A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Takedown: Extermination - Work In Progress Thread

Page 5 of 12 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 12 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Takedown: Extermination - Work In Progress Thread (402 messages, Page 5 of 12)
Moderators: Dennis

Caesar

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 07:46 PM    Msg. 141 of 402       
you know your project is it 80% complete right?

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 09:38 PM    Msg. 142 of 402       
Hey Dratt, just a quick question. What would you say is the proportion of game play to cutscenes in Takedown: Extermination? I ask because I recently replayed Takedown: Poject Lawson and felt that it pulled control away from the player a bit to often, which lead to me becoming annoyed enough to not want to finish it. I felt that this was a shame, as I remember my first play though of it being quite enjoyable, but in the time since then, my tolerance for being pulled away from the game has dropped significantly.

For instance, in TD:PL, after sitting through a large amount of introduction stuff and some novel but ultimately pointless RPG-light side quest, the player finally gets exposed to the first real bit of gameplay, a warthog section. This section is quite fun, but only lasts for a short amount of time, before being interrupted by a short and pointless cutscene. The content of this cutscene could have easily been done without taking control away from the player. Following this, the player then has to do more non interactive walking until they are met with yet another cutscene. This time, Lawson, decides to spend a significant amount of time talking about exposition that take almost as much time as the previous encounter. Once this exchange has been completed, the player then leaves with his AI buddy and walks for a bit, only to then find the next encounter. This encounter, again, is relatively decent. However, once the player starts to move out, the environment strongly encourgeing the player to just drive to the end, ignoring all the enemies in the path. However, I will skip over this, as the content that makes up the gameplay to the gameplay vs cutscene discussion.

Following this encounter, the player, again has to go through more non ineractive walking and cutseens. Following this period of non-interactivity, the player then reaches the next gameplay segment: a turret section. Now, I can see why this was included, turret sections are not a part of vanilla Halo CE and its inclusion showcases a feat of -BLAM- script programming. However, turret sections more often than not, are nothing more than an "on the rails" shooter, which makes the section replay very poorly due to the lack of options the player has. This is the reason that vanilla Halo CE does not include turret segments, they clash with the "approach the encounter any way you want" game design that is central to a good FPS single player. The same thing goes for an overabundance of cutscenes, the more they interrupt the gameplay, the less replayable and therefore enjoyable a single player FPS becomes.

Let's take a look at some examples of AAA FPS single players and how they use cutscene in relation to their gameplay.

DOOM 1 & 2: Only brief text interludes in between Episodes. This allows for a high amount of reputability and a focus on gameplay, but causes the story to become almost non-existant

COD 4 and beyond: Highly scripted and linear, renowned for there unintentional "B Movie" like experience, in terms of both length and narrative. The focus on set pieces (similar to that found it TD:PL) causes the gameplay to boil down to an "on rails shooter" but with the ability to move left and right.

Wolfensitne: The New Order: Very much a story focused FPS, which even includes a number of action setpeices. However, unlike COD, Wolfenstine spaces these out in a significant manner. For the majority of a level, the player is free to approach the game as they see fit. The only time the gameplay is punctuated by a non-interactive cutscene is during the beginning or end of a level. This allows for the player to have an enjoyable time interacting with the mechanics of the game whist still getting the story driven experience through in game diolog or through the spaced out cutscenes.

---------------
Well, that went on longer than expected. Anyway, I still appreciate your work, and I look forward to seeing your current projects. I understand that it probably is to late in the development process for you to change TD:E's design philosophy, but I though I my through in my 2 cents anyway.

P.S. The large weapon models in TD:PL make the mod look like a bad console port. Large weapon models only really exist to free up framerate for console because the geometry is hidden behind them. On PC, they just obscure the vision.

Xx1Talon1xX

Mexicans, Mexicans Everywhere!

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 10:47 PM    Msg. 143 of 402       
Sorry for the $h!t post, but....

