A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Anniversary BSP and model extraction

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev
Author Topic: Halo Anniversary BSP and model extraction (54 messages, Page 2 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: May 25, 2014 11:35 PM    Msg. 36 of 54       
He has the model files, just not in a readable format.

UHWArby

PIPO vive

Posted: May 26, 2014 04:36 PM    Msg. 37 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Quote: --- Original message by: Megatron

A question to those who view this thread;

How would one be able to extract the updated BSP's from Halo Anniversary, as well as the models for the characters, vehicles, and scenery objects into a format that 3DSmax is capable of reading?

What tools are available for this, and how would somebody convert these resources into a format readable by 3DSmax?

EDIT: Also, can it be possible for Halo CE to render them in either the same way Halo Anniversary would, or better?
Edited by Megatron on Dec 26, 2013 at 03:54 PM

So far, there are NO tools that can do this. Some people did manage to extract some content but I really doubt those people will be sharing their secrets anytime soon.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2m67ccn.jpg
Done.

more pics :D

UHWArby

PIPO vive

Posted: May 26, 2014 05:06 PM    Msg. 38 of 54       
Huh... I think it wouldn't hurt if I posted this again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu68ud34RJw

Wow... now just need to flycam to see this animation when the helmet is removed

Megatron

Working on something good.

Posted: May 26, 2014 06:19 PM    Msg. 39 of 54       
Anything else hidden in Halo Anniversary that we can't possibly find without taking these measures?

Megatron

Posted: May 26, 2014 07:12 PM    Msg. 40 of 54       
A lot of textures have easter eggs... fo example, the proto-gravemind has the faces of 343i developers, and some terrain textures have names.

Actually, those faces can be found in-game, and seen even in the cutscene.
Edited by Megatron on May 26, 2014 at 07:13 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: May 27, 2014 10:47 AM    Msg. 41 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: UHWArby
Huh... I think it wouldn't hurt if I posted this again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu68ud34RJw

Wow... now just need to flycam to see this animation when the helmet is removed

Jesus, playing an xbox on a old ass flickering CRT monitor? Insta-fail.

Megatron

Posted: May 27, 2014 12:38 PM    Msg. 42 of 54       
I extracted a few because I'm buzy but look at these:
http://i.imgur.com/ipjZv87.png
http://i.imgur.com/lZ4zX7L.jpg

Parts of its skin look pale like the original version. That said, what gives it the green coloring when it's ingame?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 28, 2014 03:29 AM    Msg. 43 of 54       
I extracted a few because I'm buzy but look at these:
http://i.imgur.com/ipjZv87.png
http://i.imgur.com/lZ4zX7L.jpg

Parts of its skin look pale like the original version. That said, what gives it the green coloring when it's ingame?

From whatever ripping I've done across halo games, its probably controlled through a cc map or colored specular input. The prior seeming more likely

ShadowSpartan

Posted: May 28, 2014 11:33 PM    Msg. 44 of 54       
I don't need much... just to know the basic format... the rest I can figure out :P
Also, it's a little annoying that he's like "hey look I have all this stuff but I don't want to tell you how I did, I just want to make you jealous "
I will figure it out sooner or later and share it, but he could give me a clue at least

Funny how you seem to have forgotten that it was not complete extraction, only partial, hence why I have held back from releasing it. I cannot give you details of a format that I have not completely documented yet. I probably would not do so anyway because I am the one that did the research, and as such I would be the one releasing a tool.

I refuse to release something that is not complete. Yes I have enough documented to extract some models, but there is still work that needs to be done.

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Is there a model file for chiefs face too?

There is no model for the face.

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: May 28, 2014 11:56 PM    Msg. 45 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: ShadowSpartan
I don't need much... just to know the basic format... the rest I can figure out :P
Also, it's a little annoying that he's like "hey look I have all this stuff but I don't want to tell you how I did, I just want to make you jealous "
I will figure it out sooner or later and share it, but he could give me a clue at least

Funny how you seem to have forgotten that it was not complete extraction, only partial, hence why I have held back from releasing it. I cannot give you details of a format that I have not completely documented yet. I probably would not do so anyway because I am the one that did the research, and as such I would be the one releasing a tool.

I refuse to release something that is not complete. Yes I have enough documented to extract some models, but there is still work that needs to be done.

