A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »New To Modding

Author Topic: New To Modding (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sneakze

Posted: May 21, 2014 10:43 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
So i've been playing Halo on PC for years now and i've decided i want to get into modding.
I don't really have any other previous experience with modding (got to start somewhere i guess)
I've been looking around at tutorials for the ETK, but my only problem is that a lot of people recommend using 3DS Studio max. I guess there is Blender but would this work okay with CE?

Any advice, tips etc greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Sneakze.
Edited by Sneakze on May 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: May 21, 2014 11:33 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
If you can't acquire 3ds max I would recommend Gmax to get started. Down the line, however, you may want to consider at least getting a student license for 3ds. The most compatible version is 3ds max 8, because it's the latest version that the official exporter (Blitzkrieg) works with, but there are some community-made exporters that work with more recent versions (albeit not as well).

There are plenty of sticky threads on the forums to help you get started, I would recommend reading through all of them to get a good grasp on what you are getting into - it's not the most user-friendly suite of editing tools, but they are quite robust (with the addition of some community-made tools that allow access to previously-locked tag properties, among other things).

Good luck to you.

Onotix

What if I'm the twat?

Posted: May 28, 2014 01:13 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
3ds max is probably the best place to start, it might be a little overwhelming at first but if you take it slow you'll get the hang of it. My teacher in high school had some really good tutorials that he used on my class of idiots as we all got the hang of it I'll email him to see if he still has them.

stunt_man

Posted: May 28, 2014 09:43 AM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: Onotix
3ds max is probably the best place to start, it might be a little overwhelming at first but if you take it slow you'll get the hang of it. My teacher in high school had some really good tutorials that he used on my class of idiots as we all got the hang of it I'll email him to see if he still has them.

I'm also interested in these tutorials - although an abundance of tutorials can be found on Youtube or Lynda.com, many don't have the right approach for beginners. I've been modelling BSP's for a couple of years now and I feel that I've missed some fundamentals that would improve my process (for example: just recently learned how to properly use selection sets and instanced geometry - and now I can't imagine modelling without these tools).

EDIT: If BSP modelling is your thing, add me on Xfire (killdill101) and I'd be glad to help you out.
Edited by stunt_man on May 28, 2014 at 09:44 AM

Wolf_

Posted: May 28, 2014 11:13 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
^ What they said,

AND

Don't take on projects that are over-ambitious.

nihao123456ftw

Posted: May 29, 2014 07:51 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man

Quote: --- Original message by: Onotix

I'm also interested in these tutorials - although an abundance of tutorials can be found on Youtube or Lynda.com, many don't have the right approach for beginners. I've been modelling BSP's for a couple of years now and I feel that I've missed some fundamentals that would improve my process (for example: just recently learned how to properly use selection sets and instanced geometry - and now I can't imagine modelling without these tools).

EDIT: If BSP modelling is your thing, add me on Xfire (killdill101) and I'd be glad to help you out.
Edited by stunt_man on May 28, 2014 at 09:44 AM

Agreed with stunt man, a lot of 3d modelling tutorials don't have the right approach for beginners and confuses them. I'd like to know more about the techniques/keyboard shortcuts/different approaches to modelling rather than just being shown how to do it.

For example, from following those tutorials that don't have a good approach for beginners, I now DO know how to model bsps, export them and all that, but I don't know how to start properly from scratch - for my first map Cerazine, I just used a heightmap as a base. That was hell trying to fix up the map afterwards because I made the terrain all complicated and it had tons of errors from the displacement modifier, i ended up releasing it half-a**** because it was too frustrating to fix. http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6473

Yoda has tons of good tutorials on youtube that have good approaches for beginners. I dont have the link right now because im at school though. He showed me that for modelling things its a good idea to use editable poly over editable mesh because there are better tools and shortcuts to use (E.g shift+click or something is a shortcut for extrude edge) - these are kinds of techniques i'd like to see more of in other tutorials.

stunt_man

Posted: May 31, 2014 07:35 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
^ What they said,

AND

Don't take on projects that are over-ambitious.
You can if you have time, resources and patience... but yes, it's not always a good idea...

If you have the time/resources/patience, then it isn't overly ambitious, it's just ambitious.

What he's trying to say is don't start by saying you want to do a custom campaign, instead start with a smaller project like an MP or firefight map.

Also, some advice from modacity: don't release your first map.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jun 1, 2014 11:48 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       
Quote: Also, some advice from modacity: don't release your first map.

/\

To start out the easiest thing you can make for halo from scratch is a map.

After that try a scenery model.

From there you might be willing to test your efforts on a weapon.

The point I think we are all trying to make here is, pace your self. Many get frustrated and annoyed when they take huge steps.

So start out small, ask for opinions/critiques.

And grow into the stunt_man mk II

:D

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jun 1, 2014 01:38 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
I use blender to model everything including bsps. Than i put it into 3ds max.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu February 27, 2020 4:14 PM 1,203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website