A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »OverLapping Surfaces

Author Topic: OverLapping Surfaces (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2013 01:56 AM    Msg. 1 of 11       
Same Map Different Error Message: In a Previous Thread i addressed some Open edge Errors i was receiving after running Tool Structure, I just decided to do the Design all over.

In the Other Thread, Stunt Man Suggested that Import the .WRL file and that this would allow me to see where my errors are. But i was unable to see a .WRL option in the drop down list.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=43608

OK, the reason why i couldn't see the .wrl option in the drop down box was because i was using the 64Bit version of 3DS Max and you need to be running the 34 Bit Version, which i have now.

Anyway, I'm getting this Error Message now

My results from viewing the WRL file are...

I've deleted the extra boxes and lines that are shown in the pics, saved my work, reexported the JMS file, i then reran tool structure, and i got the very same error messages from before.

so i reimported the .WRL file and the extra shapes that i thought i deleted were still there.

How do i get rid of this problem ?

I did a search Here at Halo Maps for wrl and nothing came up
i later did the same search at google and found this thread

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=22859

so i'm downloading. But if anyone knows a good way to solve this problem don't hesitate to share

___________________________________________________________________________________

So you can't just delete the selected error areas i found out, you actually have to correct the areas
but how ?

Edited by YesUar on Aug 31, 2013 at 04:49 AM

WildYojimbo

Posted: Aug 31, 2013 10:31 AM    Msg. 2 of 11       
The imported WRL file is generating objects to help you locate the errors. Imagine them like somebody circling your spelling mistakes on an essay in pencil. Erasing their circles does not make the spelling mistakes disappear in the same way that deleting the WRL objects does not make the errors disappear.

Notice that the objects are white lines surrounding certain polygons. Imagine these like the circles in my metaphor above; There's something wrong with those polygons (from the tool output it looks like overlap is the main problem).

To complete my spell-check metaphor: What do you do when someone points out your spelling mistakes? You can sometimes add/remove a letter to the word to make it correct, or most likely you erase the word and re-write it correctly. In this same way you can patch up open-edge errors by adding polygons, or delete the problematic polygon and remake it, this time correctly (not overlapping).

Now then, once you are done remaking the problematic polygons (in a more correct way keep in mind. Erasing a misspelling and rewriting it exactly the same helps nothing) feel free to delete the WRL objects, since if there are still errors you will need to re-import and things can get cluttered.

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2013 08:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 11       
Thanks

and lol @ the Analogies

i thought that those extra pieces on the grid were some type of hidden shapes i accidentally made while making my water plane....i know...that doesn't make sense. But it pays to get some rest when you are doing this type of work.

i finally fixed the overlapping errors. pheww, i was getting discouraged.

I fixed the overlapping surfaces by deleting them, then remaking them as suggested by WildYojimbo.

I used the Edit Geometry, Create button to make new polygons.

Anyway,I got a couple more errors to fix, but i'm lost at where to start and what to do. I know it's not the hardest thing to find out though. I know i seen it covered in a few videos that i've watched, but it's not something that i had to deal with until now, so i forgot what was done.

Here are the errors that are left.

Not sure exactly how to fix these. I will have to revisit some tuts to find out. and Again if you have a Quick answer please share. Spending Hours sifting through Tuts to find the answer to one thing is very time consuming.

Thanks Again

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Sep 3, 2013 01:09 PM    Msg. 4 of 11       
Update edge errors occur when you have more than two faces sharing an edge. The solution is to analyze that edge to determine how many faces are using it. Only two faces can share an edge; all others need to be separated as separate faces/objects. You can potentially have multiple faces occupying the same space as an edge, as each face will have its own, distinct edge in that same location.

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 03:53 AM    Msg. 5 of 11       
I fixed this a couple of Days ago and learned allot from the errors.

I welded some vertices, and removed, then replaced some polygons, then got even more errors.

I think i wound up redoing the whole map.

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 08:38 PM    Msg. 6 of 11       
no bitmap was used for +sky
The ID was set to 1 and the color was changed to blue though

I put pictures of Space on the walls for ID 2
Edited by YesUar on Sep 4, 2013 at 08:39 PM

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 5, 2013 03:41 PM    Msg. 7 of 11       
how would i do that ?

and what is the BSP ?

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:42 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       
The BSP is your map, basically. Your entire 3D topology that you create in 3ds Max. It includes the ground, the sky (if you have faces physically attached to the mesh with an ID of "+sky") and any other structures or objects physically attached to your mesh or linked to your frame.

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 6, 2013 06:10 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       
so y'all are saying that the +sky can be textured ?

WildYojimbo

Posted: Sep 6, 2013 06:31 PM    Msg. 10 of 11       
No, +sky shouldn't be textured. Your sky and your map are separate entities. Think about this: you designate +sky areas in your map, but later on you also add a .sky file to your map in Guerilla (think calm_afternoon.sky or space.sky).

All +sky is doing is being invisible so that the .sky background will render in its place (basically). What Mootjuh is trying to say (I think), is that instead of putting space bitmaps in your level as the wall textures, you should make a custom .sky and texture the sky using those bitmaps. Then in your level, make your walls +sky so you can see through them into the space-sky. One reason you'd do it this way is that +sky in addition to being see-through also allows light through, as opposed to your current walls which block light completely.

If that's how you want it, feel free to leave it as is, but making a custom sky isn't that difficult, the only thing that may be an issue is setting up the global lighting and scaling the sky to match your level.

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 6, 2013 09:44 PM    Msg. 11 of 11       
this is good

i didn't even think about creating a custom sky, didn't know i could do that.

was getting tired of using the same ole 2 to 3 skys for my maps though.

So much to learn.

so i assume that i would make the .sky files by using Guerilla ?

i recently made a few .sound and .sound_looping files with it.

none of them work BTW

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat February 22, 2020 7:43 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website