there being 1000+ players on at all times, most of the servers exclusively run stock maps, and the few servers I could find with custom maps were either empty, had 1-2 players, or a combination of both, with a ping of 300-400.

Am I doing something wrong, or do people just make shiny maps and add new features to the game for fun, knowing that they're barely going to get played?

Also, WHERE ARE THE SNOW GROVE ZOMBIE SERVERS?!

Xtralaos

"I AM THE GREATEST!"

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 03:07 AM    Msg. 2 of 19       
Ok, but we have the ingame download. It's not a big deal.

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 04:02 AM    Msg. 3 of 19       
I don't see how hard it is to just put a "file recommendations" in the "Halo Custom Edition Game" download page...

Xtralaos

"I AM THE GREATEST!"

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 05:02 AM    Msg. 4 of 19       
I was talking mainly about the OS 3.1 in game download, but this is a good example too. There should be more servers with custom maps as these 2 programs allows us to download them when we want to connect.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 07:51 AM    Msg. 5 of 19       
Well I have a 24/7 server which usually runs erasus or my other maps but its pretty much always empty. People only join if there already are at least 2 people playing on the map. If I put a default map such as Blood Gulch then it quiclky gets filled with 16 mexicans.
Edited by altis94 on Jun 8, 2013 at 07:52 AM

game user10

Who is the Overseer?

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 09:03 AM    Msg. 6 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mooseknuckle
WHERE ARE THE SNOW GROVE ZOMBIE SERVERS?!

If you can help me figure out where the battle rifle is located in the map (tag-wise), my clan can put it up again.

baconatorCE

I'm a curse and I'm a sound

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 02:35 PM    Msg. 7 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

Well I have a 24/7 server which usually runs erasus or my other maps but its pretty much always empty. People only join if there already are at least 2 people playing on the map. If I put a default map such as Blood Gulch then it quiclky gets filled with 16 mexicans.
Edited by altis94 on Jun 8, 2013 at 07:52 AM

I'm not racist, but the Hispanic Halo players are obnoxious. They join English-speaking servers and can't speak English. They make terrible maps, and they don't even try to improve the community.

Btcc22

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 03:08 PM    Msg. 8 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
then stuff a classic tagset in it out of stubbornness and bam, unplayed map

You reckon they do it because they're stubborn or because they don't want to try reinvent the game and understand that people enjoying the game with the stock weapons?

Maps that go down the custom weapons route are invariably stuffed with low quality tags and tend to be disgustingly unbalanced because the people testing and creating those maps don't have the skill to balance correctly.

We already have enough large maps filled with terrible custom vehicles and weapons to sate the average player that probably won't have an interest in the game beyond a few weeks.

OrangeJuice

Posted: Jun 8, 2013 07:01 PM    Msg. 9 of 19       
Say that about pipedream :)

OrangeJuice

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 03:00 AM    Msg. 10 of 19       
yoyorast island, bc's spooky hollow, deltaruins, and immure

and I don't make terrible [s]maps[/s]mods.. oh wait lol I'm not mexican
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jun 9, 2013 at 03:15 AM

Btcc22

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 09:51 AM    Msg. 11 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22
understand that people enjoying the game with the stock weapons...

Tell me how many maps with classic tagsets are run 24/7, excluding stock ones.

I'll be waiting.

I'm not sure what running 24/7 proves. As for Immure, the only non-classic tag it uses is the Wasp which as it so happens is an unbalanced vehicle.
Edited by Btcc22 on Jun 9, 2013 at 09:55 AM

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 12:22 PM    Msg. 12 of 19       
Yoyorast and Immure use custom vehicles. According to BTC, that means they suck, so can't be put on the list.

I haven't seen a deltaruins server in a while. Same with spooky hollow.

Well then again, he does have a point. Custom weapons in multiplayer are usually terribly unbalanced, as the map maker usually does not compensate for Halo's bullet lag. This is why it is so frustratingly difficult to get a kill with a CE battle rifle or DMR when weighed against a stock Halo 1 pistol. Also the flying UNSC vehicle in Immure is so over powered and stands as the ONLY reason why I don't play that map.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 01:17 PM    Msg. 13 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22
then stuff a classic tagset in it out of stubbornness and bam, unplayed map

You reckon they do it because they're stubborn or because they don't want to try reinvent the game and understand that people enjoying the game with the stock weapons?

Maps that go down the custom weapons route are invariably stuffed with low quality tags and tend to be disgustingly unbalanced because the people testing and creating those maps don't have the skill to balance correctly.

We already have enough large maps filled with terrible custom vehicles and weapons to sate the average player that probably won't have an interest in the game beyond a few weeks.

^agreed.

I really don't think custom/classic tags have anything to do with custom map popularity. Back when CE was in its heyday, all sorts of maps would get action, not just ones with custom tags.

The problem is distribution and public exposure. The reasons why no one is playing custom maps is a mix of laziness, ignorance and frankly the fact that there is zero momentum in the frequency that maps are being put out. Meaning that new, quality releases are few and far between and it's hard for our content to gain traction. CE3 is a step in the right direction.

Here's an idea: what if people currently working on projects collaborated and released their maps on the same day? This would allow server owners to have a rotation with recent "hot" releases instead of one release, over and over again. I mean, I like Foundry, but I'm not ready to spend 3 hours/days/weeks straight on it (or any other single map for that matter).
Edited by stunt_man on Jun 9, 2013 at 01:29 PM

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 08:09 PM    Msg. 14 of 19       

My point here is, what do all these maps with stock tagsets and default everything offer to the prospective player? Other than a new BSP, there's absolutely no reason to play/host them instead of, say, Blood Gulch, which everyone has from the getgo and thus is a safer bet to put on a dedicated server.

