A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »CMT's The Silent Cartographer Evolved -- Official Thread

Page 5 of 57 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 57 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: CMT's The Silent Cartographer Evolved -- Official Thread (1968 messages, Page 5 of 57)
Moderators: Dennis

darkrider400

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 01:32 AM    Msg. 137 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
Quote: --- Original message by: darkrider400

27 list items down, 24 to go. Reach, we have passed the "break even" point, M5AB's all around!
Edited by darkrider400 on Sep 13, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Actually I'll have an MA5C, I don't think I can handle 60 rounds.

Yeah, MA5C looks a bit more Badass

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Sep 14, 2014 03:27 AM    Msg. 138 of 1968       

27 list items down, 24 to go. Reach, we have passed the "break even" point, M5AB's all around!
Edited by darkrider400 on Sep 13, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Do they come with ammunition?

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 01:10 AM    Msg. 139 of 1968       
Unless I've miscounted, we're currently at 30/51. Looks like we'll have a release in early-to-middle October.

darkrider400

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 05:25 PM    Msg. 140 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: RabbitFood
Unless I've miscounted, we're currently at 30/51. Looks like we'll have a release in early-to-middle October.

uhhhh, 21 items left, and last update was 5 days ago, you might want to recount dude, you're wayyy off. :P

Juzo

Just delete my account really

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 05:31 PM    Msg. 141 of 1968       
I counted it myself and I got 28 items plus the 3 others added to the list making it 30 items. 19 more items to go.
Edited by Spartan_234 on Sep 20, 2014 at 06:05 PM

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 05:31 PM    Msg. 142 of 1968       

uhhhh, 21 items left, and last update was 5 days ago, you might want to recount dude, you're wayyy off. :P

I mean 30/51 things have been knocked off the list. I assume you're familiar with fractions. Besides that, what does when the last update was have to do with anything? It was 30/51 at the time of the posting, and it's still 30/51

EDIT: In reply to Spartan 234, I just do Ctrl + F "-- done" and count how many times it appears on the page search bar.
Edited by RabbitFood on Sep 20, 2014 at 05:33 PM

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 05:53 PM    Msg. 143 of 1968       

I mean 30/51 things have been knocked off the list. I assume you're familiar with fractions. Besides that, what does when the last update was have to do with anything?

We can't take that like a simple fraction because that's like saying that every 1/51 of that unity is identical to every other 1/51, and we know some tasks take 5x or more time to get done than others.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Sep 20, 2014 at 05:55 PM

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 06:12 PM    Msg. 144 of 1968       
Well we can if we speak in the terms of how many things have been completed on the list, because we're not trying to account for how difficult some things are compared to others. So in a way we can say it like a fraction, and state that 30/51 problems have been fixed, and 21 still remain.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely see where you're coming from.

Ifafudafi

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 06:24 PM    Msg. 145 of 1968       
if there was any way to even semi-accurately measure how much time it'll take before we're done, we'd have done that instead of posting the to-do list
Edited by Ifafudafi on Sep 20, 2014 at 06:25 PM

Danger_zone_98

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 08:36 PM    Msg. 146 of 1968       
Just to clarify

Well we can if we speak in the terms of how many things have been completed on the list... So in a way we can say it like a fraction, and state that 30/51 problems have been fixed, and 21 still remain.

Of course yes, I never said you couldn't take it as a fraction in that case (if you saw my other posts, I used it that way too), but you said this

And then darkrider said

Which is basically what I'm trying to say, but then you said

I mean 30/51 things have been knocked off the list. I assume you're familiar with fractions. Besides that, what does when the last update was have to do with anything?

So it does have something to do since at first you said something about a time period for a release date.

That's all.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Sep 20, 2014 at 08:40 PM

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 20, 2014 08:56 PM    Msg. 147 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: Danger_zone_98

Just to clarify

Well we can if we speak in the terms of how many things have been completed on the list... So in a way we can say it like a fraction, and state that 30/51 problems have been fixed, and 21 still remain.

Of course yes, I never said you couldn't take it as a fraction in that case (if you saw my other posts, I used it that way too), but you said this

And then darkrider said

Which is basically what I'm trying to say, but then you said

So it does have something to do since at first you said something about a time period for a release date.

