A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Adjutant News and Info!

Page 23 of 24 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · [23] · 24 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Adjutant News and Info! (820 messages, Page 23 of 24)
Moderators: Dennis

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 12:15 PM    Msg. 771 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the purpose of Adjutant? Couldn't find a real description for this

Adjutant is a program the allows the extracting (ripping) of models from the Halo Game series. This means the Halo games for the console, like 3 - 4 (not not including Halo Wars, Halo CEA and Halo 2 A). Halo 2 is sort of integrated (I believe) but Halo 2 is already on PC (Vista), so it doesn't really need to much support when it comes to model extracting.

Models that can be extracted include (but are not limited to): Character models, scenery models, weapon models, vehicles models, etc.

However, Adjutant does not support animation extraction (from any Halo game) and does not have (as far as I know) any plans on adding animation extraction support. As from what I understand, extracting animations from the Xbox Halo games is rather complex and difficult to code properly across all games. Because from what I understand, each Halo game (like Halo 3 vs Halo Reach, or Halo Reach vs Halo 4 and so on) has a different method of how animations are used.

Other then the lack of animation extraction, Adjutant also supports (a semi-newer feature) BSP extraction. Meaning you can extract the actual game level that the character model moves about on. Though in Adjutant, the BSP file is called "sBSP", it still serves the same basic function as what you see in Halo CE.

I hope this has been helpful in saying what Adjutant is and does. Let me know vis posting if anything is confusing.

Mootjuh

Hilariously derailing oneliner

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 12:22 PM    Msg. 772 of 820       
Pretty sure bit depth is not the same as pper pixel precision. For example if you have your texture in 16-bit mode there is no way to save as tga. Baking for example a heightmap even with 32-bit pixel precision still leaves an 8-bit texture. Which is noticablenfor heightmaps as they turn the whole terrain into terraces.

videoman

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 03:42 PM    Msg. 773 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Pretty sure bit depth is not the same as pper pixel precision. For example if you have your texture in 16-bit mode there is no way to save as tga. Baking for example a heightmap even with 32-bit pixel precision still leaves an 8-bit texture. Which is noticablenfor heightmaps as they turn the whole terrain into terraces.

The TIFF image format might be good, but the TGA format is a industry standard among game studios. As such, that would mean that TGA outputs a higher level of quality with the end-result texture. Otherwise, game studios would use something other then TGA if it wasn't showing high enough results with they game content.

Extreme110

That doesn't motivate me sir!

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 04:12 PM    Msg. 774 of 820       
Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the purpose of Adjutant? Couldn't find a real description for this

Just to add to what videoman talked about, it also does sound extraction which is my personal favourite feature.

videoman

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 09:49 PM    Msg. 775 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: Extreme110

Just to add to what videoman talked about, it also does sound extraction which is my personal favourite feature.

Ah right. My apologies, I forgot about that feature when talking about Adjutant. I use it mainly for model extraction, so sounds are not incredibly important to me. Even though they are nice to have. xD

@lolslayer:
There is no such thing as a dumb/stupid question. Only a stupid answer. It is the perception of the question that people base the level of intelligence of the question. However that is their fault, not the person asking the question. Asking questions is what humans have done since we were able to start questioning things in our world and the universe it resides in.

Never feel like a question is stupid. Only expect a stupid answer from people. Lol

Mootjuh

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 08:22 AM    Msg. 776 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: videoman

The TIFF image format might be good, but the TGA format is a industry standard among game studios. As such, that would mean that TGA outputs a higher level of quality with the end-result texture. Otherwise, game studios would use something other then TGA if it wasn't showing high enough results with they game content.

Most devs use TIFF actually, TGA is used for 8-bit bitmaps because BMP, as the only other alternative, sucks.

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 03:59 PM    Msg. 777 of 820       

Adjutant is a program the allows the extracting (ripping) of models from the Halo Game series. This means the Halo games for the console, like 3 - 4 (not not including Halo Wars, Halo CEA and Halo 2 A). Halo 2 is sort of integrated (I believe) but Halo 2 is already on PC (Vista), so it doesn't really need to much support when it comes to model extracting.

