A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »WIP Killzones First Custom BSP Yet to be named

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: WIP Killzones First Custom BSP Yet to be named (72 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 01:12 AM    Msg. 1 of 72       
A while back i was browsing the youtubes and i came across a forge map in halo reach called "Ϩ"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkyY1grmfI

i decided to try it and next time i was over at my friends house we downloaded it and had a blast online. it was a lot of fun and the vehicle and infantry gameplay were really balanced. about 2 years ago or so i decided to attempt to bring this layout into custom edition and i kind of gave up part way though due to lack of skills and motivation (aka it wasn't turning out how i had envisioned it)

last week i started anew on the map. it is going to have an odst theme and will be using the complete halo 3 tagset that me and mikecyborg are working on. i may go back later on and redo the textures in a new Alexandria style with a reach tagset later on

i just winged it on the skyscrapers. ill go back and redo them later most likely

this is the current layout of the level. initially i plan to keep it true to the original but i may add more later on (probably not. for competetive maps you want the pathing to be simple. look at BF4 maps. they are an example of what not to do)

and yes there will be a sauced and non sauced version of the map. i doubt anyone will play the opensauce version but it will have extra details. for example:

a maglev train running through the map much like terminal in halo 2

fully working equipment

and advanced lighting thanks to the revised lighting system in the next OS update.

Expect more updates on bsp progress scattered throughout the next few weeks.

AND no.... none of my other projects are cancled. this is just a project for me to do during the next month while i am away from my desktop....
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 1, 2014 at 01:13 AM

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 02:28 AM    Msg. 2 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: FrostyCyphre
Now if you put that .gif of Masterz getting owned by the train, we'd be in business.

XD i was looking for that earlier

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 03:09 AM    Msg. 3 of 72       
Was that really four years ago? Man..

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 08:58 AM    Msg. 4 of 72       
It's very ambitious, I'll give you that.

greg079

channeling my inner april fool

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 11:33 AM    Msg. 5 of 72       
so you'll be continuing rat's nest when you get back to your desktop, yes?

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 12:31 PM    Msg. 6 of 72       
I wouldn't say your skyscrapers look bad; the only thing that makes me queasy is the little indent before the cone part. It doesn't look like professional architecture, but maybe it would look better if you gave it some attention with windows or a little balcony.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 01:03 PM    Msg. 7 of 72       
I have it on my desktop lol. When I get back to my hotel I'll upload it.

Map looks like It has potential.
Edited by Masters1337 on Sep 1, 2014 at 01:03 PM

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 03:21 PM    Msg. 8 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
I wouldn't say your skyscrapers look bad; the only thing that makes me queasy is the little indent before the cone part. It doesn't look like professional architecture, but maybe it would look better if you gave it some attention with windows or a little balcony.

funny thing XD i was going to take some architecture classes at college

i have a large book of modern architecture on my desk, but i was unsure if the architecture in new mombasa was similar. and after looking at some more concept images it does seem to be. ill probably use it for reference from now on
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 1, 2014 at 03:23 PM

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 04:25 PM    Msg. 9 of 72       
Try maybe to make the environment less symmetrical ( Not mirrored) while retaining the basic layout (The S shape). More unique structures, Perhaps the design of the two skyscrapers could vary a bit ? I know it's a WIP, and as i said it's very ambitious, but it also got potential.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 05:25 PM    Msg. 10 of 72       
well then, this is a really cool idea. Watched that video in its entirety and its a pretty solid map to try to work with. If you want to try to make work easier for yourself in creating the map, you could block out the map and then progressively add detail as you go along. It'll probably end up cutting your design time in half.

