A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Step-by-step instructions on exporting maps w/ assests?

Author Topic: Step-by-step instructions on exporting maps w/ assests? (21 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Zum0

Posted: Apr 27, 2014 12:44 PM    Msg. 1 of 21       
I realize this is probably among the most asked questions, however I have searched and searched and searched. And in my searching, I've downloaded tools such as HEK, HEK+, HMT 3.5, BSP Tag Converter... Yet I'm still unable to find any clear instructions on how to export. I've been at this now for about 7 hours non-stop. I am now giving up trying to figure this out on my own.

All I want to do is export the map itself, along with all related terrain and sky assets (no vehicles, items, etc.,) into formats acceptable to the Source SDK or, more specifically, GMod (Garry's Mod.) GMod map files are in the .BSP format (although likely heavily modified compared to the Halo CE .BSP format.) However, third-party maps are concentrated into .GMA files (addons) which contain everything about the map, such as props, materials, NPCs, vehicles, whatever (think of a .GMA file like an archive.) Again, all I need is what was mentioned before. Everything else will be added in later if needed.

So, to sum up, I'd like to know what steps I need to take in order to go from .MAP to .BSP (or something which will end up being readable by GMod). Pretty simple, right? Obviously not, considering how long I've spent trying to figure this out.
Edited by Zum0 on Apr 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Apr 27, 2014 01:23 PM    Msg. 2 of 21       
Aether

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: Apr 27, 2014 10:05 PM    Msg. 3 of 21       
Source SDK sorry but that's not halo ce so no one well help you

Zum0

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 12:07 AM    Msg. 4 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Aether

Pardon? Do you mean this? I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899
Source SDK sorry but that's not halo ce so no one well help you

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that, since I want to play a Halo CE map in GMod, no one will help me? Really?
Edited by Zum0 on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Edited by Zum0 on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM

DOOM899

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 02:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 21       
if you wood like to play this map then go download Halo Custom Edition the Game to play it and bye a halo pc key so you can play it... is that so hard!!
Edited by DOOM899 on Apr 28, 2014 at 02:45 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 02:46 AM    Msg. 6 of 21       
He wants to ingame a halo ce map to gmod, stop thinking that people are pointing a gun at this game and trying to kill it. I would actually love to know more about this too.

DOOM899

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 02:52 AM    Msg. 7 of 21       
but that's not Halo Custom Edition so there

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 02:59 AM    Msg. 8 of 21       
Fanboy...

DOOM899

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 03:09 AM    Msg. 9 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Fanboy...
do you get it's Halo Custom Edition Custom dam it Custom
so we can port newer halo things in to halo ce and lot of games into halo ce don't you get that! not Source SDK or Gmod or CRY engine 3
Edited by DOOM899 on Apr 28, 2014 at 03:13 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 03:12 AM    Msg. 10 of 21       
Not everyone is gonna follow your rules. I hope you realize that. The guy isnt saying "halo ce has no potential! Lets move to gmod" hes asking how to rip a bsp so he can port a map into gmod... not everyone likes the HEK, i hope you realize that.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 03:17 AM    Msg. 11 of 21       
Firstly, you have to download the map you want, then out it into your halo CE directory.

To convert the map, you would need a number of tools to extract and convert certain assets. Since I am on a phone, it would be a huge pain to find each tool and link them, so I'll name them and you can find them on this site using the search bar.

First, download HEK+, this will allow you to extract files from the .map

Extract the map by opening the .map in the HEK+ program. If the HEK + program doesn't run on your PC (windows 7 or Vista) right click on the .exe and set it to disable visual themes.

Once the map is open, you will see a list of files contained in the .map select and drag those into a window panel on the right side of the program that is the extraction queue.

Hit the extract button and it should begin the extraction process, saving the relevant files to the halo custom edition/tags folder. (if it asks to save a list of extracted tags, select no)

From there, the tags (name for the assets) have been extracted, now you need another set of tools to convert the files into usable formats.

Use the 'Halo BSP extractor' tool on the site to locate a file ending with the extension ".scenario_structure_BSP", it should have the same exact name as the map file you downloaded. This file is typically located in tags/levels/test/mapname or somethjng similar (use a search if you can't find it)

Use the extractor tool to select and convert the relevant BSP files; these are all the files that make up te basic level, but not the sky or any objects found inside it. The extractor program will have various options for you to use, and I'm sure you're intelligent enough to use your own settings. Typically the program extracts the model and bitmaps (textures) to the Halo custom Edition root folder, usually in the same place where the structure-BSP file was, except it would be something like: halo custom edition/data/levels/test/mapname

Notice that it is in the data folder and not the tags folder; data folder is where files are saved to when you want to compile models for the game, which then dumps them into the tags folder.

The BSP should be saved as an OBJ by now, so I'm sure you know what to do by now. If you want to convert objects in the level to a usable format, you would need the "GBX model importer 2.0" tool found in this site. And find the relevant objects (something you need a little bit of experience working with scenario files when modding the game).