That's all.
Edited by Danger_zone_98 on Sep 20, 2014 at 08:40 PM

Mkay, I think I gotcha.

You thought I was taking how many problems had been fixed in the time that has passed and tried to calculate when it was going to be released. In reality it was just an estimation/inference on my part. It could well be into late October or even November, because like you said, some problems could be 5x harder than others.

biernacki90

poop

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 04:32 AM    Msg. 148 of 1968       
I going to take a wild guess that spv3 will not be released on time.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 07:20 AM    Msg. 149 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: biernacki90

You took a wild guess on the wrong thread

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 08:11 AM    Msg. 150 of 1968       

I think they might change it to releasing the maps in two week intervals instead of one, but besides that I don't feel as if they'll push it back too far if they do.

UHWArby

PIPO vive

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 09:32 PM    Msg. 151 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: Altearose
I am a member of CMT and I confirmed that Johnlex2 will be a playable DLC character.

with DMR rip DLC?

and scarab gun

TenTonHammer

The chips fall

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 11:06 PM    Msg. 152 of 1968       

2 years since CMT map, i walk through the empty streets trying to think of something else but my path always leads halomaps.

i stare at the screen for hours and try to summon masterz1337. i play lumoria but it is no good. i flame bungie on destiny and try to resist the nazi mods but it is all meaningless. the end is near. i then usually play some old a30 and cry myself to sleep.

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 04:55 PM    Msg. 153 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: TenTonHammer

2 years since CMT map, i walk through the empty streets trying to think of something else but my path always leads halomaps.

i stare at the screen for hours and try to summon masterz1337. i play lumoria but it is no good. i flame bungie on destiny and try to resist the nazi mods but it is all meaningless. the end is near. i then usually play some old a30 and cry myself to sleep.

You're well on the path my child, but the problem is you're playing Lumoria instead of Lumoris.

justiyt

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 07:34 PM    Msg. 154 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: TenTonHammer

You're well on the path my child, but the problem is you're playing Lumoria instead of Lumoris.

What's Lumoris?

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 07:58 PM    Msg. 155 of 1968       
I'm so glad you asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_zV9lb7UTs

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 08:32 PM    Msg. 156 of 1968       
I'm so glad you asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_zV9lb7UTs

darkrider400

Posted: Sep 27, 2014 12:31 PM    Msg. 157 of 1968       
18 itmes left, we're getting closer! :D

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 27, 2014 12:37 PM    Msg. 158 of 1968       
18 itmes left, we're getting closer! :D

Ye, but they still speculated a middle-to-late October release on the Twitch stream.

Juzo

Just delete my account really

Posted: Sep 27, 2014 09:05 PM    Msg. 159 of 1968       
15 items remain :D
Sadly one item got cut :(
But, we are getting closer.

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 05:23 PM    Msg. 160 of 1968       
Since ya'll done said you were open to more questions now, I got one to shoot.

Since the last time we saw it in July of 2013, how much has the Security Station Pit changed?

teh lag

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 07:12 PM    Msg. 161 of 1968       

Since the last time we saw it in July of 2013, how much has the Security Station Pit changed?

it's one of the areas that's been the most stable layout / design wise, although the stuff surrounding it has seen some layout upgrades. we overhauled the main structure and did some touch-ups to the terrain but otherwise it's mostly what you saw last year. there are a few upgrades to the area that we wanted but didn't get the time to do, but they were all only visual things.

darkrider400

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 07:55 PM    Msg. 162 of 1968       
That reminds me, how much different is "everything" since this video has come out (a year ago) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMloaw58zw

And by "everything", I mean textures, models, map geometry, etc. :D

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 09:01 PM    Msg. 163 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: teh lag

it's one of the areas that's been the most stable layout / design wise, although the stuff surrounding it has seen some layout upgrades. we overhauled the main structure and did some touch-ups to the terrain but otherwise it's mostly what you saw last year. there are a few upgrades to the area that we wanted but didn't get the time to do, but they were all only visual things.

Alright, thanks. I've been thinking of starting to plan out my attack on the area when I do my Legendary runthrough.

