A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Guardian Forrest

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Guardian Forrest (40 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 01:18 PM    Msg. 1 of 40       
So for those of you who don't know back when they were making halo 3 Bungie had to cut out a level called Guardian Forest (It was meant to be place between the levels The Covenant and Cortana. It was going to be set in a huge ancient forest with a heap of forerunner buildings all nested in amongst the trees. (apparently inspired by the Ewok village in Star Wars.) the level was cut out because Bungie was running out of time, however parts of it still exist in the game. (naming the multiplayer level Guardian and the hornet air battle in The Covenant.) the parts that do exist were entire chunks cut out of the level and pasted into other levels or in the case of Guardian simply used as a multiplayer level.

anyway, getting to my point I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me make this level. of coarse we would need to make the Guardian Sentinel that is suppose to be the boss at the end of the level (Its eye can be ripped out and used as a weapon which is pretty cool.) pic here:
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126001054/halo/images/2/2f/Oxmguardian.gif

there is also some concept art for the level here:
http://halo.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/guardian/guard1.jpg
http://halo.bungie.org/images/guardian_forest.jpg
http://halo.bungie.net/online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=78157843
http://halo.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/guardian/guard3.jpg
http://halo.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/guardian/guard2.jpg
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian_%28level%29?file=H3_MP_Guardian_Env4.jpg
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 9, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 9, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 9, 2014 at 05:28 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 01:48 PM    Msg. 2 of 40       
Actually, it was going to be between The Ark and The Covenant, as you'd release the sentinels to help the UNSC and Separatists fight Truth's Fleet. But it's a cool level none the less. I'd be happy to help in any way I can with it, although my time is limited.

Unless of course you rather do Forerunner City, which IMO is an even cooler cut mission.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 02:46 PM    Msg. 3 of 40       
No, it has to be Forrest, there's just something about that Forrest that has an attraction for me, and also, there are already parts of the map that exist for me to work off. I have Halo 3 on xbox so...

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 02:56 PM    Msg. 4 of 40       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Unless of course you rather do Forerunner City, which IMO is an even cooler cut mission.

I was under the impression that that level was cut because it had grown to the point where it could have been a game unto itself.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 03:02 PM    Msg. 5 of 40       
forerunner tank

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 03:03 PM    Msg. 6 of 40       
ah well, this version is just going to be a average sized campaign level me thinks, after all this is our take on it. naturally I want to include the guardian multiplayer level and the part on The Covenant that was taken out of the map in this version but I don't intend for it to be massive, just really awesome. indecently if someone could make me a gbx model of the guardian sentinel based on the image above it would be very much appreciated.

yes, id LOVE it if I could stick a forerunner tank in the level.
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 9, 2014 at 03:04 PM

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 03:10 PM    Msg. 7 of 40       
Looks easy to model.

Masters1337

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 03:14 PM    Msg. 8 of 40       
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to help with Guardian Forest too, just of the two cut missions Forerunner city is the more interesting one to me, but there is very little about it out there.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 03:20 PM    Msg. 9 of 40       
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to help with Guardian Forest too, just of the two cut missions Forerunner city is the more interesting one to me, but there is very little about it out there.

You just need the model bro. The rest is easy.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 03:49 PM    Msg. 10 of 40       
no, the guardian map is just the beginning (or rather location of the final boss) this is going to be much more than a mere multiplayer map...

and don't get me wrong I too would love to make both maps, but as you said, there is very little out there on the forerunner city map where as Guardian Forrest has much, much more.
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 9, 2014 at 03:55 PM

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 04:00 PM    Msg. 11 of 40       
Is it just me or does it seem like Bungie decided to cut the two coolest level concepts from the game?

clonecam117

Now a professional VFX/particle effect artist.

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 04:10 PM    Msg. 12 of 40       
Don't forget about Covenant Ship from Halo 2...

