A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Texturing Stuff [Shameless begging for help]

Author Topic: Texturing Stuff [Shameless begging for help] (32 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Rosanna Weyland

Up and down, and all around.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:50 AM    Msg. 1 of 32       
Alright, I'll openly admit that I'm new to all of this stuff. I have not the slightest clue as to what I'm doing, and I'm just farting around trying to get what I want to do -done-.

It's probably some stupid, silly, simple thing to figure out, but I want to figure out how to apply custom colours to things like the Multiplayer models (primary colours, secondary colours and such, to recreate multiplayer colour schemes). I have a working knowledge of Blender, but I could probably follow a reasonably-well-written tutorial for doing this in 3DS Max or something as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Invader Veex

i make poast

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 09:36 AM    Msg. 2 of 32       
It doesn't require the use of any modelling program. It will involve using Guerrilla and an image editing program such as photoshop. (but if you want to the the progress as you're doing it, I guess you could import the model into one of those modelling programs) If you just want sections to have the same texture, but just a color over it, the alpha channel of the multipurpose image should be white in the areas you want the color changed, or grey, depending on how much of the color you want to show up. Black will show nothing. Then compile the bitmap, and make sure you're using it in your shaders. Then there is the matter of tagging it. You'll have to open the root tag (in the example it's cmt's brute plasma rifle .weapon tag) and your shader tag. In the shader you'll want to change color source to one of the letters, and in the .weapon tag add the same letter at change colors, make the boxes white, and add a permutation. Give the permutation a weight of one, and m,ake the next two boxes the color you would like. Save, compile, test, see if you like or not,l adjust accordingly.

It's actually pretty easy.

Or you could just open up the textures in photoshop and slap some color at 50% opacity on and save, that works too.
Edited by Invader Veex on Jun 12, 2013 at 09:39 AM

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 05:23 PM    Msg. 3 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Invader Veex
-snip-
Edited by Invader Veex on Jun 12, 2013 at 09:39 AM

You misunderstand.

I don't want to learn these tools for modding purposes within Halo: CE. I'm after porting these models elsewhere - tagging is utterly useless to me as I won't be exporting these models back into the Halo: CE engine.

And, as I said, I'm primarily after colouring up the multiplayer armours (say, the Scout set from Halo 3) to personalise them (say, white primary colour, red secondary colour, and a purple arm band). Weapons don't mean an awful lot to me currently - pretty much all I need is 'right, how do I make this bit one colour and this bit another?'.

I'll give what you suggested a try - but I'd appreciate alternative solutions if any are available.
Edited by Rosanna Weyland on Jun 12, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Edited by Rosanna Weyland on Jun 12, 2013 at 05:41 PM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 05:51 PM    Msg. 4 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Rosanna Weyland
I don't want to learn these tools for modding purposes within Halo: CE. I'm after porting these models elsewhere - tagging is utterly useless to me as I won't be exporting these models back into the Halo: CE engine.

Go find a different forum then, this is a Halo Custom Edition forum.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:05 PM    Msg. 5 of 32       
In max, use a composite material, there is a colour correct section for each part of the composite material, add the cc map (mask) there and select the colour you want.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:11 PM    Msg. 6 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422Go find a different forum then, this is a Halo Custom Edition forum.

Well, aren't you just a delightful ray of glowing, friendly and benevolent sunshine?

I may, one day, decide to work on stuff within Halo: CE, who knows? I'm not going to be able to do anything if I don't know how the processes work, and if everyone's attitude were as stuffy as yours nobody would learn anything.

I'm willing to wager you're one of those gnarled veterans who's forgotten what it was like, back in the day when you were getting your hands into this stuff, mmh? Bet you don't remember how frustrating it is, or how many hours you put into learning things so you could do stuff?

Yeah, no. We all start somewhere, we all had to learn at some point. If you don't want to help people or have nothing helpful to offer, then keep your thoughts to yourself. Your attitude is not cultivating a helpful environment for anybody.

EDIT

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
In max, use a composite material, there is a colour correct section for each part of the composite material, add the cc map (mask) there and select the colour you want.

Thank you. If I could bother you further, how would I go about this, exactly? As I said, I've only a very basic working knowledge of 3DS Max, my modelling program of preference tends to be Blender.
Edited by Rosanna Weyland on Jun 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:18 PM    Msg. 7 of 32       
I am on my phone right now and I would have a hard time explaining it.
I released some mc model a bit ago, the materials are set up on it, you could try looking at that model or wait till I get home in a couple hrs. Add maniac1000 to xfire if you want.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:23 PM    Msg. 8 of 32       
I am on my phone right now and I would have a hard time explaining it.
I released some mc model a bit ago, the materials are set up on it, you could try looking at that model or wait till I get home in a couple hrs. Add maniac1000 to xfire if you want.

