A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »No Hunger Games!?

Author Topic: No Hunger Games!? (33 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 23, 2013 10:18 PM    Msg. 1 of 33       
So I went searching for a hunger games map on the Halo CE and Halo 2 Vista maps and found nothing! I'm really surprised there isn't one or maybe I missed but I'm pretty sure I didn't considering I typed "hunger games". Is it possible to make a hunger games map?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

P.S. (Yes I know this is on the Halo 2 forums but I'm also asking if it can be a Halo CE map)

P.S.S I saw Catching Fire yesterday and it was awesome!
Edited by TheOnlySkiff69 on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 01:38 AM    Msg. 2 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: TheOnlySkiff69

So I went searching for a hunger games map on the Halo CE and Halo 2 Vista maps and found nothing! I'm really surprised there isn't one or maybe I missed but I'm pretty sure I didn't considering I typed "hunger games". Is it possible to make a hunger games map?

Thanks

P.S. (Yes I know this is on the Halo 2 forums but I'm also asking if it can be a Halo CE map)

It can be done... but why should it be made?

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 01:49 AM    Msg. 3 of 33       
I don't think it could be done on Halo 2, but Halo 1, definately.. I was thinking about this project a while ago.... but I have my hands full already.

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 02:23 AM    Msg. 4 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI

Thanks

Just for the fun of it I don't know. You could be the first person to ever make a hunger games map.

Nickster5000

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 02:41 AM    Msg. 5 of 33       
I actually worked on one for a while. The idea has alot of potential.
Edited by Nickster5000 on Nov 24, 2013 at 02:41 AM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 04:14 AM    Msg. 6 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Lolman
Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI

Thanks

Just for the fun of it I don't know. You could be the first person to ever make a hunger games map.

It could very well just be a big forest map, right?

Pros - would be a fun, and probably popular map; if pulled off well.

Cons - Can't place heaps of trees in HCE, you would have to make them into the BSP, or make cluster scenery.

I haven't seen the movie, or read the book, but starting with Iron_Clad's "Fists" for weapons could be a good idea. (I dunno how the contestants got other weapons though.)

Enlighten me?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 08:24 AM    Msg. 7 of 33       
Ive read the books. Its an intresting idea but it needs to be balanced correctly otherwise it simply wont work right. People need to be afraid to die, ala, a game of minecraft. Also, hunger games have 24 number of opponents. And the maps will need to be fairly big to work, not hugeass big, but big. I think in the books the arena is desrcibed as a 1km x 1km area, but more of a circle.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 09:43 AM    Msg. 8 of 33       
yea

i was tired this morning man

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 11:29 AM    Msg. 9 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Ive read the books. Its an intresting idea but it needs to be balanced correctly otherwise it simply wont work right. People need to be afraid to die, ala, a game of minecraft. Also, hunger games have 24 number of opponents. And the maps will need to be fairly big to work, not hugeass big, but big. I think in the books the arena is desrcibed as a 1km x 1km area, but more of a circle.

What about limited lives? That would certainly make it more tense, giving the players a need to not to die.

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 12:14 PM    Msg. 10 of 33       
Slayer: spawn with no weapon, one life only, ammo limited, no shields, no power weapons.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 03:12 PM    Msg. 11 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING
Slayer: spawn with no weapon, one life only, ammo limited, no shields, no power weapons.

I think maybe having a knife or similar melee weapon to begin with, as opposed to no weapon at all, might be a better idea. Having most of the weapons gathered in a central location out in the open could make things interesting, but long-range precision marksman weapons might need to be excluded from the map, otherwise the first person to grab a sniper rifle would simply have to watch the armory and rack up points.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 03:35 PM    Msg. 12 of 33       
I should rephrase it, no projectile weapon, has to be melee.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 04:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 33       
It doesn't have to be exactly replicating the hunger games books. You can have players spawn in a circle w/o shields and only have a melee weapon at their disposal. Then have a bunch of other weapons spawn in the middle of the map where the strongest players can duke it out to come out with a huge advantage while stragglers have to find other less powerful weapons spawning randomly throughout the map. It's a basic concept that can be done without much effort but would be fun to play on.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 04:33 PM    Msg. 14 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
It doesn't have to be exactly replicating the hunger games books. You can have players spawn in a circle w/o shields and only have a melee weapon at their disposal. Then have a bunch of other weapons spawn in the middle of the map where the strongest players can duke it out to come out with a huge advantage while stragglers have to find other less powerful weapons spawning randomly throughout the map. It's a basic concept that can be done without much effort but would be fun to play on.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe a crashed ship with an exposed weapon room, or a abandoned UNSC base could be the cornucopia or whatever it's called. If it's a crashed ship, players could spawn in cryo tubes maybe.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 05:47 PM    Msg. 15 of 33       
Scratch that, a diagram I found of the one in Catching Fire:

