A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Nightfall: what does this community think?

Author Topic: Halo Nightfall: what does this community think? (28 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 09:13 PM    Msg. 1 of 28       
i have yet to watch the premier. and for those who were not in seattle for halofest to watch it here is a link

http://youtu.be/P-huN8OBRyg?t=55m11s

i'm interested to see what you guys think

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 09:24 PM    Msg. 2 of 28       
It was OK, I suppose. The plot seems a bit strange, but (spoilers!) I'm glad we're returning to Delta Halo.

The acting seems fine and so does the CGI for the most part. I think the story could end up good if 343i does it right but so far I'm not exactly "hooked".

greyhamism

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 10:46 PM    Msg. 3 of 28       
Looks alight tbh. Not as good as Forward Unto Dawn so far, but alright.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 10:53 PM    Msg. 4 of 28       
It's a tedious episode for a pilot.

You would think they'd want it to be more gripping, tantalizing, you know captivating...

This was pretty meh, some of the CG scenes with the Elite really put me off, and the characters so far are pretty vanilla.

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 11:05 PM    Msg. 5 of 28       

Kind of looks like I made it. Not professional at all. Cheesy and hard to watch in the outdoor scene.

Indoor darkness is ok

For the sake of spoilers I'll put these into links
http://i.gyazo.com/ebbd7b9bb375266bd30aa0399d61f609.png
Indoor like before ^
http://i.gyazo.com/81af8cc94a056746f3664210288212c3.png
http://i.gyazo.com/1ac8a69274a26851471e3680f0c4a3ac.png
These look not good ^

These next one look especially bad
http://i.gyazo.com/531c19963ee7aef0f7cff2f1ccb3a489.png
http://i.gyazo.com/3af99d8821e2049e551d1e89a309e5e5.png

Its ok compared to other tv shows but I expected Halo to have much more money (That should mean quality) to it's name.

CGI not fantastic, but not too bad. Cheesy dad to daughter part made me laugh at the start. The daughters outcome near the end of the episode was too sudden to the point that it wasn't good for the story. 0 personality development to characters except the dad guy person (I don't know what his job or name is after watching the first time a few days ago. I called him dad soldier anti-oni butthurt dude. This is the same situation with Captain Del Rio in halo 4, I called him Commander Poopy Pants until... I still call him that). That smuggler guy looked like he came from star wars or mass effect. Same with his ship. The halo props I really liked. I knew that halo weapons/vehicles would look funny in real life but this turned out ok. It might have been the elites animations that made it look funny. Overall It was ok, just look to much like a talented group fan made it instead of a industry. I'd watch it when I have nothing to do.

Edited by Spiral on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 12:12 AM    Msg. 6 of 28       
I think the new Yonhet aliens that have been shown in Nightfall are probably the laziest and most unnecessary additions to the Halo universe ever. The lore surrounding them is lazily written, their physical design is pathetic (seriously, an alien with human proportions but a different head thrown on top? What the hell is this, Star Trek? Forerunners should be the only aliens in this universe to have human-like physical design.)

Their random introduction and implementation left such a bad taste in my mouth that I could hardly enjoy the rest of the episode. I almost had to scrub my mouth out with soap after it was all said and done

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 12:54 AM    Msg. 7 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral

http://i.gyazo.com/8d7a0261502088b8d58f026f2c776e6e.png
Kind of looks like I made it. Not professional at all. Cheesy and hard to watch in the outdoor scene.

http://i.gyazo.com/c3bec82aeda326c0318c47c0d1563dd6.png
Indoor darkness is ok

I haven't watched it yet, but seeing that hideous lazily made new alien race, and 343's butchered Elites in one pic makes me not want to watch it.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 01:05 AM    Msg. 8 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I haven't watched it yet, but seeing that hideous lazily made new alien race, and 343's butchered Elites in one pic makes me not want to watch it.

