A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »HCEA Texture Requests

Page 3 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: HCEA Texture Requests (159 messages, Page 3 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 02:27 PM    Msg. 71 of 159       
There's nothing left to argue about. Let ShadowSpartan get back to his circlejerk.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 02:46 PM    Msg. 72 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
I'm also not "attacking" you, I'm simply bothered by a part of your mindset on the subjects at hand and I am expressing my opinion by asking you why you feel to do certain things. It also seems to me that your the kind of guy that also does not like to accept criticism in any form, ala most people in this community, and whenever some do give you some criticism, you act as if its a threat or insult. This should be a habit you should get away from, and if you do not like what people are posting simply do not post at all.

What mindset would that be exactly? The only one you even mention is the one about having people do the work on their own, which you just said that you agreed with. Snide remarks like the purifying water example is an attack, plain and simple.

I am able to take constructive criticism just fine, but that is not what comes from you or many others. Most of the time, it is people like you attacking me over stuff that I did not even do. I did not go around showing stuff off during the Zteam days, simple as that. And yes, calling me a "child" and telling me to "man up and take responsibility" for something that was not even my doing is an attack. Grow up and get your facts straight.

I am not going to sit by and allow myself to be attacked because people just blindly jump on the hatred bandwagon and spread around lies.

Also I did not see your question in the other thread, mainly because that thread turned into a big pile of poo.

I find that hard to believe considering the next mention of Zteam you were all over it.

While I can completely agree with doing things yourself, as one should always be doing, its also unproductive to not release things that you learned, aka research notes on certain subjects that people want to know. Its about the equivalent of a scientist discovering something new but keeping it to himself so he is the only know that knows how something works. It hinders advancement of the community. By the time someone figures it out and then releases it to the public, you could very well say "we figured this out first" but it wont really matter because you never released it for others to learn from and innovate from.

Yet again, I already explained my reasoning. I refuse to let another mess like Adjutant happen again through the use of my research. I don't care if you like it or not, it is my choice, not yours.

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
There's nothing left to argue about. Let ShadowSpartan get back to his circlejerk.

And comments like this are exactly why I am so private with my stuff. There is no denying that comment is an attack.

Do you people not realize that comments such as that is what drives people away from the community? People that can actually help advance stuff. But if they get bombarded with nothing but hatred left and right, then what is the point of helping those same people out that attacked them?

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 02:50 PM    Msg. 73 of 159       
There is nothing to criticize Shadow Spartan for. Bottom line is that it's his work that he can choose the outcome of. I've been in a similar position and seeing the community try and rip you apart because of jealousy/trolling/immaturity or just some kid who thinks he knows everything is just repulsive.

_Btcc22_

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 03:04 PM    Msg. 74 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Programming is quite easy, PHP, Java, Python, HTML, C#, C++ and Perl are relatively easy to learn, even a 12 year old can learn now a days with the internet, no University/higher education needed >.>

Generally speaking, people who makes claims like this can't program or vastly overestimate their abilities. ;)
Edited by _Btcc22_ on Feb 19, 2014 at 03:05 PM

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 03:09 PM    Msg. 75 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Aren't we supposed to ignore those trolls and not be affected by them?

Trolls are people who (often anonymously) provoke people to get a reaction.

I legitimately want him to stop posting about this. I do like how you tried to take what I said and make it look like I'm the reason you're closeting the useful things that could help people learn useful methods for getting future files extractable. Please don't reply to this with an argument, there's nothing to add; At this point I'm just restating what I've already said.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 03:09 PM    Msg. 76 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: _Btcc22_

Programming is quite easy, PHP, Java, Python, HTML, C#, C++ and Perl are relatively easy to learn, even a 12 year old can learn now a days with the internet, no University/higher education needed >.>

Generally speaking, people who makes claims like this can't program or vastly overestimate their abilities. ;)

This

They are "easy" to learn if you mean syntax, actually taking them and applying concepts and understanding the logic not so much

CAG Gonzo

Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 03:12 PM    Msg. 77 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: _Btcc22_

I wouldn't say that is the general case; PRPatxi makes a valid claim in that there are many avenues available through which many people, including those as young as 12, can learn the basics of a programming language. I'm in a volunteer organization that will be teaching some of these concepts and languages to children and middle-schoolers; we have two seven year olds signed up, and both are already familiar with a child-friendly language called Scratch.

