A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How do you create outdoor maps?

Author Topic: How do you create outdoor maps? (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 01:24 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
I know there's a ton of tutorials out there for this, but all of them seem to rely on either heightmaps/displacement modifier or tessellating the map a million times and using soft selection to create hills (and some with a combination of both)

I've been trying to find more innovative and controllable ways to create my maps compared to those boring methods. One idea I had was to use the create polygon tool and shape out my map, but then that doesn't leave me any verts to create hills with and I can't think of any practical way of adding them afterwards besides using slice plane a million times which isn't practical at all. Can anyone help me?

MatthewDratt

HaloCE3.com MattDratt.com

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 01:28 AM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Use slice plane a million times

http://vimeo.com/11781231

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 02:31 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
personally i use mudbox, it isnt too difficult for me to set stuff up and i can add all my fancy shmancy forerunner structure things as other clusters i model in either blender or some other magical program, i know mootjuh does the same thing. if you cant get mudbox, blender has sculpting too.
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Aug 5, 2014 at 02:33 AM

PopeAK49

I'm a living, breathing sentient tank!

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 02:32 AM    Msg. 4 of 10       
I actually used to use the technique of outlining my bsp with the line tool to create a shape. If you then, apply the subdivision properties, you can fill in polygons. Then you can extrude the edges to create cliffs. That is just a basic way though.

Usually, I like creating my bases or structures before building terrain.

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 05:43 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: PopeAK49
I actually used to use the technique of outlining my bsp with the line tool to create a shape. If you then, apply the subdivision properties, you can fill in polygons. Then you can extrude the edges to create cliffs. That is just a basic way though.

Oh heh, subdivision was actually pretty much the thing I was looking for, or at least close to it. Thanks. Although I might try using the technique in the tutorial dratt posted instead. Thanks everyone.

Now if only subdivision wouldn't freeze max when i use it...
Edited by nihao123456ftw on Aug 5, 2014 at 05:47 AM

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 06:01 AM    Msg. 6 of 10       
In 3ds Max I use HeightMaps then dispplacement if I have to model them and sculp them from 0 I use Softimage or Mudbox.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 06:11 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Some combination of plane and vert modelling to get the basic shape, then some tessellation where necessary to make soft selection effective. It can be done on a poly by poly basis so really isn't too hard when you just need a bit more to work with. Meshsmooth also works like a charm when softness is needed. It takes a bit more time than just whipping up something in paint but I think the outcome is worth it. You know where everything is because you made it yourself.

I've never been a fan of this whole notion that every map needs to be in a canyon though, so I can see where other methods may prove easier in making such a level.

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 06:44 AM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
Some combination of plane and vert modelling to get the basic shape, then some tessellation where necessary to make soft selection effective.

I've used this technique the most out of all but sometimes when working with irregular shapes the edges are just placed really weirdly in a way where soft selection would make hills look silly

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 01:10 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
What pope said.
Create the outline with the create line tool
Convert to poly.
Use the cut tool or the slice plane tool to make areas.
Cut or subdivide the areas.

Valentin

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 01:07 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: PopeAK49

You know I never considered that. And yet it's such an obvious method.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat November 16, 2019 10:51 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website