MatthewDratt

CE3 - Takedown - HaloCE3.com

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 11:13 PM    Msg. 144 of 402       
for tl;dr: tdpl had to many cutscenes

The issue with Takedown: Project Lawson was
1) Development Cycle
2) BSP

Since you made a post that was an hour long so will I for a responce

1) Development Cycle
The development for Takedown: Project Lawson was beyond utter chaos. Takedown: Project Lawson originally started as a reboot for my 2009 map called "Takedown." Until 2011, it was still called TakedownV2. After 2011, I realized just how much everything has changed from the original Takedown I made in 2009, and decided to forget that ever existed. At this time I was still using stock danger canyon bsp. In 2012, I kept working on the map as usual until I realized that I still had beyond months of work to do and the level itself wasn't fun in any way. The original script was just 1 huge long script with no breaks in it at all, so it was beyond a mess to find anywhere in the script that I was working with. In November of 2012, I completely restarted the project, but this time I decided to add to the Danger Canyon bsp. This was my first BSP ever (thats why I only added to it). With this reboot came a re-write of the script. Since I already knew what worked and what didn't story/gameplay wise, I reworked the script to give me a better way to work my story in (there was essentially no exposition in the original script - it was all just to be explained later). This was about the 3rd/4th time I rewrote the script. Once I was half happy with it, I put it on lock down so I would finish the map. Within 8 months, I finally released Takedown: Project Lawson.

2) BSP
The amount of cutscenes also are in there no just because of a crazy development cycle that boggled down everything script wise, and rewriting the story 4 times, but also because of the BSP.

Danger canyon is not a big BSP, so backtracking is a must for any decently lengthed level. Rally Point Alpha will still be much like how it was in Project Lawson for Extermination. But much like TD:PL, it will be completely skipable if that's not your thing. However, the first cutscene in Rally Point Bravo is so long because before I rewrote the script, that was the start of the map. It's so long and (semi) action packed because that was literally how the map opened (It also got dead Lawson troops scattered around the map). The next 2 cutscenes (going inside the base- exposition- and back) didn't exist the first time around. In the old script(s), there was nearly no exposition at all. This was me trying to find a way to get it in this story somehow. Was it forced? Yes. The next cutscene (flood) is there to backtrack the player. The warthog run (on rails) may not exist like that in TD:E, but there will still be some "scripted moments" (as I like to call them) in TD:E. They do take away some control away from the player but at the same time allow me to really get an action-packed high energy scene going on. These were mixed in terms of feedback but they aren't 100% gone. The next cutscene (lawson right before snipers) was probably one of the first cutscenes I got done (before 2012 restart). It was a bit of character development, but the cutscene was cut down A LOT from the original script (during the re-write in 2012). This is because I felt like it was a bit of a force and honestly gave away a bit of a twist(?). The next cutscene (walking through the structure) was to back-track the player even further back. The next cutscene (jumping over spirits) was to get the AI pass the spirits because AI are stupid. The next cutscene (enforecer) traps the player for an encounter. The next cutscene (enforcer vs peli) gives the player a weapon. Then there was a cutscene after you pressed the panel to reset the AI, but I managed to figure it out and actually cut that one (see deleted scenes on my Youtube channel). The next cutscene (lawson vs brute) gets the player in the boss battle. THe next one (sentiels come out) was only there because I couldnt get the stupid sentiels to pop out without forcing it horribly. I didn't want it and I still don't want it. The next cutscene (karner runs after patriachus) is there because I needed to reset patriarchus' biped. The next cutscene (karner drops down) gets the player off a 'death' jump. The next cutscene (end) ends the map.

As you can see, a lot of these cutscenes only happen because the BSP needed it and because of script re-writes. Some AI resetting could have been avoided with a different BSP.

In short- TD:E has custom BSP so in most Rally Points there might be an opening cutscene, a short middle one, and an end one.

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 12:24 AM    Msg. 145 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
for tl;dr: tdpl had to many cutscenes

The issue with Takedown: Project Lawson was
1) Development Cycle
2) BSP

Since you made a post that was an hour long so will I for a responce

1) Development Cycle
The development for Takedown: Project Lawson was beyond utter chaos. Takedown: Project Lawson originally started as a reboot for my 2009 map called "Takedown." Until 2011, it was still called TakedownV2. After 2011, I realized just how much everything has changed from the original Takedown I made in 2009, and decided to forget that ever existed. At this time I was still using stock danger canyon bsp. In 2012, I kept working on the map as usual until I realized that I still had beyond months of work to do and the level itself wasn't fun in any way. The original script was just 1 huge long script with no breaks in it at all, so it was beyond a mess to find anywhere in the script that I was working with. In November of 2012, I completely restarted the project, but this time I decided to add to the Danger Canyon bsp. This was my first BSP ever (thats why I only added to it). With this reboot came a re-write of the script. Since I already knew what worked and what didn't story/gameplay wise, I reworked the script to give me a better way to work my story in (there was essentially no exposition in the original script - it was all just to be explained later). This was about the 3rd/4th time I rewrote the script. Once I was half happy with it, I put it on lock down so I would finish the map. Within 8 months, I finally released Takedown: Project Lawson.

