A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Custom biped animations are broke.

Author Topic: Custom biped animations are broke. (24 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 01:14 AM    Msg. 1 of 24       
This is what's happening:

What do I need to fix?
It's not the animation file, I can import it back into 3ds max and it animates properly.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 01:25 AM    Msg. 2 of 24       
Is this a biped using a custom boneset?

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 01:26 AM    Msg. 3 of 24       
Yes it is.

I thought the finger bones in the max shot would have given that away.
Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 12, 2013 at 01:28 AM

Spartan314

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 03:28 AM    Msg. 4 of 24       
I had this problem with my jetpack biped.
I made a similar thread a while back, and according to Darklord, it's got something to do with overlays.

Did your overlays import and export correctly?

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 04:04 AM    Msg. 5 of 24       
I'm not really sure what you mean by overlays. I'm guessing that's my problem if i don't know what they are. How do I fix them?

Here's my model_animations tag
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43157158/help1/zombie.txt

OK right now there's 1 JMA file. Idle.JMA and it's set to unarmed idle. I don't think it's set up properly because I've never made a model_animations file from scratch and I'm kind of guessing my way through this biped.
Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 12, 2013 at 04:25 AM

Spartan314

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 07:25 AM    Msg. 6 of 24       
:/
.jmo s are overlays, and jma s & jmm (I think) are like the actual animations.

I don't see why it shouldn't be working. Which exporter are you using? If you aren't already, try using CAD's animation exporter.

grunt_eater

Everything except biped rigging.

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 10:56 AM    Msg. 7 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64

I'm not really sure what you mean by overlays. I'm guessing that's my problem if i don't know what they are. How do I fix them?

OK right now there's 1 JMA file. Idle.JMA and it's set to unarmed idle. I don't think it's set up properly because I've never made a model_animations file from scratch and I'm kind of guessing my way through this biped.

Have you tried referencing a preexisting model_animations file? I'd go check out the cyborg and compare it's idle to what you have, just to see if there are any differences.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 01:10 PM    Msg. 8 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: grunt_eater

Have you tried referencing a preexisting model_animations file? I'd go check out the cyborg and compare it's idle to what you have, just to see if there are any differences.

Yeah. I've been using the captain's animation file because he doesn't have a weapon and neither does this biped.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 02:43 PM    Msg. 9 of 24       
Due to your glitch it looks like he's smiling in the first picture which is both funny and scary.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 08:13 PM    Msg. 10 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: waffles

Nobody has asked how many bones your using? Anything over 50 for a biped with stock engine will break the rendering of the furthest nodes in the heirarchy. OS has a patch that fixes this, though 64 is still the absolute limit.
Edited by waffles on Dec 12, 2013 at 04:01 PM

64 nodes exactly, Actually it might be 62. What's the fix?

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 08:51 PM    Msg. 11 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Arbiter
you dont have to have the finger bones but still the models a giant compared to halo ces its from oblivion XD

The animations are scaled. I'd prefer to have the finger bones too.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 09:43 PM    Msg. 12 of 24       
export the model with OpenSauce or reduce the amount of bones to 48. OpenSauce model export will allow you to utilize all 64 bones without forcing you to actually use OpenSauce for your map

H2

Mexicans aren't real people.

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 10:23 PM    Msg. 13 of 24       
I can probably guess why. It MAY be becauase it is possessed.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 11:17 PM    Msg. 14 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
export the model with OpenSauce or reduce the amount of bones to 48. OpenSauce model export will allow you to utilize all 64 bones without forcing you to actually use OpenSauce for your map

You mean compile the model with os_tool? I did that. Should I do the same thing with the animations?

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 11:22 PM    Msg. 15 of 24       
\Documents\My Games\Halo CE\OpenSauce\OS_Settings.User.xml

Check after the postprocessing block,
<Upgrades dynamicTriangles="true" renderModelNodesPatch="true" />

If its there, set it to those values, otherwise, add that line. Then go check the tags ingame.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 02:15 AM    Msg. 16 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
\Documents\My Games\Halo CE\OpenSauce\OS_Settings.User.xml

Check after the postprocessing block,
<Upgrades dynamicTriangles="true" renderModelNodesPatch="true" />

If its there, set it to those values, otherwise, add that line. Then go check the tags ingame.

Cool, that fixed the unweighed stuff, but some of my bones are still not giving the desired effect.

Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 13, 2013 at 02:16 AM

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 04:56 PM    Msg. 17 of 24       
Thats odd, halo doesn't seem to be getting the node rotations right lol. I am perplexed.

Well I guess I should note I'm using that technique to scale a biped with animations down, but I also used it to rotate the biped 90 degrees. I'm not sure if the biped's direction matters too much, but I tried to get it as close to the halo scale as possible (50% scale + -90 degrees k rotate)

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 10:52 PM    Msg. 18 of 24       
The animations might as well be custom. They're a lot higher quality than the stock ones in CE. As for the vertex weights, I'll try to reset the skin modifier like you suggested, but I don't feel like that's going to work because I've already remade the skin modifier when I attached all the separated objects. I'll also try and export a different permutation for that region and see if that fixes it.

So I did a quick test to see if it was my process that was breaking the animations. I managed to get this ingame with no transforms in max:

But this biped has a problem similar to the other zombie biped. The legs are sliding like the animation on the root bone is being swayed. I'll probably remake the oblivion zombie biped with no transforms in max to see if that fixes the problem if the skin modifier isn't the problem.
Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

ptowery

oify

Posted: Dec 14, 2013 05:07 AM    Msg. 19 of 24       
I just completely remade the zombie and I'm getting the same armbreak error. Am I supposed to do anything important to the nodes in the animation file when I export? I don't understand what I did wrong unless It's something I messed up in the model_animations meta data or Something to do with rotating the dummy node.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 14, 2013 09:43 PM    Msg. 20 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88
Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88
I made a custom animation set one time, got this and had no idea how to fix it. On a hunch, I re-linked all the bones and it went back to normal. (Remember that "Thriller" picture, Kirby? :D )

That's won't work, I've already tried porting the zombie again from scratch. The only thing I didn't remake was the collision and that broke when I updated the model anyway.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 04:32 PM    Msg. 21 of 24       
port hl2 stuff not oblivion oblivion wont work for these reasons that problems of strething ingame is cuase you shrank the animation is the problem to fix it dont shrink the model or anything XD as for hl2 there kinda halo sized and should go fine

No, there's a way to scale animations without this happening. I think it might be the combination of scaling and rotating. I'm pretty much done with that hl2 model anyway now that his animation works.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 06:21 PM    Msg. 22 of 24       
you should make the hl2 zombie tag complete with melee anims walking and death ones and shiz idk if they have death anims already so oyu may have to make custom ones

I'm going to use max reactor to make some ragdoll simulated death animations.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 15, 2013 11:36 PM    Msg. 23 of 24       
Massfx=Mass Effect, yup. Totally, thats exactly what i was saying.

Does that come stock with 3ds max? I've got 5 and 2009.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 04:49 PM    Msg. 24 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: To Catch a Predator
you should make the hl2 zombie tag complete with melee anims walking and death ones and shiz idk if they have death anims already so oyu may have to make custom ones

I'm going to use max reactor to make some ragdoll simulated death animations.

Good luck with that. HL2 bones are imported into Max with odd rotations, and you will see soon enough that Reactor won't like it if you did indeed import the default smds. As for MassFX, I can't say, but PhysX SDK seems to like them just as much as Reactor.

Reactor's not great. I don't really have any other options though, My animations look about as robotic as the ones in Morrowind.
Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 16, 2013 at 04:49 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 9, 2019 2:23 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website