So with your logic... You're saying that yoyorast is successful because of the mongoose right? And new Mombasa was successful because of the H2 weapons. Please.

OrangeJuice

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 08:47 PM    Msg. 15 of 19       
Besides cityscape, house2, and coldsnap. Yoyorast is still up there on the list of long-lifespan maps that still has servers hosting it to this day 24/7

Btcc22

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 09:27 PM    Msg. 16 of 19       
The vehicle is indubitably unbalanced, and that's what makes it fun.

Perhaps to the person that controls it but not to the other 14 players that have to suffer. I can't say I enjoyed using it anyway. The aiming is horribly inaccurate, turning is clunky, it's too fast to be easily downed by anybody on foot or to allow for a dog fight that doesn't take an age to come to a conclusion. Even ignoring those issues, you can't expect aerial combat to be fun on a map that hasn't been designed around it.

My point here is, what do all these maps with stock tagsets and default everything offer to the prospective player? Other than a new BSP, there's absolutely no reason to play/host them instead of, say, Blood Gulch, which everyone has from the getgo and thus is a safer bet to put on a dedicated server.

You're underestimating the value of new maps that use stock tags. You have to understand that the entire reason why many of the longer term players keep coming back is because the enjoy Halo. Changing the mechanics, rebalancing the weapons or replacing them entirely is changing the formula. Sure, it's a map for Halo but it isn't Halo, it's just a mod that happens to be running on the engine.

The only reason maps maps with custom weapons and vehicles are as popular as they are is because of the demographic shift we've seen over the past few years. Before the shift, HPC was the mainstay while CE and all of its custom maps languished. The playerbase didn't want to play mods, they wanted to play Halo.

But, as a sidenote, think of what you're saying here - anything user created outside of the level geometry itself make a map 'disgustingly unbalanced' and 'low quality'?

That's not what I said but yes, the vast majority of custom maps are of low quality and of those that contain custom/tweaked weapons and vehicles, most of them are unbalanced.

If I were to make a map, I'd rather see it be played in scrims and game nights where the dedicated, core players reside rather than having it on 24/7 servers that are only frequented by pirates with zero clue about balance or basic game control. That class of players do not make good judges of fun or quality and popularity amongst them is not something I'd strive for. Would Halo have been so well received if had been designed to cater to their tastes? I doubt it.
Edited by Btcc22 on Jun 9, 2013 at 09:38 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 10:34 PM    Msg. 17 of 19       
Most players carry on with ground fighting and try to snipe enemy pilots whenever possible, which isn't hard btw with halo's ridiculously unbalanced pistol.

Unless the pilot is grapling with the controls and making conversation with walls, I can't manage it. If I can't manage it, there's very little hope for the players that you'll usually find on these maps. Having said that, most of them won't be able to do that much damage to players on the ground either.

Perhaps some players enjoy clunky vehicles that can't target properly but they're likely in the minority. Even without those issues, I feel that aerial combat doesn't work in Halo in general.

The pistol isn't unbalanced. Powerful? Yes. Easy enough to use that even the very best players can score three shot kills with consistency? No. The combination of power and the skill requirement needed to harness it makes it a skill weapon. An unbalanced weapon would be a pistol that could fire hitscan rockets.

I think you're completely missing the point. If people wanted to play Halo, they'd play Halo PC, not Custom Edition. The only difference between the two is that the one which this forum is centered around has the capability of easily creating content without using hacky methods. To exclusively play on maps using only default assets means you're just wasting upwards of two gigabytes of space on your HDD.

But, using your train of thought here, if there's been a 'demographic switch' between just plain Halo and CE with all its custom maps, does that mean you are not saying that the community wants what you call mods, and in essence agreeing with what I'm saying here?

Firstly, you're making the flawed assumption that most HCE players made an informed decision to install HCE over HPC. They didn't, they took the path of least resistance and that just so happens to be pirating HCE. There's always been some level of misunderstanding that HCE is 'free', it's provided as a single file installer rather than some ISO, it's far smaller by default given that it doesn't have the campaign and it has the added benefit that it can play custom maps if you so desire. It makes sense that HCE has wound up being more heavily pirated.

Not that many would be concerned with the few hundred extra MB that it takes to have HCE installed alongside HPC, there's not much reason to pick HPC over HCE when the only downside is that you can't play the campaign by default. Choosing HCE over HPC doesn't somehow mean the player has decided they don't want to play Halo, as you imply.

does that mean you are not saying that the community wants what you call mods, and in essence agreeing with what I'm saying here?

No, absolutely not. I don't see how the two statements are mutually exclusive. The community wants mods, therefore there's no reason for more than one map with stock weapons to exist?

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 10:43 PM    Msg. 18 of 19       
halo's ridiculously unbalanced pistol.

it's easy to mow down a pistol player with the good ol' MA5B.
it's easy to snipe a pistol player from far away.
it's easy to 1hitKO a pistol player with a rocket.
they aiming at your head? needles. 7 of 'em. gg
not unbalanced, just noticeably powerful.
Edited by master noob on Jun 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Btcc22

Posted: Jun 9, 2013 11:10 PM    Msg. 19 of 19       
BTC, I had a nice response, but I'm unwilling to retype it all when it's just going to be eaten up by one of these stupid forum errors. Peace out.

Copy and paste is your saviour. ;)

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed August 12, 2020 2:12 AM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website