Models that can be extracted include (but are not limited to): Character models, scenery models, weapon models, vehicles models, etc.

However, Adjutant does not support animation extraction (from any Halo game) and does not have (as far as I know) any plans on adding animation extraction support. As from what I understand, extracting animations from the Xbox Halo games is rather complex and difficult to code properly across all games. Because from what I understand, each Halo game (like Halo 3 vs Halo Reach, or Halo Reach vs Halo 4 and so on) has a different method of how animations are used.

Other then the lack of animation extraction, Adjutant also supports (a semi-newer feature) BSP extraction. Meaning you can extract the actual game level that the character model moves about on. Though in Adjutant, the BSP file is called "sBSP", it still serves the same basic function as what you see in Halo CE.

I hope this has been helpful in saying what Adjutant is and does. Let me know vis posting if anything is confusing.

Thank you :)

videoman

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 11:12 PM    Msg. 778 of 820       

Most devs use TIFF actually, TGA is used for 8-bit bitmaps because BMP, as the only other alternative, sucks.

Well I guess it depends on who you talk to then. xD
The people who do game development that I spoken to said they use TGA files.

My main point about TIFF vs TGA is that I am wondering why UE4 only accepts TGA files, but not TIFF files.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 03:50 AM    Msg. 779 of 820       
The unreal guys get a kick out of you having to spend extra time in converting your halo textures.

videoman

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 06:56 AM    Msg. 780 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
The unreal guys get a kick out of you having to spend extra time in converting your halo textures.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or a troll. No offense if you are being sarcastic.

Extreme110

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 08:00 AM    Msg. 781 of 820       
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or a troll. No offense if you are being sarcastic.

He's joking, mate :)

This is all just fluff based on personal knowledge, but anyway;

TIFF was developed as a solution for desktop publishing and web by the company that became Adobe, whereas TGA was developed by AT&T as a general image format. Epic likely used TGA in UE 1/2 and since then it's been a legacy format.

Personally as a game developer, I've never seen TIFF images used. It's almost always BMP, PNG or TGA.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 11:12 AM    Msg. 782 of 820       
Or dds/ddn dependingly

videoman

Posted: May 21, 2016 11:35 PM    Msg. 783 of 820       
For the life of me...
I went looking for the Mammoth (Tank?) model and cannot find it. I've looked at the m60_rescue.map file and no luck. I even used the search feature and nothing. I have a feeling it's not under the "Vehicle" folder, but I could be wrong. Even so I looked there anyways.

Anyone remember where the model file is located? I started looking under m70_liftoff, but then realized that that is the level after the Mammoth appears. Any help would be appreciated.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 22, 2016 03:09 AM    Msg. 784 of 820       
If i remember right, its in the level it appears in, render model, marked under "giants". You can use adjutant's search feature, too.

Super Flanker

Posted: May 22, 2016 07:11 AM    Msg. 785 of 820       
Question:

Are the fabulous guys behind ADJ looking to extend support towards Halo Online?

Most of the tools are super buggy.

And I'm sure xander would love to get his hands on that Russian snow themed map. :D

Mootjuh

Posted: May 22, 2016 11:12 AM    Msg. 786 of 820       
Tiff support is low on Epic's priority list because there are other alternatives for texture formats. Besides they'd rather spend their time on revolutionary features

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: May 22, 2016 01:38 PM    Msg. 787 of 820       
For the life of me...
I went looking for the Mammoth (Tank?) model and cannot find it. I've looked at the m60_rescue.map file and no luck. I even used the search feature and nothing. I have a feeling it's not under the "Vehicle" folder, but I could be wrong. Even so I looked there anyways.

Anyone remember where the model file is located? I started looking under m70_liftoff, but then realized that that is the level after the Mammoth appears. Any help would be appreciated.

mammoth? Sounds like an interesting map, can you please link me to the download page?