I'll most likely be in bed at that point (it's nearing midnight for me) - but, I'll certainly do so when I have the chance. I have other IM clients if that might help.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:24 PM    Msg. 9 of 32       
Ill try to make a video for ya then.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:26 PM    Msg. 10 of 32       

Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422Go find a different forum then, this is a Halo Custom Edition forum.

Well, aren't you just a delightful ray of glowing, friendly and benevolent sunshine?

I may, one day, decide to work on stuff within Halo: CE, who knows? I'm not going to be able to do anything if I don't know how the processes work, and if everyone's attitude were as stuffy as yours nobody would learn anything.

I'm willing to wager you're one of those gnarled veterans who's forgotten what it was like, back in the day when you were getting your hands into this stuff, mmh? Bet you don't remember how frustrating it is, or how many hours you put into learning things so you could do stuff?

Yeah, no. We all start somewhere, we all had to learn at some point. If you don't want to help people or have nothing helpful to offer, then keep your thoughts to yourself. Your attitude is not cultivating a helpful environment for anybody.

EDIT

Thank you. If I could bother you further, how would I go about this, exactly? As I said, I've only a very basic working knowledge of 3DS Max, my modelling program of preference tends to be Blender.
Edited by Rosanna Weyland on Jun 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM

Sorry, basically most of us here figured this all out by working with the tools ourselves, no questions were asked towards anyone but ourselves.
Right now, you feel like one of those people who want to get spoonfed and not even bothering to search this up on google. I've had the same question as you before, in regards to colour change maps; maniac was also the one who gave me an answer, and I googled the rest, figured it all out after that.

While it's great that people do lend assistance, it sometimes bugs me when people don't at least try to bother with it themselves. Why not look up a tutorial sometimes?
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Jun 12, 2013 at 06:30 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 32       

I chuckled at this, Kirby helps most people here without a seconds hesitation, unlike you he doesn't lash out each time someone points out the stupidity and selfishness of his statements. This is HALO CE DISCUSSION, you just said your questions has nothing to do with CE or a CE project. So why are you getting your panties in a bunch for a subject which you admit has nothing to do with this forum?
Edited by Masters1337 on Jun 12, 2013 at 06:33 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:33 PM    Msg. 12 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1st of us here figured this all out by working with the tools ourselves, no questions were asked towards anyone but ourselves.
Right now, you feel like one of those people who want to get spoonfed and not even bothering to search this up on google. I've had the same question as you before, in regards to colour change maps; maniac was also the one who gave me an answer

While it's great that people do lend assistance, it sometimes bugs me when people don't at least try to bother with it themselves. Why not look up a tutorial sometimes?

and yet you openly admit that you too had to be given an answer. hypocritical .

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:37 PM    Msg. 13 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
Sorry, basically most of us here figured this all out by working with the tools ourselves, no questions were asked towards anyone but ourselves.
Right now, you feel like one of those people who want to get spoonfed and not even bothering to search this up on google. I've had the same question as you before, in regards to colour change maps; maniac was also the one who gave me an answer, and I googled the rest, figured it all out after that.

Funny. I must have forgotten the several months of messing around with Blender and 3DS Max to get the desired results before finally bowing down and asking. The hundreds of Youtube videos and tutorials I watched trying to figure this out must have been a figment of my imagination.

I wouldn't be asking these questions if I hadn't already exhausted every other avenue of research available to me short of paying for long, exhaustive tutorial courses. I am not the kind of person that enjoys having to walk up to somebody and ask them how to do something - I would vastly prefer researching the issue and finding out myself. I'm not going to further my knowledge by sitting around and waiting for the things I need to just fall into my lap - but, likewise, sometimes you just have to stop and say 'excuse me, but could I just ask how you do so-and-so?'.

When I've hit a dead end, I will ask for advice on how to get past the obstacle. Brute-forcing myself for hours at a time will only serve to frustrate me and and my desire to continue with the project - nobody likes getting stonewalled by something they're working on. And by your own admission, even you've had to turn to somebody for help, so don't you dare preach to me as though wanting some assistance is a cardinal sin.

I'd like to remind you that I've self-taught myself most of what I know of Blender, and I'm beginning to do the same with 3DS Max, given that it's the go-to tool for animating. But, again, sometimes you have to swallow your pride and ask somebody. As I said, you seem to have forgotten what it's like to have to do that, and again: either render some assistance, or please don't say anything. You have nothing to benefit this discussion otherwise.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 06:55 PM    Msg. 14 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1st of us here figured this all out by working with the tools ourselves, no questions were asked towards anyone but ourselves.
Right now, you feel like one of those people who want to get spoonfed and not even bothering to search this up on google. I've had the same question as you before, in regards to colour change maps; maniac was also the one who gave me an answer

and yet you openly admit that you too had to be given an answer. hypocritical .