Ifafudafi

Posted: Sep 28, 2014 11:04 PM    Msg. 164 of 1968       
That reminds me, how much different is "everything" since this video has come out (a year ago) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMloaw58zw

And by "everything", I mean textures, models, map geometry, etc. :D

Like the pit, that was a pretty stable area. Some significant changes were made to some parts of the layout, but those parts weren't shown in the video in the first place and I can't really say more than that without giving away too much

The things we highlighted last year were highlighted in large part because they were some of the more stable and complete areas we had at the time. Things that were in need of more significant work (and thus more likely to undergo major changes) weren't shown because they still needed significant work!

I've been thinking of starting to plan out my attack on the area when I do my Legendary runthrough.

You're going to want to do the map on Normal or Heroic first. That's not a boast; it's just a helpful hint. If the main-series Normal assumes a baseline of semicasual frat bros as the "average" audience, our Normal assumes that our average audience has been regularly playing Halo for years. Heroic is then a big step up from that.

Legendary is designed a bit different from analogues in other games. Almost every encounter has at least one significant alteration that changes the way it goes. Good aim, consistent shooting, and proper management of health are just the entry fee; what we're really testing is your ability to do all the other stuff. We don't expect a player to clear the CQB canyon with a Battle Rifle any more easily than we'd expect them to be sniping their way across the security pit with a Shotgun; the notion of "primary" and "secondary" guns needs to go out the window if you're planning on having a chance -- and even then, we're expecting players to both know of and be able to properly budget the ammo/battery and health packs from every single equipment dump on the map.

If you can hop into the map on Legendary and clear it fine on your first run, we haven't done our job right.

---

Since it's been an oh god it's been a month since we announced the delay, some words:

-The map has been 100% playable from the opening cutscene through the ending cutscene for some time now, and all gameplay-relevant map geometry is finalized

-All encounters (on all difficulties) and all weapon behavior is essentially finalized, at the very worst seeing some extremely minor 2-minute tweaks if the last rounds of testing find adjustments necessary

-We just finished one of the last outstanding BSP tasks and are well on the way to getting the rest taken care of very soon; the first phase of the lighting process has been completed, and is only pending confirmation of final scenery placement before moving on to the next of four. (Lighting will almost undoubtedly be the last thing we finish, and this is a very good place for it to be relative to our progress in other areas)

-The remaining 16 items on the to-do list really are all that's left. Just reading the number may make it seem like a lot, but that's 16 out of literal thousands of completed tasks. I'm not exaggerating -- we moved to formal source control 9 months ago, and in those 9 months there have been over 1,000 TSC:E-relevant commits. Consider that kind of pace over the map's entire 2.5-year development time, and it's easier to see that we really are on the very edge of having this thing finished.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 12:15 AM    Msg. 165 of 1968       
I'm a heroic kind of guy so that heads up is real nice.
A truly commendable effort men, people here (including myself :P) really appreciate it.

justiyt

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 01:41 AM    Msg. 166 of 1968       
So your "Normal", your lowest difficulty level possible, is analogous to regular Halo:CE Heroic? I understand some people like difficulty, but sometimes it's just fun to rampage through the Covenant without having to worry about your weapon choice or where the next health pack is.

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 04:50 PM    Msg. 167 of 1968       
If I beat TSC:E on Legendary first try with a 3-death margin of error, can I have SPV3 Beta? :3

this is a serious challange tho

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 06:20 PM    Msg. 168 of 1968       
If I beat TSC:E on Legendary first try with a 3-death margin of error, can I have SPV3 Beta? :3

I have a ton of Nightfall and MCC posters I got at PAX. We'll be doing contests and the sort so people can win them based off their youtube videos and for future unannounced contests (for both Evolved and SPV3).

RabbitFood

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 06:36 PM    Msg. 169 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

I have a ton of Nightfall and MCC posters I got at PAX. We'll be doing contests and the sort so people can win them based off their youtube videos and for future unannounced contests (for both Evolved and SPV3).

darkrider400

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 07:16 PM    Msg. 170 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

You know what you need to get Masterz?

