A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »CE turns 10 today (+ general nostalgia)

Author Topic: CE turns 10 today (+ general nostalgia) (22 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sirbobbington

Posted: May 5, 2014 01:57 PM    Msg. 1 of 22       
So this is it. Halo Custom Edition was released on 5/5/2004, ten years ago today.

Ten years ago I was in the 8th grade, working feverishly on a final report while the HEK/CE install ran overnight on my computer. Today I'm a working professional with a wife and daugher who turns 3 months old tomorrow. Needless to say, it's been a hell of a ride, and I'm glad that CE has been a part of it.

So, a big happy birthday to Halo CE, and a big round of applause to the community that has kept it running all this time!

(Commence general nostalgia thread)

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: May 5, 2014 02:02 PM    Msg. 2 of 22       
10 years ago I was 10 years younger

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: May 5, 2014 02:07 PM    Msg. 3 of 22       
I was 14, 10 years ago :)

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: May 5, 2014 02:17 PM    Msg. 4 of 22       
I was 4 and playing halo 2.

AlekosGR

ACE Moding Team (Azura Computer Entertainment)

Posted: May 5, 2014 02:33 PM    Msg. 5 of 22       
I remember playing CE back in the day when I thought it was the best game in the world. Those graphics... It looked so real back then.. And now, we all want to graphicly improve it so desperetly... Times like these you realise what classic is always the best. This thread brought a tear in my eye... Let's all wish CE an other 10 years of active community!

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: May 5, 2014 02:40 PM    Msg. 6 of 22       
I'll be adding memorable moments from different maps whenever I manage to recall them. For now, I'll start with Extinction.

=EXTINCTION=
Extinction was my first forray into Custom Edition. I was blown away by the scale of it all, of the multitude of assets I had never encountered in Combat Evolved. I remember my teammates communicating with one another over the chat, calling out targets or requesting evac. It was glorious. I spent many days roaming the desert with a 20mm bolt-action, or waiting in the wreckage of downed vessels watching for any sign of movement in the distance. While I had difficulty with small, nimble targets like fighter jets, and with the heavily armored Pelicans, I became adept at bringing down most everything else. I recall killing enemy infantry at upwards of a kilometer on at least one occasion, which made me quite proud as far as in-game accomplishments go.

Once my teammate and I found ourselves against a Scarab. We had strafed it several times, and the operator was turtling inside. After a few more passes that had no effect, my teammate brought his Pelican over the walker, hopped out onto the back of it, and disappeared into its belly while I circled on overwatch. A few moments later, a message popped up over the chat informing me that the Scarab's operator had been killed, having been shotgunned at point-blank.

In another instance, I found myself in the opposite situation: I was the one in the Scarab. I was the one turtling in the hull as fighter jets strafed overhead. After being jarred by yet another missile volley, I decided it was time to abandon ship. I ran outside, up to the top, and leaped. As I began to fall, I realized that the jet had been preparing for another pass, this time much lower than before. I fired my sniper rifle as it sped closer; when I had emptied the magazine, I switched to my SMG. Somehow, this was what ended up killing the pilot. His fighter hit the ground around the same time I did.

On Extinction, establishing and maintaining air superiority can almost guarantee victory in CTF. Realizing this, a handful of allies and myself established an air defense station at the tent near the ravine. I manned a surface-to-air missile turret. Another manned a gauss cannon. Others toted anti-armor rifles and AA fuel rods. We swatted hostile aircraft almost as quickly as we saw them. This continued for some time. While our eyes had been trained on the horizon, however, we had somehow failed to notice a lone Longsword that had slipped out of the hangar undetected. By the time we realized what was happening, it was already on top of us, its thermonuclear payload already inbound. I had enough time to jump off the launcher. I ran for the tent. The last message I managed to get out was "EVERYBODY DOWN!" Then the world went white.
Edited by Echo77 on May 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: May 5, 2014 03:04 PM    Msg. 7 of 22       
ce was fun

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: May 5, 2014 03:10 PM    Msg. 8 of 22       
ce is fun

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: May 5, 2014 04:26 PM    Msg. 9 of 22       
I rode 4 miles (2 miles to and back) on my bike with my older brother (who was 18 and not able to drive at the time) to get this game at Game Stop back when I was 12 (this was back in like 2008). Then after about a half-a-year of stalking H3MT on Moddb, I ran into HDoan on some random server that was running the map, Sciophobia

