A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Does anyone recognize which map this is from?

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Does anyone recognize which map this is from? (41 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:51 AM    Msg. 1 of 41       

http://techgeek.com.au/2012/05/29/halo-4-closed-beta-leaked-screenshots/

Based on the other pictures, it would seem to be legit, and not a fake image.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 11:02 AM    Msg. 2 of 41       
Longbow?

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 11:37 AM    Msg. 3 of 41       
Pretty sure it's fake. Why else would it be such bad quality? And the last picture looks like if it was painted.

Sceny

Awesome Faggot!

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 12:22 PM    Msg. 4 of 41       
Looks a bit like Vortex.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 01:51 PM    Msg. 5 of 41       
I went through the other images and IMO that shield looks so much better than the one in the final game, and it's closer to the original concept art.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 04:32 PM    Msg. 6 of 41       
I really don't understand the idea that H4 was screwed up or is the worst of the series. It does a lot of stuff fantastically better than bungie, and some stuff could have been done better (clone forerunner weapons and the Promethian themselves come to mind) but nothing actually terribly bad. In terms of Gameplay, it doesn't have the huge oversights and poor decisions H2 and Reach had, it's story is well paced and very well presented (unlike h3's 5 missions it took to get off doing errands on earth), it looks gorgeous for the most part (shotgun and MP spartans are eeeeeeek though).

On topic though, as far as I can tell, that's a screenshot of a level we didn't see in the final game, it looks nothing like anything I've seen in the game, and I do not believe it is longbow.

ZOBI3KING

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 04:34 PM    Msg. 7 of 41       
Its Longbow, top left is a tree from longbow (the picture probably was taken when the player was turning and the camera was probably unstable). Also I played the E3 demo when I was at Comic Con that year and can firmly say that I remember all those things in the screenshots being there except for the Shotgun in the loadout (they might have taken the shotgun out in the build they used at Comic Con 2012). I actually had more fun in the Halo 4 beta demo than Halo 4's finished multiplayer.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 04:37 PM    Msg. 8 of 41       
Does Longbow still have the dirt? And where is the broken structure in the final game? The tree does look very similar to the one in longbow.

Also the patch really hurt the MP, I don't understand why they wanted to speed up the gameplay.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 04:41 PM    Msg. 9 of 41       
Longbow has patches of dirt (its been a while since I've touched Halo 4) and the structure looks like part of the mountain rock thing screwed up by what I believe is either a bad picture or motion blur. Also the E3 demo only had Haven and Longbow.
EDIT: dirt

Edited by ZOBI3KING on Mar 2, 2014 at 04:43 PM

Hammad

Imagination is more important than knowledge

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 05:28 PM    Msg. 10 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
I really don't understand the idea that H4 was screwed up or is the worst of the series. It does a lot of stuff fantastically better than bungie, and some stuff could have been done better (clone forerunner weapons and the Promethian themselves come to mind) but nothing actually terribly bad. In terms of Gameplay, it doesn't have the huge oversights and poor decisions H2 and Reach had, it's story is well paced and very well presented (unlike h3's 5 missions it took to get off doing errands on earth), it looks gorgeous for the most part (shotgun and MP spartans are eeeeeeek though).

On topic though, as far as I can tell, that's a screenshot of a level we didn't see in the final game, it looks nothing like anything I've seen in the game, and I do not believe it is longbow.

I'm pretty sure most people liked the campaign... it was the MP that made people go mad.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 05:35 PM    Msg. 11 of 41       
Campaign: Cutscenes and the entire game were made too much like an action-FPS rather than a story and emotionally-driven FPS. The stupid "push button, push button, push button" and quicktime events do not belong in Halo at all. At times it seriously felt like I was playing a CoD game with a Halo skin on top of it.

Multiplayer: Horribly designed asymmetrical maps coupled with sprint, perks, and this general "faster pace" ruined the entire experience for me. There is no teamwork, no logic, nothing. The skill that you needed in Halo 3 was replaced by so much luck and idiocy that these days I can't bother to grind my teeth through another game less I have no more teeth.

The game was outstandingly beautiful though, no doubt.

