A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo: Composition

Page 1 of 11 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 11 · Next
Author Topic: Halo: Composition (369 messages, Page 1 of 11)
Moderators: Dennis

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 06:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 369       

Ki11a_FTW here,

Today I would like to officially announce Halo: Composition as a mod being developed for Halo Custom Edition.

Halo: Composition is a multi-level campaign that takes place in the year 2555, between the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4. You will travel on a new adventure with a set of all new characters, uncovering unknown events that lead you to discover ambitions of the remains of the covenant after Halo 3. This will tie up with events that occur in Halo 4.

The mod uses the Halo Combat Evolved engine combined with Open Sauce.

So lets talk about what to expect from the mod.

The mod will indeed push the Halo engine to its full potential, maybe even beyond it. People who have been following my small amount of updates since 2012 know that I have been working with many ideas and experimenting with them in the engine.

The mod features brand new custom music. Thats right. I am working with a composer who I know personally who is also a die hard Halo fan.

(The team right now is very small, and we don't have the resources to focus on creating an entire brand new custom tagset for the mod, as much as we would love too. There will be content for both porters and people who like something new to enjoy.)

Weapons/Vehicles:

You will see some new prototype weapons and vehicles that were being developed between Halo 3 and 4, some that may have not of been seen in either of the games. This goes for both the UNSC and Covenant.

Characters:

Like I said, the mod will feature brand new main characters. All I'm going to say right now is that you play as one of the first Spartan 4's. As for covenant, I'll go as far as saying that you may even encounter some different species of covenant than expected. Be sure to read the CE3 section.

Levels:
This has been the best part on working with the mod, as the lead environment artist, I have been experimenting with new environments in the Halo engine that push the game to it's max. I have previous skill in current-gen engines, (Source, CryEngine, Unreal) and I have learned many things about making a level fun and look beautiful throughout the years.

The mod will feature many different environments, with brand new weather effects\particles to go along with them.

Each level is designed with deep thought and layout, and of course with a set of missions. These missions are what you would expect from any Halo mission. You can follow a mission easily, however there are many ways to do each mission (without getting lost), as well as plenty of non-linear space for the player to explore. Different play throughs may lead you to discover entire encounters you have missed, weapons, stranded allys and more. It's still the classic Halo experience, but not at the same time.

The CE3 Reveal
I have been rather quiet up until now, we have been hard at work trying to give something to show at CE3. This is not an AAA game, so progress varies as this is not an actual studio, and with the past history of great mods, well you know. I'd like to get you all involved as much as I can as progress is made, I think a 7 and a half minute gameplay demo is a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4cDIbKAoM&feature=youtu.be

The demo is from a level called "Rebirth", one of the first missions in the mod. It features the music from our amazing composer. There is a lot of stuff that I was happy to get done for this, and a lot of stuff that didn't get done. All in all, by all means do not expect a final product from what you see. There is a lot of work to be done, any questions or concerns I will be glad to address.

I noticed people in the chat were complaining about the h4 BR and pistol, those are gonna go, don't worry.

Releases:
Releases will come episodically. This may feature 1-2 maps per release.

Involved Personnel
CMT- various effect\particle tags

Open Sauce Team - Lets just say this project would not exist if it weren't for them.

Kozakuu: Promotion and Graphic Designer

Matt Jordan - Musical Composer\Voice actor\Tester

Joseph Simon\Patrick Jamison - Voice actors\Testers

Dante: Environment Artist

Rich Lawrence(Ki11a_FTW): Lead Designer\Cinematic Director\Writer and Lead Environment artist.

Special thanks to 343 Industries and Microsoft Game Studios, for assets seen from other Halo games, (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4). I am not claiming their content as my own in any way.

UPDATE 12/7/15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-6rNM7VeI

After some feedback from some friends I had over who were playing apart of Halo Composition, many had complained about the slow movement of the game. (People now seem accustomed to always have a sprint ability optional after the trends in the FPS genre), so here it is.

Halo Composition will embrace the newer trends of FPS gaming with a sprint button that's binded to the left shift key. I have it linked to the X button on my Xbox One controller.

Sprint behaves exactly how you'd expect. Tap Shift to engage sprint, tap shift again, or simply stop moving to disengage.

The combat keys are linked to this feature, so if you are sprinting and surprised by an enemy, you can simply just fire your weapon/throw a grenade just like you normally would in a combat situation.

You can sprint in 5 second intervals, with a 2.5 second recharge time.