Yeah, you probably don't want to watch it. Storyline was sub-par and seemed better-suited to some generic straight-to-television sci-fi B movie.

killzone64

Mostly active on discord

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 01:29 AM    Msg. 9 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

Yeah, you probably don't want to watch it. Storyline was sub-par and seemed better-suited to some generic straight-to-television sci-fi B movie.

i quit watching it because i was laughing too hard at the sub par CG. seriously.... its like they used the low poly assets from halo 4 and tryed to make them look good. the lighting on the elites sucks and make it in no way believable looking. like spiral said its like one of us did the CG effects XD. and all my compositing eforts looked like $h!t XD

CorpseManTS

Sorry, I cant hear u with my bullet in your mouth!

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 06:28 AM    Msg. 10 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral
http://i.gyazo.com/c3bec82aeda326c0318c47c0d1563dd6.png
Indoor darkness is ok

ermergerhd looks like Megatron.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 11:44 AM    Msg. 11 of 28       
Immediately writing it off as fanon. I can't accept that they introduced a new alien species like that, and it made me feel like I was watching Star Trek/Star Wars. Every single alien species in Halo is EXTREMELY vital to the plot where this was created simply out of necessity. I always wondered why the Halo universe didn't introduce new aliens, but now I can do without if they are going to end up conjuring the most uninspired aliens in recent memory. Locke's acting is holding up (I like how he actually talks and isn't just a silent protagonist as we've seen with Chief/Rookie/Noble 6) but the Spartan II guy is pretty dull. That punch in the face obviously never connected.

It's pretty meh. Hopefully the next 4 episodes are more interesting. Also that "Halo Channel" app is even more broken than the MCC, and the game/app don't connect well. It keeps telling me to "Buy Halo to view Nightfall" even though I have the freaking game playing on my Xbox dashboard so I ended up watching it on YT.

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 11:55 AM    Msg. 12 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: RabbitFood
It was OK, I suppose. The plot seems a bit strange, but (spoilers!) I'm glad we're returning to Delta Halo.

The acting seems fine and so does the CGI for the most part. I think the story could end up good if 343i does it right but so far I'm not exactly "hooked".

*alpha halo... as in 04

savinpvtmike

It's heavily inserted

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 04:07 PM    Msg. 13 of 28       
its all right but ep 2 is wear it might be at

P3

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 05:20 PM    Msg. 14 of 28       
The episode made me feel sad. Not even sure if I meant it in literal terms or not. I'm not sure how to explain, but I felt like I was watching a cheapish 90's TV show. Not even going to lie, I thought Forward Unto dawn Dawn was pretty bad, but this seems to be worse. A bit of a letdown for me. Most of the events are so dumb and doesn't even seem to make much sense logically. How they portrayed the elites with that zealot makes them seem so clumsy, slow, and pathetic. : L
Edited by P3 on Nov 13, 2014 at 05:23 PM

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 06:04 PM    Msg. 15 of 28       

After giving it a watch I mostly agree.
I found the plot to be "okay" so far, but I can't really accept the new alien race. It's just too human-ish. I never liked the Halo 4 elites either so that bothered me of course.

But I'll be watching the next episode, I like seeing ODSTs and Marines in action :-)

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 06:13 PM    Msg. 16 of 28       
This isn't Halo this is some generically random sci-fi sub-par budget TV show, who clearly doesn't understand that Elites are FAST and are not correlative to our idea of "big=slow" by any means.

Why am I even bothering to watch this.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 11:11 AM    Msg. 17 of 28       
I think they are obviously targeting a young audience with this. Honestly it looks badly made, it would have been better if it was made of full 3D animation with motion capture

And yes, it looks like a 90's low budget series, I thought MS had a lot more to invest in this, now I think they are really greedy. And it made no sense and wasn't captivating at all, even story wise...

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 11:55 AM    Msg. 18 of 28       
so are they releasing an episode every Tuesday or something?

Echo77

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 12:28 PM    Msg. 19 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
And it made no sense and wasn't captivating at all, even story wise...

