A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Easily and accurately figure out proper LOD cutoff values

Author Topic: Easily and accurately figure out proper LOD cutoff values (14 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 18, 2014 01:32 AM    Msg. 1 of 14       
This is probably less "easy" than most of you were hoping for, but from my testing this appears to be how Halo handles LOD cutoffs and this method doesn't require any guesswork.

The sphere is also occluded by the BSP. If your object is resting on BSP then part of the sphere is likely going to be sticking into it, effectively reducing the diameter of the sphere. My testing has revealed that the engine either measures the sphere's diameter vertically, or it measures the shortest length it can. It is more reasonable to assume it measures the sphere vertically as this is easier to do.

I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure that the "bounding offset" and "origin offset" can be used to shift around the bounding radius and render radius spheres without having to edit the location of the root bone in the gbxmodels.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 19, 2014 at 01:05 AM

PRPatxi

Dennis ban me, please,

Posted: May 18, 2014 07:23 AM    Msg. 2 of 14       
GReat job man, 10/10.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: May 18, 2014 10:28 AM    Msg. 3 of 14       
10/10.

Super Flanker

Synthetic furnishings, rails and no safety.

Posted: May 18, 2014 10:55 AM    Msg. 4 of 14       
Thankyou!

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 18, 2014 02:36 PM    Msg. 5 of 14       
The method with the sphere in Max can also be used to help you determine how large you want the bounding radius to be(near the top of the vehicle\weapon\biped\scenery tags). I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure that the "bounding offset" and "origin offset" can be used to shift around the bounding radius and render radius spheres without having to edit the location of the root bone in the gbxmodels.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 18, 2014 at 02:38 PM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: May 18, 2014 02:48 PM    Msg. 6 of 14       
Or you could just do debug_objects 1 in sapien.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 18, 2014 03:20 PM    Msg. 7 of 14       
I said without any guess work. Changing the settings and then loading up sapien to check them is trial and error, or guess work. This explains the underlying method which the engine uses to decide which LOD to use. Either way works in the long run, but this is probably easier/quicker.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 18, 2014 08:17 PM    Msg. 8 of 14       
As a suggestion, you could make this a video and upload it to HMaps directly. It'd be pretty helpful for modders who dont scrounge the forums as much.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 18, 2014 11:06 PM    Msg. 9 of 14       
If you want to do that then go ahead, but I'm not going to put any more effort into explaining it than I already have. Maybe upload the image to halomaps as a file.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 19, 2014 01:01 AM    Msg. 10 of 14       
Thread saved. :)

savinpvtmike

It's heavily inserted

Posted: May 19, 2014 11:42 AM    Msg. 11 of 14       
ha

Super Flanker

Synthetic furnishings, rails and no safety.

Posted: May 20, 2014 05:49 AM    Msg. 12 of 14       
I wouldn't mind making a tutorial about this on youtube. But I would require some guidance.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 20, 2014 02:22 PM    Msg. 13 of 14       
well Mootjuh, you could do that and just make sure you've got the bounding radius of the object set to the same as the one you're imitating since the bounding radius is what's actually measured.

However, if you have a really highly detailed model that you want to switch to lower LOD's at even closer distances then you'll want to make sure you've got good precise lod cutoffs. This'll be very useful for people putting halo reach and halo 4 stuff in halo for example.

Also, if you need help with that then just ask me what you need to know. You can try out the tutorial by importing original halo models(like masterchief), creating a sphere around them the same size as their object's bounding radius, zooming out until chief is the same pixel height as when the lod changes in halo, and comparing the pixel height of the sphere with the lod cutoff values. They'll differ a little, but not by too much(mostly cause the bottom of the sphere is cut off by the bsp ground and isn't counted in the height).
Edited by MosesofEgypt on May 20, 2014 at 02:43 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: May 20, 2014 08:40 PM    Msg. 14 of 14       
If you haven't already please put this in a word, HTML or PDF document (I will make the conversions) and upload it to the archive for the Tutorial section. It will be lost in the forum.

Thank you.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun March 26, 2017 3:14 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website