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 04:34 PM    Msg. 13 of 40       
I agree, I assume its because the coolest levels always take the longest to make, and so they run out of time, we however have no such constraints so...

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 05:08 PM    Msg. 14 of 40       
none the less why do I aquire this model?

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 05:17 PM    Msg. 15 of 40       
sorry, I meant where? I know why

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 07:07 PM    Msg. 16 of 40       
can you give me a link anyway, I don't really mind too much if its a tad messy, I just want to get started, and I can do any cleaning up I think is necessary myself.

Masters1337

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 07:15 PM    Msg. 17 of 40       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
I agree, I assume its because the coolest levels always take the longest to make, and so they run out of time, we however have no such constraints so...

More like poor planning. Why we have Crows Nest and Tsavo Highway, and the Storm and Floodgate all as separate missions is beyond me. Or why these trivial filler maps were given a higher priority than the cool stuff is beyond me. Probably cause Bungie felt people would be upset if we didn't get to fight to save the earth (which we never did in h3 anyway, we just spent 4 missions to get to one location to take out an AA gun)

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 07:32 PM    Msg. 18 of 40       
something like that im sure, however, WE can do ANYTHING on halo custom edition (within reason) so if your upset about something that's missing, build it!
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 9, 2014 at 07:33 PM

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 07:33 PM    Msg. 19 of 40       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

More like poor planning. Why we have Crows Nest and Tsavo Highway, and the Storm and Floodgate all as separate missions is beyond me. Or why these trivial filler maps were given a higher priority than the cool stuff is beyond me. Probably cause Bungie felt people would be upset if we didn't get to fight to save the earth (which we never did in h3 anyway, we just spent 4 missions to get to one location to take out an AA gun)

One good thing that came from this though is that it is a good example of what not to do if you're, say, re-imagining one of Bungie's Halo campaigns . Silver linings are everywhere, it seems

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 10:18 PM    Msg. 20 of 40       
lets make our own guardian forest

with blackjack, and hookers
Edited by rcghalohell on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 9, 2014 10:37 PM    Msg. 21 of 40       
that's the general Idea, although I also want to add in the Guardian map as the final boss arena and as much of the concept art as possible. Also, more than anything I want to get the atmosphere right. If you can, play the map Guardian solo and listen to the background sounds, the lighting is also crucial. the map has a very particular atmosphere to it and I want to convey it as much as possible throughout the level.

So yes, could someone please send me the model for halo 3 guardian.

Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 10, 2014 at 03:12 PM

So today I thought I would make a start on the map, Its looking pretty good already, i've sort of gone for a test and built something that hints at one of the concept artworks. I built a cache file out of it so if you want to grab a copy of the map just PM me your email and Ill send you the file.

oh yes, because this map is deleted content it isn't relevant in the overall halo story. (something I try to keep all my maps to) So I thought up this idea that you play as an ODST whose helljumper pod fell of course during the initial insertion into delta halo, and so he ends up in this mysterious forest and needs to find a clearing where he can radio for help... I have the tags for the ODST but i've made the map so you play as a spartan for now just because the ODST's jumping ability's are crap.
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:26 PM

antiblood

Hail satan, smoke mehth

Posted: Feb 13, 2014 05:40 PM    Msg. 22 of 40       
ILL ever since I read about this map I thought dammnn I wish it wasn't cut and I wanted to play it so badly but if this is for real then I'd be perrrddyy happyy

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 08:45 PM    Msg. 23 of 40       
hey, If you want to try the map ive been working on PM me ya email and ill send you a copy:

Masters1337

Posted: Feb 15, 2014 10:21 PM    Msg. 24 of 40       
So do you have a level plan for what you want to do with it?

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 02:48 AM    Msg. 25 of 40       
A vague one yes. nothing concrete. the only thing I'm sure of is that the middle of it is going to contain the part of the map that was moved into a different campaign map and the end where the guardian is will be the guardian multiplayer map.