(http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4204)

Since I recognized HDoan from H3MT, I instantly started fanboying over his existence of being in the same server as me. Then we got talking and he told me to get Xfire so he could add me as a friend. From that point he introduced me to Modacity and Halomaps.org, and friendships developed from there. Eventually I did beta testing for DMT, TMLP Mappack (the mappack featured on gamenight recently by Inferno), H3MT (Narrows beta, not the leaked one, but a way newer version), Dsalimander, Jesse (still do test for him), and CMT.

Here I am today, sitting back enjoying many other games and Halo PC/ CE.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: May 5, 2014 07:17 PM    Msg. 10 of 22       
As a starting point, I was first introduced through Halo Demo a few years ago. One of my friends called me up and said: "hey bro download this game it's free" because we were broke kids. I think it was the first Halo game that I played extensively besides paying $6 and hour to goof around at the local gaming lounge where I'd barely get past the first two levels of the Halo 3 campaign.

Anyway, we played a lot of 1v1's on Bloodgluch (which was the only available MP map,) before he dropped out of it and did other things. However, I played Halo Demo constantly as it was my only functioning FPS shooter game on the computer besides Battlefront 2. Just over four years ago I actually went full Halo-nerd and marathoned all the games as well as buffed up my knowledge of external lore, and can't stop.

Now I'm finally starting to make my own stuff (while first taking baby steps by doing concept art for Sean and his team) while I learn the HEK. I just have to actually take the time to pay attention to tutorials, which I haven't been doing. However, I have too many ideas and need to iron them out before this game goes to hell.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 5, 2014 07:28 PM    Msg. 11 of 22       
10 years ago i was 9, didnt know about halo

i started playing halo back in 2007/8, not CE at the time, just halo trial that me and a few friends got into our school's systems. I ended up making some bloodgulch mods for HT and we all played it whenever the admins werent paying attention. I eventually got H1PC at around 2009 and CE a few months afterwards.

I think i kept on getting hyped up into CE because you couldnt make H1PC mods that had a proper Energy Sword, Splazer or Hammer, and then i saw these CE mods doing it flawlessly, i had to make that transition. I have to admit, i was not disappointed. Though, after playing some very popular maps, i realized that a lot of the maps that people loved were poorly made but had really cool, gimmicky stuff that made it fun, and the really cool looking maps had poor gameplay, to which me and one of my friends decided to make a mapping team to correct that

Hilariously, that never really went anywhere aside from like two maps and a helluva lot of tags. I eventually got into RPing on halo, and to this day i still do that. My skills in mapping have grown quite a bit (namely animation) since i began, and i still enjoy doing stuff recreationally.

Then i laugh at everyone who says they'll move to cryengine but cant even make this engine work

Too much nostalgia for me to post more without putting out names.

Kozakuu

Only the person who was wisdom can read the most.

Posted: May 5, 2014 08:19 PM    Msg. 12 of 22       
My first experience of custom edition was being amazed by a 240p video to linkin park of a longsword spamming nukes on hugeass in 2009.
I'm not even kidding.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: May 5, 2014 09:48 PM    Msg. 13 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: Kozakuu
My first experience of custom edition was being amazed by a 240p video to linkin park of a longsword spamming nukes on hugeass in 2009.
I'm not even kidding.

old youtube was best youtube

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: May 5, 2014 10:04 PM    Msg. 14 of 22       
Sad to say my first experience with the halo franchise was not this game. It was halo 2 on one of the Chief flood levels splitscreen co-opping it and running around getting jump scared by the flood. I was engrossed, I read a lot of the novels and played all the games (except Halo:wars) soon after.
And after almost 6 years or so, the consoles with their abundance of 30fps and 60~70fov drove me strait into PC gaming. But I still wanted to play halo, so I turned to halo 2 vi... no, nevermind. I downloaded halo CE and play a few mods I found on youtube. And finally found an impressively visually overhauled spv3 T&R.