And relatedly to thread, it looks to be Longbow. There seem to be bits of snow and yes, like shown, there are still patches of dirt lying around.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 05:53 PM    Msg. 12 of 41       
Yeah, you guys are right, it does appear to be longbow.

I have to disagree with you on the campaign. There were only 2 quicktime events, only one which I found lame (the end part), the elevator part was pretty neat, and it made it feel like you were exploring a broken ship in a way that you couldn't in normal movement. There were a lot more FP cinematic, but I prefer those than being yanked out of my character, and that was started in Reach anyway. I've always been disappointed with Bungie's storytelling and attempts to add emotion to the games since Halo 2, where it seems like they got cold feet, and much prefer what 343 did. The buttons are something they did have to much of, but the combat itself was the best feeling since the first game.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 08:08 PM    Msg. 13 of 41       
TLDR alert

I liked the combat of halo 4's campaign for the most part, but at times it was too up front and confrontational, there was no guerilla warfare at any point in the campaign, even when it was desperately needed. Even at the games climax on the last level when you're supposed to be rushing towards the didact, the game forces you to spend another twenty minutes grinding through impassible promethian encounters, unlike in most of the other halo games where hit and run or run n' gun tactics are the main focus of late game combat. I also wasn't very impressed with the games villain, Didact, who was a boring and uninteresting villain, epecially compared to the other video game villains we were offered in 2012 (like Vaas of Far Cry 3 or Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2). Didact had no interesting niches or features other than being the first Forerunner we've seen. He was definitely a step down from other Halo villains, seeing how the other villains in the games were all pretty interesting and had more than three cutscenes' worth of screen time.I also didn't like the whole Master Chief and Cortana "love story" or whatever you wanna call it being the focus of the game. Maybe if it was a little less cheesy or exaggerated it would've been alright, but at the end of the game when chief said "she said that to me once!!!About being a machine!!" while staring through the window like a fourteen year old after a bad break up, I wanted to strangle the writers down at 343. If it wasn't for the epilogue, with an actually entertaining monologue from the didact, I probably would've hated the ending of the game.

Edited by Delicon20 on Mar 2, 2014 at 08:15 PM

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 08:46 PM    Msg. 14 of 41       
The game has it's share of guerilla combat, most of everything until you get to the Infinity in fact. The last mission is somewhat strange, and it is somewhat of a grind but that's also the point of it, the Chief and Cortana are pushed to the breaking point on a suicide mission into the heart of the enemies, against overwhelming odds. It's a lot like the Maw in that respect, where you are pitted against enemies who are far more difficult than what you have faced throughout the game.

The Didact I enjoyed, but only after seeing the terminals and reading about him on wikia. I know 343 already has stated they could have done better with his introduction and the inclusion of the terminals, and he is a far more interesting villain than anything we had in Bungie's games (it doesn't help the only villains we had were a talking plant and Truth, who Bungie could never make up their mind up on what his motivations were, his character is like a completely different person in H2 and H3). The series is undergoing a pretty big transition in the story and imo is going to be better for it, it's only natural to take some stumbles.

I think you're missing the point about the Chief and Cortana story, Bungie advertised it as a love story for H3, which I thought was really ridiculous, especially when there was no such thing between the two hinted at in H1, First Strike, or H2. What I saw it as in 343 was the Chief only having one friend, and one person to rely upon, while Cortana was reflecting back on her life as an AI as she died, and examining what it meant to be alive. She may love the Chief, but I never saw anything from him that made me think he was in love with her, let alone if the Chief is capable of actually loving someone. Don't forget, the Chief has no one else he's ever even had as a friend other than his fellow Spartans, he's never been in a situation where he has to make his own decisions, and he's never lost someone who isn't a fellow soldier before. His quote at the end isn't even about him being sad about Cortana, it's about him finally realizing he is more than just a tool of war who's only purpose is to cary out other people's orders. (this was really started in First Strike, when he chose to not give up Johnson to ONI) Halo5Follower put out an awesome video recently that examines the Chief and Cortana's relationship in h4, which made me appreciate the story that was told even more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qn_5eMpwU

In terms of overall cheesiness, Bungie was far cheesier in their games, I liked that H4 tried to cut out the humor and do a more realistic portrayal of the universe.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 09:02 PM    Msg. 15 of 41       
Not really sure how you can even argue that Halo 4 wasn't cheesy in the MC-Cortana love story compared to H3.