So far:

Masters1337

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:15 AM    Msg. 26 of 40       
Interesting. I'd heavily suggest an area for snipers. One of the things I loved about the snipers in Sierra 117 and NMPD in ODST was having all the nooks and crannies to place snipers. Also, the original Guardian Forest level was suppose to be somewhat like Exodus in Reach, with a heavy emphasis on flying from one location to another. I don't know if these pics are just part of an area you go to, or if you were unaware of the levels original intent.

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:36 AM    Msg. 27 of 40       
Add some connecting branches for the sniper areas and the flying from parts of the level to the next would be nice, but how would you work that into a story "there is a lone ODST that we should save using the assets chief needs at the moment." Maybe have an emphasis on cqc and sniping. Also will the player be fighting forerunner stuff the whole time or will the player fight covenant? I don't know how you would have the air combat parts make sense unless you maybe use banshees (but if the ODST has a banshee or any flying vehicle, couldn't the ODST just fly away).

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 01:06 PM    Msg. 28 of 40       
simple, because this is cut from the game we set it on delta halo where one of the hell diver ODST's is knocked of course and now has to fight his way through a jungle full of forerunner structures and sentinels to find a clearing where he can radio for evac. snipers are pretty ineffective against sentinels by the way. however I've added constructors, enforcers and gold sentinels (which drop sentinel beams)

Ive also added a few crashed banshees from elites that were shot down by enforcers or something similar, I intend it so that you will be able to fly one of those at certain points. the pics I showed were just of the beginning of the level.
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 16, 2014 at 01:09 PM

RazorHog

@TheGrubbWorm Woo Pig Sooie Y'all

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 06:09 PM    Msg. 29 of 40       
This sounds like a great idea. I love whe new custom levels are made from scratch with an alternate story. (which is why I love forgotten Exile)

I'd be very interested in playing this and not to sound like a dehydrated gamer but I did a review for STKFT for Lone and it covered everything in good detail from story to point of views and angles of enemies and compressed it to about 2 pages. So, if you need a diffrent point of view from someone who isn't a bad ass level designer, I'll be Jennifer Lawrence and volunteer as tribute.

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 07:35 PM    Msg. 30 of 40       
What I would really love right now is if someone could make me a biped model and animations of the guardian:

Also, razorhog, If you want to get a look at what the level is like so far (first BSP only) which is complete, but unpolished then PM me an email address and ill send you a copy, tell me what you think of it.

as for why the ODST cant fly away, as long as the guardian is operational then the sentinels are coordinated this means that nothing can fly very far without being shot down. so, the guardian needs to be destroyed so that Evac can come in to pick the ODST up.
Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 16, 2014 at 07:56 PM

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 08:26 PM    Msg. 31 of 40       
I can try to make the model for you, no promises on textures and animations though. Will the ODST play like it does in Halo 3 ODST?

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 11:31 PM    Msg. 32 of 40       
The ODST has animations from the master chief. it also has a shield and health so its somewhere between halo3 ODST and halo combat evolved. just the model would be great. I can do the rest.

Sorry, just a quick update. I have given the ODST a Halo3 ODST HUD and removed the health. (except for a bit at the start, because if you don't have health there then you will die of fall damage.)

Edited by Jobalisk on Feb 17, 2014 at 01:42 PM

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Feb 26, 2014 04:03 AM    Msg. 33 of 40       
r you going to use Open Sauce? it dose look nice tho

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Feb 26, 2014 01:13 PM    Msg. 34 of 40       
Well, I am going to allow people to extract the map files. so...
I'm not going to make a .yelo file though. but yes. It will be open sauce

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Feb 26, 2014 01:53 PM    Msg. 35 of 40       
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're going to make a .map file that has some OS features if you have OS installed like spv3 a50 .map? If it is a OS map and uses OS only scripts, I would think it would have to be a .yelo.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 27, 2020 11:49 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website