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 22, 2016 08:49 PM    Msg. 788 of 820       
tga files are literally the simplest image file format I know of(this is coming from someone who has written routines from scratch to load/save and edit tga, dds, bmp, gif, and wmf). There is an 18 byte header followed by an optional 0-255 bytes of additional data(called the image_id), a color palette(potentially), and then the image data. The end of the file has a footer that is usually irrelevant(unless your application writes something special into it)

This is the header:
Struct("header",
UInt8("image_id_length"),
UEnum8("has_color_map",
"no",
"yes"
),
LBitStruct("image_type",
BitUEnum("format",
"bw_1bpp",
"color_mapped_rgb",
"unmapped_rgb",
"bw_8bpp",
SIZE=2
),
Pad(1),
Bit("rle_compressed"),
Pad(4),
),
LUInt16("color_map_origin"),
LUInt16("color_map_length"),
UInt8("color_map_depth"),
LUInt16("image_origin_x"),
LUInt16("image_origin_y"),
LUInt16("width"),
LUInt16("height"),
UInt8("bpp"),
LBitStruct("image_descriptor",
BitUInt("alpha_bit_count", SIZE=4),
Pad(1),
BitUEnum("screen_origin",
"lower_left",
"upper_left",
SIZE=1
),
BitUEnum("interleaving",
"none",
"two_way",
"four_way",
SIZE=2
)
)
)

The only caveat with tga is that it was intended to store the image upside down(since the computer monitor's xy origin in the the bottom left corner) and there is a single bit in "image_descriptor" which says if it's upside down or not.

Hand coding support for opening and writing the file format would be easier than any other format I can think of.

EDIT:Well, I did forget that it supports different ways to interleave the color channels and supports run-length compression of the data. Those aren't TOO bad though. Interleaving is (basically) whether or not the pixels are stored like AAAARRRRGGGGBBBB or ARGBARGBARGBARGB and run-length compression is a very simple compression method.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 22, 2016 at 09:00 PM

Extreme110

Posted: May 22, 2016 08:57 PM    Msg. 789 of 820       
Yes, the file structure is easy to deal with. That doesn't mean:

A) They want to/have the time to implement it.
B) They know people want it (I don't see it on the Unreal 4 road-map).

There's millions of images formats in the world. What's to say the Epic guys are going to know about them all, and want to implement them all? They have lots of bugs and features to be focusing on anyway.

This is the UE4 Roadmap. There's quite a lot of stuff they're focusing on right now.

videoman

Posted: May 22, 2016 09:02 PM    Msg. 790 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
If i remember right, its in the level it appears in, render model, marked under "giants". You can use adjutant's search feature, too.

Would be nice if you read my post. I said I used the search feature, and it didn't find the Mammoth model. Also which map file are you talking about? I just looked in the m60_rescue.map/Reclaimer Mission (which is where the Mammoth shows up in) file, and under the "levels" folder and nothing. Also I am looking through the map file using the "Folder Hierarchy" view and not the "Tag Class" view.

For the life of me...

mammoth? Sounds like an interesting map, can you please link me to the download page?

What? Please reread my post. Mammoth isn't a map, it's a model.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 22, 2016 09:07 PM    Msg. 791 of 820       
Oh, no I'm not saying they should implement it, just want to communicate to everyone here that it's not a difficult thing to implement. Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: Also, TGA supports ARGB_1555, _RGB_1555, RGB_888, ARGB_8888, MONO_8, and REAAAALLLLLYYYY old ones support MONO_1(1 bit per pixel, so 8 pixels per byte). It also supports palettized images with those first 4 pixel formats for the palette and up to 256 colors in the palette.

I use tga pretty heavily as the export format when I write extractors/compilers because it supports lots of stuff. It's the format I use in my Gauntlet Dark Legacy extractor/compiler.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 22, 2016 at 09:22 PM
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 22, 2016 at 09:39 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 22, 2016 10:08 PM    Msg. 792 of 820       
I just looked in the m60_rescue.map/Reclaimer Mission (which is where the Mammoth shows up in) file, and under the "levels" folder and nothing.

You mind sharing an image of the way your adjutant files are? The mammoth is considered a vehicle or giant (much like the scarab) and would be under render_model like everything else. If you're using the other view structure it would make sense as to why you wouldnt be able to find it the way im saying it would be there.

videoman

Posted: May 23, 2016 12:33 AM    Msg. 793 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
I just looked in the m60_rescue.map/Reclaimer Mission (which is where the Mammoth shows up in) file, and under the "levels" folder and nothing.