Halo 3 had a very well written story, and the Cortana moments + finally getting to Cortana in High Charity are all very nice parts of the game, and its not like her dialogue is bad in any way shape or form. Halo 4 had many worse parts (the entire ending comes to mind, and quite a few other parts) and is also a drastic and very inconsistent game compared to the rest of the series, not only in the "love story", but in pretty much everything else too.

The Didact was literally a terrible character in the game. His story was actually really cool in Halo 3's terminals and Halo 4 kinda ruined it and "overwrote" the old stuff with him. Like Delicon said, he is probably one of the worse villians in the entire franchise thus far, as he has absolutely no character development within the game and is really rarely seen.

The gameplay itself within Halo 4 isn't really all that great either. Besides from the level design getting worse as the game progresses, there is no real memorable levels or gunplay, and the game adds on even more mechanics than necessary, which started right after Halo 3 (and Halo 3 included, partially). The game also adds more of what I like to call "copy weapons", which are weapon duplicates that do the exact same friggin thing as another (the forerunner guns). I also agree with ODX, as the game was more "cinematic" based and is similar to CoD in that respect.

The multiplayer however was alright and felt like regular Halo multiplayer for the most part. There isn't a whole lot to complain here but there is somethings, which can also be found in Reach. AKA Loadouts and the removal of arena style combat.
Overall it was a dissatisfying game I find.

greg079

channeling my inner april fool

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 09:17 PM    Msg. 16 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
Campaign: Cutscenes and the entire game were made too much like an action-FPS rather than a story and emotionally-driven FPS. The stupid "push button, push button, push button" and quicktime events do not belong in Halo at all. At times it seriously felt like I was playing a CoD game with a Halo skin on top of it.

Multiplayer: Horribly designed asymmetrical maps coupled with sprint, perks, and this general "faster pace" ruined the entire experience for me. There is no teamwork, no logic, nothing. The skill that you needed in Halo 3 was replaced by so much luck and idiocy that these days I can't bother to grind my teeth through another game less I have no more teeth.

And relatedly to thread, it looks to be Longbow. There seem to be bits of snow and yes, like shown, there are still patches of dirt lying around.

i agree with almost everything you posted except that i didn't like the change to the forerunner art style. the covenant architecture had a minor change, but their characters were crap. i actually like the unsc architectural style a fair bit, but i hated the overdone look of their weapons and armor, it didn't look at all practical and was pretty bad at a distance.

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 09:18 PM    Msg. 17 of 41       
halo suxs

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 09:31 PM    Msg. 18 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: greg079

i agree with almost everything you posted except that i didn't like the change to the forerunner art style. the covenant architecture had a minor change, but their characters were crap. i actually like the unsc architectural style a fair bit, but i hated the overdone look of their weapons and armor, it didn't look at all practical and was pretty bad at a distance.

To be fair, this is Promethian architecture, which is it's own whole category. It's like saying the buildings in ancient Shanghai don't resemble that of those medieval Europe. There's no reason why it should have to match that of what we've seen on the Halo's and Ark, which were all designed by the Builders.

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Not really sure how you can even argue that Halo 4 wasn't cheesy in the MC-Cortana love story compared to H3.

Halo 3 had a very well written story, and the Cortana moments + finally getting to Cortana in High Charity are all very nice parts of the game, and its not like her dialogue is bad in any way shape or form. Halo 4 had many worse parts (the entire ending comes to mind, and quite a few other parts) and is also a drastic and very inconsistent game compared to the rest of the series, not only in the "love story", but in pretty much everything else too.

The Didact was literally a terrible character in the game. His story was actually really cool in Halo 3's terminals and Halo 4 kinda ruined it and "overwrote" the old stuff with him. Like Delicon said, he is probably one of the worse villians in the entire franchise thus far, as he has absolutely no character development within the game and is really rarely seen.

