A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tags rip?

Author Topic: Tags rip? (15 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Spartan 2507

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 12:22 AM    Msg. 1 of 15       
Hi everyone, i don't know who are "unknow" but i know he is a stupid latin, why this post?
Is for that...

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6940

He/she was ripped my needle rifle...
Well, i can't undone it, but i want to know if is possible protect the map for the ethernal lighting???

killzone64

active on discord

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 12:43 AM    Msg. 2 of 15       
i am sorry but you cannot stop the rippers. using map protection works but eternal lightning is kind of a pain in the arse to figure out what tags are what. so using standard protection is your best bet. not even zteams algorithms are safe now.....

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 12:46 AM    Msg. 3 of 15       
uh oh someone ripped ripped content... Unless it's something you actually created from scratch in which case you have a right to be pissed if they are taking credit for it.

Anyway open source makes the HCE community go round.

n00b1n8R

Major League Trolling

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 08:13 AM    Msg. 4 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
uh oh someone ripped ripped content... Unless it's something you actually created from scratch in which case you have a right to be pissed if they are taking credit for it.

When/why did CMT get so pro-opensource? You guys used to be so closed back in the day. Not complaining.

Existence

Existence is my name, trolling Patxi is my game

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 10:20 AM    Msg. 5 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan 2507
Hi everyone, i don't know who are "unknow" but i know he is a stupid latin, why this post?
Is for that...

Well, i can't undone it, but i want to know if is possible protect the map for the ethernal lighting???

This sure is funny as hell you extracted the model, texture, sounds you ripped animations and effects from someone else put them together in a tag, and now you say someone else ripped content from you that it isn't yours in the first place. Ohh the irony. Frosty should do a comedy drama out of this.

Darkzealotx

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 10:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan 2507
Is for that...

I lol'd

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 12:30 PM    Msg. 7 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: n00b1n8R

When/why did CMT get so pro-opensource? You guys used to be so closed back in the day. Not complaining.

There were members back in the SPV2 day who were vehemently against sharing content, but we always tried to share things when they weren't used any longer. None of you were around, but when it was undecided if HEK+ would be able to rip CE maps I was one of the few "big names" who pushed for it to be able to rip from anything.

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 5, 2014 12:58 PM    Msg. 8 of 15       
Remember back in the day when the peeps behind Prometheus was talking about only being able to rip the stock maps. And people went "lol ripping from custom maps". Like it was the absurdest thing ever :) I like Hek+, it allows me to recover my tags I on occasion lose. Which sucks.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 12:22 AM    Msg. 9 of 15       
Just out of curiosity - I'm not familiar with other games' editing kits, but is it common practice to allow the decompilation of user-created content? I was under the impression that Halo CE was one of the few games where people are free to acquire whatever content they wish, and that it was what set us apart from other modding communities.

It's definitely one of the only cases where content can be ripped from later entries in the series and used ingame with relative ease.

Dumb AI

Dead.

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 12:32 AM    Msg. 10 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man
Just out of curiosity - I'm not familiar with other games' editing kits, but is it common practice to allow the decompilation of user-created content? I was under the impression that Halo CE was one of the few games where people are free to acquire whatever content they wish, and that it was what set us apart from other modding communities.

It's definitely one of the only cases where content can be ripped from later entries in the series and used ingame with relative ease.

In a sense, they are.

The few forms of content protection there is only serves to delay those wish to acquire them.

As for other games, I can say that it varies from one person to another.
Edited by Dumb AI on Sep 6, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 06:16 PM    Msg. 11 of 15       
Just out of curiosity - I'm not familiar with other games' editing kits, but is it common practice to allow the decompilation of user-created content?
Yes it is.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 06:21 PM    Msg. 12 of 15       
So... is there anything truly unique about Halo CE's modding scene? (loaded question :P)

Masters1337

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 06:25 PM    Msg. 13 of 15       
we are very immature

Darkzealotx

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 06:35 PM    Msg. 14 of 15       
we are very immature

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Sep 6, 2014 07:44 PM    Msg. 15 of 15       
So... is there anything truly unique about Halo CE's modding scene? (loaded question :P)
With most other game engines the "de-compilation" is built into game company supplied editing tools. Halo was never suppose to have an editing kit or custom content or maps however Gearbox, who did the PC port, came from the source engine world and presented the proposed game with an editing kit.

They had to drop it for the retail version of Halo 1 because of various reasons (not enough space on the CD for one) so then they convinced MS to allow the unsupported distribution of the Custom Edition because they promised their fans that Halo would be allow for custom content. MS agreed and the Halo CE game and editing kit was released as is without being complete or supported. The de-compilation programs were then written by users.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu April 2, 2020 11:48 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website