A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game)

Page 1 of 9 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Next
Author Topic: Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game) (307 messages, Page 1 of 9)
Moderators: Dennis

Contingency

Posted: Jul 13, 2013 09:45 PM    Msg. 1 of 307       
Hello HaloMaps!

As I'm sure many of you know, we recently showed off our project codenamed "Contingency" at the CE3 event, being hosted by MatthewDratt, and SlowBullet of this community. I wanted to come here and tell you a little bit more about the project, and present an opportunity to any interested individuals who are interested in helping out.

Project Contingency is a fan made halo game set in the halo universe, it is currently being developed for the PC and will be using the CryEngine 3 SDK, the same engine that powers the Crysis series, Ryse, Kaido Xtreme Racing, and many other state of the art games. Please note however this is not a mod for any of these games, its a fully fledged game.

That being said, Project: Contingency isn't simply a "Halo 3 HD in CryEngine" nor is it just another "Halo" game, we are doing things that no other halo game has ever done, we are definitely keeping the core things intact however we are doing a ton of new, exciting things.

Here are some images from our project to look over, please note that all this content is subject to change, and is all WIP.

As a team we see the halo modding community as a very talented group of people. If anyone on these forums are interested in assisting with the project (in whatever way, from concept art, to website design, to modeling, texturing and design) please head over to our website and check out the recruitment section.

Applications are checked every 5 hours.

If you aren't interested in helping out this project, but you are interested in joining the community be sure to check out our website and join in on the discussion.

Thank you guys for this awesome experience thus far, we really look forward to what lies ahead of us.

Recruitment: http://www.project-contingency.net/h3-recruitment
Forums: http://www.project-contingency.net/forum

Email me directly: Admin@Project-Contingency.net
Edited by Contingency on Jul 13, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Edited by Contingency on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM

RazorHog

@TheGrubbWorm Woo Pig Sooie Y'all

Posted: Jul 13, 2013 11:07 PM    Msg. 2 of 307       
I just felt my wee wee move with excitement. No really, it's so perty

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 13, 2013 11:07 PM    Msg. 3 of 307       
What you have to show looks pretty decent so far, but unfortunately is falling victim to the generic CE3 project I see a lot over at crydev.net... landscapes, a few cool effects and custom assets to show... Don't get me wrong, it looks cool and interesting and I hope it goes places, but heres a protip that I pretty much live by with every one of my new projects that hasn't been shown to the public yet:

Get considerable assets and gameplay.

While your trailer is cool and all, it doesn't show much other than really quite a few different assets, some of them most likely not even created by your team. You should take the time to build up a lot of accumulated work that looks great and actually shows progress. Which would you rather have, a small teaser trailer that really doesn't show much of anything, or a great epic trailer that shows your hard work paying off? It's a little too late for all that, but keep it in mind when you give your fan base updates. You don't want to spoil anything, but you want to show them cool things to keep them interested and wanting more. For example, take a look at the Lumoria trailer that was the first one ever shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqaomsxv3Sw

Even though looking back on it, it was kinda crappy, but it served its purpose - showed gameplay, environments, and things that people in the CE community were looking for at the time without spoiling anything really.

-- but enough of that.

It looks cool. I'll give you that. Of course you guys will also have great graphics as you're using the CE3 (I'd hope), but keep in mind don't make it a simple "port halo stuff and ideas" and make something out of that. Get original and create new concepts and ideas that are your own and put them to work! Fit them into the Halo universe accordingly and make something cool and fun to play. Remember, gameplay is a majority of what the player will experience.

Your teaser trailer already looks a lot better and less overrated then the counterpart ce3 project "Halo: Galaxy of Combat", so I'm eager to see where this will go.

Edited by Higuy on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Edited by Higuy on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Contingency

Posted: Jul 13, 2013 11:45 PM    Msg. 4 of 307       
Thank you guys for all the kind words! It means a lot to us, and we really look forward to showing you more stuff in the near future.

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

What you have to show looks pretty decent so far, but unfortunately is falling victim to the generic CE3 project I see a lot over at crydev.net... landscapes, a few cool effects and custom assets to show... Don't get me wrong, it looks cool and interesting and I hope it goes places, but heres a protip that I pretty much live by with every one of my new projects that hasn't been shown to the public yet:

Get considerable assets and gameplay.

While your trailer is cool and all, it doesn't show much other than really quite a few different assets, some of them most likely not even created by your team. You should take the time to build up a lot of accumulated work that looks great and actually shows progress. Which would you rather have, a small teaser trailer that really doesn't show much of anything, or a great epic trailer that shows your hard work paying off? It's a little too late for all that, but keep it in mind when you give your fan base updates. You don't want to spoil anything, but you want to show them cool things to keep them interested and wanting more -- but enough of that.