TL;DR I leik Halo, k

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: May 5, 2014 11:04 PM    Msg. 15 of 22       
i found out about CE on my birthday when i was 10 in December of 2009, i got an ipod touch and the first thing i did was go on youtube, i found a game called halo custom edition, i couldnt play it though, because i had a macintosh computer. i did play halo trial, and i enjoyed playing cryosis (v1) and some other mods. i really wanted to play ce though, so i tried learning blender on my crappy mac in 2011. the first model i did was a halo reach magnum that was really bad, it was basically a bunch of blocks mashed together in the shape of a magnum. finally in 2012 i got a windows pc, the first thing i did was get custom edition, the first match i played was a small carousel match, i did pretty good for a first match, and now finally right before i turned 13, i decided to start learning the HEK and join the halo ce community. i made a few notes of a little mod i wanted to do called the VKNG Project. and finally on May 13th, 2013, i joined the halomaps community, i did screw up and get banned, but here i am, finally working on the project i have wanted to do for such a long time.
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on May 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: May 5, 2014 11:30 PM    Msg. 16 of 22       
Here's how my story went...

I had discovered something called "Halo" on Youtube one day. I watched a vid or two, and then decided to get the game. I played it for a while (give or take couple of weeks), then I decided to join ModHalo. I began modding HPC for bit, and lurking around.

Unfortunately, I discovered that ModHalo was far from lively. It seemed like a ghost forum. Around that time, I had found out about CE, on Halomaps. Then I started to check out the content there. Eventually I ventured into the forum.

To my delight, the forum was not dead. People posted regularly and I wanted to be part of it.
I registered under the name of "Dumb AI", not knowing how often people would make fun of it. I politely asked for a map to be made, and fortunately for me, I did not get destroyed by the existing members (spiral made that map :D). From then on, I posted and checked the forum almost daily.

As I became more involved in the forum, I started to look further into the franchise, resulting in me wanting an Xbox and learning how to mod CE.

And here I am, 3 years later.
Edited by Dumb AI on May 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM

killzone64

if im not at my pc im at the racetrack

Posted: May 5, 2014 11:43 PM    Msg. 17 of 22       
in December of 2004 my friend called me over to come play this new game he got. i had no idea what it was but he was excited to have just got an xbox. when i got there he had a game already playing, it was halo 2. we spent hours playing coop, beat it in one night, and had to pull an all nighter to do so. i was amazed by the story, at that time the only sci fi i knew was star wars. the story told in halo 2 amazed me, it pulled me in and the end just left me wanting more. so i went and looked for more. and i found halo trial. and i played that single campaign mission, my old desktop could barely handle it . i used to take my desktop into the room where there was internet connection just so i could play the multiplayer. then in 2009 i found halo CE. the first custom map i played was immure. it wasn't until 2010, when i got my new laptop that i joined the mapping community. my first map i made was bloodgulch turned into a jungle. it had a pelican in it instead of the banshee. my first and only released map came out in 2011 and somehow got an 8.4 rating. obviously i had done something right despite the almost invincible hornet and the overpowered gauss hog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAUDVGn4A5U
it also featured my first custom scenery (the wall we fly over at the end of the video). since then i have made a ton of progress. thankfully i saved photos all the way back then. and thanks to photobucket i have a kewl slideshow showing my improvements over the years XD
http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/gokarter64/slideshow/halo%20pics
Edited by killzone64 on May 5, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 6, 2014 01:51 AM    Msg. 18 of 22       
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=userinfo&viewuserid=11174
This is the man that got me into it all. Used to show me his map WIP and other awesome stuff ont his site. I don't remember much, but I do remember this one map he was working on, and it has a huge cargo ship that had YEEYAY printed on the side. But that was years ago, and I haven't seen the guy since 2010.
*sits down*

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: May 6, 2014 01:55 AM    Msg. 19 of 22       
Happy birthday Halo CE!

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: May 6, 2014 09:48 AM    Msg. 20 of 22       
I remember burning CD's full of maps for my buddy who had a terrible internet connection, and hosting P2P matches to try them all out.

