A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »GMax, meet your successor on the cloud... ...?

Author Topic: GMax, meet your successor on the cloud... ...? (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 03:46 AM    Msg. 1 of 17       
So I found this new free online 3D modeling program called Clara.io.

Apparently, it's in a free beta which you can register to test out, and it allows people to create models as OBJ files. It's fairly new, since it just came out last July.
Theoretically, I know this should be enough to create new models for Halo (all you'd need to do once you're done is export to an OBJ file and run it through Bluestreak or Blitzkrieg..right?). However, I'm not really sure if Clara.io would actually be a good modeling alternative for Gmax.

What do y'all think? Do you think this program could be useful?

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 07:04 AM    Msg. 2 of 17       
Sketchup will always be the superior choice though.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 10:16 AM    Msg. 3 of 17       
blender is superior to all of them. the latest iterations are just as powerful as the 3ds max suite and it makes leaps and bounds in improvements every update

http://www.blender.org/

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 10:22 AM    Msg. 4 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: DFagCommander
Or just stick with 3ds Max 8 SP3 and never have to worry about anything ever.

Why must you all over complicate this simple fact?

It's not free. Kids can't find a way to get it.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 10:28 AM    Msg. 5 of 17       
plus it can be kinda finicky on windows 7

didn't work on my desktop. worked on my new laptop though idk why

bhouston

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 10:36 AM    Msg. 6 of 17       
Hi guys!

This just pop up as a source of referrals to our website. :-) So I figured I should drop in and say hi!

If you have any questions regarding http://Clara.io , feedback on what works or what doesn't, or features we should add, I am all ears.

Some of the main benefits of Clara.io (the reason why we built it) are:

* Versions, all old versions are stored.
* Simultaneous multi-user live editing.
* Your data is always available on any device as long as you have an internet connection.
* You can easily share your scenes just by posting a link to them:

http://clara.io/player/70eabeed-7828-4969-a0c7-415c1b6030b1

We are working hard on adding and polishing our modelling tools as well.

Lastly, we will be soon releasing our V-Ray integration that allows you to render directly within http://Clara.io .

More details and tutorials are regularly posted to our Facebook page here: http://facebook.com/Exocortex

We are working hard to make this competitive with 3DS Max and Maya. Even though it is really early, we just launched the open beta in November 2013, I think we are making decent progress, mostly because we listen to people like you I think.

Best regards,
Ben Houston
Founder of Exocortex, the makers of http://Clara.io

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 10:43 AM    Msg. 7 of 17       
not really since it can be imported right into max. but what really would be the point then...

bhouston

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 10:47 AM    Msg. 8 of 17       
So just let me understand. Right now w export in a few different formats right now: OBJ/MTL, FBX, DAE (Collada), JSON (ThreeJS). But none of these are useful. For proper Halo support, one needs to export directly into the JMS format? That is the best and only one?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 01:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 17       

The JMS format is the only format accepted for conversion into a Halo model.

There are two different ways to accomplish this format. There's a DLL you can install for 3ds Max to use (versions 7 and 8) and it exports like a regular file export. In other cases this DLL won't work (newer versions of Max) in which case there's a Max Script you can run that accomplishes the same thing, it just takes longer to run.

It's hard to say which method would be best to emulate. You need pretty much an identical setup to how 3ds Max does the proprietary .max format, to convert to JMS correctly.

It would be nice if you got this working, but don't expect it to be easy.
Edited by DFagCommander on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

What my colleague here is saying, you need user plug-ins or scripts for your program so that we can write a JMS exporter to export objects to JMS for Halo CE. 3ds Max has something similar.

bhouston

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 01:44 PM    Msg. 10 of 17       
Quote: What my colleague here is saying, you need user plug-ins or scripts for your program so that we can write a JMS exporter to export objects to JMS for Halo CE. 3ds Max has something similar.

We have implemented a full scripting API for both import, custom operators/modifiers, and for exporters.

Here is the documentation on our exporter plugins and an example OBJ exporter code:

http://clara.io/learn/sdk/obj-export

Every edit you do in Clara.io results in a echo'ed command to the script log as well, so it teaches you how to script as you use the tool. :)

clonecam117

Now a professional VFX/particle effect artist.

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 02:23 PM    Msg. 11 of 17       
I will stab you with the knife you used to stab him!
Sketchup is where I learned about 3d models and textures n' stuff
will always have a place in my heart

even if it does suck

greg079

channeling my inner april fool

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 02:45 PM    Msg. 12 of 17       

that username [laughs] i wonder who it could be.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 05:09 PM    Msg. 13 of 17       
Looks cool. Ima give it a try.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 07:47 PM    Msg. 14 of 17       
Jaymax had a place in my heart... for 5 minutes then i uninstalled it and got 3DS.

renegade343

CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 02:06 AM    Msg. 15 of 17       
@Mootjuh: True, I could get 3DS Max's student version, but I'm starting college this coming fall... and I need a better modeling tool BEFORE CE3 2014 (the event which I'm making models for).
That's why I'm looking for a free and easy-to-use alternative to 3DS and GMax for modeling, JMS exporting and (if possible) seamless conversion from SketchUp.

@Cheddars: Ideally, I'd love to use SketchUp for my Halo models, since I've been modeling with it for over five years... however, you need the pro version to export into an OBJ file, and Bluestreak/Blitzkrieg hates models that were converted from SketchUp... Sadly, I think it's time I found a new home.

@Killzone: Blender would've been a good option too, if I didn't have exporting problems with it, too. I'd rather use a program that could directly and natively convert models into JMS without having to learn a whole new (imo) convoluted GUI.

@Ben: Thank you so much for coming down here to answer my question! I'm sorry about some of the people here acting so... ... well... y'know... what's the right word...

Anywho, I'm aware that Clara.io natively supports exporting to the OBJ format, but I didn't know that you could also create custom exporters (apparently?) so easily. Thank you for the link!

The only problem is... I'm not familiar with how either SketchUp or JMS's files work, so I have no clue how to even create an exporter. Like DSali mentioned before his account got deleted, you MUST use the JMS format, since it is the only model type that Halo accepts.
(This is for anyone who might have a clue) How would you go about making such an API exporter, and is that really all you would need to create a Clara.io "version" of the Blitzkrieg/Bluestreak suite?

Edited by renegade343 on Jan 8, 2014 at 02:09 AM

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 02:20 AM    Msg. 16 of 17       
Oh yeah sorry. Wasn't being serious about sketch up. Lol.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 05:43 PM    Msg. 17 of 17       
I like this been on the web, I have all my software for working on my Windows 8 partition and my Windows 7 partition for games, anime, and other fun stuff. Good to have this on the cloud since if I am in my W7 partition I can model without having to switch to W8 :)

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu September 19, 2019 10:14 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website