Some of this stuff is still being adjusted, (Like the UI functions and small remaining bugs) but this is what it will look like.

It actually feels a lot like Half Life 2's sprint.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Dec 7, 2015 at 04:16 AM

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 06:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 369       
I want to make love to you.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 06:48 PM    Msg. 3 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

;)

also, thanks for everyone who watched at CE3, and jesse if youre reading a hud would be awesome!

MEGA_VKNG

friendly neighborhood big diabetic_kunt

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 06:48 PM    Msg. 4 of 369       
i like how people love the h4 tags in this but im hated for making them.

Wolf_

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 06:52 PM    Msg. 5 of 369       
I enjoyed the little I saw. You've done some quality work on this. And i'm excited for what else you got in store for us.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 06:52 PM    Msg. 6 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
i like how people love the h4 tags in this but im hated for making them.

A lot of the Halo 4 assets were used due to the plot of the story. Hopefully people will be happy to hear the BR\SMG\Magnum are all going to be replaced with custom assets.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 07:00 PM    Msg. 7 of 369       
It looks really cool. I love how much custom content is in this, including the voice acting and tags and overall "polish" of the single encounter that was shown. THIS is what I have been telling people to do for years in terms of presentation. Its fantastic.

There is a few things that came into question though. First thing that I immediately noticed and was distracting was the skybox. The vista itself looked good, but the ground near the bottom doesn't match well at all, and could really look better if it matched. You could get rid of it and simply do everything in the sky if you wanted (ala a30 or Lumoria_a sky).

Second thing I noticed was lag while playing, not sure if it was your computer or not or whoever filmed but I think that there is alot on the screen, so stuff like LOD's and portals really need to be taken seriously.

I'm excited to see where this project goes, first project I've been actually somewhat excited about in a while!

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 07:08 PM    Msg. 8 of 369       
I really like the look of the environment. The shader and asset inconsistencies do bug me quite a bit though.

Dante

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 07:15 PM    Msg. 9 of 369       
Consistency is definitely being kept in mind with the assets. Everything is all over the place in a way largely to get this demo out there in time. That's not to be confused with this project having assets thrown in "just cause." There were some errors that couldn't be corrected fast enough.

H4 marines (all of 'em) are planned to replace the current ones, for starters.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 07:18 PM    Msg. 10 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
It looks really cool. I love how much custom content is in this, including the voice acting and tags and overall "polish" of the single encounter that was shown. THIS is what I have been telling people to do for years in terms of presentation. Its fantastic.

There is a few things that came into question though. First thing that I immediately noticed and was distracting was the skybox. The vista itself looked good, but the ground near the bottom doesn't match well at all, and could really look better if it matched. You could get rid of it and simply do everything in the sky if you wanted (ala a30 or Lumoria_a sky).

Second thing I noticed was lag while playing, not sure if it was your computer or not or whoever filmed but I think that there is alot on the screen, so stuff like LOD's and portals really need to be taken seriously.

I'm excited to see where this project goes, first project I've been actually somewhat excited about in a while!

Thanks, the skybox is half unfinished. The model itself needs to receive a re-texture and was planned to have small buildings\trees scattered throughout. The background bitmap is from reach, the original intention was to take the 3d model and eventually blend it into a new background bitmap seamlessly. The mountains were designed off of the San Gabriel Mountains, and eventually I'd like to get someone to make a new background vista once the model is touched up.

As for lag, the map runs smoothly, however there is a lot of optimization issues currently with the BSP (unused gameplay sections). The entire BSP is equivalent to an entire single player level, thus there are a lot of areas that aren't seen in the footage. The BSP needs to be split up\etc. Fraps also didn't help.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Jul 19, 2014 at 07:19 PM

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 07:48 PM    Msg. 11 of 369       
Voice acting is also kinda concerning. You don't want it so loud to be obnoxious, but not so quiet that your other effects supercede it. What I did hear wasn't too bad, although some of the lines sounded way too robotic and/or casual for the setting.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 07:58 PM    Msg. 12 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
Voice acting is also kinda concerning. You don't want it so loud to be obnoxious, but not so quiet that your other effects supercede it. What I did hear wasn't too bad, although some of the lines sounded way too robotic and/or casual for the setting.

I personally had some people come over to my house to voice act. I play the blue spartan in the trailer. We were having some technical issues and difficulty making time with actors towards the deadline of the trailer specifically with getting lines from our actor for the sarge.