However, programming is NOT always easy, as all who are familiar with the subject can attest. Getting back to the topic at hand, programming an extraction utility or the like isn't inherently too difficult. I am sure there are a number of obstacles to be overcome and edge cases to cover, but as mentioned previously, understanding and interpreting the model/asset format is tricky.

As a simple example, writing a program that sorts a list of numbers is easy...if you hard-code the list. If you want to read it from a file, say a CSV file, then you've got to do a bit more work to interface with the filetype and become familiar with the formal construction of that filetype in order to be able to do something useful with it.

_Btcc22_

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 03:54 PM    Msg. 78 of 159       
My main gripe is that making such a sweeping statement gives a false impression of/undervalues the amount of work that goes into producing the tools and programs used by the community, especially when the work involved requires broader skills than just programming.

It's akin to saying that maths is easy because you've just learnt addition, or that physics is easy because you can calculate mass. 12-year-olds can do those things too but it doesn't make the subjects 'easy'.
Edited by _Btcc22_ on Feb 19, 2014 at 03:56 PM

Hammad

Imagination is more important than knowledge

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 04:23 PM    Msg. 79 of 159       

_Btcc22_

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 04:48 PM    Msg. 80 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/ It's relatively easy if you have some experience in html, batch or something basic like that.

http://www.coolmath4kids.com/addition/

Without trying to be harsh, it just reinforces my point when you post such a response after claiming that you can't automate texture extraction because you don't know enough about the subject to pull it off.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 05:12 PM    Msg. 81 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: ShadowSpartan
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Inclined to agree with Banshee. Either that or the research notes. Get that done and maybe Adjutant can be a far more useful tool than it is at the moment.

That is not going to happen. I will not release source code, nor any "research notes". Also, I will not contribute anything towards Adjutant because I do not approve of how it has come about, in particular how it is using some of my code/research which I had no choice in, as well as the fact that he used Detox and Anthony's app to "create" his, but gave almost no recognition to them. Everybody praised him for using other people's stuff, not caring who did the work (or how it was obtained) just as long as they got the tools for themselves, which I find appalling and a slap in the face to every programmer and researcher that does the work on their own.

Anyway, what I do have planned, everybody will benefit. I don't have a timeframe yet for release, but I'm working on it in my free time. I am focused on making new tools, rather than sustaining the old ones from the Zteam era.

Just a small sidenote I want to add to this. Personally, I've been trying to learn coding for my practical life, additionally finding it helpful to have some practice and find someplace to start. I think I've sent you a PM personally asking if you had free time to give some pointers or tips into how to do all the extraction stuff. I also asked gravemind (who has actually returned a response saying he'd be willing to help out if I need it).

I would probably equate this to a whole "Teacher and Student" ordeal, with you being the Teacher and those of us who are willing to learn being the students. I really feel like I'd understand everything a slight bit more if I was able to actually decipher how the stuff was constructed in the first place.

Also, as another sidenote. Directly to ShadowSpartan: I wasn't around the mapping scene during the time in which CAD did his thing and everybody got angry at him for doing whatever (I actually to this day don't actually understand what it was that he did). Judging from what I see you responding to people with, I can agree that people are seemingly attacking you for menial ordeals, but at the same time it seems like you're expecting everyone to attack you, regardless if they actually are or not. I'm not criticizing you there, just making an observation. Regardless, I'll look forward towards what you plan on releasing in whatever timeframe you plan to do it.

greg079

channeling my inner april fool

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 05:28 PM    Msg. 82 of 159       
seeing all of this arguing and poo flinging makes me realize its a marvel higuy, masters, and altheros even release a thing. while i think SS has every right to keep his work to himself, i think there could be some awesome stuff if he handed off things he extracted, while working on his coding, to people capable of making the raw extractions into quality tags. while this make sound like ZTeam all over again, hopefully people would be more inclined to help each other out and/or share. it'd be better than nothing i figure.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 05:35 PM    Msg. 83 of 159       
Z team was great towards me back when they were together.
CAD helped me out with anything whenever I needed it, even let me in on what the team was up too.