As if searching through google is not equal to being given answers to questions.
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Jun 12, 2013 at 06:56 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:04 PM    Msg. 15 of 32       
As if searching through google is not equal to being given answers to questions.

shameful backpedaling.
Right now, you feel like one of those people who want to get spoonfed and not even bothering to search this up on google.
I've had the same question as you before, in regards to colour change maps; maniac was also the one who gave me an answer

you openly admit to asking and subsequently getting an answer instead of using google initially, while criticizing weyland for doing the same. not trying to be hostile, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:10 PM    Msg. 16 of 32       
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Jun 12, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Wait, wait... first you're telling me that I shouldn't ask questions, and find the answers myself... and then you're telling me not to go researching the answers?

Should I just sit at my computer for another few hours each day, hammering my face into the screen until I have some epiphany of enlightenment, then? Will the divine inspiration for this problem's solution only come when I've smeared the monitors with my own gore?

No, you ignorant tit, you just told me to go looking up the answers myself instead of asking after admitting you asked the same question yourself. That makes you not only a hypocrite, but an idiot. Or would you prefer everybody struggle in silence and nobody ever learn anything?

GLaDOS

Testing you.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:16 PM    Msg. 17 of 32       
Here you can only talk about Halo CE.. More specifically about:
- selfish mappers
- trolls and fights with any reason at all
- Halo 5 E3 presentations
- Custom engines
- And a lot more of non-haloce things..

But no Halo 3 Modding..
Edited by GLaDOS on Jun 13, 2013 at 09:19 PM

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:34 PM    Msg. 18 of 32       

People often tell me that, thanks.

Except you where already told how to do it with HCE, and you already rejected it. And lawlz, are you new or something? This community is apparently made of nobodies then, since they learn quite a lot.

I remember back then. My outward expression was far hasher back then, but I was the same person as always; You actually think I'm some horrible ogre? lawlz

Actually, my attitude of sending off to a site relevant to your needs instead of you spamming a halo custom edition forum with your non-halo custom edition content, is actually cultivating an excellent environment for Halo Custom Edition. You posting and directly stating you don't want to adhere to the forums is ruining the environment.

Anyways, since you think its wrong to stay on-topic of a HALO CUSTOM EDITION site, and that your horrible if you don't answer off topic questions, then I'm interested in the prices of fast food in my town. Vernon, BC, Canada. Their websites never say anything, its a little disappointing. Please get those answers quickly, after all, its apparently so horrible if you don't, under your own rule set.

Honestly, I find it greatly entertaining that I tell you to find a site where your conversation is on-topic, and you get all rude and treat me like an orge lol.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:40 PM    Msg. 19 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
You posting and directly stating you don't want to adhere to the forums is ruining the environment.

If we're discussing forum policy and etiquette, you may want to have a look at the following topic:

You WILL NOT abuse people who make requests

And I quote:

Quote: This is not a new rule, it falls under rule number 3 where Halo Maps will not tolerate insulting, flaming or harassing of users. If someone makes a request you have two options.

1) Help them and/or discuss the request with them to clarify what they want.
2) If you donít want the help them then remain silent and do not post.

Just a reading suggestion, ma'am.
Edited by Rosanna Weyland on Jun 12, 2013 at 07:41 PM

Yoda

Do or do not, there is no try

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:43 PM    Msg. 20 of 32       
then I'm interested in the prices of fast food in my town. Vernon, BC, Canada.

I just skimmed over this whole thread and the only thing that caught my attention at all is that fact that kirby is apparently canadian... Who knew.

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:50 PM    Msg. 21 of 32       

You posting and directly stating you don't want to adhere to the forums is ruining the environment.

If we're discussing forum policy and etiquette, you may want to have a look at the following topic:

You WILL NOT abuse people who make requests

And I quote:

Quote: This is not a new rule, it falls under rule number 3 where Halo Maps will not tolerate insulting, flaming or harassing of users. If someone makes a request you have two options.

1) Help them and/or discuss the request with them to clarify what they want.
2) If you donít want the help them then remain silent and do not post.

Just a reading suggestion, ma'am.

lawlz, and I wonder whether you've read the rules yourself? oh the irony. Its also great that you accuse me of stuff, when your doing it, and then when I point out that its you doing it, you suddenly try and use it against me? This thread is great comedy. Rendering settings are completely irrelevent to Halo Custom Edition, the first post already solved your question on how to change textures in HALO CUSTOM EDITION. If you want help irrelevant to this site, then go somewhere OTHER than this site.

