A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »HCEA Texture Requests

Page 2 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: HCEA Texture Requests (159 messages, Page 2 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 11:04 AM    Msg. 36 of 159       
As he said, he can't fully extract the BSPs so I doubt he can get you reliable polycounts for them

greg079

channeling my inner april fool

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 12:10 PM    Msg. 37 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
As he said, he can't fully extract the BSPs so I doubt he can get you reliable polycounts for them

i figured the same, but if it's mostly intact then any fixing and optimizing could put it around the poly count of the extracted model right? (because those distant plants are a waste of polies.)

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 01:12 PM    Msg. 38 of 159       

Not true, the BSPs are pretty much intact (at least B30 was).

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
May I know the poly count of b30 anniversary?

According to Blender, the face count is 1.1 Million for B30.

Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
Maybe it's better if we didn't know what happened to them. Like the Mayans.

Sure, lets go with that, haha.

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Are you going to be ingaming all this stuff too?

I doubt that I would be in gaming anything myself.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 02:35 PM    Msg. 39 of 159       
I could try helping ingame and optimize some stuff if you want. (Except bsps, i suck at bsps and they look like there overlapping.)
also, whats exactly wrong with the helmet on chief?
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Feb 16, 2014 at 02:37 PM

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:12 PM    Msg. 40 of 159       
I don't think you're gonna be able to get any of these bsps ingame. Idgi, you want to optimize a 1.1 million triangle bsp to something halo can handle? You'll end up having something close to the original b30. Unless there is something that vastly increases the poly limit that I don't know about.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:20 PM    Msg. 41 of 159       
how the hell does the 360 handle 1.1 million anyway?

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:21 PM    Msg. 42 of 159       

It's not like whole BSP is displayed at same quality all the time.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:28 PM    Msg. 43 of 159       
Well in Ani if you clip the camera through the level, you can see the entire thing, at least on AOTCR. I don't know the specifics of how it renders everything.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 03:36 PM    Msg. 44 of 159       
I believe the halo games are built and upgraded upon depending on current tech/what the console can handle. Which is why Halo 1 starts bugging out when they poly count hits a certain high. Halo 2 used new tech on the Xbox, and also helped out with its low res textures (but just by looking at the levels in the game you can see bungie set the bar to high and hense made the game look terrible.). Halo 2 in bungies eyes was an Xbox 360 quality game. Halo 3 and the rest use the new console, which widely opened the door for very high quality assets.

greg079

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 04:02 PM    Msg. 45 of 159       

low quality mpimaps and LODs, plus 480x360 resolution is probably the only way.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 04:27 PM    Msg. 46 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: greg079

low quality mpimaps and LODs, plus 480x360 resolution is probably the only way.

I think portals will help too (not sure how well that actually works but whatever)

benjimod

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 07:57 PM    Msg. 47 of 159       
Hi , I will like the ground of timberland (of halo cea ) and the silent cartographer cliff texture please :)

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 02:59 PM    Msg. 48 of 159       
Holy cow! If you can get me the Forerunner textures and BSPs for the Forerunner-themed levels (emphasis on b30 and b40), I would sing your name through the ages. Poets will write of you. Bards will sing of you. Warriors returning from battle will drink to your name.

greg079

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 05:24 PM    Msg. 49 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Holy cow! If you can get me the Forerunner textures and BSPs for the Forerunner-themed levels (emphasis on b30 and b40), I would sing your name through the ages. Poets will write of you. Bards will sing of you. Warriors returning from battle will drink to your name.

i know i'm no warrior (IRL) but i'd sure as heck drink to that

sshers4

Posted: Feb 17, 2014 05:28 PM    Msg. 50 of 159       
Okay soo what about a30 skybox.

Choclate Thunda

My BS meter agrees... -Hud Artist/Creator-

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 12:19 AM    Msg. 51 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: ShadowSpartan
Quote: --- Original message by: klasher1000

Bitmaps for the Assault Rifle
Edited by klasher1000 on Feb 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM

It's the same exact texture as the Halo 3 Assault Rifle, nothing exciting there.

Any forerunner textures with the same UV's as a stock bitmap.

I took a quick peek at all of the forerunner textures, and I think only a handful would even match the UV's of existing Halo 1 BSPs. Most of the bitmaps are specific to the new geometry that Saber created.

Quote: --- Original message by: ElijahB1
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
Quote: --- Original message by: AlekosGR
*waiting for a tutorial*..

I'm gonna show HaloWaypoint the MC's face in HD with a tutorial on how to extract it. You can use it to extract the rest... but... to avoid copies of my work, I'll blur part of the video until I think it's safe to show it.

Enjoy that ban lol.