You mind sharing an image of the way your adjutant files are? The mammoth is considered a vehicle or giant (much like the scarab) and would be under render_model like everything else. If you're using the other view structure it would make sense as to why you wouldnt be able to find it the way im saying it would be there.

Based on Folder Hierarchy, the Mammoth is stored under "Vehicles" which makes sense because it's just a giant AI controlled vehicle.

Here are screenshots.

Also the "giants" folder only contains the Scarab.
Edited by videoman on May 23, 2016 at 12:34 AM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 23, 2016 02:02 AM    Msg. 794 of 820       
Man I've never worked with folder hierarchy so I'm not entirely sure how to help you there. Personally id say to use tag class (only because im used to it) and find it through the above method. But I'll look and see if maybe adjutant stores it in a weird way (fyi i dont help make the app, i just use it a ton)

ElijahB1

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 12:18 AM    Msg. 795 of 820       
Question:

And I'm sure xander would love to get his hands on that Russian snow themed map. :D

Maybe some day, but Halo 5: Forge is much more interesting tbh

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 06:23 AM    Msg. 796 of 820       
Quote: --- Original message by: ElijahB1
Question:

Maybe some day, but Halo 5: Forge is much more interesting tbh

I see your point. Good luck!

Mootjuh

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 03:03 PM    Msg. 797 of 820       
So I've stumbled upon an issue. I can't extract or play any sounds. ToWav.exe is in the helpers folder but no luck. I'm using Windows 10.

Extracting gives me this kind of error:

Error extracting sound\weapons\battle_rifle\flashlight.snd!:
--Can't find file C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpE833.wav

Edited by Mootjuh on Oct 10, 2016 at 03:03 PM

Fellow Starstuff

You are the universe enjoying itself :)

Posted: Oct 10, 2016 08:14 PM    Msg. 798 of 820       
Where can I find ToWav.exe in this site? I have .map files and Adjutant, and I'd like to extract game sounds, but I can't seem to find a safe site to download ToWav.exe from.

Super Flanker

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 06:01 PM    Msg. 799 of 820       
Going to try to avoid stereotyping but website is all in russian, so just be cautious that you don't click on something untoward.

And pre-emptive apologies if linking to mentioned site is in breach of the forum rules.

http://www.ctpax-x.org/?goto=files&show=24

Scroll down the OP slowly until you find a little floppy disc icon click on the text immediately beside it to download.

For reference the download link field is beside the field with pinkish text situated on the left.
Edited by Super Flanker on Oct 11, 2016 at 06:02 PM

vectorraptor

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 09:50 PM    Msg. 800 of 820       
hello guy this is my first time using this programme and i don't know how to open the exported file into 3ds max, for exemple i exported almost every thing in the halo 3 odst .map find there http://haloce3.com/xmf/ but the only thing that it gave me is example the smg_silenced some bitmaps and emf files that i cant open in 3ds max any idea how to "fix"

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 10:16 PM    Msg. 801 of 820       
you need to extract the models in AMF format and the bitmaps in either tiff/dds/jpg or whatever. The interface is pretty straightforward otherwise and using the scripts that the program generates, you can import everything without a single problem.

vectorraptor

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 08:17 PM    Msg. 802 of 820       
R93 thank for the reply btw but there is some file that i cant open like the mainmenu.map shared.map and campaign.map its says "error loading campaingn.map! file is invalid, unsupported or in use" any idea why?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 11:04 PM    Msg. 803 of 820       
Generally those maps are literally just shared resources if I remember right. don't bother try opening them, just open the maps with the content that you want in them.

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 05:38 AM    Msg. 804 of 820       
Adjutant comes with it's own HTML help document, where many of the answers to your questions lurk.
Edited by Super Flanker on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Kuroyasviel

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 06:30 PM    Msg. 805 of 820       
Adjutant ver 4.20 seems to not be exporting textures for me, anyone else getting this problem?

Page 23 of 24 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · [23] · 24 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat September 23, 2017 2:21 PM 2,140 ms.
A Halo Maps Website