A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Bigass Public Beta

Page 3 of 45 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 45 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Bigass Public Beta (1559 messages, Page 3 of 45)
Moderators: Dennis

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 12:48 PM    Msg. 71 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell
finally looked at the map, omg its a safari! so... whats up with every weapon I "pick up" being an "assault rifle"

Didn't bother creating new pick up icons yet. Things like that will be fixed.

lol fear my "assault rifle" also that assault rifle skin looks very nice, you should put that on a sniper. very nice hud also

WWLinkMasterX

subliminal message.

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 02:15 PM    Msg. 72 of 1559       
Have you considered CMT's method of using board-able bipeds for the Falcons to allow for strafing physics?

Or does that not work/sync in multiplayer?

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 02:21 PM    Msg. 73 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: WWLinkMasterX
Have you considered CMT's method of using board-able bipeds for the Falcons to allow for strafing physics?

Or does that not work/sync in multiplayer?

Does that even work without OS?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 02:31 PM    Msg. 74 of 1559       
Yeah im pretty sure it does..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyZwY0d06Y

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 02:41 PM    Msg. 75 of 1559       
Just played for a couple hours and I gotta say, snipers DEFINITELY shouldn't be primaries. Everyone just spawn camps from the hills. If anything the sniper should spawn similarly to the way the laser spawns. Also I think this map screams for a snow grove esque BrG or something similar to that effect so players can flip oncoming vehicles and deal with the players on the ground, as the map is very vehicle heavy and the players seem to get the short end of the stick against vehicles, and mines aren't exactly reliable against vehicles in the heat of combat and are better off just planted on the ground for base defense. Also, maybe this is just me but does anyone else think this map just screams for an elephant? It'd be great alongside the armored truck, seeing as it's slower than the the truck, a bit more exposed (especially in the back), but at the same time has a turret. Just a thought.

Just my two cents, idk if any of this was mentioned in the other pages or posts before mine as I'm not really following this thread. Just thought I'd post my opinion anyway though.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 03:05 PM    Msg. 76 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
Just played for a couple hours and I gotta say, snipers DEFINITELY shouldn't be primaries. Everyone just spawn camps from the hills. If anything the sniper should spawn similarly to the way the laser spawns. Also I think this map screams for a snow grove esque BrG or something similar to that effect so players can flip oncoming vehicles and deal with the players on the ground, as the map is very vehicle heavy and the players seem to get the short end of the stick against vehicles, and mines aren't exactly reliable against vehicles in the heat of combat and are better off just planted on the ground for base defense. Also, maybe this is just me but does anyone else think this map just screams for an elephant? It'd be great alongside the armored truck, seeing as it's slower than the the truck, a bit more exposed (especially in the back), but at the same time has a turret. Just a thought.

Just my two cents, idk if any of this was mentioned in the other pages or posts before mine as I'm not really following this thread. Just thought I'd post my opinion anyway though.

Much agreement in regards to most of this, with a few minor differences:
•As mentioned previously, I feel that sniper rifles should be treated almost like heavy weapons on this map. Maybe one could spawn in each base, and one near the middle of the map somewhere.
•Rather than putting a grenade launcher on a battle rifle, perhaps one could be added to the assault rifle. You wouldn't even have to modify the model, if you just edited the textures and replaced the flashlight lens with an appropriately sized bore. This would work for an electronically fired, metal storm-style grenade launcher, and you could probably get away with having three 20mm grenades loaded. If you don't want to bother with reload animations, you could simply make it so that once you expend all three grenades, you don't get any more unless you pick up a new AR. 20mm grenades would have a flatter trajectory than the 40mm rounds normally associated with grenade launchers, but would have a smaller blast radius. They would be sufficient for deterring lightly armored vehicles such as Mongooses and Warthogs, but wouldn't be something you could really use against tanks or clusters of infantry.
•An Elephant could be cool, but I don't know of any available Elephant tags that fit the aesthetic of the map, and I don't know whether both the truck and the Elephant would be needed. The Elephant would have to be up-armored quite a bit to be worthwhile, I think, and if that were the case there wouldn't be much sense in taking the truck.

altis94

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 03:43 PM    Msg. 77 of 1559       
No to Elephant. And I personally dislike grenade launchers on other weapons but it could be a separate weapon, either grenade or rocket launcher. Initial weapon will probably be changed to battle rifle when it's finished.