And why would blurring parts of the video make it safe/unsafe? People have known how to do this for a pretty long time, just takes ages and there is no automation...

(Maybe working on that last bit though)

Well, there is a tool that automates it all, it just isn't public. I made a tool about a month after the release of the game for the bitmaps, but I didn't see a point in releasing it without a 100% working model extractor as well. Most of the bitmaps are model specific, and thus will do no good to the average person on here.

Before anybody asks, I only have partial model extraction working for the game, hence why I haven't released anything for the game yet. Here is a render of the chief model working except for the helmet portion:

http://shadow.modacity.net/hcex_chief.jpg

I don't need the helmet but could you please pm that MC to me, please? It would help advance in my CEA mod, which I plan to show off but we are missing the biped to show off anything good yet.

Also to The Doctor:

Any and all HUD elements, specifically numbers, icons, meters, etc. and what not.
Edited by Choclate Thunda on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Oskarmandude

Make Halomaps Fully Hectic Again

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 03:36 AM    Msg. 52 of 159       
I am the only one working on this stuff, and constantly being compared to and criticized for stuff from Zteam makes me not want to give anything out.

At that, don't you think that keeping your stuff private will, um, continue your reputation as a former Zteam member?
Edited by Oskarmandude on Feb 18, 2014 at 03:37 AM

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 09:10 AM    Msg. 53 of 159       
Personally, I'd be more excited to see the source code than the actual tool.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 03:02 PM    Msg. 54 of 159       
Inclined to agree with Banshee. Either that or the research notes. Get that done and maybe Adjutant can be a far more useful tool than it is at the moment.

#ShadowSpartan4President

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 04:07 PM    Msg. 55 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Oskarmandude
http://i.imgur.com/w5bVTbZ.gif
At that, don't you think that keeping your stuff private will, um, continue your reputation as a former Zteam member?
Edited by Oskarmandude on Feb 18, 2014 at 03:37 AM

I am not going to be an open book, especially since I get attacked over a lot of stuff that was not my doing. This forum is full of misinformed people who like to jump on the hatred bandwagon whenever someone has something that they want. You are an example of the problem by telling me to "deal with it". It really is ridiculous that this stuff continues to happen.

Problem is, he doesn't deserve his current reputation. Before his innocence is proven, he won't contribute to anything. Which is understandable. In other words, show some respect and he will respect you.

Thanks, happy to see that someone else sees my point of view.

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Inclined to agree with Banshee. Either that or the research notes. Get that done and maybe Adjutant can be a far more useful tool than it is at the moment.

That is not going to happen. I will not release source code, nor any "research notes". Also, I will not contribute anything towards Adjutant because I do not approve of how it has come about, in particular how it is using some of my code/research which I had no choice in, as well as the fact that he used Detox and Anthony's app to "create" his, but gave almost no recognition to them. Everybody praised him for using other people's stuff, not caring who did the work (or how it was obtained) just as long as they got the tools for themselves, which I find appalling and a slap in the face to every programmer and researcher that does the work on their own.

Anyway, what I do have planned, everybody will benefit. I don't have a timeframe yet for release, but I'm working on it in my free time. I am focused on making new tools, rather than sustaining the old ones from the Zteam era.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 04:13 PM    Msg. 56 of 159       
I don't know why SS is taking all the blame for something CAD did, just because he was on Zteam? Give me a break, a lot of you wish to have done half the stuff SS did for the Halomaps communty.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 06:47 PM    Msg. 57 of 159       
I kinda feel bad for SS.
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Feb 18, 2014 at 07:13 PM

savinpvtmike

It's heavily inserted

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 08:17 PM    Msg. 58 of 159       
what did zteam do?
Edited by savinpvtmike on Feb 18, 2014 at 08:18 PM

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 02:52 AM    Msg. 59 of 159       
I only remember CAD posting some stuff on the forums and someone replied asking when to expect release and he responded along the lines of "This will probably stay with us." which pretty much caused a feud since he posted progress of something he had no plans on releasing to the community. I wasn't involved however I don't really care what gets released and what doesn't.

My mod probably would have never begun if it wasn't for adjutant, as it glorifies the production of high resolution assets for halo. I could not develop each and every tag myself. I am capable, however I don't plan on spending a decade to release a few maps.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 07:33 AM    Msg. 60 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

That is not going to happen. I will not release source code, nor any "research notes". Also, I will not contribute anything towards Adjutant because I do not approve of how it has come about, in particular how it is using some of my code/research which I had no choice in, as well as the fact that he used Detox and Anthony's app to "create" his, but gave almost no recognition to them. Everybody praised him for using other people's stuff, not caring who did the work (or how it was obtained) just as long as they got the tools for themselves, which I find appalling and a slap in the face to every programmer and researcher that does the work on their own.