The gameplay itself within Halo 4 isn't really all that great either. Besides from the level design getting worse as the game progresses, there is no real memorable levels or gunplay, and the game adds on even more mechanics than necessary, which started right after Halo 3 (and Halo 3 included, partially). The game also adds more of what I like to call "copy weapons", which are weapon duplicates that do the exact same friggin thing as another (the forerunner guns). I also agree with ODX, as the game was more "cinematic" based and is similar to CoD in that respect.

The multiplayer however was alright and felt like regular Halo multiplayer for the most part. There isn't a whole lot to complain here but there is somethings, which can also be found in Reach. AKA Loadouts and the removal of arena style combat.
Overall it was a dissatisfying game I find.

I don't see it as a love story, that's why I don't see it as being overly cheesy. Halo 3 had a terribly written story, nothing happens in it for like 5 missions, and then it gets crammed into a cutscene and 2 great missions, and 2 mediocre ones. Awesome characters like Truth and 343 suffer from only what I can describe as character assassination, taking what were once interesting duplicitous characters and dumbing them down. (in Truths case just rewriting the character all together) Then you have other characters that do incredibly stupid things, like Miranda flying her pelican in and trying to take on a pack of Brutes on her own?

Like I was saying with the Didact, he's a cool character but not well represented in the game, which 343 already came out and said they weren't happy with how they handled him in the actual game, this isn't something they plan to repeat or failed to realize.

The levels have some awesome sections, such as the exploring of the Dawn, your landing on Requiem and the crash site, the jungle in Infinity, the space station, and then of course the trench run. The copy guns were pretty lame, and 343 has explained their frustration with them too.

It's not a perfect game, and it has a lot of areas to improve, but in my book it is much more enjoyable than H2 and Reach, and does a lot of new things for the series which Bungie refused to do. It's on par with H3 for me, as it tells a much more interesting story and presents itself much better too. While H3 may have overall better level design, it fails to introduce anything really new, and when it does it barely explores it. You can tell by the time H3 came along Bungie was just wanting to move on from Halo, and didn't really put anywhere near as much effort or creativity into it. H3 really just takes Halo 2, and fixes its problems and wraps it up with a drawn out and mostly boring story for a good half of the game. As many problems as I have with H2, I applaud Bungie for trying to think outside the box and really expanding the universe and trying to do many new things with it, the same thing I like about H4 and 343.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 2, 2014 at 09:56 PM

P3

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:04 PM    Msg. 19 of 41       
Well, something that has bugged me about the whole Master chief and Cortana thing is what Bungie did in Halo 3 by over exaggerating Cortana's little, "Don't tell a girl a promise-" thingy and made it seem like such a serious thing even though at the end of Halo 2 it wasn't even presented in a way that would make it seem like it would be. I bet when they were brain storming ideas during the making of Halo 3, some dude just goes, "Oh my god guys! We should totally use that phrase and make it significant! Yeah!" Also something that annoyed me in Halo 3 is the little walking Cortana Hologram. (I think it only showed her doing that once?) It looked so retarded. -_- I thought they would stop with that, but no. In Halo 4, they made her be able to jump out from light bridges and drag people to the pits of hell. Which made it look 10 times more retarded. She just looked so silly flying through the air towards the Didact.
I would disagree with the whole over doing the Master Chief and Cortana relationship thing in Halo 4 if they didn't at the end of Halo 4 make Cortana go all "Oh mah geerd, i be waiten so long to touch u and stuff~".
I do think that Master Chief could get attached to Cortana in a way even though he would seem to not be able too because they have spent a lot of time together and yady-yada- you know the rest and stuff but you know; people tend to get attached to something that they've had for a long time or like seeing or using. For example, if you have a pet dog or cat and it gets ran over by the Antonov An-225 Mriya and it dies; I'm pretty sure you would wish you could do something to bring it back to life even though it probably didn't do anything much to benefit you but yap and leech off of you. But yeah. Halo 3 and 4 are all both pretty cheesy but in there own way and how they present their cheese.
I blame Halo 2 on crappy story build ups and resolutions. I think most of these story problems all goes back to Halo 2... -_-
Edited by P3 on Mar 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:11 PM    Msg. 20 of 41       
Cheesy, yes. That is what I was going to use to describe their story. It just felt so blah and made me groan in pain a lot. "Comon chief...take a girl for a ride :["

