A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Garden and Aquarii

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Garden and Aquarii (64 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 10:06 AM    Msg. 1 of 64       
Hey guys. As you may have realize from my topic I made yesterday I've gotten the Halo CE tools back up and running once again on my machine.

While I'm heavily involved in a separate project, non-ce related, I've felt like taking some of my very limited spare time to go back and polish/finish two of my last multiplayer maps I ever made: Garden and Aquarii.

With this thread I'll be posting updates and pictures of course, but first things first:

I want to know from you guys, the players, on what you would like to see fixed from both of the maps. I know many people have played Garden but hardly have ever played the original Aquarii. For Aquarii I plan on redoing the middle "circle" section and revising the other middle area that had some water. Garden's layout will stay the same for now but some things may change. My main focus is Aquarii as of right now, but obviously like I said, Garden is up on the table too.

If you don't know what Aquarii is, here are some pictures from its heavily unfinished state:

The map is a heavy mix of Rat Race and Chirlon from the original Halo, with its own aesthetic style like Garden. All of the textures are completed for the map by AVP Dragon, the same guy who did the Garden textures, but I plan on probably having to make some more.

Love it or hate, I'll probably be removing the music from both maps.

*I'm also looking for anyone who may be interesting in helping me use Aether for lighting, as I originally wanted (and did for Garden, DEEHunter helped) make use of it for the lightmaps.

Thanks.
Edited by Higuy on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 11:23 AM    Msg. 2 of 64       
Nice, I hope its better than that Reach Garden remake. Hope to play your re-released maps again =D

AlekosGR

ACE Moding Team (Azura Computer Entertainment)

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 11:31 AM    Msg. 3 of 64       
A nice idea would be to replace the textures. It will make the map more... 2014, no offence though, the map is awesome! I just like things nicely textured. Also, adding more goodies will make the map to really stand out! for example weapon crates, flowers, small beacons, wall paintings, everything that has to do with small scenery stuff.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 11:35 AM    Msg. 4 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: AlekosGR
A nice idea would be to replace the textures. It will make the map more... 2014, no offence though, the map is awesome! I just like things nicely textured. Also, adding more goodies will make the map to really stand out! for example weapon crates, flowers, small beacons, wall paintings, everything that has to do with small scenery stuff.

If you are referencing Aquarii, I have an entire folder full of textures already made for it :)

Does anyone have any experience with the error ###ERROR reached end of file during parse ?

I seem to have this issue when exporting the BSP. Everything else, eg the glass, portals, etcetc export fine. It's been a while but I searched online and found limited results. Note that I had to extract the BSP and reconstruct some parts, but its essentially just the same thing.

PRPatxi

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 11:37 AM    Msg. 5 of 64       

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 12:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 64       
It's more like almost nothing is getting written into the Jms file.

edit - I fixed it. It was a strange material error, where as I guess the exporter was thinking there no material applied to the BSP.
Edited by Higuy on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Jan 28, 2014 01:08 PM    Msg. 7 of 64       
I believe that error is caused when you select Bitmap and then leave it as "NONE".

Anyway we better be able to get in those lawnchairs ;P

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 08:57 PM    Msg. 8 of 64       
Like I said about the middle area, I completley re did it. This new area is still kinda bland (I want to add some garden esque stuff infront of the teleporters), but also shows how open I want it to be. The top teleporter area holds the sniper rifle, and the bottom holds a overshiled and OS (randomly switches). My origional thoughts was to have a "lake" out there as well but I think I'm going to close it off with glass and make it a giant fish tank.

This should give off a feel for how alot of the rest of the map will feel (albiet, its missing good quality lighting) in terms of textures and stuff like that. Still messing with shaders also. I also added some minor stuff like player clipping to the bottom lights on the teleporters, so it's much smoother going in/out of them.
Edited by Higuy on Jan 29, 2014 at 08:58 PM

MatthewDratt

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 09:11 PM    Msg. 9 of 64       
It looks pretty bigger than I imagined

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 01:06 AM    Msg. 10 of 64       
I played beta aquaria and still have the map on my hdd I sent to turkey.... Ok I don't have it any more, but I can confirm it looks big, but isn't that big, also, if I remember correctly you could get in the chairs(?)

MatthewDratt

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 01:32 AM    Msg. 11 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: vampire_girl
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
and the bottom holds a overshiled and OS (randomly switches).

?

And overshield and open sauce. Sometimes the player will randomly pick up open sauce.

PRPatxi

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 05:47 AM    Msg. 12 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
I played beta aquaria and still have the map on my hdd I sent to turkey.... Ok I don't have it any more, but I can confirm it looks big, but isn't that big, also, if I remember correctly you could get in the chairs(?)

Dwood revives!

AlekosGR

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 06:01 AM    Msg. 13 of 64       
The floor looks kinda awful. But the rest of the shaders rock! Can't wait to play this map!

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 08:48 AM    Msg. 14 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: AlekosGR
The floor looks kinda awful. But the rest of the shaders rock! Can't wait to play this map!

Can you elaborate on what you do not like about the floor? I can easily change it, I just need to know what people may not not like about it rather than "it sucks". Thanks for the rest though, hopefully I'll have a beta with a bunch of others and I'll want as many people as possible!

Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood

nah you can't get in the chairs :<

this area is about as big as the other middle section in terms of widith, and is probably the same length as that too. Point of this area is to have a bit bigger open area to contrast with the smaller tight cooridors the rest of the map provides. I'll be adding in some other stuff to liven it up though so it isn't so empty like i stated, either some more fish takes that you can walk around or some garden beds.