Anyway, what I do have planned, everybody will benefit. I don't have a timeframe yet for release, but I'm working on it in my free time. I am focused on making new tools, rather than sustaining the old ones from the Zteam era.

Because learning is a terrible thing.

Things like closed source programs are such a huge step in the opposite direction for communities like this. Especially when there's only like 5 active programmers working for ce left and that number is dropping.
Edited by Banshee64 on Feb 19, 2014 at 07:38 AM

klasher1000

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 07:53 AM    Msg. 61 of 159       
It's good to see you back around SS.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 10:27 AM    Msg. 62 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64

Things like closed source programs are such a huge step in the opposite direction for communities like this. Especially when there's only like 5 active programmers working for ce left and that number is dropping.

Programming is quite easy, PHP, Java, Python, HTML, C#, C++ and Perl are relatively easy to learn, even a 12 year old can learn now a days with the internet, no University/higher education needed >.>

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 11:02 AM    Msg. 63 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi

Programming is quite easy, PHP, Java, Python, HTML, C#, C++ and Perl are relatively easy to learn, even a 12 year old can learn now a days with the internet, no University/higher education needed >.>

Programming =/= Reverse researching file formats from a video game. I can program just fine, I just want to see how the damn files work.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 11:06 AM    Msg. 64 of 159       

Learning is a terrible thing? That is yet another problem that some people have in this community, not wanting to put in at least a little effort, and instead wanting others to just hand them stuff regardless of where or who it came from. Please go and reread my post slowly to understand why I am closed source.

If you want to be open source, you can go and create your own application and release it. For me though, I am the one that put the countless time and effort into my work, so I have the right to keep it closed source if I want to.

Programming =/= Reverse researching file formats from a video game. I can program just fine, I just want to see how the damn files work.

So you don't want to put in any effort whatsoever to learn stuff on your own, you just want it to be handed to you? That is the wrong kind of mentality to have.

Programming may be easy, but figuring out how models are compressed in Halo and how to convert them into a readable format is probably not easy.

It gets easier over the years, but starting out its not easy. In the case of Adjutant, 95% of the work was done for him already, he just used other people's research/code, yet he got all of the recognition. That pushes me towards remaining closed source, because I don't want that to repeat itself again.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 11:21 AM    Msg. 65 of 159       

Learning is a terrible thing? That is yet another problem that some people have in this community, not wanting to put in at least a little effort, and instead wanting others to just hand them stuff regardless of where or who it came from. Please go and reread my post slowly to understand why I am closed source.

If you want to be open source, you can go and create your own application and release it. For me though, I am the one that put the countless time and effort into my work, so I have the right to keep it closed source if I want to.

So you don't want to put in any effort whatsoever to learn stuff on your own, you just want it to be handed to you? That is the wrong kind of mentality to have.

Programming may be easy, but figuring out how models are compressed in Halo and how to convert them into a readable format is probably not easy.

It gets easier over the years, but starting out its not easy. In the case of Adjutant, 95% of the work was done for him already, he just used other people's research/code, yet he got all of the recognition. That pushes me towards remaining closed source, because I don't want that to repeat itself again.

You have all the right to keep it closed source while I have the right to bitch about it. I've done tons of my own stuff (Halo Wars/Halo 2) But CEA in particular, I really just wanted to get an idea of how the formats work. Another thing: How is looking at someone else s code automatically mean they've put no effort into their own? It sounds like you think allowing people to see the code of your program means they will copy it exactly and call it their own, which is not the case at all.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to keep your source hidden from everybody but yourself, I'm saying it's very inappropriate to do to such a small community.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 11:34 AM    Msg. 66 of 159       
You have all the right to keep it closed source while I have the right to bitch about it.

While you do have that right, doing so puts off programmers and researchers like myself.

Another thing: How is looking at someone else s code automatically mean they've put no effort into their own? It sounds like you think allowing people to see the code of your program means they will copy it exactly and call it their own, which is not the case at all.

Yes that is the case, because it has happened time and time again in this community. That is exactly what happens, plain and simple.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to keep your source hidden from everybody but yourself, I'm saying it's very inappropriate to do to such a small community.

Inappropriate? No. If someone puts the time and effort into the work themselves, then they can do whatever they want with their stuff. They do not owe the community anything. People need to stop acting like they are entitled to stuff that others have.

I don't think many will mind if it's closed source or open source anyway. I mean, there aren't many developers here so we have no use if it would be open source or closed source.
I think the coders would want the source code so that they don't have to spend time on something that's already out.

I don't know coding myself. I am willing to learn it, but I'd rather spend my time on the graphical part of Halo modding. I mean even if you manage to extract CEA BSPs, can you ingame them correctly? It's true that coders don't get the respect they deserve.

