A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Project: Contingency on Kotaku

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: Project: Contingency on Kotaku (72 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 03:37 AM    Msg. 1 of 72       
Well ran across this a few minutes ago, and this is pretty awesome in my opinion that fans from tons of different communities all based around Halo, including this one are getting some recognition. Especially from a large gaming oriented company. This is a big step for all of us in my opinion.

Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

Well here is the link: http://kotaku.com/fans-are-making-a-new-halo-game-for-the-pc-983002521?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

BobbySmitho

Somethings not right?

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 04:03 AM    Msg. 2 of 72       
That's pretty epic.

olly12345

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 05:22 AM    Msg. 3 of 72       
Nicely done, but this is Kotaku, the company that runs "news stories" about a funny picture and 2 lines of text.

Still a good thing!

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 11:13 AM    Msg. 4 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Make countless amazing content for the original Halo and nobody bats an eye. Port it to Cry Engine 3 and everyone has their attention on it.

It's kind of sad.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 11:33 AM    Msg. 5 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Make countless amazing content for the original Halo and nobody bats an eye. Port it to Cry Engine 3 and everyone has their attention on it.

It's kind of sad.

Kind of sad? It's really sad, actually.

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 12:20 PM    Msg. 6 of 72       
Well the reason its like that, is because Halo CE engine is seen as an outdated game engine to many many people. Does that mean it is? Well with all the technical improvements its not all that outdated, it does most things current gen engines do. However, most people only care about graphics and hearing its created on a critically acclaimed engine is a major bonus. Along with the fact that tons of people want to see a brand new Halo game on the PC. So this project seems to hit all those points. Thats also why I said its great for all the Halo communities because from what I have heard, the dev team working on the project is composed of people from many different communities including this one. Halomaps. I thought that was really cool. People from this community, yours and I, community was featured in a spotlight even if it was small and even if it was for a short period of time.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 01:36 PM    Msg. 7 of 72       
You can feel ashamed for mentioning Kotaku, yes.

Rock Paper Shotgun? Not so much.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 01:39 PM    Msg. 8 of 72       
Funny how Rock Paper Shotgun doesn't mention Lumoria OR CMT, both of which have been on there before.

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 02:29 PM    Msg. 9 of 72       
I think being on anything would be a good thing no matter the source...

Eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-01-creators-of-fan-made-pc-halo-game-reckon-theyre-on-safe-ground

Geeky Gadget:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/project-contingency-fan-made-halo-game-arrives-on-pc-video/

Halo5Follower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYiPL0Ze4Y

Rock Paper and Scissor:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/01/project-contingency-is-a-fan-made-halo-game/

And many many other places.

Can we be kinda happy atleast?
Edited by Controversial on Aug 1, 2013 at 02:34 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 02:42 PM    Msg. 10 of 72       
The thing is though most people will probably forget about all of this in about 2 days once it gets through the front page listing

Kal825B

Last son of Krypt... Oh wait, i'm a clone.

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 03:19 PM    Msg. 11 of 72       
Sadly, thats the truth...LOL

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 05:33 PM    Msg. 12 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
The thing is though most people will probably forget about all of this in about 2 days once it gets through the front page listing

At least it'll be on people's minds for those two days -we'd be lucky if anyone pays attention to any development for Halo Custom Edition.

I don't have any complaints about Kotaku or Contingency (Controversial, M16 etc., I love all of y'all's work and I honestly respect and am looking forward to your project, don't get me wrong).
My only beef with all this coverage is that it feels really unfair, seeing a months-old work in progress shining in the limelight more than an experienced, decade-old veteran community.
I'm not saying Contingency doesn't deserve it -of course you do; y'all have done an amazing amount of work, too! But.. maybe it's because this game has existed for so long, but I can't stop feeling jealous or think that this game's public image is just way too unbalanced.

Sure, our engine is outdated. But so what? At the end of the day, I think the only thing people care about is whether you're playing a good game. Why is it so hard for people (especially the "journalists and media", who I'm sure are searching far and wide for content like this) to pay attention to Lumoria or CMT or CE3 or whatever, at least as a living project instead of something that's been dead for a decade? Even for just a day or two?

Quote: --- Original message by: Controversial
The dev team working on the project is composed of people from many different communities including this one. Halomaps. I thought that was really cool. People from this community, yours and I, community was featured in a spotlight even if it was small and even if it was for a short period of time.

The people may be featured. But... will the community itself get the same treatment?
Out of the tens or hundreds of thousands of people that'll see the news, only a tiny fraction of people will bother to find out more about how this all came to be. There's a reason "nerds" are "nerds".

Again, I know I sound a little hostile to y'all but I really don't mean to be (sorry x.x). But that doesn't change that this isn't really right... right?

Edited by renegade343 on Aug 1, 2013 at 07:13 PM

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 06:51 PM    Msg. 13 of 72       
Well people seem to now be hostile towards this project when originally yall had seemed to support this... Whats the sudden down look on this project about? I saw Hiralis wasn't too happy about it among a few people.
Edited by Controversial on Aug 1, 2013 at 06:51 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 07:01 PM    Msg. 14 of 72       
I just don't see it being finished. I'll be proved wrong when it's finished. Until then, finish it

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 07:05 PM    Msg. 15 of 72       
Quote: And now let's kick back and see how quickly it gets shut down.