2) BSP
The amount of cutscenes also are in there no just because of a crazy development cycle that boggled down everything script wise, and rewriting the story 4 times, but also because of the BSP.

Danger canyon is not a big BSP, so backtracking is a must for any decently lengthed level. Rally Point Alpha will still be much like how it was in Project Lawson for Extermination. But much like TD:PL, it will be completely skipable if that's not your thing. However, the first cutscene in Rally Point Bravo is so long because before I rewrote the script, that was the start of the map. It's so long and (semi) action packed because that was literally how the map opened (It also got dead Lawson troops scattered around the map). The next 2 cutscenes (going inside the base- exposition- and back) didn't exist the first time around. In the old script(s), there was nearly no exposition at all. This was me trying to find a way to get it in this story somehow. Was it forced? Yes. The next cutscene (flood) is there to backtrack the player. The warthog run (on rails) may not exist like that in TD:E, but there will still be some "scripted moments" (as I like to call them) in TD:E. They do take away some control away from the player but at the same time allow me to really get an action-packed high energy scene going on. These were mixed in terms of feedback but they aren't 100% gone. The next cutscene (lawson right before snipers) was probably one of the first cutscenes I got done (before 2012 restart). It was a bit of character development, but the cutscene was cut down A LOT from the original script (during the re-write in 2012). This is because I felt like it was a bit of a force and honestly gave away a bit of a twist(?). The next cutscene (walking through the structure) was to back-track the player even further back. The next cutscene (jumping over spirits) was to get the AI pass the spirits because AI are stupid. The next cutscene (enforecer) traps the player for an encounter. The next cutscene (enforcer vs peli) gives the player a weapon. Then there was a cutscene after you pressed the panel to reset the AI, but I managed to figure it out and actually cut that one (see deleted scenes on my Youtube channel). The next cutscene (lawson vs brute) gets the player in the boss battle. THe next one (sentiels come out) was only there because I couldnt get the stupid sentiels to pop out without forcing it horribly. I didn't want it and I still don't want it. The next cutscene (karner runs after patriachus) is there because I needed to reset patriarchus' biped. The next cutscene (karner drops down) gets the player off a 'death' jump. The next cutscene (end) ends the map.

As you can see, a lot of these cutscenes only happen because the BSP needed it and because of script re-writes. Some AI resetting could have been avoided with a different BSP.

In short- TD:E has custom BSP so in most Rally Points there might be an opening cutscene, a short middle one, and an end one.

okei okei yeha but i dont get eet????

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 04:45 PM    Msg. 146 of 402       
Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail Dratt. It's good to see that TD:E will have it's gameplay interrupted far less that TD:PL. Also, your explanation to exactly why there were so may cutscenes in TD:PL was very interesting, and I can see why the limitations of the BSP and game engine would have caused the level have to be designed in such a way. I'm looking forward to TD:E even more now after hearing what you had to say.

MatthewDratt

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 07:51 PM    Msg. 147 of 402       
I was looking through some old tweets (god I was autistic) but I found out that "Takedown (2009)" had a sequel called Takedown: Infection. https://twitter.com/MatthewDratt/status/3410098331

Interesting... I hope Dratt finishes this
Edited by MatthewDratt on Feb 12, 2015 at 07:51 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 10:07 AM    Msg. 148 of 402       

I was looking through some old tweets (god I was autistic) but I found out that "Takedown (2009)" had a sequel called Takedown: Infection. https://twitter.com/MatthewDratt/status/3410098331

Interesting... I hope Dratt finishes this
Edited by MatthewDratt on Feb 12, 2015 at 07:51 PM

You should finish it for him.

MatthewDratt

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 10:22 PM    Msg. 149 of 402       
Takedown: Project Lawson Version 1.2 will be out in about 2 hours from this post

Downloads will be up here:
http://mattdratt.com/takedown-projectlawson/

So did you fix everything?
No. I just got tired of people not realizing there is a V1.1 because it's not on Halomaps, so I was gonna just upload V1.1 to Halomaps, but then I realized there was a tad more things I could easily fix.

Wait, there was a V1.1?
Yes.

Does this new 1337 version include A+ OS shaders?
No. Takedown: Project Lawson and Takedown: Extermination share two separate tag folders. I'd have to move TD:PL over to my new TD:E folder, and that's gonna take forever. I do plan on doing it around the time of TD:E's release, but as of now, shaders remain the same.