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 06:02 PM    Msg. 11 of 72       
We shall name it Tim.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 01:43 AM    Msg. 12 of 72       
changed a few things around today. i hit a rather annoying roadblock when trying to boolean the maglev rails to the bsp. it kept deleting everything but the parts where the bsp and rail intersected.... and apparently there is no fix so they will have to be attached manually. i did however go and take a second look at the buildings, aka deleted the first two. and i also spent some time experimenting with the line of sight going into the bridge area.

ill have more updates after tomorrows progress.

the more and more i look this model over in my head the more it looks like seattle center....
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 4, 2014 at 01:47 AM

I am going to have to take a look at the bsp's for nmpd hq for building design i am liking the look

Also is it just me or does that ^ section of bsp look like it would make a great multiplayer map if you mirrored it down the middle of the control tower....
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 4, 2014 at 03:02 AM

MoooseGuy

I Approve This Message.

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 07:27 AM    Msg. 13 of 72       
Looks nice so far!

Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64

Also is it just me or does that ^ section of bsp look like it would make a great multiplayer map if you mirrored it down the middle of the control tower....

This would be really cool if it was not only mirrored across the tower, but had the hanging walkways staggered vertically and connected together with walkways.

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 08:59 AM    Msg. 14 of 72       
It looks very nice so far, keep it up!

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 04:11 PM    Msg. 15 of 72       

changed a few things around today. i hit a rather annoying roadblock when trying to boolean the maglev rails to the bsp. it kept deleting everything but the parts where the bsp and rail intersected.... and apparently there is no fix so they will have to be attached manually. i did however go and take a second look at the buildings, aka deleted the first two. and i also spent some time experimenting with the line of sight going into the bridge area.

You should avoid using Boolean altogether. Though it may be a useful tool for various projects, its not very halo friendly. Along with that, it murders good topology as well. You would be better off trying to trace the model, including the junction of the two, and trying to run with that.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 04:32 PM    Msg. 16 of 72       
yea i am just going to merge the models toghether

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 07:48 PM    Msg. 17 of 72       
Use the cut tool to cut out where the Boolean would be, then target weld one objects verts to the other.
also vote YES.
Edited by Maniac1000 on Sep 4, 2014 at 07:49 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 08:41 PM    Msg. 18 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000

Use the cut tool to cut out where the Boolean would be, then target weld one objects verts to the other.
also vote YES.
Edited by Maniac1000 on Sep 4, 2014 at 07:49 PM

Does Blender have a Cut and Target Weld tool?

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 09:06 PM    Msg. 19 of 72       
Yes the knife tool in blender is great and it has a merge tool which acts like target weld. I dont use either much though because of the awesome edge loop & slide tool.

killzone

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 02:33 AM    Msg. 20 of 72       
Bump for small update

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 02:38 AM    Msg. 21 of 72       
Ok so in the little time i have had today i did some work on making bases

They are pretty simple for the moment but for now it is just a simple blockout to prove its playability...

If anyone wants to take a bit more of a peek at the bsp here is a link to the latest backup i uploaded

http://puu.sh/bnxx8/5069dd3513.blend

That is all for today. I hope to get a bit more done tomorrow...
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 6, 2014 at 09:49 AM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 10:30 AM    Msg. 22 of 72       

Ok so in the little time i have had today i did some work on making bases

http://puu.sh/bnxhC/b0b99e92a3.png

http://puu.sh/bnSgM/d0063b105b.png

They are pretty simple for the moment but for now it is just a simple blockout to prove its playability...

If anyone wants to take a bit more of a peek at the bsp here is a link to the latest backup i uploaded

http://puu.sh/bnxx8/5069dd3513.blend

That is all for today. I hope to get a bit more done tomorrow...
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 6, 2014 at 09:49 AM

I congratulate you sir, on this feat of ambitiousness. 1 slight niggle, may we have an OBJ for us max and maya users?

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 10:39 AM    Msg. 23 of 72       
i nearly forgot about the stairs

i plan to ingame the blockout before i add a bunch of detail so that i can make sure that the scale is ok

@ssflanker i am not at my pc at the moment so if you still want it in obj get blender real quick (its free and rather small in size) and export it
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 10:47 AM    Msg. 24 of 72       

i nearly forgot about the stairs

http://puu.sh/bnUTT/67d0152760.png

i plan to ingame the blockout before i add a bunch of detail so that i can make sure that the scale is ok

@ssflanker i am not at my pc at the moment so if you still want it in obj get blender real quick (its free and rather small in size) and export it
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM

No problem, may I ask why you are using blender?