STOP STOP STOP NO. NO. She just sounded so overly pathetic to me as well and her wits were just so bland and not nearly as good as in Halo 1-3's writings. Doesn't matter if she's in rampancy, they just made her out to be annoying too often. A lot of the other conversations were pretty good though, but only because it was still Jen and Steve. Otherwise the relationship just felt much too different compared to from before. I really just think they made a bit too human and this "she is the human chief is machine or vice versa whaaat?" thing just wasn't for me.

P3

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:21 PM    Msg. 21 of 41       
Cheesy, yes. That is what I was going to use to describe their story. It just felt so blah and made me groan in pain a lot. "Comon chief...take a girl for a ride :["

STOP STOP STOP NO. NO. She just sounded so overly pathetic to me as well and her wits were just so bland and not nearly as good as in Halo 1-3's writings. Doesn't matter if she's in rampancy, they just made her out to be annoying too often. A lot of the other conversations were pretty good though, but only because it was still Jen and Steve. Otherwise the relationship just felt much too different compared to from before. I really just think they made a bit too human and this "she is the human chief is machine or vice versa whaaat?" thing just wasn't for me.

Oh god... That did... I can't even think of any words to put that part in other then it was terrible to the brim of terrible. That made me just want to, in a way, face palm and shake my head?

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:30 PM    Msg. 22 of 41       
It wasn't even that bad of a line for the situation

P3

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:40 PM    Msg. 23 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
It wasn't even that bad of a line for the situation

I guess not, but still...

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 10:51 PM    Msg. 24 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING
Also I played the E3 demo when I was at Comic Con that year

By any chance did you see that boy in the grunt costume?

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 11:10 PM    Msg. 25 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: P3

Well, something that has bugged me about the whole Master chief and Cortana thing is what Bungie did in Halo 3 by over exaggerating Cortana's little, "Don't tell a girl a promise-" thingy and made it seem like such a serious thing even though at the end of Halo 2 it wasn't even presented in a way that would make it seem like it would be. I bet when they were brain storming ideas during the making of Halo 3, some dude just goes, "Oh my god guys! We should totally use that phrase and make it significant! Yeah!" Also something that annoyed me in Halo 3 is the little walking Cortana Hologram. (I think it only showed her doing that once?) It looked so retarded. -_- I thought they would stop with that, but no. In Halo 4, they made her be able to jump out from light bridges and drag people to the pits of hell. Which made it look 10 times more retarded. She just looked so silly flying through the air towards the Didact.
I would disagree with the whole over doing the Master Chief and Cortana relationship thing in Halo 4 if they didn't at the end of Halo 4 make Cortana go all "Oh mah geerd, i be waiten so long to touch u and stuff~".
I do think that Master Chief could get attached to Cortana in a way even though he would seem to not be able too because they have spent a lot of time together and yady-yada- you know the rest and stuff but you know; people tend to get attached to something that they've had for a long time or like seeing or using. For example, if you have a pet dog or cat and it gets ran over by the Antonov An-225 Mriya and it dies; I'm pretty sure you would wish you could do something to bring it back to life even though it probably didn't do anything much to benefit you but yap and leech off of you. But yeah. Halo 3 and 4 are all both pretty cheesy but in there own way and how they present their cheese.
I blame Halo 2 on crappy story build ups and resolutions. I think most of these story problems all goes back to Halo 2... -_-
Edited by P3 on Mar 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

That. the whole touching thing was weird, but again I saw it her wanting to be a physical being than a love thing, although it is very strange. Even as a love thing, it makes little sense as he is encased in armor, which is why I choose to interpret it as her wanting to be something that exists in the real world (she expresses often in the game how she wishes she was real). The question they ask through the whole game is who is more human, Chief or Cortana. At the start of the game, Chief is a real being that exists in the world, but has no emotions and is simply a tool that gets stuff done (see opening cutscene), while Cortana does have feelings and emotions and thoughts about herself, but is not something that actually exists. The video I linked to earlier points out the fact that Chiefs last words to Cortana are the the first words he says in the series which are based on his emotions and what he wants, (although you could say he has expressed emotions to the other Spartans, but they are part of who he was trained to be).