Almost 3 mile wide diameter.

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 06:08 PM    Msg. 16 of 33       
Why not have like 12 killboxes?

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 07:53 PM    Msg. 17 of 33       
well a friend of mine made a reach map back in the days of reach with hunger games, although he got one thing wrong, he said you couldn't fight in the beginning even though its supposed to be a bloodfest

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 24, 2013 09:30 PM    Msg. 18 of 33       
If we want to (but I think we should leave it alone) have the Hunger Games skins for players you know and if you choose like a different color team you will have a different skin... but here's the problem if we do that then people can team up with each other and will have the green hud on that player but we could set the teams to only have one player per team. I have seen Catching Fire already so I can tell you one item that has to be in the middle: a bow and arrows because that's the first weapon Katniss grabs.

There's also another weapon: a machete

Weapon List So Far (2nd Movie):

1. Bow and Arrows
2. A Machete

Weapons From The First Movie (Some Are Also From The 2nd Movie):

1. Axe
2. Baton
3. Brick
4. Dagger
5. Guns
6. Knife
7. Land mines
8. Mace
9. Net
10. Pod
11. Sickle
12. Slingshot
13. Snare
14. Rocks
15. Spear
16. Sword
17. Throwing axe
18. Throwing knives
Edited by TheOnlySkiff69 on Nov 24, 2013 at 09:47 PM

sirbobbington

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 12:03 PM    Msg. 19 of 33       
Hand-to-hand combat doesn't work well in Halo CE. If you want to see why, get some people together and play HAT: Castle 2 Castle or DocOc's energy sword test map.

The person with the lowest ping always wins hand-to-hand battles, and swords are hardly any match for a ranged weapon, even with shields and when the sword deals an insta-kill.

You could make a hunger games-themed map with swords and stuff, and you might be able to make hazards like the ones used in the arena. But you wouldn't capture the spirit of the games because:

1. The hunger games are all about balancing your skill as a fighter with your survival skills and ability to make temporary alliances. I'd bet that most players would just rush into a bloodbath, or camp too effectively. The games would either be over in less than 2 minutes, or drag on for hours.
2. The hunger games are supposed to drag on for days... long enough that dehydration and starvation become a real issue. Halo matches are supposed to last 30 minutes or less. I've played on the Wartorn Cove CTF servers with 255 flag capture limit and no time limit. They're fun for about an hour, and then become incredibly tedious.
3. The hunger games have what is essentially a dungeon master to stop campers and control the pace of the games. Without this key player, it would be 16 players camping each other in a map that kills players on an automated schedule.
4. As previously stated, Halo just can't handle a large, densely forested map. It would be virtually impossible to maintain the element of surprise.
5. I don't think it would be particularly fun to grab an active camo and hide for three hours to secure one kill at the opportune moment.

ELVEVERX

For the great journey

Posted: Nov 25, 2013 09:44 PM    Msg. 20 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: sirbobbington
Hand-to-hand combat doesn't work well in Halo CE. If you want to see why, get some people together and play HAT: Castle 2 Castle or DocOc's energy sword test map.

The person with the lowest ping always wins hand-to-hand battles, and swords are hardly any match for a ranged weapon, even with shields and when the sword deals an insta-kill.