Why don't we all just shut up and be happy he will be releasing the tools in the first place?
Edited by Mootjuh on Feb 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Yes, let's do that. Everybody should read your post a couple times.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 12:00 PM    Msg. 67 of 159       
Clearly I don't know enough about the history of people stealing programs, but that doesn't change a whole lot of what I said. Again, You don't owe anybody anything because you wrote the program, but It doesn't help anybody to just release a program with 0 information about what It does.

The community is pretty much dead anyway, There's no curve, it's not going to just spark again without some official retail update or release. But if you are really that black and white about it then that's your call. I don't know how you've come the skill you have at researching but having started learning it in 2013, It's pretty hard to get into. The most valuable learning tool for me was looking at other people's code.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 01:27 PM    Msg. 68 of 159       
SS mindset is the equivalent of a man finding a way to purify water in a rundown village in east Africa yet says to the children "you can make the purifier yourself". this is a joke

Honestly why some people even bother to keep things closed source or protected with the HEK (which is another thing) really bugs me. The community is pretty small, why not let projects be open source so people who want to take a look and try to learn from it do so? In addition to the community being small, anyone who releases a project, especially a program, should know that the community will know who "made it first".

Also SS, this a question directly for you, why do you even bother sticking around in this community if you're constantly complaining about how people don't respect you for what you've done or the people you've been with in the past? Why not take your abilities and put them to something useful rather than reverse engineering games?

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 01:55 PM    Msg. 69 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
SS mindset is the equivalent of a man finding a way to purify water in a rundown village in east Africa yet says to the children "you can make the purifier yourself". this is a joke

I have always stood by what I said before, if you want something bad enough, then just learn how to do it yourself. Thats what we did during the Zteam days, we figured stuff out on our own that nobody had done before. I am still doing that to this day, as shown by the Anniversary content. The only thing holding somebody back is their reluctance to learn new things.

Honestly why some people even bother to keep things closed source or protected with the HEK (which is another thing) really bugs me. The community is pretty small, why not let projects be open source so people who want to take a look and try to learn from it do so? In addition to the community being small, anyone who releases a project, especially a program, should know that the community will know who "made it first".

I have already explained my reasoning. And no, the people don't know that, as evidenced by the Adjutant threads.

Also SS, this a question directly for you, why do you even bother sticking around in this community if you're constantly complaining about how people don't respect you for what you've done or the people you've been with in the past? Why not take your abilities and put them to something useful rather than reverse engineering games?

Well, since I am actually good enough to not ignore you (unlike what you did to me in the other thread), I will answer your question. I enjoy working on stuff for my own personal benefit, learning how to reverse engineer and program. I just enjoy working on Halo stuff all around.

Now I have a question for you, why is it that you show up in the majority of the threads that I post it, criticize what I do and attack me for things that happened during the Zteam days? That is such childish behavior and just shows what kind of person you are. You obviously have some sort of vendetta against me that you need to get over.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 02:13 PM    Msg. 70 of 159       
Now I have a question for you, why is it that you show up in the majority of the threads that I post it, criticize what I do and attack me for things that happened during the Zteam days? That is such childish behavior and just shows what kind of person you are. You obviously have some sort of vendetta against me that you need to get over.

I have no "vendetta" against you nor Zteam (I enjoyed Zteam's work in the past, CAD even allowed me to use a couple tags from your guys old SP project).

I'm also not "attacking" you, I'm simply bothered by a part of your mindset on the subjects at hand and I am expressing my opinion by asking you why you feel to do certain things. It also seems to me that your the kind of guy that also does not like to accept criticism in any form, ala most people in this community, and whenever some do give you some criticism, you act as if its a threat or insult. This should be a habit you should get away from, and if you do not like what people are posting simply do not post at all.

Also I did not see your question in the other thread, mainly because that thread turned into a big pile of poo.

I have always stood by what I said before, if you want something bad enough, then just learn how to do it yourself. Thats what we did during the Zteam days, we figured stuff out on our own that nobody had done before. I am still doing that to this day, as shown by the Anniversary content. The only thing holding somebody back is their reluctance to learn new things.

While I can completely agree with doing things yourself, as one should always be doing, its also unproductive to not release things that you learned, aka research notes on certain subjects that people want to know. Its about the equivalent of a scientist discovering something new but keeping it to himself so he is the only know that knows how something works. It hinders advancement of the community. By the time someone figures it out and then releases it to the public, you could very well say "we figured this out first" but it wont really matter because you never released it for others to learn from and innovate from.
Edited by Higuy on Feb 19, 2014 at 02:14 PM

Page 2 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat April 20, 2019 1:21 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website