It looks cool. I'll give you that. Of course you guys will also have great graphics as you're using the CE3 (I'd hope), but keep in mind don't make it a simple "port halo stuff and ideas" and make something out of that. Get original and create new concepts and ideas that are your own and put them to work! Fit them into the Halo universe accordingly and make something cool and fun to play. Remember, gameplay is a majority of what the player will experience.

Your teaser trailer already looks a lot better and less overrated then the counterpart ce3 project "Halo: Galaxy of Combat", so I'm eager to see where this will go.

Edited by Higuy on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Thank you for your concerns, however let me assure you right now that we understand these types of issues that you brought up. Firstly let me clarify that under Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules we are not allowed to use any content that we didn't develop. All content shown in that trailer is our own, there are absolutely no assets shown that are not built by our team of talented developers (Excluding some of the various environment objects that ship with the default SDK) Please note however that all these assets are not finalized, many design changes will occur in the future as we further define our games individual style.
(The BR is a great example of this, as we do not want to copy halo 4's style. This was more or less a fully custom mockup battle rifle that was made for placeholder reasons, the final one will be much different)

In regards to us just creating "just another halo game", we want to make it very clear that the CryEngine 3 empowers us to do many new things! We plan on adding a lot of new features and removing some that we don't see fit. We feel like the game we are crafting will be different from what you expect from a halo game.

Thank you guys once again!

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 12:03 AM    Msg. 5 of 307       
The Halo-ish assets do not look like ports, I can tell the difference between them from seeing so many over the years on this website (I'm not a fan of ports). I was pointing more towards the stock CE3 assets was all, and like you said in the above post you use the ones from the SDK. I've been creating alot of foliage and environmental assets latley for my own new project (not in CE3 or Unreal), and you guys should really get into that. It's dirty, messy, and fun to create. But like I said, it looks cool and I'm interested in seeing where it goes. Best of luck.

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 12:07 AM    Msg. 6 of 307       
please no halo 4 textures...

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 01:03 AM    Msg. 7 of 307       
:higuy:

Ignore this boy. I like what i see so far.

Edited by Ki11erFTW on Jul 14, 2013 at 01:04 AM

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 01:19 AM    Msg. 8 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
Ignore [Higuy]. I like what i see so far.

He's basically saying it's good, though... x.x

rcghalohell

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 01:55 AM    Msg. 9 of 307       
I wonder what kind of features we will see

Storm

Omega Is Dope

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 01:58 AM    Msg. 10 of 307       
City looks bland, phantom looks meh. Decent visuals for a teaser. Work on it moar or else I'll have to Dsali Slap you. Are you looking for help at all?

Storm

Omega Is Dope

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 05:47 AM    Msg. 11 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
So where is the actual gameplay? You should focus on gameplay first.

#everystudiothatmakesCGItrailers

Storm

Omega Is Dope

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 06:05 AM    Msg. 12 of 307       
Too bright D; ewweh

raphaelBLOOD WAR

I wipe your maps with your own blood!

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 07:05 AM    Msg. 13 of 307       
Are u guys using master chief as main character or some other custom character.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 08:44 AM    Msg. 14 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW

:higuy:

Ignore this boy. I like what i see so far.

Edited by Ki11erFTW on Jul 14, 2013 at 01:04 AM

Maybe bother reading what I write for a change and you'll notice that I never even said that the stuff looks bad.

rcghalohell

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 11:16 AM    Msg. 15 of 307       
hey maybe we will get co-op in single player! omg imagine all the sp mayhem!

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 03:05 PM    Msg. 16 of 307       
It's already possible with CE. Kirby managed to sync AI through vehicles I believe.

I think he may be referring to split-screen functionality/local co-op.

rcghalohell

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 03:53 PM    Msg. 17 of 307       
either/or, both would be awesome, lol make it exclusive to halo pc owners(epic troll) though hopefully we have all the cool features like coop, or coop firefight with those nice portent 2 specials

split screen would be cool for using the tv and 2 wired controllers, and online would be good for hosting coop like its a server, as long as its a join in progress
Edited by rcghalohell on Jul 14, 2013 at 03:55 PM

rcghalohell

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 05:27 PM    Msg. 18 of 307       
noes!

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jul 14, 2013 07:32 PM    Msg. 19 of 307       
We need some h4x0rz. Lots of good ones.

rcghalohell

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 12:01 AM    Msg. 20 of 307       
by the by, will halomaps be supporting this when its released?

Controversial

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 01:21 AM    Msg. 21 of 307       
Ah, here is the project. Looks very nice especially for the stage I am assuming it is in. Looking forward to seeing more from this project. Make sure to take your time, refining the things. I would love some gameplay though, thats what truly makes or breaks a game! I have faith though. Good Luck to your team.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 01:37 AM    Msg. 22 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGAVKNG
Cryhalo: Spartans vs Ceph I WANNA SEE THAT!