Quote: v1.2 (2/23/15)

-Bipeds: Fixed an issue that caused the lights on the Spartans to clip
-Weapons: Carbine animations re-adjusted to not clip with a 90 degrees field of view
-Rally Point Alpha: A bug causing Karen to talk over herself has been fixed
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Re-adjusted Nova during the final cutscene
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Patriarchus' accuracy has been toned down
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Patriarchus' shields have been lowered
-Credits: Removed survey website

V1.1 (6/9/14)

-Bipeds: Replaced biped models with models rigged by Dumb AI
-Weapons: BR is more powerful
-Weapons: Brute shot damage decreased
-Weapons: Mangum model replaced with Zteam's model
-Weapons: Magnum rate of fire increased
-Weapons: AR, BR, SMG and Sniper rifle animations re-adjusted to not clip with a 90 degrees field of view
-Vehicles: Ghost boost has been removed
-BSPs: Added new ground bitmap for Danger Canyon
-BSPs: Danger Canyon has been re-welded
-BSPs: Slight UV changes for interior structures in Danger Canyon
-Globals: Fall damage has been decreased
-UI: Startup menu now shows version number
-UI: "Return to Main Menu" added to startup menu
-UI: The startup menu will no longer close if you hit escape
-PreAlpha: On-screen text stacks
-Rally Point Alpha: The next chess player line cannot be activated until the current line is finished
-Rally Point Alpha: On-screen text at the beginning has been removed
-Rally Point Bravo: The game will teleport the player out of an area if they get stuck behind an invisible wall
-Rally Point Bravo: Secondary starting weapon has been replaced with the magnum
-Rally Point Bravo: There is a weapon drop
-Rally Point Charlie: Lawson no longer will get in the warthog
-Rally Point Charlie: A dropship has been removed
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Sentiels now come in when Patriarchus' sheilds are damaged, instead of being on a timer
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Patriarchus' rate of fire has been slowed down before the sentiels come in
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Under any circumstance, Patriarchus will run away as soon as his sheilds are down
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Plasma Rifle crate has been repositioned
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Plasma Rifles appear as soon as the fight begins
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Patriarchus' shields have been increased
-Rally Point Foxtrot: Patriarchus will no longer die from headshots
-Rally Point Foxtrot: You will automatically have the BR as a secondary weapon instead of having to pick it up
-Rally Point Alpha-Foxtrot: All bugs dealing with 90 degrees field of view have been fixed. Going over 90 degrees field of view remains untested
-Rally Point Bravo-Foxtrot: Survival pack has been removed and replaced with the standard health pack

V1 (7/20/13)
-Map Release

Like I said, this should be on Halomaps next update or so
Edited by MatthewDratt on Feb 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM

killzone64

Too many hobbys not enough time

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 09:36 AM    Msg. 150 of 402       
damn XD i keep forgetting about that bsp you need. ill try to get it done in a few days.

MatthewDratt

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 06:51 PM    Msg. 151 of 402       

Sometimes while fighting Covenant, you just need to take a relaxing dip

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 09:49 PM    Msg. 152 of 402       
I too find pantomiming swimming in submerged vehicles relaxing.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 10:29 PM    Msg. 153 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel

Oh thank God I thought I was the only one.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 10:48 PM    Msg. 154 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel

Oh thank God I thought I was the only one.

I thought he was rowing.

Xx1Talon1xX

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 04:49 PM    Msg. 155 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: michaelwilliam
When is this coming out..

Probably in time for CE3 2015, considering he is the host and he might want to have something big as an announcement release that can be a sure thing. But much sooner would be nice too :D

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 10:56 AM    Msg. 156 of 402       
Just tried out the map, water 50/10

Xx1Talon1xX

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 12:51 PM    Msg. 157 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker

Extermination?
If so, how long was your first run?
Or is it mouth sealed?

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 12:58 PM    Msg. 158 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xx1Talon1xX

Extermination?
Or is it mouth sealed?

Play for your self, it's not a waste of time as your shrink might say.

Xx1Talon1xX

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 01:06 PM    Msg. 159 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xx1Talon1xX

Extermination?
Or is it mouth sealed?

Play for your self, it's not a waste of time as your shrink might say.

It's not available, did you mean Project Lawson?

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 01:20 PM    Msg. 160 of 402       
Yes, apologies for the confusion. LRL

MatthewDratt

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 05:40 PM    Msg. 161 of 402       

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 05:59 PM    Msg. 162 of 402       

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 07:55 AM    Msg. 163 of 402       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYoeoQAuLo&feature=youtu.be

This really works? Like 4real? No phantom gay popping collision or clipping?