"Stasis refrigerant. That's only used for one thing: a bomb."
*nothing explodes over the course of the entire episode*

And if it's only used for bombs, why does it sound like a substance that keeps cryopods cold? Why isn't it a spoonful of Blamite or something?

P3

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 12:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 28       

And if it's only used for bombs, why does it sound like a substance that keeps cryopods cold? Why isn't it a spoonful of Blamite or something?

They thought it was a bomb, which it turned out to not to be exactly what they expected, but it was so dumb why he needed to go into the city by foot into a mall. If the reason was because population density and the best height to activate it to cover more ground was in that mall, then why not just get inside that dropship that dropped him off, fly into the city and activate it? Many holes. They seem to be moving too fast event wise.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 01:45 PM    Msg. 21 of 28       
Exactly. Why did the Elite have to climb up in a mall to detonate something with such a huge AoE radius?

Echo77

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 01:54 PM    Msg. 22 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: P3

They thought it was a bomb, which it turned out to not to be exactly what they expected, but it was so dumb why he needed to go into the city by foot into a mall. If the reason was because population density and the best height to activate it to cover more ground was in that mall, then why not just get inside that dropship that dropped him off, fly into the city and activate it? Many holes. They seem to be moving too fast event wise.

Right, they thought it was a bomb, and they reinforced this with, "well, this substance is only used for one thing." Then we realize that apparently this substance can be used for more than one thing, because there was no actual bomb. Just a magic wave of red light.

P3

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 04:27 PM    Msg. 23 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: P3

Right, they thought it was a bomb, and they reinforced this with, "well, this substance is only used for one thing." Then we realize that apparently this substance can be used for more than one thing, because there was no actual bomb. Just a magic wave of red light.

Well, in a way it was a bomb. Not all bombs have to be a firey explosion. Here is a definition of a bomb.

A container filled with explosive, incendiary material, smoke, gas, or other destructive substance, designed to explode on impact or when detonated by a time mechanism, remote-control device, or lit fuse.

In this case, "A container filled with destructive substances designed to explode on a remote-controlled device, or a lit fuse."

Definition of explode.
Burst or shatter violently as a result of rapid combustion, decomposition, excessive internal pressure, or other process, typically scattering fragments widely.

And yaddi yadda. I'm sure you get what I'm saying. But either way. They could have done better with almost everything. : L

Echo77

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 04:36 PM    Msg. 24 of 28       
But there was no explosion, is what I'm saying. There was no violent bursting, no combustion, no fragmentation. It just opened and sprayed stuff.

RabbitFood

tripping a path through an internship

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 04:45 PM    Msg. 25 of 28       
But there was no explosion, is what I'm saying. There was no violent bursting, no combustion, no fragmentation. It just opened and sprayed stuff.

It's possible the explosion took place inside the sphere, and the red magic light stuff was just the result, kind of like a shock wave?

P3

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 04:52 PM    Msg. 26 of 28       
There was a burst though. A shockwave-like one.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 06:26 AM    Msg. 27 of 28       
Apparently "Agent Locke" will hold a pivotal role in future releases of the franchise.

My only guess since he is black would be he dies after Ep 7.

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 09:29 AM    Msg. 28 of 28       
The introduction of the new species comes out of necessity - both for the fact that it can be played by humans, and for the sake of the plot. They have some serious terrorist vibes here that really can't be filled by the more contemporary species of the Covenant.

What gets me is that the role could have easily been filled by an Insurrectionist without going through the trouble of making a new race entirely. They've traded with Covies in the past and have no qualms about what their actions might mean for humanity as a whole.

It seemed like the whole scene was just a colossal excuse for Locke to show what a gentle black man he is above the eveeel, backwards and emotionally stunted colonial guard colonel.

Speaking of which, why the hell do all of them have mandarin collars? Better yet, why are they all popped onpost lol?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 10:10 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website