A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Sound Files and Functions

Author Topic: Sound Files and Functions (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 6, 2013 09:49 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
I've watch all the sound tutorials there is. I can't get sound on my maps

How can i find out the difference between these files, where to place them, and how to make them.

.sound
.sound_looping (i know that looping means to repeat) but there has to be more to it.
.sound_environment
.sound_scenery

One tutorial says that the wav file has to be 22,050 hz, 16 bit, and mono in order to work.

Others say that the wav file can be 44,100 Hz and stereo.

Tool ++ never works for anything i put in it.

I made a few sound files, placed them with guerilla and sapien, but they never work.

I just found out how to make a .sound_looping file by watching one of Yodas videos, but i don't know where to place it.

I have used sound files that i didn't make as sound scenery in a map or two.

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Sep 17, 2013 01:32 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       
.sound contains actual sounds. to convert things to .sounds using tool's sounds command you must point tool the directory the sound is in, not the actual sound file itself. e.g if you have a file called "gunfire.wav" in sounds\weapons\gunfire\gunfire.wav, you need to type "tool sounds sounds\weapons\gunfire ogg 1" and not "tool sounds sounds\weapons\gunfire\gunfire.wav ogg 1" or something like that, I made that mistake a few times before and it would confuse me why there was no sound in the output tag. Note that multiple sounds can be stored in a single .sound tag, so if you just want 1 sound make sure there aren't any other .wavs in the directory you're trying to compile from.

.sound_looping is made up of .sounds, and can repeat between these sounds infinitely. Since long sounds compiled in tool can only be something like 45 seconds maximum (i.e music), you can split music into 45 second segments or so and just attach it using a sound_looping tag. Place these segments into the same directory so that when you compile them as .sound it will go all into 1 .sound file which you can use in a sound_looping tag.

I think sound_environment is ambient sound for the bsp, e.g wind breeze sounds. Not really sure with that one See my post below

.sound_scenery is basically just scenery that plays sound (in fact you can achieve the same thing just using a normal .scenery tag). You can attach a sound or sound_looping to that, and then you can place it in your map using sapien so sound plays at that specific point in the map.

For the wav file formats, for sound effects you should use 22050 hz, 16 bit and mono. For music use 44100 hz stereo. having sound effects in 44100 i think will sometimes cut off other 44100 sounds playing (not sure on that) well anyways apparently halo doesn't like 44100 hz sound effects anyway. Having stereo sound effects will break 3d sounds positioning (e.g if a grenade explodes to the left of you, you will hear the explosion through the left speaker so you know it's coming from the left if it's mono, but if it's a stereo sound then it will just play it through both speakers at the same volume levels so you don't know where it's coming from)

I highly recommend using ogg as the OUTPUT codec when compiling sounds in tool (use .wav for the sound you place into tool/your original sound file), so your command should be "tool sounds [sound dir] ogg 1" and not "tool sounds [sound dir] wav". Don't use wav especially for music because it will often cut off randomly and restart from the beginning of the song before it finishes especially when some other sound effect plays while a wav file sound is playing. Xbox adpcm is supposed to be used for sound effects, but the codec only supports windows xp. So really ogg is the only choice to compile with.

You need to create .sound_looping, .sound_environment and .sound_scenery in guerilla (file-> new -> [tag type]). You can even create a new .sound file in guerilla but of course there's not going to be any sound in it so that's completely pointless.
Quote: --- Original message by: SAS
As you probably know from yoda, creating a .sound in guerrilla is used for things like music that needs to be set up before compiling.
-nvm, you need to set things up in the .sound tag first, like the loudness modifiers, random pitchnesses, etc. before compiling, but for a basic sound tag you don't really need to edit anything

Then just fill in the tag fields with stuff. Tutorials should show what to fill the tag fields in with if you can't figure it out.
Edited by nihao123456ftw on Sep 17, 2013 at 01:45 AM
Edited by nihao123456ftw on Sep 17, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Edited by nihao123456ftw on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

SAS

I comment every once in a while

Posted: Sep 17, 2013 01:05 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
IIRC, you would get sound_looping to play in a map through scripting. As for the projection rate (22.05khz or 44.1 khz), I usually use 22050 hz and mono for things like impulses (like weapons, dialog that is coming from an object or person, etc) and 44100 hz + stereo for things like music that are not coming from anywhere specific.

As you probably know from yoda, creating a .sound in guerrilla is used for things like music that needs to be set up before compiling.

yeah, basically everything that nihao said.

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2013 08:18 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
Thank you both

After i make a new sound file using Guerrilla, where do i put it, how do i set up the folders ?

for now, all i want to do is make an atmospheric background like the one that plays in carousel.

I already have .wav files i want to use

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Sep 19, 2013 10:42 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
You can place your sounds wherever you like, doesn't matter.

For playing background sound in a level, you need to edit your level's bsp tag. Open it and scroll down to "Background Sound Palette" and "Sound Environment Palette"

For "Sound Environment Palette", i've looked into .sound_environment tags a little further, it seems to be just how sounds play when you're in different environments e.g in a cave you'd hear sounds echo. I don't really think this tag matters so just choose a random .sound_environment tag from any default map in your bsp tag and type in a random name

For "Background Sound Palette", this is where you choose your .sound_looping tag and type in a random name

After this I can't remember 100% sorry, although i'm pretty sure you have to open your scenario in sapien and go to "Background Sound". In the tool window (the tool window in sapien, not tool.exe) you can set your background sounds to be applied to the bsp clusters, press space to apply (might want to press render planes and non painted clusters so you can see the separate clusters) and you'll have to do this with every cluster i think, if you lose track of which clusters have sounds then leave your properties window in view and it'll say your sound name or "none" if you go over a cluster
Edited by nihao123456ftw on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 21, 2013 03:59 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
Thanks

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: Sep 21, 2013 08:18 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 03:37 PM

YesUar

Shhhhh !!!

Posted: Sep 29, 2013 06:25 AM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

My sounds video tutorial takes you through each step:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfr21szEAw

Adding the sounds to the scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpyEqMZqgeY

Edited by sparky on Sep 21, 2013 at 08:20 PM

thanks

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 18, 2019 10:35 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website