Spartans are trained to kill, and remain calm under pressure. You will learn more about his character over time.

Juzo

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 08:05 PM    Msg. 13 of 369       
This project looks freaking awesome can't wait to see more. Also did anyone see project contingency or installation 01?

P3

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 08:24 PM    Msg. 14 of 369       
*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

Bypassed profanity filter
Edited by Dennis on Jul 20, 2014 at 01:47 AM

sshers4

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 08:41 PM    Msg. 15 of 369       
I saw MOA in the video I was hoping to see the blindwolf.

PopeAK49

I'm a living, breathing sentient tank!

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 09:16 PM    Msg. 16 of 369       
I've been watching videos on your channel Ki11a. The great work really paid off. Good stuff!

PRPatxi

Dennis ban me, please,

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 09:23 PM    Msg. 17 of 369       
Need any voice actors? =D

Juzo

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 09:32 PM    Msg. 18 of 369       
This looks like a new halo game rather than a mod.

Caesar

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 10:22 PM    Msg. 19 of 369       
The environment looks like reach!!!!

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 10:27 PM    Msg. 20 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: caeserishome
The environment looks like reach!!!!

That's the point!!!!

Axees

yolo

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 10:36 PM    Msg. 21 of 369       
This was one of the most impressive things for me at ce3 2014 personally!

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 10:41 PM    Msg. 22 of 369       
even though this had halo 4 assets, this is the first(and probably only) map with h4 tags that I will ever approve.

its weird, but good weird, me wanty

MatthewDratt

#RESIST

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 10:57 PM    Msg. 23 of 369       
I really love the soundtrack so far, so A+ to that dude.

Juzo

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 11:03 PM    Msg. 24 of 369       
I see a bright future for Halo ce now :)

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 11:16 PM    Msg. 25 of 369       
This was honestly hands down the best thing at CE3 this year. The music, the graphics, the encounters. Everything was so amazing!

I can't wait to see more about this in the future.

A++

Axees

yolo

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 11:20 PM    Msg. 26 of 369       
I have to agree. Ill take some tips from this map.

Juzo

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 11:22 PM    Msg. 27 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
This was honestly hands down the best thing at CE3 this year. The music, the graphics, the encounters. Everything was so amazing!

I can't wait to see more about this in the future.

A++
Hope we get some updates soon Killa. A+++

Unethical Nightmare

Think first before acting

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 11:23 PM    Msg. 28 of 369       
Cool stuff people can learn from.

Dante

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 01:42 AM    Msg. 29 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: sshers4
I saw MOA in the video I was hoping to see the blindwolf.

I'm sure they're right at home on Installation 03 ;)

General_101

Apparently all I post is spam.

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 01:47 AM    Msg. 30 of 369       
This is very impressive!

MEGA_VKNG

friendly neighborhood big diabetic_kunt

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 01:55 AM    Msg. 31 of 369       
Agreed. It looks like an actual halo game running on the 360. Maybe better.

DOPPELGANGER

whoops

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 03:10 AM    Msg. 32 of 369       
halo reach pc confirmed

Jesse

Discord: Jesse#4500

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 04:08 AM    Msg. 33 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

;)

also, thanks for everyone who watched at CE3, and jesse if youre reading a hud would be awesome!

Indeed, my offer is still up! We can do this one of a few ways, narrowed down to two for simplicity.

1) you take the creative initiative and make a basic sketch or outline of a design that you would like to see for your map. (Basically you draw out what you want me to make for you)

2) I design one of my own, though I admit that my own creative juices don't flow very well with creating this type of custom content, and only you and your partners (for the mod, not the sex ones) know what would truly fit well with your content.

I doubt you want a simple recolor of the H4 HUD or anything.

ODX

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 09:44 AM    Msg. 34 of 369       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
I noticed people in the chat were complaining about the h4 BR and pistol, those are gonna go, don't worry.
Specifically, people were complaining about the BR animations, and the fact that the pistol was moved up so much and had an edited fire animation to be a little burp if anything.

If you'd like me to work my hand at them, I could do that, or just put them to more stock animation sets from Halo 3. Edit the magnum fire, though, since I know you at least don't want that one to be crazy powerful recoil ala Halo 3.

Super Flanker

Synthetic furnishings, rails and no safety.

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 11:24 AM    Msg. 35 of 369       
New vehicles, weapon.

Same old fx.

Page 1 of 11 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 11 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue March 28, 2017 12:16 AM 641 ms.
A Halo Maps Website