I'm not try to start an argument between Max Vs Blender, i'm just curious if your trying to prove a point that a decent halo map can't only be Modelled in Max

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:07 AM    Msg. 25 of 72       
that and the fact that blender is faster to use than max in some cases. as with most modeling programs it as a steep learning curve but since blender is mostly hotkey based it can be a bit more difficult for new people.

i started out hating blender. i tryed it back in 2006 before the groundbreaking 2.5 update. it was soo confusing to use, i could scarcely make a cube. i restarted using blender when 2.5 was released and i ended up liking it a lot. certaintly a lot more than max. i took classes on the program and as i got more and more proficient with it i started using max less and less...

it is honestly a matter of preference (and cost) the two programs are equally capable it just depends how how you like to model.

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:09 AM    Msg. 26 of 72       
Well if it's working well why stop?

I tried (timidly) to model out a bsp in cinema4d, took me a life time.

Speaking of blender, there is a real gap for halo blender based tut's.... maybe after you have amassed enough confidence or knowledge you could perhaps make some?

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:16 AM    Msg. 27 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
there is a real gap for halo blender based tut's....

a gap? XD there aren't any at all :P

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:25 AM    Msg. 28 of 72       
I don't know of many blender tutorials for halo's engine.

And if there are some I doubt they will have been updated.

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:33 AM    Msg. 29 of 72       
Wouldn't the only tutorial you'd need be one how to export stuff from it? Much modeling experience could be applied to any program, you'll just have to learn the interface really.

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:45 AM    Msg. 30 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
Wouldn't the only tutorial you'd need be one how to export stuff from it? Much modeling experience could be applied to any program, you'll just have to learn the interface really.

I see your point, but the willingness to learn seems hampered by excessive laziness. When I started I didn't bother learning separate tutorials for one program. Because of this I sucked, if it weren't for the desire to do something better than watching xhamster 24/7 I probably wouldn't be here.

Because of this, although in a sense it can be branded "mollycoddling" I think to encourage the next gen of halo mappers, we should try and include as much info and knowledge as we can. Even for something as small as learning techniques in different programs.

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:52 AM    Msg. 31 of 72       
Well yeah thats very true, however there already are extensive documentaion regarding designing on the internet, you can combine all of them and in the end get something that looks great. But that said, its hard to teach a person how to put their imagination down into 3d, most painters probably would agree that is the case for painting as well. I think that is the biggest issue for those who wants to learn 3d modeling.

What lacks the proper documentation is upcoming features like Dlmps and how to make and use of normals for halo. All that will be figured out in time.

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 11:55 AM    Msg. 32 of 72       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
Well yeah thats very true, however there already are extensive documentaion regarding designing on the internet, you can combine all of them and in the end get something that looks great. But that said, its hard to teach a person how to put their imagination down into 3d, most painters probably would agree that is the case for painting as well. I think that is the biggest issue for those who wants to learn 3d modeling.

What lacks the proper documentation is upcoming features like Dlmps and how to make and use of normals for halo. All that will be figured out in time.

I second that.

samnwck

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 12:22 PM    Msg. 33 of 72       
The map looks great. The only thing I could thing to improve on is the poly count. There is a huge amount of unnecessary polygons. I did a quick paint over of your topology to show a potential way of saving a ton of polys but not losing any detail.

http://i.imgur.com/IN272P3.png
Edited by samnwck on Sep 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 01:00 PM    Msg. 34 of 72       
Wow, never know someone who has done that before.

Did a good job too.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 03:26 PM    Msg. 35 of 72       
I plan to do all the optimization once i am done modeling the bsp.

Its only at 12,000 anyways. Not too bad considering its not optomised in any way
Edited by killzone64 on Sep 6, 2014 at 03:27 PM

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 6:20 AM 282 ms.
A Halo Maps Website