Shadow Spartan to, he beta'd a lot of my biggest projects before my hiatus in 2009. I believe I even let him in on my old delta halo project. He was always there for me, even when I asked him how to get my feet wet with programming he was there.

You guys act like z team was a conceited group who in no way helped the community. I can honestly say if it wasn't for some of their advice I wouldn't possess the knowledge I hold about this engine today.

Rosanna Weyland

Up and down, and all around.

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 05:54 PM    Msg. 84 of 159       
Do you people not realize that comments such as that is what drives people away from the community? People that can actually help advance stuff. But if they get bombarded with nothing but hatred left and right, then what is the point of helping those same people out that attacked them?

You mean like Gravemind got utterly shat upon, to the point of dropping Adjutant support and leaving the community?

Oh. Right. That. Now that I think about it, weren't you one of the people wielding a burning pitchfork and screaming for blood? Seems to me that the 'mess like Adjutant' only really happened because somebody took your source code and built something from it, and rather than approach this guy and encourage him to work with you, you set up an angry mob to discourage him from doing any work at all.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and from where I'm standing, things are looking slightly fragile for you. Now, don't get me wrong, you're doing good work here and I'm not about to criticise that - but. If you're going to make statements trying to discourage people from attacking you, you may want to realise how much hypocrisy there is in those statements.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 06:06 PM    Msg. 85 of 159       
Guyz shut up. Idc if its open or closed source. You should be more thankful someones doing this on his free time.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 06:08 PM    Msg. 86 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Rosanna Weyland
You mean like Gravemind got utterly shat upon, to the point of dropping Adjutant support and leaving the community?

He dropped support because he could not figure anything else out himself, he had exhausted all of the public and leaked knowledge. I agree that people should not have been outraged about him hiding the fact that he had Halo 4 content, but I was not a part of that at all. I simply stated that he was using other people's work and taking credit for it, which is a fact.

Oh. Right. That. Now that I think about it, weren't you one of the people wielding a burning pitchfork and screaming for blood? Seems to me that the 'mess like Adjutant' only really happened because somebody took your source code and built something from it, and rather than approach this guy and encourage him to work with you, you set up an angry mob to discourage him from doing any work at all.

I am not going to work with someone that takes credit from other people and uses leaked research and code. That is what I had pointed out before in the Adjutant thread, but people like yourself said you did not care who did the actual work just as long as you got the content.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and from where I'm standing, things are looking slightly fragile for you. Now, don't get me wrong, you're doing good work here and I'm not about to criticise that - but. If you're going to make statements trying to discourage people from attacking you, you may want to realise how much hypocrisy there is in those statements.

I can say the exact same thing for you. You blindly claimed before that Zteam did nothing but ride on the backs of others, which is not true at all. I proved that wrong in the other thread, but you completely ignored it. You are actually the one riding on the backs of others (the original authors of the Adjutant codebase, as well as myself) by trying and modifying Adjutant to fix the mess that he created.

If you want to continue this, then do it in PMs. This has gone on long enough.
Edited by ShadowSpartan on Feb 19, 2014 at 06:09 PM

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 06:11 PM    Msg. 87 of 159       
He dropped support because he could not figure anything else out himself, he had exhausted all of the public and leaked knowledge.

You say that....

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 07:25 PM    Msg. 88 of 159       
You guys know you can make programs for Halo and not be an asshole at the same time, right?

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 07:43 PM    Msg. 89 of 159       
You guys know you can make programs for Halo and not be an asshole at the same time, right?

That's absolutely absurd. We're all here to steal, leech and otherwise bum Shadow's creative genius at every turn. That's why nothing ever gets released - all the programmers around here (all... five, of them?) are too busy worrying about the other four getting a hold of their content and copying it, instead of getting together and actually working as a team to get something cool written.