Does this mean you are not dead yet? All joking aside by "refusing to release something that is not complete" does that mean that you are still actively working on it and planning some tool for release?

ShadowSpartan

Posted: May 29, 2014 12:18 AM    Msg. 46 of 54       
Quote: --- Original message by: General_101
Does this mean you are not dead yet? All joking aside by "refusing to release something that is not complete" does that mean that you are still actively working on it and planning some tool for release?

Yes, that is the plan.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: May 29, 2014 10:02 AM    Msg. 47 of 54       

Quote: --- Original message by: ShadowSpartan
-snip-

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a tag equivalent? (.tpl/template)
http://i60.tinypic.com/kbr2g9.png
Isn't it the .gbxmodel equivalent or at least a tag containing it? This is the only format I've seen apart from the PICT (texture) one...
There are references to the chief's face texture inside some of them...
Edited by The Doctor on May 29, 2014 at 06:56 AM

No, there are no model files that reference that face texture directly. There is no model for the face, I have checked extensively.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a tag equivalent? (.tpl/template)
Isn't it the .gbxmodel equivalent or at least a tag containing it? This is the only format I've seen

Yes, one could consider that to be the equivalent of a gbxmodel. However, you are mistaken if you think that is the only other format in those containers. That leads me to believe that you are just brute-forcing it like you did for the bitmaps, which is not a good way to go about it.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: May 29, 2014 11:13 AM    Msg. 48 of 54       
blah blah blah Halo anniversary blah blah blah derp derp derp

greg079

channeling my inner april fool

Posted: May 29, 2014 11:22 AM    Msg. 49 of 54       
shadow spartan is still around, dang! on a serious note, how goes progress on documenting the extraction process?

ShadowSpartan

Posted: May 29, 2014 01:10 PM    Msg. 50 of 54       
Wait... what map have you checked? pak_stream or d40?

The pak_stream.s3dpak file is not a map. I have looked inside all of the s3dpak containers, and only two of them have the face texture (d40 and pak_stream). Neither of those contain a model that actually uses the texture. And before you ask, there is no untextured face in the cyborg model or the helmet model used in the last cutscene. Like I said, I checked extensively. There is no face model.

I've been "brute-forcing" because when I started I had absolutely no idea what to do with metadata. Once I understood that the textures were some kind of .dds files in DXT5 it was much more logical and easy.

Not all of them are DXT5. If you really want to get started with understanding these files properly, then write a tool to extract the bitmaps. After that, you will be ready for something more advanced. I know before that you said you were just beginning to learn C#, so you should be starting with something small.

I supposed that it was like a compacted version of multiple tags, like for example a compressed version of a .weapon with the .gbxmodel and some other tags that are not imported from the old engine.

There are no tags in the s3dpak files. A tag exists solely in the Blam engine, not in the Saber engine. The only data from the original games that is stored in the s3dpak files is the pixel data for bitmaps, everything else is for the Saber engine. The original map files (which have been slightly modified) are used for the underlying Halo 1 engine that the game is using. The Saber engine is just running on top of the Halo 1 engine.
Edited by ShadowSpartan on May 29, 2014 at 01:20 PM

Megatron

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 05:37 PM    Msg. 51 of 54       
Why does Halo Anniversary need to use the Halo 1 engine to begin with? Why not make a new one? :P

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 05:39 PM    Msg. 52 of 54       
Why does Halo Anniversary need to use the Halo 1 engine to begin with? Why not make a new one? :P

So it retains the exact same gameplay?

Unethical Nightmare

Think first before acting

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 05:50 PM    Msg. 53 of 54       
They probably thought people just wanted the same exact Halo again but with new graphics, and using a same game engine would save them time to develop the game.

TheLegend117YT

Posted: May 24, 2019 07:53 AM    Msg. 54 of 54       
Hey shadow spartan. I have been looking through tons and tons of threads and pages for at least 2 months, to try get some models from anniversary (only because I'm porting it to android with Unity 3D) I've even tried using things like quickbms or trying to search through halomaps. I've seen you've extracted the bsp for silent cartographer? Could you send the map file to me? Please? I won't ask how you did it but all I really wish for is at least one anniversary map. I'm having to use the halo CE maps and we probably have to wait till mcc on pc comes to extract cea and halo 2 anniversary assets. If you want, I'll put my email naiemali1171987@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 18, 2019 8:54 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website