A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts
  
 
»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Masking Shaders/bitmaps tutorial? (Paths on terrain)

Author Topic: Masking Shaders/bitmaps tutorial? (Paths on terrain) (16 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Nickster5000
Joined: Dec 11, 2010


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 09:31 PM    Msg. 1 of 16       
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if there were any good tutorials on how to mask shaders / bitmaps (For example: A path on a terrain piece)

I've been doing research myself, but I wanted to see what the experienced members have to say. Thanks in advance!


MEGA_VKNG
Joined: Dec 23, 2013


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:01 PM    Msg. 2 of 16       
Wouldnt that be texture painting?


Higuy
Joined: Mar 6, 2007

@lucasgovatos


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:02 PM    Msg. 3 of 16       
There aren't really any tutorials for this but I'd be willing to make one for you if you want. You'd have to wait until tomorrow after I get home from work. But the general scoop is this:

In photoshop, you'll have your ground map. You'll have grass and dirt. essentially, you need to get this into an alpha channel in the tif file, which will allow halo to know that it can use two different detail maps for this base map. It can be a little tricky the first time but isn't that hard.


Nickster5000
Joined: Dec 11, 2010


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:15 PM    Msg. 4 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
There aren't really any tutorials for this but I'd be willing to make one for you if you want. You'd have to wait until tomorrow after I get home from work. But the general scoop is this:

In photoshop, you'll have your ground map. You'll have grass and dirt. essentially, you need to get this into an alpha channel in the tif file, which will allow halo to know that it can use two different detail maps for this base map. It can be a little tricky the first time but isn't that hard.


What you said makes sense, and I would appreciate the tutorial greatly :) Thank you :D


Pharmacenberg
Joined: Oct 3, 2013


Posted: Jun 26, 2014 02:25 AM    Msg. 5 of 16       
In the alpha channel :

Black = Grass
White = Dirt

Well, anyway if you use the black by mistake for the path, you can reverse this in the shader...


stunt_man
Joined: Sep 22, 2009

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!


Posted: Jun 27, 2014 10:48 AM    Msg. 6 of 16       
I recommend looking at the blood gulch ground .tif that comes with the HEK, that's how I got a handle on it.

Protip: look at timberlands two ground shaders to see how to have more than two different materials applied to your ground (ie: grass, dirt AND rock).


Higuy
Joined: Mar 6, 2007

@lucasgovatos


Posted: Jun 27, 2014 05:18 PM    Msg. 7 of 16       
Sorry that I haven't got to this yet, working 40+hrs a week can take a toll sometimes, message me on xfire sometime this weekend and I will help you and also make a video tutorial.


rentafence
Joined: Dec 4, 2005


Posted: Jun 27, 2014 05:47 PM    Msg. 8 of 16       
Take a look at the psd files that came in \data\levels\test\tutorial\bitmaps.

You're gonna wanna use the alpha channel to indicate where dirt/grass is. Those psd files should explain it if you take a look.

Once you compile your texture (make sure it compiles with explicit alpha) you can just make a copy of the tutorial_ground shader environment and replace the reference in it from the tutorial_ground texture to your new texture. That way you'll have all the masking/detail maps already set up for you in the shader.
Edited by rentafence on Jun 27, 2014 at 05:47 PM


Black Crypt
Joined: Jun 30, 2008

Xfire : blackcrypt


Posted: Jun 27, 2014 07:56 PM    Msg. 9 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Sorry that I haven't got to this yet, working 40+hrs a week can take a toll sometimes, message me on xfire sometime this weekend and I will help you and also make a video tutorial.


Waiting for this ;)


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

The length of your life depends on my aim.


Posted: Jun 28, 2014 07:00 AM    Msg. 10 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: Black Crypt
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Sorry that I haven't got to this yet, working 40+hrs a week can take a toll sometimes, message me on xfire sometime this weekend and I will help you and also make a video tutorial.


Waiting for this ;)


me 3


PRPatxi
Joined: Oct 30, 2010

Dennis, free me from this suffering


Posted: Aug 3, 2014 04:07 PM    Msg. 11 of 16       
Hey I did a tutorial on thise while Higuy finishes his. I'm not good at speaking English so bare with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHhie6csS4k


ally
Joined: Jun 23, 2010

Aye Ready


Posted: Aug 3, 2014 05:32 PM    Msg. 12 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Hey I did a tutorial on thise while Higuy finishes his. I'm not good at speaking English so bare with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHhie6csS4k


Nice one on doing that, you mentioned having a problem when you tessellated the plane,
i couldn't fully understand what the problem was that you asked for help with.
Can you explain it any better?


PRPatxi
Joined: Oct 30, 2010

Dennis, free me from this suffering


Posted: Aug 3, 2014 05:58 PM    Msg. 13 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: ally
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Hey I did a tutorial on thise while Higuy finishes his. I'm not good at speaking English so bare with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHhie6csS4k


Nice one on doing that, you mentioned having a problem when you tessellated the plane,
i couldn't fully understand what the problem was that you asked for help with.
Can you explain it any better?


I can't alt+w to expand the viewport some times, when I convert to edit poli or edit mesh.


ally
Joined: Jun 23, 2010

Aye Ready


Posted: Aug 4, 2014 01:47 AM    Msg. 14 of 16       
If you have alt+w set as a hotkey in camstudio, then usually it will do the command
for camstudio instead of for the other program you are using. I noticed that a while ago when using camstudio and 3ds max, it seems to me that the priority is given to camstudio if you are recording and have a hotkey set which is the same in another program. That's how it works out for me so i think that's what the problem is for you too. But if you can use that hotkey with no problems at times while recording then that must a problem of 3ds max 2014 i would guess.


PRPatxi
Joined: Oct 30, 2010

Dennis, free me from this suffering


Posted: Aug 4, 2014 02:09 PM    Msg. 15 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: ally
If you have alt+w set as a hotkey in camstudio, then usually it will do the command
for camstudio instead of for the other program you are using. I noticed that a while ago when using camstudio and 3ds max, it seems to me that the priority is given to camstudio if you are recording and have a hotkey set which is the same in another program. That's how it works out for me so i think that's what the problem is for you too. But if you can use that hotkey with no problems at times while recording then that must a problem of 3ds max 2014 i would guess.


It's a problem with Max 2014 and not Camtasia :(


Super Flanker
Joined: Oct 5, 2012

The length of your life depends on my aim.


Posted: Aug 6, 2014 05:46 AM    Msg. 16 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Quote: --- Original message by: ally
If you have alt+w set as a hotkey in camstudio, then usually it will do the command
for camstudio instead of for the other program you are using. I noticed that a while ago when using camstudio and 3ds max, it seems to me that the priority is given to camstudio if you are recording and have a hotkey set which is the same in another program. That's how it works out for me so i think that's what the problem is for you too. But if you can use that hotkey with no problems at times while recording then that must a problem of 3ds max 2014 i would guess.


It's a problem with Max 2014 and not Camtasia :(


Thankyou for the tutorial, and have you tried assigning a different hotkey to expand a viewport window?

 

 
Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread







Time: Mon December 16, 2019 5:26 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website