Shadow, I know you worked hard on Alteration. Nobody's saying you didn't. But let's face it - you're acting like a shell-shocked rape victim. Not everybody wants to steal your work, and the community would benefit from some open-sourced work being done to pull the community together as a team. Many hands make light work, and all that - your closed-door attitude only hurts everyone.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 08:00 PM    Msg. 90 of 159       
Shadow, I know you worked hard on Alteration. Nobody's saying you didn't. But let's face it - you're acting like a shell-shocked rape victim. Not everybody wants to steal your work, and the community would benefit from some open-sourced work being done to pull the community together as a team. Many hands make light work, and all that - your closed-door attitude only hurts everyone.

Funny, that shows just how little you actually know about me (and the community), yet you criticize me as if you do. I did not work on Alteration, that is the hard work of Anthony and Detox.

I did not say everybody wants to steal my work, do not put words into my mouth. How about you go and create your own application, which you can then open source if you wish? Given that there are only a handful of competent programmers left in this community, open sourcing my stuff would do little to no good. On the other hand, releasing an application with a lot of features will actually get used and benefit a lot more people.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:03 PM    Msg. 91 of 159       
It must be a personal thing. I couldn't for the life of me imagine not sharing my thoughts,ideas and discoveries with new people. It actually excites me that people would learn from what I did and go on to "better" me.
In fact that would be a best case scenario.

Rosanna Weyland

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:18 PM    Msg. 92 of 159       
I did not say everybody wants to steal my work

Then why are you acting as though everybody is suspect? Not saying something is one thing, but when you act in entirely the opposite way, with all the hallmarks of paranoia to go with it, people start wondering.

How about you go and create your own application, which you can then open source if you wish?

Taking on Adjutant to work on in my spare time would fall under that category.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:22 PM    Msg. 93 of 159       
He probably has some kind of trust issues that he can't help, I don't think it's wise arguing with him anymore. It's really a shame though that people who have so much talent in the same field can't cooperate with each other.

Quote:
I did not say everybody wants to steal my work, do not put words into my mouth. How about you go and create your own application, which you can then open source if you wish? Given that there are only a handful of competent programmers left in this community, open sourcing my stuff would do little to no good. On the other hand, releasing an application with a lot of features will actually get used and benefit a lot more people.

I take that back I have one more point I'd like to argue. I'm sure People who want to become programmers for CE or have started and are struggling would benefit greatly from the source, myself included. When I was starting out, the source of entity and hmt were very, very useful. That and having Kornman offhand to answer some of my more specific questions about how the engine handles files on an xbox.
Edited by Banshee64 on Feb 19, 2014 at 09:25 PM

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:28 PM    Msg. 94 of 159       
Then why are you acting as though everybody is suspect? Not saying something is one thing, but when you act in entirely the opposite way, with all the hallmarks of paranoia to go with it, people start wondering.

I am not. You really should stop making stuff up and get your facts straight.

Taking on Adjutant to work on in my spare time would fall under that category.

Actually no, it does not fall under that category. It is a completely different ball game making your own application. Also, Adjutant is not open source, you have chosen to keep it closed source.

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Dunno if you wany to share the info just yet, but what exactly do you have planned?

Not yet, hopefully soon though.

MatthewDratt

Meet Bullet & I. Halo: OD in Chicago 8/2-8/4

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:28 PM    Msg. 95 of 159       
Okay kids, let's play nice.

Sprinkle

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:29 PM    Msg. 96 of 159       
@Banshee64
Is that you l0dex, normally see higuy tumbling behind you with the same argument as norm. Good to see you still hiding in your cloak with your dagger and silver tongue.

How is looking at someone else s code automatically mean they've put no effort into their own? It sounds like you think allowing people to see the code of your program means they will copy it exactly and call it their own, which is not the case at all.

Looking at code and how it works, though they may not be copying anything per say, they are taking the knowledge obtained by that person that took probably took them hours to obtain. In essence instead of looking at binary data and trying to figure out how something works, they would simply be looking at nicely readable code. The bulk of the work imo is reverse engineering as it is tedious, time consuming and actually requires some intellect/intuition.