++rep

renegade343

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 07:14 PM    Msg. 16 of 72       
Well people seem to now be hostile towards this project when originally yall had seemed to support this... Whats the sudden down look on this project about? I saw Hiralis wasn't too happy about it among a few people.

Probably people either being jealous of the coverage, or just uncertainty that this project is getting too big, too fast.

I dunno. For me, it's a little bit of both (sorry! Like I said, I don't mean to be mean or anything, just.. y'know.); I'm sure I'll get over the first one and we'll find a way to get the rest of the Halo community to turn their heads, and I personally think y'all will at least get to a decent beta release.

Let's hope that happens :)
Edited by renegade343 on Aug 1, 2013 at 08:58 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 07:59 PM    Msg. 17 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343
My only beef with all this coverage is that it feels really unfair, seeing a months-old work in progress shining in the limelight more than an experienced, decade-old veteran community.

probs because it's a game being created using a modern engine that offers more than just nicer graphics, not a game being created using a game that puts massive limits on its users. you can make a statue of liberty out of dung, but by the end of the day it's still dung.
Edited by master noob on Aug 1, 2013 at 07:59 PM

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 08:02 PM    Msg. 18 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
Quote: And now let's kick back and see how quickly it gets shut down.

++rep

---rep?

They're apparently following the Content Usage Rules so Microsoft's lawyers would have to be exceptionally desperate and cruel to try to take this project down.

renegade343

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 08:11 PM    Msg. 19 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
They're apparently following the Content Usage Rules so Microsoft's lawyers would have to be exceptionally desperate and cruel to try to take this project down.

Microsoft sent a Cease and Desist one of those YouTube live action series, even though they said they followed the Usage Rules... Can't remember which one, though.

Either way, there's a precedent. I think that's enough of a reason to still be cautious o.o

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 08:21 PM    Msg. 20 of 72       
Microsoft sends ones to those that have similar goals as them.

For example, a Halo mod that was an RTS was shut down with a CD before Halo Wars comes out.

This wont be shut down, however. They followed the rules and you can't really say this anything groundbreaking or that it looks like a totally new game (considering there isn't even any gameplay shown, probably because it isnt that far in dev). Plenty of these mods have popped up before, all of which die off at some point, and that is a more likely case for this mod rather than a C&D order.

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 08:43 PM    Msg. 21 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Microsoft sends ones to those that have similar goals as them.

For example, a Halo mod that was an RTS was shut down with a CD before Halo Wars comes out.

This wont be shut down, however. They followed the rules and you can't really say this anything groundbreaking or that it looks like a totally new game (considering there isn't even any gameplay shown, probably because it isnt that far in dev). Plenty of these mods have popped up before, all of which die off at some point, and that is a more likely case for this mod rather than a C&D order.

I disagree completely with you to be honest. I think this Game (its not a mod) is going to make it thus be released at some point. No reason to always bring people down, I think its great there are so many dedicated Halo fans out there, I mean look at Halomaps its a great example. Criticism should always be accepted when its viable and not out of pure spite. I think the biggest and most unpredictable variable here is Microsoft, but they seem to be relaxing when it comes to new things.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 09:01 PM    Msg. 22 of 72       
I'm not saying it will die off.

What I'm saying is that it's more likely to go that route than get a C&D from Microsoft - if it were to be "gone" in some form.

It looks like a prospering project with potential as I said in my post within that thread, and I also said that I hope it doesn't die off like many of the others one that did for Cry Engine. However with that being said, they haven't shown too much that's worthwhile or interesting - they showed a generic looking forest with some grassy elements, a city with little fidelity besides from when its burning and a few other assets, thus, like I said, nothing terribly ground breaking... actually, compared to some other Cry Engine 3 Halo projects, it's small stuff. Why would Microsoft want to shut this one down in particular compared to the many others? I'm not trying to bring anyone down here, I'm simply stating whats pretty obvious.

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 09:10 PM    Msg. 23 of 72       
I'm not saying it will die off.

What I'm saying is that it's more likely to go that route than get a C&D from Microsoft - if it were to be "gone" in some form.

It looks like a prospering project with potential as I said in my post within that thread, and I also said that I hope it doesn't die off like many of the others one that did for Cry Engine. However with that being said, they haven't shown too much that's worthwhile or interesting - they showed a generic looking forest with some grassy elements, a city with little fidelity besides from when its burning and a few other assets, thus, like I said, nothing terribly ground breaking... actually, compared to some other Cry Engine 3 Halo projects, it's small stuff. Why would Microsoft want to shut this one down in particular compared to the many others? I'm not trying to bring anyone down here, I'm simply stating whats pretty obvious.

Sorry, I must have read your post before this one a tad bit wrong then. While I agree with the haven't seen much of anything part, I like the direction it is going in. As for other CryEngine 3 Halo projects, I don't really know any others that seem to be on this same level using custom assets as this project. If I am wrong I would love to see or be told about the other projects, as I might be completely unaware of them.

