A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Is anyone interested in an OS_Tool GUI?

Author Topic: Is anyone interested in an OS_Tool GUI? (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BTone

Reality over fear.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 07:43 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
Hey all,

Awhile back, I banged out a quick and dirty C# based GUI for OS_Tool.exe. Now I haven't finished it because I use it mostly to build cache files. Anyways, my question is this: Would anybody like me to finish it up to support all tool functions and release? If nobody wants it, I really cant justify finishing it. Here are some pics.

Basically, it launches a headless tool and eats its output, for easy reading by the user. It also finds your executables based on just setting your CE directory, which it remembers between sessions, a feature that's lacking in many tools.

Furthermore it has easy GUI based ways of selecting directories and flags and such.

Let me know what y'all think.

Edited by BTone on Aug 12, 2014 at 07:46 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 07:54 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
Can you copy out of the output window? Either way, GUI is always an improvement from the command line.

BTone

Reality over fear.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 08:05 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
Yeah, the Output window is really just a read-only rich text box, so copy works fine.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 08:49 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
I would want you to finish this

HattyHattington

goldkilla88

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 10:50 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
For convince, this would be nice.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 11:05 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
The answer is in the question. If you think you have to ask if someone wants you to finish it then it's worth finishing.

nihao123456ftw

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 11:30 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       
A suggestion: Have the tool remember what you have done, so if you were to, say, be working on a map and need to test+compile it multiple times, you can adjust changes and then easily run the command to compile the map. Like how you can press up arrow key in cmd to type in your previous command except persistent. I was going to make my own tool gui for doing this but got lazy.

btw why is everyone changing their avatar all of a sudden?

Masters1337

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 11:41 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
Also a time stamp of each compile would be great, or even some sort of detection to see if the game has run since the last compile.

I only ask because I am that fool who doesnt remember when he compiled his map before testing it sometimes... or compiles multiple times because he forgets if he compiled or not.

BTone

Reality over fear.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 11:52 PM    Msg. 9 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Also a time stamp of each compile would be great, or even some sort of detection to see if the game has run since the last compile.

I only ask because I am that fool who doesnt remember when he compiled his map before testing it sometimes... or compiles multiple times because he forgets if he compiled or not.

Ha, timestamps... THAT'S a good idea.

Quote: --- Original message by: nihao123456ftw
A suggestion: Have the tool remember what you have done, so if you were to, say, be working on a map and need to test+compile it multiple times, you can adjust changes and then easily run the command to compile the map. Like how you can press up arrow key in cmd to type in your previous command except persistent. I was going to make my own tool gui for doing this but got lazy.

btw why is everyone changing their avatar all of a sudden?

This already has that functionality built in. The only settings it saves between sessions is the CE dir, data dir, tags dir, and ostool location. You can run a command multiple times in one session, and it remembers data of each tab (command) over the course of one session

Masters1337

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 11:56 PM    Msg. 10 of 13       
Depending on how much time you are willing to invest, there are a few other things I'd like to see this wrapper do. Mostly manipulation of the tool output, like keeping a log of a scenario's size and tagspace and final map file size in a output file so you can easily see the growth or shrinkage of a map. Or even if at the end of the tool compile, if it could tell you if you have more or less free space in the map.

BTone

Reality over fear.

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 12:01 AM    Msg. 11 of 13       
Depending on how much time you are willing to invest, there are a few other things I'd like to see this wrapper do. Mostly manipulation of the tool output, like keeping a log of a scenario's size and tagspace and final map file size in a output file so you can easily see the growth or shrinkage of a map. Or even if at the end of the tool compile, if it could tell you if you have more or less free space in the map.

Since I capture all of tool's output, I can pretty much do whatever I want with the output. It's just a matter of parsing the information.

If you don't mind, you could send me a PM with what features you would find particularly useful. I doubt that there's anything that would be too involving to implement. In all fairness, most commands are pretty straight forward except for build-cache-file and a small handful of others.

Masters1337

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 12:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: BTone

Since I capture all of tool's output, I can pretty much do whatever I want with the output. It's just a matter of parsing the information.

If you don't mind, you could send me a PM with what features you would find particularly useful. I doubt that there's anything that would be too involving to implement. In all fairness, most commands are pretty straight forward except for build-cache-file and a small handful of others.

Well those are the two off the top of my head, but I'll get back to you probably tomorrow with some other ideas of things that would be highly useful.

BTone

Reality over fear.

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 12:29 AM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: BTone

Well those are the two off the top of my head, but I'll get back to you probably tomorrow with some other ideas of things that would be highly useful.

Cool

EDIT:
I finally got around to adding some new features to my OS_Tool GUI app.

Like before, the GUI is designed to make selecting tool arguments easier.

The output of the tool command will be forwarded to an external output window, as well as a log file in a directory of your choosing.

What's the point of another separate log file? Well you may have noticed the "Log Analyzer" button on the main app window. The Log Analyzer, inspired by Masters1337's request, is a handy function that makes it easy to compare multiple tool function executions. Using a slightly modified OS_Tool logfile, it can easily compare and report various bits of information about tool executions. The next image should better explain what I mean:

I'm not posting a public link yet, for I have only finished the animation, bitmap, bitmaps, and build-cache-file(-ex) tool commands. However, If you are interested, I would gladly give out my program to those who wish to help test it.

Feel free to post suggestions.

Please PM me if you are interested in testing.

Edited by BTone on Aug 15, 2014 at 07:50 PM
Edited by BTone on Aug 15, 2014 at 07:55 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat January 18, 2020 7:19 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website