BLAH http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/126927030-4.jpg

Echo77

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 03:48 PM    Msg. 78 of 1559       
No to Elephant. And I personally dislike grenade launchers on other weapons but it could be a separate weapon, either grenade or rocket launcher. Initial weapon will probably be changed to battle rifle when it's finished.

BLAH http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/126927030-4.jpg

Fair enough. I believe there's a Reach grenade launcher on the site somewhere, but I don't know what the quality of it is. A standalone grenade launcher could be a good weapon to have one or two of in the base, while rocket launchers could be power weapons that go elsewhere on the map.

Edit: Also, I keep forgetting to mention it, but I really like how well the sky goes with the map itself, and gives the illusion that you're playing in an area that's much larger than it actually is. Feels much less confined than the usual cliffside boundaries.
Edited by Echo77 on Dec 27, 2013 at 04:03 PM

Delicon20

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 03:51 PM    Msg. 79 of 1559       
the zteam tagset release had a near perfect reach grenade launcher
Edited by Delicon20 on Dec 27, 2013 at 03:51 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 03:55 PM    Msg. 80 of 1559       
as the map is very vehicle heavy and the players seem to get the short end of the stick against vehicles, and mines aren't exactly reliable against vehicles in the heat of combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyaiIr2i6IA&feature=youtu.be

JK, i agree with this post. But disagree on the elephant though, but the BRG/rocket is a great idea, and yeah, snipers shouldn't be primarys.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 04:24 PM    Msg. 81 of 1559       
"Ruining recordings since 2012"

rcghalohell

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 04:35 PM    Msg. 82 of 1559       
shut up and take my money!

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 05:31 PM    Msg. 83 of 1559       
I honestly really enjoy defusing other people's mines with pistols... it's really fun messing with people's chances for free kills :P

Also I think this map screams for a snow grove esque BrG or something similar to that effect so players can ... deal with the players on the ground.

Initial weapon will probably be changed to battle rifle when it's finished.

Honestly, I still agree with the idea to include a BR or DMR -thanks for considering it, Altis.
At least when I played it, a lot of situations where you need to actively fight on foot (read: not sniping) is at that awkward distance where you're too far to accurately use the AR but too close to truly rely on a sniper -and you want slightly more firepower than a pistol.

If there has to be one problem with Halo 1's tagsets, it's that there's an awkward gap between close-range guns (shotguns and ARs) and long-range snipers. I know this is a custom tagset, but I still think it has that same problem of flexibility.

Also, maybe this is just me but does anyone else think this map just screams for an elephant? It'd be great alongside the armored truck, seeing as it's slower than the the truck, a bit more exposed (especially in the back), but at the same time has a turret. Just a thought.

Quote: --- Original message by: Waffles
I have to say tank is kinda OP for this map, its too open and they have long lines of sight. I feel like artilary or AA would be better. ... I had a hard time playing defense due to tank camping.

^ I think what Waffles said goes for the Elephant, too. On top of looking awkward like Altis just showed us, I feel like it starts to make the map seem really cluttered if you add it in.
Artillery or anti-air/anti-tank turrets are definitely better, and as (I think?) Echo mentioned in the server, anti-air towers might be good scenery additions, if you're looking into that.

The truck also has a bit of an element of surprise in it, too ("I wonder how many guys are hidden inside the trunk...mwahaha >:D ), and it can be easily balanced out by the Rocket Warthog turret and Falcon missiles.

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
I really like how well the sky goes with the map itself, and gives the illusion that you're playing in an area that's much larger than it actually is. Feels much less confined than the usual cliffside boundaries.

I agree; this map has the most unique, yet natural and compelling style out of all the maps that I've seen released so far with custom content. The vastness and closely matching themes of the weapons and scenery, the rare feeling in a video game where you actually WANT to drop your guns, take a stroll, and just go out and enjoy "nature"...