I also find it great that you talk about etiquette, when you've spent half this thread insulting people. Quality gem here.

Since you where unable to use my first suggestion without assistance, here
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3d+modeling+forums
Heres your tutorial on how to find sites RELEVANT to what you want.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 07:57 PM    Msg. 22 of 32       
Its also great that you accuse me of stuff, when your doing it, and then when I point out that its you doing it, you suddenly try and use it against me?

Two wrongs never made a right though, did they? Sitting about being preachy rather than just ignoring the topic and letting it die would have been a much better bet, but of course, you wanted your ego caressing a little.

You have your response. I suggest you either find something constructive to respond with, or take a walk. I wouldn't mind; I win either way.

Also it's spelled 'modelling. Double 'l'.

kirby_422

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 08:01 PM    Msg. 23 of 32       
Nope, I dont care about my ego, I actually just hate all life including myself *shrug* I still dont see how correcting your views about whats harming the forum is a negative, but if you say so, because you MUST be a moderator, after all, there is "That" which you obviously know since your so into the rules. As well as that other rule you ignored since your obviously a moderator. But sure, if you don't want help, I'll be sure to not give it to you. I don't see how you refusing help is you winning, but if you knowing that you've told people not to help you makes you win in your own world, good for you.

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 08:02 PM    Msg. 24 of 32       
Canadians may sometimes use American spelling. Modeling is just another way to spell modelling. I suddenly have the urge to tell kirby that it's you're, and not your, but spelling doesn't matter to kirby.
Edited by XlzQwerty1 on Jun 12, 2013 at 08:03 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 10:55 PM    Msg. 25 of 32       
As well as that other rule you ignored.

we post non-HCE stuff in the semi-official gallery WIP thread, sooooo

ELVEVERX

For the great journey

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 07:47 AM    Msg. 26 of 32       
Its also great that you accuse me of stuff, when your doing it, and then when I point out that its you doing it, you suddenly try and use it against me?

Two wrongs never made a right though, did they? Sitting about being preachy rather than just ignoring the topic and letting it die would have been a much better bet, but of course, you wanted your ego caressing a little.

You have your response. I suggest you either find something constructive to respond with, or take a walk. I wouldn't mind; I win either way.

Also it's spelled 'modelling. Double 'l'.

Don't come to a Forum ask for offtopic stuff then start insallting one of the most active members on the site because they are pointing this out to you

You could easily have just http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3ds+max+forum

also there is a forum that is a lot more polite and should help you with your problem

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 08:21 AM    Msg. 27 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: ELVEVERX
-snip-

Congratulations on bumping an abandoned thread by re-iterating something two people already said. Surprisingly enough, I ignored them, too.

Oh, and LMGTFY isn't the pinnacle of high wit.

ELVEVERX

For the great journey

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 09:05 AM    Msg. 28 of 32       
-snip-

Congratulations on bumping an abandoned thread by re-iterating something two people already said. Surprisingly enough, I ignored them, too.

Oh, and LMGTFY isn't the pinnacle of high wit.

I wouldn't call six days old
and that being said your still here?

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 09:25 AM    Msg. 29 of 32       
I wouldn't call six days old
and that being said your still here?

And so are you. So let's agree to disagree and call this quits, yes?

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 12:47 PM    Msg. 30 of 32       
I'm pretty sure that the team color changing is part of the multipurpose map, either the blue or the alpha channel. I can't tell because people keep saying it's broken so I don't trust it.

Are you going to yell at me too because you wanted an answer that isn't halo-specific..?

XlzQwerty1

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 01:21 PM    Msg. 31 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
I'm pretty sure that the team color changing is part of the multipurpose map, either the blue or the alpha channel. I can't tell because people keep saying it's broken so I don't trust it.

Are you going to yell at me too because you wanted an answer that isn't halo-specific..?

It's the alpha map in halo ce.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 01:37 PM    Msg. 32 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Not at all. You gave a decent answer and at least gave me some information (you said it may be broken, which would explain why I've been following tutorials with little success).

The only time I'll ever get annoyed is when somebody acts like a complete tosser and either tells me to look the answer up (as if I hadn't spent long enough researching the answers before asking here) or tells me I'm asking in the wrong place (which wouldn't be so bad if a re-direct was given pointing me to resources I can use to find the answers on my own). Unfortunately, the mentality of half the poster base here seems to be either one or the other, so you can imagine that a great deal of my posts are aimed at telling people where exactly they can get off.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat December 16, 2017 3:54 PM 1,172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website