Quote: --- Original message by: vampire_girl
and the bottom holds a overshiled and OS (randomly switches).

?

meant overshield + invisible lololol

AlekosGR

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 09:43 AM    Msg. 15 of 64       
Well, the place is huge and if you see the floor from distance, it's painful for the eye due to the black and white color which just doesn't fit. Also, the patern is not suitable for a map with that scale. A plate like texture with a metal surface would be just fine. But, that's just me... Other people may like it..
Edited by AlekosGR on Jan 30, 2014 at 09:47 AM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 11:53 AM    Msg. 16 of 64       
/dump

did red + blue base last night, still gotta finish a couple areas though. Also added in the middle circle area thing from the beta to the middle area.

PRPatxi

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 11:53 AM    Msg. 17 of 64       
Looking Good!

sshers4

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 11:54 AM    Msg. 18 of 64       
Remind me of black mesa

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 03:41 PM    Msg. 19 of 64       
omg hax fish tank

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 03:44 PM    Msg. 20 of 64       
I hope fishes and underwater vegetation are animated.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 03:45 PM    Msg. 21 of 64       
fishes are, i might do an animated texture for the seaweed

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 05:55 PM    Msg. 22 of 64       
I don't like the floor either, It looks to contrasted with itself (it reminds me of a sci-fi checkered floor). It might be better to make it a metal floor more like the floor of this-

This map does look good though.
Edited by ZOBI3KING on Jan 30, 2014 at 05:57 PM

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 06:08 PM    Msg. 23 of 64       
Yeah, I find the floor a bit distracting. I think it needs more trimming around the edges where it meets the walls.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 07:06 PM    Msg. 24 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING

I don't like the floor either, It looks to contrasted with itself (it reminds me of a sci-fi checkered floor). It might be better to make it a metal floor more like the floor of this-
http://cdn.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/routine_occulus.png
This map does look good though.
Edited by ZOBI3KING on Jan 30, 2014 at 05:57 PM

This seems to be the biggest complaint so far. I was going for the "checkered floor" but I might be able to take it another direction, maybe like the picture you posted. I could always go abstract to Garden-esque.

also:

Edited by Higuy on Jan 30, 2014 at 07:09 PM

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 07:18 PM    Msg. 25 of 64       
You might be able to use the checkered floor in some small rooms, but in many rooms it distracts from the rest of the scene (like the new picture you posted). Could you post a fp view of the map, the checkered floor may only be distracting off of a fp camera view. I do really like how this is looking overall and can't wait to play it too.
Edited by ZOBI3KING on Jan 30, 2014 at 07:20 PM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 07:27 PM    Msg. 26 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING

You might be able to use the checkered floor in some small rooms, but in many rooms it distracts from the rest of the scene (like the new picture you posted). Could you post a fp view of the map, the checkered floor may only be distracting off of a fp camera view. I do really like how this is looking overall and can't wait to play it too.
Edited by ZOBI3KING on Jan 30, 2014 at 07:20 PM

Thanks, add me on xfire higuy5 if you want to play in the beta I will be having soon.

Here is some FP views.

The last area I can see the checkerboard being a problem and maybe the large fish tank area. I could try changing the texture there or perhaps enlarging it.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 07:38 PM    Msg. 27 of 64       
The checkered is not as bad from a fp perspective, but some places like the ones you mentioned could use a texture swap.
EDIT: after thinking about it, maybe you could texture the floor similar to Halo Reach's New Alexandria style.

Edited by ZOBI3KING on Jan 30, 2014 at 08:53 PM

PRPatxi

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 10:23 AM    Msg. 28 of 64       
I wanna play the beta.

Cheddars

Rave to the Grave.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 12:04 PM    Msg. 29 of 64       
I actually have this texture if you want it. I made it ages ago and may need editing though.

It has a normal and specular too.

darksoldier

Helo my friend, it's time to fight ;)

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 03:40 PM    Msg. 30 of 64       
Beautiful map ! Amazin work, good job Higuy !

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 06:25 PM    Msg. 31 of 64       
Updated the tank

Horeb

bananakid

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 06:35 PM    Msg. 32 of 64       
Updated the tank

http://imageshack.com/a/img547/1048/oafp.jpg

Awesome!

Wolf_

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 09:18 PM    Msg. 33 of 64       
I like that you have created your own style. It's unique.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 1, 2014 09:59 AM    Msg. 34 of 64       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
I like that you have created your own style. It's unique.

Thanks man! How have you been?

I've got a special something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TravAXZ2C1A

Essentially caustics working in CE. Didn't take a whole lot of effort and I actually tried this a while ago for Lumoria but never got the results I wanted, but some extra thinking always does wonders! As you can see its fully animated and everything. Needs some polish, but it does the job done right.

For anyone who wants to know how its done:

I essentially made a cubemap consisting of the same caustics texture on all 6 sides, then used two light (.light tag) animated in different ways (You add the cube + animation in the gel section). You also have to make sure its pretty big, is dynamic, and both cutoff angles are 180 (Not exactly sure, but this is how the b30 gel is set up.)

If you notice under the gel section in the light there is two cubemaps you can add. For whatever reason, you can't have both at the same time and is pretty much essential to get what you want. So thats why you gotta use both, and just attach both to a scenery file. If you want to look for more reference look up the b30 folder levels\b30\devices\interior-tech-objects\holo control room display.

PRPatxi

Posted: Feb 1, 2014 10:44 AM    Msg. 35 of 64       
I've got a special something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TravAXZ2C1A

That water texture looks pretty realistic.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun December 15, 2019 6:39 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website