This is art. It's good art. Something we need to see more of in the future :)

Echo77

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 05:39 PM    Msg. 84 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343Artillery or anti-air/anti-tank turrets are definitely better, and as (I think?) Echo mentioned in the server, anti-air towers might be good scenery additions, if you're looking into that.

Ah yes, someone had gotten a Warthog onto the roof of the base and I was trying to use the turret for air defense. Some emplaced weapons might be useful on a map like this considering how vulnerable the bases feel, but then again, CTF seems to be a struggle as it is. I'm not sure how adding gun turrets would affect gameplay in that department.

jackrabbit

Fight Against the Machine of Deth!

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 07:02 PM    Msg. 85 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
I really like how well the sky goes with the map itself, and gives the illusion that you're playing in an area that's much larger than it actually is. Feels much less confined than the usual cliffside boundaries.

I agree; this map has the most unique, yet natural and compelling style out of all the maps that I've seen released so far with custom content. The vastness and closely matching themes of the weapons and scenery, the rare feeling in a video game where you actually WANT to drop your guns, take a stroll, and just go out and enjoy "nature"...

This is art. It's good art. Something we need to see more of in the future :)

This is the truth. Balance out the weapons & vehicles. and you will not only have a good map but like a 10!

rcghalohell

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 07:48 PM    Msg. 86 of 1559       
auto elevator is pretty good

altis94

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 07:53 PM    Msg. 87 of 1559       

I noticed that a lot of people play with 200+ ping and elevator looks laggy for them so I will try to improve its animation. Expect a new version pretty soon.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 08:01 PM    Msg. 88 of 1559       
I get alot of freezes and creepy audio fix my ears bleed ;(

rcghalohell

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 08:09 PM    Msg. 89 of 1559       

I noticed that a lot of people play with 200+ ping and elevator looks laggy for them so I will try to improve its animation. Expect a new version pretty soon.

I should probably play new maps with friends instead of by myself lol

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 08:15 PM    Msg. 90 of 1559       
Mortars might be a good idea. Just throwing that out there.

rcghalohell

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 08:20 PM    Msg. 91 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
gotta agree, we have wraith mortars, why not start from there and see where we go

Echo77

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 08:27 PM    Msg. 92 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx

The problem with mortars in CE is that once you start aiming high enough to get any substantial distance out of them, you can't see what you're aiming at anymore. Having some ranging tics in weapon's interface might help a bit, but you'd probably have to rely pretty heavily on a spotter to use it effectively.

Possible alternatives would be an airstrike of sorts that functions similarly to calling in a supply pod with the binoculars, or howitzers, which wouldn't arc as much as mortars, but would still be affected by gravity over a distance. A howitzer might be a good replacement for the tank's main cannon: something with a slightly larger explosive payload, but at the cost of accuracy and the round's usually flat trajectory.
Edited by Echo77 on Dec 27, 2013 at 08:32 PM

LoneWolf

YARHHHGGHGG

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:14 PM    Msg. 93 of 1559       
We need to fix the mines.
Literally, I would place a mine on the ground, and the next second someone will drive a warthog over it, blow off their shields and flip the warthog, while simultaneously killing me.

Also, the concept of a mine is more of sensor, not:

MY WHEEL ROLLED OVER THE MINE SO IT EXPLODED AND I KILLED MYSELF
OH NO THE MINE DIDN'T BLOW THE GUY UP BECAUSE HE DIDN'T ROLL HIS WHEEL OVER IT.

etc, etc.

Also, maybe a friendly fire kind of thing? friendly mines won't detonate on friendly people?

Also, you were saying that we aren't adding new weapons????
Then why am I texturing a DMR and a BR for you???

Anyway, still pretty good work with the elevator fix and stuff.

altis94

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:25 PM    Msg. 94 of 1559       
I'm not adding new weapons on 2,072. Later versions might have new weapons. And there isn't much I can actually do about mines, you just have to be careful.