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 11:18 PM    Msg. 26 of 41       
I only went on one day so probably not, but I did watch some comic con videos around that time and I remember seeing a grunt in the background.

Also as far as Halo 4 goes, it was a disappointing game. It tried to change things that didn't need changing and added things no one asked for. Mainly spartan ops and multiplayer what I hated. I could rant all day about the multiplayer, but instead I'll just leave it at I liked spartan ops episode 7 (whatever one was basically all on the infinity) and that's how I wished all of spartan ops was like. It offered varied missions that were fun (even alone). I kind of wish 343i didn't go so into the story. They ruined it for me when they showed the forerunner's face, it got rid of all the mystery of the forerunners. The Didact was nothing compared to Vaas. The Cortana story was bouncing between great/interesting and stupid/cheesy. The levels didn't really had anything that stood out and were overall boring. I did like the mission Composer though, it reminded me of the good times in Halo 1's first mission, but I found the Mantis encounter boring from repetition of combat scenarios in the area. I could go on, but I just wish there was a Halo game that focused less on story and more on fun gameplay and levels like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBs18HUZik&list=UU_NSOckDnuypJK_FpCO6ogA

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 11:24 PM    Msg. 27 of 41       
I think the big problem with SPOPS was it didn't know if it wanted to be a second campaign or a objective firefight. Ultimately, it fails at both but it did have some nice moments. I'd love to see Firefight based off of ODSTs in the next game, and just get a $20-30 second campaign where you get to play as your own squad of Spartan 4's you can customize. ODST took the best of H3 and remixed it with campaign as the sole focus, and has such awesome co-op play. I'd love to see them do that again.

P3

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 11:27 PM    Msg. 28 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING
I only went on one day so probably not, but I did watch some comic con videos around that time and I remember seeing a grunt in the background.

Also as far as Halo 4 goes, it was a disappointing game. It tried to change things that didn't need changing and added things no one asked for. Mainly spartan ops and multiplayer what I hated. I could rant all day about the multiplayer, but instead I'll just leave it at I liked spartan ops episode 7 (whatever one was basically all on the infinity) and that's how I wished all of spartan ops was like. It offered varied missions that were fun (even alone). I kind of wish 343i didn't go so into the story. They ruined it for me when they showed the forerunner's face, it got rid of all the mystery of the forerunners. The Didact was nothing compared to Vaas. The Cortana story was bouncing between great/interesting and stupid/cheesy. The levels didn't really had anything that stood out and were overall boring. I did like the mission Composer though, it reminded me of the good times in Halo 1's first mission, but I found the Mantis encounter boring from repetition of combat scenarios in the area. I could go on, but I just wish there was a Halo game that focused less on story and more on fun gameplay and levels like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBs18HUZik&list=UU_NSOckDnuypJK_FpCO6ogA

Why not both? With what your saying, people would still be complaining about not having enough of one or the other. I'm pretty sure most people want a game with good story and gameplay.

ZOBI3KING

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 12:12 AM    Msg. 29 of 41       
It would be more of an experimental thing. I just want some mindless fun games, not mindless games that take themselves seriously like COD campaigns or any new Medal of Honor. Halo could pull of a retro gameplay thing. If I had the time I would make a CE mod like as crazy as Doom, maybe combine it with the weapons of that one modded map Carthage. That would be fun, running around as a Spartan at 50 mph while using guns that would be fun.

Oskarmandude

Bosnia

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 12:49 AM    Msg. 30 of 41       
I saw it as a love story and it was an absolutely horrible idea.
I had never though of Chief-Cortana's relationship being romantic in the slightest.
Cortana is Chief's friendly, humorous (and at many times, sarcastic) assistant, not his girlfriend.