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 09:41 PM    Msg. 24 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI

It's kind of sad.

Kind of sad? It's really sad, actually.

I keep trying to get Halofollower to tell everyone about CMT SPV3/TSC:Evolved, or H2SPP but he doesn't seem to care. I even tried to tell him about the takedown series(Sorry Matt) It was all to no prevail. However, show everyone a mod that probably won't even make it to a beta release in Cryengine 3. Everyone can't even control their excitement, for a mod that will pry end up like Project Venerance or Halo: Galaxy of Combat. He sounds like he's jumping out of his seat in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYiPL0Ze4Y

Edited by Kal825B on Aug 1, 2013 at 09:51 PM

renegade343

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 09:53 PM    Msg. 25 of 72       
Just out of curiosity, Kal, could we see (at least an excerpt from) whatever you sent Halo5follower?

Style and context matters just as much as content...

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:14 PM    Msg. 26 of 72       
I gave him the links for the CE3 highlights. After CE3. Basically anything that would get everyones attention the most. Like for example:

Halo 2 2004 Demo in Custom Edition(Not textured, just in game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p_gR5sE5dI0#t=3740s

SPV3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74FZPtFqMXM

H2SPP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AKwrInjj7Q

Takedown Project Lawson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p_gR5sE5dI0&t=4424

And so on...

I told him about what happened just a recap of the show. Even if i was to write this in business letter form, he still pry wouldn't acknowledge it. What really bothers me about his ad for Project: Contingency, is that someone recommended it to him in the comment section of his previous video before the ad... All they said was look up Project Contingency in google...
Edited by Kal825B on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Controversial

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:24 PM    Msg. 27 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kal825B
I told him about what happened just a recap of the show. Even if i was to write this in business letter form, he still pry wouldn't acknowledge it. What really bothers me about his ad for Project: Contingency, is that someone recommended it to him in the comment section of his previous video before the ad... All they said was look up Project Contingency in google...
Edited by Kal825B on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I think there is a lot more to the process than that. Honestly though, if you keep persevering, something will probably happen. I think a great deal of things with quality have been made here. It would be awesome to see an expansion... a larger interest be taken into he creations here on Halomaps, but you can't choose the preferences someone has or connections. Which is what it may have boiled down to, I hope I am making sense.

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:30 PM    Msg. 28 of 72       
ahh halo 2, hope the ai animations are the same up to the head nod "he's pinned down up front"

Kal825B

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:35 PM    Msg. 29 of 72       
I see you don't believe me... I can fix that. Just let me look through my PM's on how I got him to talk about CE3. In short though, all I said, was have you heard of CE3. He let me explain what it was while providing him a link to Matt's and Slowbullet's channel and that was that.

Found it, I asked the question. Have you heard of CE3? That's how that started.
Edited by Kal825B on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:47 PM    Msg. 30 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kal825B
Found it, I asked the question. Have you heard of CE3? That's how that started.

from the looks of it, you just sent videos while the contingency guys sent screenshots, renders, concepts, etc. details details details.

renegade343

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 10:49 PM    Msg. 31 of 72       
You can't choose the preferences someone has or connections. Which is what it may have boiled down to.

I asked for an excerpt since I wanted to see how Kal phrased and recommended the CE3 content to H5F. Worst-case scenario, the way Kal phrased things (or how he didn't say anything substantial?) might've turned the channel off about the show and site.. I dunno.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I hope more people become interested in us, too. It's.. just a problem of how to get there...

Edited by renegade343 on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 12:16 AM    Msg. 32 of 72       
Just noting this to all of you. As Ren had already mentioned, I work on Project Contingency, and Higuy is right, we haven't been working on it for all too long in comparison to a lot of other projects. However, we've spoken to people who work with Microsoft (We actually have 2 people in Microsoft that are in the dev group, more like ambassadors though), so they have constant knowledge that we're abiding by the game content rules, so we wont be getting a Cease and Desist.

Stepping aside from that, yes I get the fact that CE is far more deserving of any sort of appreciation than we're getting at the moment, but on the bright side, we can get more people to help with the project, so at least we can finish it.

Don't worry though, Halomaps has all my love, I always mention you guys <3

flameomega

My animation portfolio http://farzad.csprance.com/

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 12:26 AM    Msg. 33 of 72       

Nothing was ported. Everything is user created content.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 01:50 AM    Msg. 34 of 72       
As a developer for CryEngine, what I see right now looks cool, but isn't all that impressive and I am also still seeing a lot of standard CryEngine assets. I will start having some faith once we get to see some actual ai and weapons in the engine.

ELVEVERX

For the great journey

Posted: Aug 2, 2013 02:02 AM    Msg. 35 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
As a developer for CryEngine, what I see right now looks cool, but isn't all that impressive and I am also still seeing a lot of standard CryEngine assets. I will start having some faith once we get to see some actual ai and weapons in the engine.

from what we have seen they have basically made a very small tag set for unreal and most of the stuff assets that come with the engine

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu September 19, 2019 1:34 AM 781 ms.
A Halo Maps Website