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 03:09 PM    Msg. 164 of 402       
That's not Takedown: Extermination.
Edited by MatthewDratt on Mar 6, 2015 at 03:09 PM

WWLinkMasterX

subliminal message.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 06:27 PM    Msg. 165 of 402       
You're trolling, right?

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 10:18 PM    Msg. 166 of 402       
YOUR OPINION DOESN'T MATTER! LEAVE THE BUGS! HELL! ADD MORE!

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 01:28 AM    Msg. 167 of 402       

Super Flanker

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 07:47 AM    Msg. 168 of 402       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-rfLmhK7c&feature=youtu.be

You drive like lindsay lohan matt. :)

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 12:05 PM    Msg. 169 of 402       
The only issue with it is that the turret still spins 360 degrees and the AI ends up shooting and destroying the wraith.

Here is the script if you have a destroyable wraith

(script continuous turrets
(if
(= f_wr1_tu1_on 1)
(begin

(objects_attach wr1 "turret_attach" item01 "")
(objects_detach wr1 item01)

(object_data_set_real wr_tu1 "position" x (object_data_get_real item01 "position" x))

(object_data_set_real wr_tu1 "position" y (object_data_get_real item01 "position" y))

(object_data_set_real wr_tu1 "position" z (object_data_get_real item01 "position" z))

(if
(= (unit_get_health wr1) -1)
(begin
(object_destroy wr_tu1)
(sleep -1)
)
)
) )
)

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 12:21 PM    Msg. 170 of 402       
Is there a way to make turret rotate to vehicle's direction?

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 12:36 PM    Msg. 171 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Is there a way to make turret rotate to vehicle's direction?

Well the front of the turret would always face forward with this script I think, so I just need to know how to stop it from rotating 360

teh lag

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 12:47 PM    Msg. 172 of 402       
Well the front of the turret would always face forward with this script I think, so I just need to know how to stop it from rotating 360

You can also lock the sub-objects' orientation with OS scripts. TSC:E used this for the Phantoms and for the Ball Shade.

(global object curr_subobject_parent none)
(global object curr_subobject_child none)
(global string curr_subobject_attach_marker none)

(script static void subobject_update
(objects_attach curr_subobject_parent curr_subobject_attach_marker marker_test "")
(objects_detach curr_subobject_parent marker_test)

(object_data_save_vector marker_test "position" 0)
(object_data_save_vector marker_test "forward" 1)
(object_data_save_vector marker_test "left" 2)
(object_data_save_vector marker_test "up" 3)

(object_data_set_vector curr_subobject_child "position" 0)
(object_data_set_vector curr_subobject_child "forward" 1)
(object_data_set_vector curr_subobject_child "left" 2)
(object_data_set_vector curr_subobject_child "up" 3)
)

(script continuous wraith_updater
(set curr_subobject_parent wraith_1)
(set curr_subobject_child wraith_1_turret)
(set curr_subobject_attach_marker "turret")
(subobject_update)

;; more wraiths go here
)

You'll need an invisible object in your map named "marker_test" (same deal as the object in Kirby's script). It allows the script to get the world-space position + orientation of a marker on an object.

You'll need some other stuff to clean up subobjects if the parent body has been deleted (or damaged). We checked whether unit_get_health returns -1. IIRC, OS' object_data_get_real also returns -1 for non-existent objects now, so that would be a more general-purpose way of doing it.
Edited by teh lag on Mar 7, 2015 at 03:19 PM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 02:46 PM    Msg. 173 of 402       
I don't really understand how to use this script.. I get error this is not a valid object name: marker_test "")

teh lag

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 03:18 PM    Msg. 174 of 402       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
I don't really understand how to use this script.. I get error this is not a valid object name: marker_test "")

You'll need an invisible object in your map named "marker_test" -- sorry, I forgot to mention that part. It allows the script to get the world-space position + orientation of a marker on an object.

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 11:29 PM    Msg. 175 of 402       
Cool. I'll check that out.

Also I need a skybox. I don't care if it's custom, or a rip, or from another map, ect. I just need a sunny skybox to fit my beach encounter. No Halo ring, though that can always be removed. I don't care if its H3/R/ODST/4. But I find those too hard to import myself so I dunno

Page 5 of 12 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 12 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 14, 2017 7:39 PM 469 ms.
A Halo Maps Website