A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Halo UI Not Loading (Intel Graphics)

Author Topic: Halo UI Not Loading (Intel Graphics) (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Somone77

-Passive Helper-      http://somone77.net

Posted: Jun 29, 2013 11:07 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem.

I recently got a different laptop which doesn't have a graphics card and instead has an Intel chipset, while this works fine for any game I have found and is quite decent at running them at good framerates (even newer games such as Borderlands 2), Halo seems to have a problem with it.

When I start Halo (PC or CE), I hear the music but the screen simply flickers what it was last showing (in halo PC it's the last bink video in the series before going to the menu, in CE it's just the splash screen logo) and I can navigate the menu with my keyboard and hear each item being selected, but I just simply can't see anything.

I read through this article: Halo CE Loads but cannot see menu, which sounded like my problem, that I should disable the graphics option to force Anti-Aliasing. After some looking, I find that it already was (or at least set to "Use Application Settings"), see image.

I have attempted running each game in safemode (via the -safemode parameter), and found the same results.

Few specific details:
Intel HD 4000 Graphics chipset at 64MB dedicated video memory, unchangeable (total available: 1.69GB)
Driver version: 9.18.10.3071 (3/19/2013)
Trying to run the original Halo game with no patches installed.

I would love if anyone has a solution or input,

Thank you!

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 01:38 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       
Anisotropic filtering != Anti-aliasing
Try looking through all of the settings one by one and look specifically for anti-aliasing (or anything mentioning it).

Also, by "no patches installed" do you mean you are running Halo CE 1.00 (ie without the latest 1.09 update), or you are running the latest version of Halo CE (1.09) but with no third-party patches (eg. OpenSauce) installed?
If it is the former, try updating to 1.09 and see if the problem persists.

Somone77

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 11:17 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Thanks for the reply,

I've looked through the settings in the Intel Graphics Control Panel and there is no setting hinting toward anti-aliasing in the slightest. The screen in the image is the 3D settings, there are no more, the only other settings are "Display" (which contains settings for monitor setup and colors), "Video" (which contains options for color correction and scaling) and "Options" (Which contains just general hotkey settings and preferences).

I've upgraded Halo and HaloCE to version 1.09 and have no change in result.
No, I'm not running any mods such as OpenSauce on this computer, this is a vanilla install of Halo and HaloCE.

I should probably include the startup warning given by Halo when I try to run it: Image.

Looking at the requirements and some of the specs of the graphics chipset, I've found that it's possible that it does not support Hardware Transform and Lighting, which is listed as a requirement for Halo. See Intel Article on the matter.

This may be my answer, being no, but if you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

EDIT: I've researched a program that is supposed to be able to emulate T&L on a graphics chipset that doesn't support it (called 3DAnalyze) and that seemed to have no effect. I'm not sure if the program didn't work or if that wasn't my problem in the first place.

Thank you.
Edited by Somone77 on Jun 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 02:24 AM    Msg. 4 of 8       
@OP: Not too sure about what to do now, maybe try these.
1. Fiddle around with the anisotropic settings (change them from application-controlled to any of the settings listed there), see if it works (I know anisotropic filtering may not be anti-aliasing, but we can try).
2. Uninstall Halo CE (and delete the folder C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents\My Games\Halo CE and the folder in Program Files containing Halo previously), run CCleaner (both the file and registry cleaner, multiple times until no trace of registry error is found) to remove all traces of Halo CE, then reinstall Halo CE.

OrangeJuice

Still here because your site isn't active either.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 03:16 AM    Msg. 5 of 8       
Maybe try the 03/21/13 version of the driver

Wavelength

Opinion doesn't affect truth.

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 01:07 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
Hey, this is actually the exact issue--down to the video driver and everything--that I have! I hope we figure out a solution for this... I'm not finding anything at all...

Somone77

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 10:40 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wavelength
Hey, this is actually the exact issue--down to the video driver and everything--that I have! I hope we figure out a solution for this... I'm not finding anything at all...

Unfortunately, your answer is, it won't work.

Sorry I never really updated this thread, but I tried for a while using different methods to emulate Hardware Transformation & Lighting, none of which are successful. The Intel 4k Chipset does not support it and Halo requires it to run. It's a hardware issue and won't be fixed with software.

While the Intel 4k Chipset runs games such as Borderlands 2 and Skyrim just fine, good ol' Halo from 1999 brings it to its knees.

Wavelength

Opinion doesn't affect truth.

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 11:56 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
I gathered as much. x3
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 PM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website