Spartans will definitely win, one way or another.

tode

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 01:54 AM    Msg. 23 of 307       
Higuy is stupid and really negative.

Can you stop going around and posting that. Have you seen that SP you created that lumoria it didnt look right gameplay wasnt good,storyline horrid!, voice actin
g sounds silly, what heck man.

By look of this new SP I think it will beat Lumoria.

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:01 AM    Msg. 24 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: tode

Can you stop going around and posting that. Have you seen that SP you created that lumoria it didnt look right gameplay wasnt good,storyline horrid!, voice actin

at least Lumoria used better grammar then you.

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIOS in their name.

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:01 AM    Msg. 25 of 307       

trelos! :D
somebody call the ward!

The thing I like about the cryengine2 and 3 is that it makes vehicles a lot easier to make

tode

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:04 AM    Msg. 26 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: Guilty_spark

at least Lumoria used better grammar then you.

But not graphics.

Guilty_spark

enjoy my bright, blue, balls!

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:13 AM    Msg. 27 of 307       

Can you stop going around and posting that? Have you actually taken a close look at that SP you created you know Lumoria? it didn't look right, gameplay wasn't good,storyline was horrid!, the voice acting sounds silly, what the heck man?

some of the text might get cut off idk why halomaps is doing it.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:20 AM    Msg. 28 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

trelos! :D
somebody call the ward!

The thing I like about the cryengine2 and 3 is that it makes vehicles a lot easier to make

I haven't played any other CryEngine based games but vehicles are a pain to drive in Crysis on Xbox.

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIOS in their name.

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:25 AM    Msg. 29 of 307       
Crysis didn't come to the 360 until after crysis 2 :)

Contingency

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:30 AM    Msg. 30 of 307       
Thank you guys, I thought I might as well take a minute out to answer some questions that I have noticed in this thread, as well as addressing some concerns you may have.

Quote: --- Original message by: Storm
City looks bland, phantom looks meh. Decent visuals for a teaser. Work on it moar or else I'll have to Dsali Slap you. Are you looking for help at all?

Hi there! Don't worry, the graphics are still a work in progress and we are actively working to improve them.

And yes! We are currently are looking for assistance in a variety of fields. If you are an individual who thinks they might be interested in helping out with this project, feel free to check out the recruitment page of our site and submit an application!

You can find that here!

So where is the actual gameplay? You should focus on gameplay first.

Hello, don't worry. Gameplay was our very first concern when we began, but we can't show anything quite yet. We definitely have a lot of surprises in store, most of which are being saved for the future. However, let me assure you that there is already a playable build of the game the developers here have gotten a chance to play, so it's not as though the only thing we have is a few buildings, a phantom, and various other assets, even if it may seem that way. Thanks!

Quote: --- Original message by: raphaelBLOOD WAR
Are u guys using master chief as main character or some other custom character.

Hi there, I'm going to confirm that Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 will not be the main character in this game.

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGAVKNG
Cryhalo: Spartans vs Ceph I WANNA SEE THAT!

Hello! As awesome as it would be to see The Chief face off with some Ceph, it won't be happening. Project: Contingency is not a mod for Crysis. It is going to be a standalone game, meaning we can not use any of the Crysis assets, as using them would be a breach of agreement. CryEngine 3 is a game engine that just happens to run the crysis series.

Thank you guys once again! More information to come in the days and weeks ahead!
Edited by Contingency on Jul 15, 2013 at 02:31 AM

Nickster5000

Sector 09 RR: 2017

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 02:35 AM    Msg. 31 of 307       
Hey, how often do you check your apps? I sent one a couple of days ago & haven't gotten a reply yet.

Looks promising!

Contingency

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 03:03 AM    Msg. 32 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
Hey, how often do you check your apps? I sent one a couple of days ago & haven't gotten a reply yet.

Looks promising!

Quote: --- Original message by: Killer5000
maybe it takes 60 years for a reply

Apologies to the two of you and the other 20+ individuals who submitted applications. A bit of a mistake on my part prevented me from viewing the applications that were sent in. I will be taking a look at some of the applications tonight, and tomorrow morning. From this point forward, applications will be monitored every 5 hours or so.

Apologies once again. And thank you all for your patience and your interest in Project: Contingency!

Nickster5000

Sector 09 RR: 2017

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 11:30 AM    Msg. 33 of 307       
Quote: --- Original message by: Contingency

Apologies to the two of you and the other 20+ individuals who submitted applications...

Hey man, no sweat. I didn't know you got alot of applications. Take your time and find the good ones :)

rcghalohell

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 01:01 PM    Msg. 34 of 307       
will this be on halomaps?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 15, 2013 05:29 PM    Msg. 35 of 307       

Thanks for your expert criticism and fantastic grammar. I'll make sure to keep your points in store for when I'm making millions.

Page 1 of 9 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website