If this is too much work, you could use the aforementioned Aether program, but I have no idea how it works, but I know that it can extract all objects in the scene for you. Don't know about textures, but you could use my above methods for those.

DOOM899

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 03:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 21       
Not everyone is gonna follow your rules. I hope you realize that. The guy isnt saying "halo ce has no potential! Lets move to gmod" hes asking how to rip a bsp so he can port a map into gmod... not everyone likes the HEK, i hope you realize that.

not my rules it is halo maps.. and it is not legal to port something of halo's into something that's not halo
Edited by DOOM899 on Apr 28, 2014 at 03:21 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 03:26 AM    Msg. 13 of 21       
People rip from other halo games and put it into gmod all the time, no problem here. MS wouldve responded years ago if it was an issue.

Zum0

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 04:04 AM    Msg. 14 of 21       
@DOOM899 - I have Halo CE (with a key), although now that I'm using Windows 8 I'm having compatibility issues and I do not feel like going back to Win XP or even Win 7. But all of that is irrelevant to my issue. I don't see the big deal with what I'm trying to do, why are you being so hostile?

@MEGASEAN2812 - Thank you for understanding and I appreciate you defending me.

@Jesse - Thank you very much for the information! I'll report back with my results whether or not everything works out.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 04:04 AM    Msg. 15 of 21       
No problem dude, im working on porting halo stuff into unreal engine 3 as some random thing and im also kinda helping someone with something in UE4.
I still mod halo ce though.
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Apr 28, 2014 at 04:08 AM

Zum0

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 04:39 AM    Msg. 16 of 21       
@Jesse - Good news. I'm able to open and explore the map (via OBJ) in 3DS Max 2010, however there are errors.

During the import, there are 12 errors which state the same thing:

Missing Map - Not found: black light.tga

After skipping those errors, a new error pops up in the "OBJ Import Summary" box:

Diffuse-Map not found in Material: "mapname_light_black" (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\prisoner\bitmaps\black light.tga)

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

EDIT: It seems that the issue is coming from using BSP Tag Converter. After changing format from TIF to TGA, then converting BSP, I get an error:

There was an error extracting one or more bitmaps. See the debug file for more information

In the debug file, it says:

Bitmap Extraction Error --- 28/04/2014 03:50:19
Error Number: 0
Input Bitmap: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\test\prisoner\bitmaps\black light.bitmap
Output Bitmap: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\prisoner\bitmaps\black light.tga
Error: Unknown
Note: An unknown exception has occured. Exception Data: --- Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
Action Taken: Bitmap Skipped

Edited by Zum0 on Apr 28, 2014 at 04:56 AM

DOOM899

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 04:57 AM    Msg. 17 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zum0
@DOOM899 - I have Halo CE (with a key), although now that I'm using Windows 8 I'm having compatibility issues and I do not feel like going back to Win XP or even Win 7. But all of that is irrelevant to my issue. I don't see the big deal with what I'm trying to do, why are you being so hostile?

@Jesse - Thank you very much for the information! I'll report back with my results whether or not everything works out.
I have Windows 8.1 and it's works good for it tho I like Windows 7 a lot more all you need to is update your driver to the newest ones
work's for me

as to y im so mad at what your doing I get 100 pm a day saying go cry engine 3
or go to something newer halo ce is gay it is making me so mad and I like working on halo ce I mean I just got the toothbrush working just like halo 3's did and well you get the idea that y im mad

Zum0

Posted: Apr 29, 2014 05:39 AM    Msg. 18 of 21       
Alright, I've gotten a bit further. When getting the OBJ files from the tag converter, is there supposed to be three of them? They're called:

mapname.obj
mapname_Lightmap.obj
mapname_Portals.obj

Also, am I supposed to import all three into 3DS Max, not just the mapname.obj file? I would love to Skype with someone to help with this.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 29, 2014 10:11 AM    Msg. 19 of 21       
I would like to help, my skypes megasean12281 if you want to add me. I wont be on until i get home from school though...

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: May 7, 2014 04:08 PM    Msg. 20 of 21       

not my rules it is halo maps.. and it is not legal to port something of halo's into something that's not halo
Edited by DOOM899 on Apr 28, 2014 at 03:21 AM

You should be banned for spreading ridiculous misinformation. And not even in a cool spy espionageish way.

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: May 7, 2014 06:12 PM    Msg. 21 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zum0

I have Windows 8.1 and it's works good for it tho I like Windows 7 a lot more all you need to is update your driver to the newest ones
work's for me

as to y im so mad at what your doing I get 100 pm a day saying go cry engine 3
or go to something newer halo ce is gay it is making me so mad and I like working on halo ce I mean I just got the toothbrush working just like halo 3's did and well you get the idea that y im mad

You do realize those people were mostly just trolls that are not in anyway connected to those projects, right? Not to be that one guy though but if English isn't your first language why not just use Google translate? It would more than likely be ten times better than what you have now.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 15, 2019 8:34 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website