You could make a hunger games-themed map with swords and stuff, and you might be able to make hazards like the ones used in the arena. But you wouldn't capture the spirit of the games because:

1. The hunger games are all about balancing your skill as a fighter with your survival skills and ability to make temporary alliances. I'd bet that most players would just rush into a bloodbath, or camp too effectively. The games would either be over in less than 2 minutes, or drag on for hours.
2. The hunger games are supposed to drag on for days... long enough that dehydration and starvation become a real issue. Halo matches are supposed to last 30 minutes or less. I've played on the Wartorn Cove CTF servers with 255 flag capture limit and no time limit. They're fun for about an hour, and then become incredibly tedious.
3. The hunger games have what is essentially a dungeon master to stop campers and control the pace of the games. Without this key player, it would be 16 players camping each other in a map that kills players on an automated schedule.
4. As previously stated, Halo just can't handle a large, densely forested map. It would be virtually impossible to maintain the element of surprise.
5. I don't think it would be particularly fun to grab an active camo and hide for three hours to secure one kill at the opportune moment.

have one player spawn at the top of the map and make them invincible with active camo on and give them a sniper rifle that shoots out mini rockets

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 26, 2013 05:00 PM    Msg. 21 of 33       
Now just saying I know this sounds selfish and all, but if we do make the map and finish it and all that will there be a thing saying:

Made by: (creator)
inspired by: TheOnlySkiff69

You know like that?

Echo77

Posted: Nov 26, 2013 05:53 PM    Msg. 22 of 33       
Now just saying I know this sounds selfish and all, but if we do make the map and finish it and all that will there be a thing saying:

You know like that?

But the Hunger Games wasn't your idea. It's a franchise that existed previously. If anyone were to receive credit who did not play a direct role in making the map, it would probably be the creator of the franchise, not the person who suggested the premise be recreated in Halo: CE.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Nov 26, 2013 07:00 PM    Msg. 23 of 33       
I have an idea for the KotH with survival. No points are given by the hill, but the hill indicates a new weapon drop or something like that so it would create more battles rather than hide and go seek gameplay.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 02:33 PM    Msg. 24 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
So actually Invasion Slayer in Reach?

With more of a survival twist to it.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 09:33 PM    Msg. 25 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Renderpity

Well at least I have a fully functional pancreas.

U jelly?

Can I have it?

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 11:38 PM    Msg. 26 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

You know like that?

But the Hunger Games wasn't your idea. It's a franchise that existed previously. If anyone were to receive credit who did not play a direct role in making the map, it would probably be the creator of the franchise, not the person who suggested the premise be recreated in Halo: CE.

I'm not saying I'M the creator of the Hunger Games and BTW before people start even saying more stuff if I didn't make this thread this wouldn't even be happening and most creators of things put the person's name who inspired them to make it in their creation and all I'm asking is for my name to be put on the page where you download it or on the readme is that to much for ask for? And yes I know there are a lot of people who are all like "oh well I have actually been thinking to make this map for a while" ok well you have been "THINKING" not "WORKING" and to the people who have actually been working I'm not mad at you but some people say "oh because I thought of doing it" but never put it out there, well I did so it's your fault for not putting it out there before me (keep that in mind before replying to me). This thread wouldn't have been even started if I didn't make it so all I ask is for my name to be put on the download page or the readme. And if one of you guys was gonna do it all by yourself, then just jump in help us out.

I've been thinking of doing one before you making this thread actually.

Then why haven't you done anything for it before and I'm not talking about on this thread I'm talking about when you were thinking of doing it. And once again you "THOUGHT" of doing it but never actually made a thread about or let it out there and even if you were gonna do it alone. And before you say "well you just thought of it too so why should you get the credit" BECAUSE I PUT IT OUT IN THE THREADS AND I'M THE ONLY WHO EVEN TALKED ABOUT IT!

Any way the arena is circular and it is suppose to be a clock tower at midnight or some time around that lightning strikes at this one tree. So we know that the map has to have a time changing sky.

One of the parts of the clock arena has this smoke that burns your skin with white bubbles so there has to be a type of smoke that will just hurt you when you get near it not all over place it just starts to spread out from one direction.
Edited by TheOnlySkiff69 on Nov 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 12:48 AM    Msg. 27 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Renderpity2
you act like this has never happened before

this happens all the time

SALI!!!!!!