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/459659/resized_joseph-ducreux-meme-generator-you-my-friend-need-to-get-laid-bd1d07.jpg

jklol, I bet you already have anyway :P

Edited by darkrider400 on Sep 29, 2014 at 07:17 PM

Ifafudafi

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 07:37 PM    Msg. 171 of 1968       
Quote: --- Original message by: justiyt
So your "Normal", your lowest difficulty level possible, is analogous to regular Halo:CE Heroic? I understand some people like difficulty, but sometimes it's just fun to rampage through the Covenant without having to worry about your weapon choice or where the next health pack is.

I don't mean it as EVEN NORMAL WILL KICK YOUR NUTS 'TILL THEY BREAK; just that the usual "yeah it's called 'Normal' but it's really just for babies" preconception that tends to float around isn't applicable here -- we have three main difficulties to pick from, so we want to make sure we're making proper use of them. If you're familiar enough with Halo that you're on this forum, you have a working legal copy of HCE, and you're able and willing to install OS and the custom map, you'll be fine. It might not be an autopilot breeze, but if you just want a challenge-free stomp then cheat_omnipotent is right over there

(I use "should" across the post not as in EVERY MAP SHOULD DO THIS, but as in if we're accomplishing what we want to accomplish, these are the things that should happen)

If I get too into things I'll take up the rest of this page, but the main thing we're trying to do with difficulty as a concept is drive the player to expand their tactical palette rather than shrink it. Obviously, butt-stupid suicide tactics will work less and less the harder things get, but we're just as cautious about players falling into a Plasma Pistol/Battle Rifle endless-repeat -- if things go right, falling back on a select few supereffective options will become less viable as difficulty increases, rather than more; or, the "easiest" way to play the map is also the way that has player using the widest variety of tools and tactics.

Get good enough with a gun and we're okay with you "breaking out" of an optimal set of solutions and taking down encounters in an unexpected way -- open areas like the security pit have multiple side routes that can let you circumvent the more straightforward long-range approach, and there's nothing stopping you from landing chain headshots up-close with a Battle Rifle other than your ability to compensate for the clunky shortrange handling. The threshold for how effectively you have to use a tactic in order to ignore others is raised higher as difficulty goes up -- if you habitually play other Halo games on Legendary, you can probably stick with just a Carbine or just a Plasma Rifle throughout most of Normal. If you want to use nothing but a Battle Rifle on our Legendary, you're going to have to land every single shot on the head, and grab just about every bullet from every dump on the map

You could consider it like this: good aim is one of the lowest priority things we're testing for. If you're really good at hitting what you're shooting at, you can probably make it through the map riding only that one skill on Normal. Heroic should then drive you to play smarter, rather than just "better;" more tools, more variety in tactics. Legendary then should require players in any reasonable skill range to use basically everything available to them over the course of a playthrough if they don't want double-digit death counts. It's not so much that the map is straight-up "harder" as it is requiring you to exercise a much broader range of skills and tactics than you might otherwise be accustomed to -- if you want to just run on autopilot with your grey headshot gun of choice, things are going to get real hairy, unless you're performing well enough on a low enough difficulty to circumvent the many other options that would make your playthrough a lot easier.

It's for that reason that...

...I'm recommending starting on a lower difficulty, because ultimately we want you to enjoy yourself, and if you're diving straight into a difficulty intended only those who are practiced and very familiar with the level design, equipment population, weapon behavior, etc., you probably won't enjoy yourself. We are not impressed by the oh so macho guy who's so manly he hasn't not played SLASO in years -- I would be much more pleased seeing a video of somebody doing a really fun and varied playthrough of Normal than a first-time player grinding and grinding against Legendary just so they can say they beat it. (although I mean, if you find more comedy than frustration in that kind of thing, then hey, ok, but,)

Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
Will OpenSauce v3.2/v4/v4.0.0/v69/v420/v9001 be released before Evolved or on the same day? Does Kornman00 have a definite date of release?

The newest OS will release no later than when TSC:E releases. OS guys haven't given a timeframe for (I assume) the same reason TSC:E's just using a to-do list instead of an actual time estimate, i.e., anything with sufficient precision would just be a blind guess, and would consequently have at least a 50/50 chance of being totally completely wrong, which wouldn't make anybody happy

Page 5 of 57 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 57 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 12:32 PM 688 ms.
A Halo Maps Website