I also hate that they got rid of the humor, the interactions between Chief and Cortana weren't as charming as a result. Chief doesn't have many humorously badass lines anymore and Cortana isn't funny at all, she's just on PMS. Halo is a space opera so removing the comedic tone was ludicrous.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 01:21 AM    Msg. 31 of 41       
If halo 5
A. fleshes out the Didact (lets be honest, he's probably not dead) as a game villain, so that we don't have to read the terminals, books, and/or wiki to find him interesting

B. Gives us some damn multi faction battles and encounters where you don't have to kill every freaking last enemy and can actually slip past a few of them

C.Gives us a broader and/or less cheesy story and a script that isn't one of the more poorly written scripts of that year/season (but I mean, halo was up against games that had just purely amazing scripts like far cry 3, borderlands 2, and bioshock infinite later in march). I'd love to see some characters in the halo universe that actually feel realistic (If they put the same effort into the characters of the game as they did into the Forward Unto Dawn web series, I will eat my words come halo 5). If We just got a conflict as broad and apocalyptic as the previous halos and had some characters written more akin to the movie End of Watch (If you haven't seen this movie, just know the character development and and realism of acting is absolutely fantastic) than The Notebook, It'd be a killer story

Then I'd be totally on board for the next halo games. Other than those prime issues, the game felt pretty solid. I did feel the campaign lacked a lot in the sandbox at times but Spartan Ops more than made up for that IMO. Overall, I'm just going to wait to see how Halo 5 plays out to see if 343 can truly adopt the halo franchise as their own. They did better than I thought they would on H4, don't get me wrong, but the first sequel is where it really counts imo.
Edited by Delicon20 on Mar 3, 2014 at 01:24 AM

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 01:29 AM    Msg. 32 of 41       
I honestly felt Halo 4's story was one of the best. Halo 2 and 3 left me confused while playing and it wasn't until I went back and played through some more until I understood it and although Halo 4's story can be confusing at times, the terminals pretty much fill me in where I was like "what". Halo ODST was fine but whatever. Halo: Reach was just silly.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 02:33 AM    Msg. 33 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Not A Pervert
I thank you guys for screwing another thread about Halo 4 sucks conversation.

Well there was nothing else to talk about since the title of the thread was answered.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 09:25 AM    Msg. 34 of 41       
>bigotry general
Edited by Bungie LLC on Mar 3, 2014 at 09:25 AM

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 01:10 PM    Msg. 35 of 41       
Quote: --- Original message by: Not A Pervert
I thank you guys for screwing another thread about Halo 4 sucks conversation.
It's certainly worth bashing.

Might as well throw in my (apparently commonly agreed with) opinion.

Prometheans were frustrating to fight, and extremely repetitive. I blasted my way through the campaign in five hours, which is depressingly short. 343 obliterated the canon by entirely retconning humanity's backstory. And if you haven't read the novels, then it seems that the Covenant you defeated completely in Halo 3 has returned, seemingly at full strength sans brutes and drones, and the Elites are randomly enemies again. Campaign sucked. Inconsistent, short, irritating.

Multiplayer was ruined by Reach, and pushed even further over the edge by Halo 4. Halo started as an arena shooter, and remained that until Reach came around. Everyone started even, and you found your strengths on the map. Now you can spawn with all kinds of perks and abilities, and the original concept of what Halo's multiplayer stood for has been lost. There's no reason to pick up anything when you can sprint indefinitely, spawn with active camo and a Battle Rifle, and reload at twice the normal speed. It's ruled by loadouts now, just like every other generic FPS on the market these days.

Firefight, the only redeemable aspect of Reach, was removed entirely, and replaced with 15 minute linear missions with zero replay value.

Forge was excellent, but the gameplay was awful, so that is irrelevant.

tl:dr version, Halo 4 was a colossal disappointment. My hopes for the next game are extremely low.
Edited by Karrde on Mar 5, 2014 at 01:11 PM

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue August 4, 2020 7:04 AM 343 ms.
A Halo Maps Website