I MISSED YOU!!!

How goes you?

You never got in my car, :(

Why not?

Why you no go in my car?

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 03:26 AM    Msg. 28 of 33       
Lol, man. xP

coal

Echo77

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 10:17 AM    Msg. 29 of 33       
@TheOnlySkiff: You can look at it this way: Flash Gordon, a popular comic strip introduced in 1934, included a rocket ship that the protagonist used in his adventures. The first realworld manned spacecraft, Vostok I, did not fly until 1961. The creators of Flash Gordon did not get credit for Vostok I just because they publicly mentioned space travel before it came into existence.

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 10:19 PM    Msg. 30 of 33       
@TheOnlySkiff: You can look at it this way: Flash Gordon, a popular comic strip introduced in 1934, included a rocket ship that the protagonist used in his adventures. The first realworld manned spacecraft, Vostok I, did not fly until 1961. The creators of Flash Gordon did not get credit for Vostok I just because they publicly mentioned space travel before it came into existence.

I don't care about no space crap
Edited by TheOnlySkiff69 on Nov 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 10:25 PM    Msg. 31 of 33       
Damn people all I want is my name is be in the people who helped is that too much to ask for and Mootjuh what movie The Hunger Games (the first one) or Catching Fire (the second one) that made you wanna make the map?
Edited by TheOnlySkiff69 on Nov 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Echo77

Posted: Nov 29, 2013 12:20 PM    Msg. 32 of 33       

No but they sure did mentioned the persons name flying in it didn't they?

Vostok I was flown by Yuri Gagarin. He is credited as being the first man in space, not because he had an idea about doing something, but he actually did it. That is how credit works.

TheOnlySkiff69

Posted: Nov 29, 2013 04:26 PM    Msg. 33 of 33       

No but they sure did mentioned the persons name flying in it didn't they?

Vostok I was flown by Yuri Gagarin. He is credited as being the first man in space, not because he had an idea about doing something, but he actually did it. That is how credit works.

Apparently I read your last reply too fast so I didn't quite get it, but I get it now.

The first one made me want to build an arena, the 2nd one made me want the catching fire arena specifically.

And someone's name under a project while not contributing is not fair.

Alright I understand. It was pretty silly of me demanding my name to be on the readme or the page. But here's the thing I have contributed.

Weapons:

Weapon List So Far (2nd Movie):

1. Bow and Arrows
2. A Machete

Weapons From The First Movie (Some Are Also From The 2nd Movie):

1. Axe
2. Baton
3. Brick
4. Dagger
5. Guns
6. Knife
7. Land Mines
8. Mace
9. Net
10. Pod
11. Sickle
12. Slingshot
13. Snare
14. Rocks
15. Spear
16. Sword (If We Want We Can Also Use A Energy Sword)
17. Throwing Axe (Same As A Axe)
18. Throwing Knives (Same As A Knife)

Arena:

Arena Shape: Circular
Arena Type: Clock Tower
Amount Of Weapons: Not As Much (Atleast Not As Much As The First Hunger Games)

Middle Of Arena Specialty: The Cornucopia Spins Around At A Certain Speed Confusing The Competitors From Knowing What Part Of The Arena Is The Right O'clock

1 o'clock: Lightning Storm (Strikes At Tree)
2 o'clock: Blood Rain
3 o'clock: Poisonous Fog (That Burns Your Skin
4 o'clock: Monkey Mutts
5 o'clock: Jabberjays (Annoying Birds With The Voices Of Loved Ones/Killed Ones)
6 o'clock: Unknown (We Can Put In A Custom One)
7 o'clock: Beast
8 o'clock: Unknown (We Can Put In A Custom One)
9 o'clock: Unknown (We Can Put In A Custom One)
10 o'clock: Unknown (We Can Put In A Custom One)
11 o'clock: Giant Wave (A Flood Of Water)
12 o'clock: Insects (We Can Use The Flood Infection Form)

Flood Infection Form:

Edited by TheOnlySkiff69 on Nov 29, 2013 at 04:28 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun October 20, 2019 2:08 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website