I remember when Custom Edition first came out (the first maps people were playing were Blood Islands, Casualty Gorge, schwinzz_alpha, and some others I can't remember the names of). I remember Nitrosoxide's old H2 PC mod on Bloodgulch, which came out after the initial H2 e3 reveal. When CE came out, he migrated to it and formed the H2CE team, who created Zanzibar before the game was even released, based on a bunch of off-screen gameplay footage and some promotional vids

I remember following this team like a fiend, and when they released New Mombasa, it took the modding scene to a new level. I think they had plans to do a bunch of other stuff, but they moved onto other things (I know Nitrosoxide and maybe some others from the team were hired to work H2V - Nitrosoxide made the maps that shipped with the H2EK, I think the maps are Earth City and some beach map I can't remember the name of).

I remember playing Wartorn_Cove (1, 2, 3 and tournament edition) on the Hive Server (which seemed to always be jamming with 16 players).

I remember the lengthy development of Yoyorast, and its eventual release and massive success.

I remember playing a bit of Hugeass and Coldsnap, and while I wasn't crazy about them (too slow-paced for me), I remember thinking that these maps would further change the modding scene forever. I was fascinated by the crazy things people were pulling of with the aging engine, and I couldn't wait to get my hands dirty.

I stopped playing regularly for a few years, but came back a year or two ago when I found out about SAPP and no-lead. Upon starting again, I checked into the community for the first time in ages, and found out about HAC2 and OS.

Frankly, the game is in the best shape it's been in since the golden years. With all versions of the game unified, there are always servers to play in (years ago this was not the case, despite all the amazing maps the community was putting out). There are more players now than there ever has been - it doesn't matter if they don't speak English or if they pirated the game.

Today, I play mostly in the SKB server (due to the high skill level of the players there) and in my server. I don't have as much free time on my hands anymore, though, so I only get online on the weekends. When I have a free afternoon, I work on a couple WIP BSP's for competitive multiplayer maps I plan to release in June, and try to lend a helping hand to others.

klasher1000

Posted: May 6, 2014 10:03 AM    Msg. 21 of 22       
I remember about 7 years ago I picked up a copy of Halo Trial and under the orders of Sergeant Johnson I went out and picked up a copy of Halo 1. I played through the campaign endless amounts of times, learned the do's and don'ts of Bloodgulch and eventually just stopped playing for a few months. One day on a server as I was dominating blue team in Sidewinder (only because I had a helpful team *go figure*) I was introduced to a thing called Xfire. Xfire opened up a whole new world to me and showed me that there were millions of other people who liked the same things I do. So after about 3 months of playing Halo I was introduced to Halo CE by a good friend of mine. Immediately I began to download gig after gig of maps filling my hard drive with so many maps that I had to get an external drive to store even more. I've tried modding and even porting content to no avail and eventually my name will be known here on Halomaps... but until that day comes I'll just hide in the shadows of the Gulch, and Snow Grove and wait.

sirbobbington

Posted: May 6, 2014 10:58 AM    Msg. 22 of 22       
Wow I forgot how much of the community stumbled on CE after the golden days.

I first heard about CE in 2003 when I read on halo.bungie.org that Gearbox confirmed the patch to allow custom content. I lurked around the Gearbox forums for a while and watched all of the optimistic projects that were dashed when Gearbox dropped the "no custom single player" bomb. I installed CE overnight about 10 years ago, and started downloading all of the maps I could find (there were about 15 at the time, so it wasn't hard). I spent a while tooling around in the maps by myself, and finally went online around the time that Blood Islands had 24/7 dedicated servers. I played nonstop through the summer on various custom servers until I was back in school and Halo 2 came out. I came back a few months later to a community half the size and completely obsessed with Halo 2 mods and various other gimmicks.

I stopped by every few months throughout high school and college and saw the player count dip from 350 to 200 to 120 down to 10-50 and then back up to about 100 when the last custom map servers died.

Some of my favorite memories from CE:

- Wartorn Cove CTF dedicated servers with 255 capture limit and no time limit... you'd sign on and there would be people who had been online for 12+ hours and amassed 500+ kills

- Streets of Earth City and all of its glitchy, trips-to-the-moon horribleness.

- All the drama when New Mombasa was leaked as whenhootersfly

- The EP clan custom servers with like 30+ maps on rotation

- Jumping onto another custom server with 12-15 players when you didn't have the map on the EP server.

- When Gearbox gave us a chance to save CE if we got 1,000 players online at the same time. We only made it to about 700, but it was the best game night CE ever saw.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu November 15, 2018 2:56 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website