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:25 PM    Msg. 95 of 1559       
DMR as starter weapon plox

altis94

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:26 PM    Msg. 96 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING

I never understood how DMR is different from magnum. I know there are slight differences but they act pretty much the same.

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:29 PM    Msg. 97 of 1559       
Well make the DMR more distinctive than the pistol. Give it twice the range maybe?

Echo77

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:35 PM    Msg. 98 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING

I never understood how DMR is different from magnum. I know there are slight differences but they act pretty much the same.

They deal similar damage, but the DMR fires more slowly than the M6G, has higher accuracy, longer range, and a larger magazine.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 09:36 PM    Msg. 99 of 1559       
Mines can also be used by dicks to want other people dead but not to bloody their hands.
I set a mine, ran off, then some dude shot the mine, and their deaths were added as betrayals to my score.

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 10:31 PM    Msg. 100 of 1559       
That spartan laser is weakkkkkkk

Delicon20

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 11:33 PM    Msg. 101 of 1559       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
That spartan laser is weakkkkkkk

I also thought this, but I just wasn't sure if it was because all the projectiles weren't hitting the target (it shoots a burst of projectiles and not just one, right? Never really looked into how the common spartan laser tags work in ce)
Edited by Delicon20 on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

bobbysoon

Posted: Dec 27, 2013 11:59 PM    Msg. 102 of 1559       

LoneWolf

YARHHHGGHGG

Posted: Dec 28, 2013 12:00 AM    Msg. 103 of 1559       
I agree with what most people are saying about the sniper (you could tell from my in-game rants lol)

the sniper is a very bad starter weapon.
Literally, you will have 2-3 people just camping in the hills around a base, picking people off as they spawn, get in a vehicle (mongoose for example. I died 16 times from mongoose snipes. I counted)

When me and bourrin (or maybe just bourrin, seeing if I have enough time to texture it) finish the BR and the DMR, hope you'll put that as the starting weapon, instead of the sniper (before that, maybe put the starting as the AR?)

People were also saying how the spartan laser was weak,

Really depends on what and where you're shooting

If you're shooting the wheel of the truck, you're obviously not going to do much damage
If you're shooting the tail of the falcon you're obviously not going to do much damage
If half the beam missed the target you're obviously not going to do much damage

etc,etc.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Dec 28, 2013 12:32 AM    Msg. 104 of 1559       
So as I've been working on the terrain, smoothing hills out, fixing some of the jumps in the map, spicing up some cliffs, etc. I've been thinking about one potential gameplay flaw in the map: the tanks.

These tanks are so incredibly powerful - there really fun to use too, but the problems are:

*They are out of the way, hard to find almost
*Each base has this, so essentially, each team has a pretty large powerful weapon

Another issue with the map is that the large lush open terrain isn't utlilized as much as it should be. The nice rolling hills and other things are all dominated by snipers and vehicular combat.

My solution to these problems:

Basically another middle base. Some things on this base:

*If you have not noticed, its in the middle of the map on a large terrace (the terrace is currently there in the latest beta)
*A single tank would spawn behind the windows of the base.
*While its on a large hill, a pretty decent location (for say, sniping), the tank can't be camped here, and players cannot coup up in the building and protect the dirt area.
*The base is easily flanked from the back by 2 paths from either base

The idea is the tank would spawn behind the base (the other two in the current build would be replaced with this) and players would fight over not only a "super weapon", but also the base itself as it would provide a great advantage for players who want long range combat. However, this is counter balanced by people who would be assaulting the base itself trying to take it from them, giving some CQB inside the building and around it. The base overlooks most of the map, but not the main red + blue bases.

Thoughts on this idea?

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Dec 28, 2013 01:07 AM    Msg. 105 of 1559       
Sounds like a good idea to me. With the tanks where they are now I couldn't even find them 'till Altis told me where they were. Adding more place to pass by while driving around is also a good plan, it seemed a bit on the empty side before.
Edited by gruntfromhalo on Dec 28, 2013 at 01:08 AM

Page 3 of 45 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 45 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 9:44 PM 2,312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website