MatthewDratt

Meet Bullet & I. Halo: OD in Chicago 8/2-8/4

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:31 PM    Msg. 97 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sprinkle
@Banshee64
Is that you l0dex, normally see higuy tumbling behind you with the same argument as norm. Good to see you still hiding in your cloak with your dagger and silver tongue.

lol really?

darksoldier

Helo my friend, it's time to fight ;)

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:45 PM    Msg. 98 of 159       
There has always been conflict about release of some things. But why is it a conflict? Because, quite simply, it's the mentality of people who probably never change. Instead of working as a team to help you prefer to fight on unnecessary things. I find it all the more regrettable that a member of the "Zteam" crying about a source code. Instead of crying, you'd help and show the example. This is what you should have done from the beginning. Now, I say what I had to say, you think good or bad about me, I do not care.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:47 PM    Msg. 99 of 159       
no this is ptowery lol.

In my case the benefit isn't even the code, it's just knowing how the file formats are made up, and that information comes from the code. Information like File format maps should be well documented and made easily available to everyone imo.

This argument all boils down to the ripping/protecting argument which is just as stupid. The only difference is that people can find a way around map protection, but decompiling a program is not really possible.
Edited by Banshee64 on Feb 19, 2014 at 09:49 PM

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 09:59 PM    Msg. 100 of 159       
In my case the benefit isn't even the code, it's just knowing how the file formats are made up, and that information comes from the code. Information like File format maps should be well documented and made easily available to everyone imo.

Actually no, it comes from someone reverse engineering the data to figure it out. As Sprinkles said, the code only puts it into a nice readable format that someone else can understand. That is what people fail to realize, the amount of time and work that goes into reverse engineering stuff for these games.

You would learn a lot more by actually trying to reverse engineer something yourself rather than just have it handed to you. Then, once you have some practice with it, you will be able to reverse engineer other stuff in the future.

master noob

343Industries Advocate

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 10:38 PM    Msg. 101 of 159       
You would learn a lot more by actually trying to reverse engineer something yourself rather than just have it handed to you. Then, once you have some practice with it, you will be able to reverse engineer other stuff in the future.

give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
show a man how to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

tell a man to go fishing and he looks at you like you're some sheltered weirdo. and he starves to death. for shame.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 10:43 PM    Msg. 102 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sprinkle
@Banshee64

L0d3x is to busy slaving away at something that's actually productful rather than engaging in a stupid Halomaps debate.

Also, he lost his password for his account;

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 10:44 PM    Msg. 103 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: master noob

give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
show a man how to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

tell a man to go fishing and he looks at you like you're some sheltered weirdo. and he starves to death. for shame.

This is part of the argument I've been trying to make. Teachers and Students mark. Everybody has to start somewhere, and those with more experience, thought not obliged to, can benefit from teaching others how to do things.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 11:08 PM    Msg. 104 of 159       

Actually no, it comes from someone reverse engineering the data to figure it out. As Sprinkles said, the code only puts it into a nice readable format that someone else can understand. That is what people fail to realize, the amount of time and work that goes into reverse engineering stuff for these games.

At this point I am certain you're just skimming what I post for things to counter-argue instead of reading them. Again, I've gotten models and textures (I never actually figured out the textures) from Halo Wars and done some animation and model research for Halo 2 that had not been done before. I am very aware of the time and work and concentration that is put into getting an understanding of these formats. That's why it's so important for us to work together instead of in isolation, but I've totally given up on convincing you. I get a very condescending vibe from your replies.

ShadowSpartan

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 11:35 PM    Msg. 105 of 159       
At this point I am certain you're just skimming what I post for things to counter-argue instead of reading them. Again, I've gotten models and textures (I never actually figured out the textures) from Halo Wars and done some animation and model research for Halo 2 that had not been done before. I am very aware of the time and work and concentration that is put into getting an understanding of these formats. That's why it's so important for us to work together instead of in isolation, but I've totally given up on convincing you. I get a very condescending vibe from your replies.

No, unlike some people on this forum (not saying you) I actually read posts in their entirety. I did not think you did any work on your own because you haven't exactly been one to go around talking about it or sharing your information, yet you expect myself and others to be public with our work. I'm not going to reiterate my reasoning yet again on why I am remaining closed source. I have my reasons, and I honestly do not care if you dislike them. It is my decision, end of story.

Page 3 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat April 20, 2019 1:25 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website