A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Halo CE will not work properly

Author Topic: Halo CE will not work properly (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Spartan II

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 12:10 PM    Msg. 1 of 11       
Whenever I open Halo CE and play any map, it seems that the effects and decals do not work and do not show up.

Here is a list of things that do not work:
Muzzle Flashes or plasma for vehicles and all weapons
Decals e.g. blood splats and bullet holes do not show up when I kill AI, bipeds, shoot at the ground or walls and when I drive vehicles there are no vehicle marks
Grenade detenations and explostions do not produce any effect

I have taken a look at my effects folder, and the tags are not missing and I don't think that there are any missing dll's.

I would really apreciate any help

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 12:13 PM    Msg. 2 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan II
Whenever I open Halo CE and play any map, it seems that the effects and decals do not work and do not show up.

Here is a list of things that do not work:
Muzzle Flashes or plasma for vehicles and all weapons
Decals e.g. blood splats and bullet holes do not show up when I kill AI, bipeds, shoot at the ground or walls and when I drive vehicles there are no vehicle marks
Grenade detenations and explostions do not produce any effect

I have taken a look at my effects folder, and the tags are not missing and I don't think that there are any missing dll's.

I would really apreciate any help

You could try opeing your game settings and checking to make sure effect/decals and the like are set to on or high.

Also try removing and backing up the tagset you are using, and add the vanilla tagset instead.

From there re-compile the tutorial map, and check to see in game whether the fx and the like there of render in the game view.

Spartan II

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 12:25 PM    Msg. 3 of 11       
Can I find the vanilla tagset on the site?
Edited by Spartan II on Jan 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Spartan II

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 06:01 PM    Msg. 4 of 11       
The game used to run properly, until today. Also I have not modified my graphics card in any way. I am not using open sauce and I don't think I have the 'graphics update'.
Is it possible that some of the shaders in my Halo CE folder are missing, if so where can I get a list of them?
Edited by Spartan II on Jan 10, 2015 at 06:18 PM

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 08:00 PM    Msg. 5 of 11       
Honestly it sounds like a hardware problem. It could be tags related but I doubt it unless it only happens on recently compiled maps with specific weapons/vehicles/whatever you know?

Try downloading one of the stock maps from this site, Dennis hosts all the maps that come with CE by default. Load up that map in Halo and if you still get these problems then you know your tagset isn't at fault, because the tagset is really only accessed by HEK. Once it's compiled into a .map file, halo takes everything from that map file, so even if your tagset is completely borked the map will still run fine.

I dunno how much I've helped but I would bet money that it's a hardware thing and not a tagset thing.

Spartan II

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 09:25 PM    Msg. 6 of 11       
I think you're right, it probably is a hardware problem. I have tried recompiling maps and I have used the default maps, but the problem persists. I have checked the specs of my hardware, and they should be able to run Halo CE just fine; it just seems to have happened overnight, literally overnight as it was working fine yesterday.

Thanks for the help. More help would be apreciated but if you can't then don't worry.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 11, 2015 08:54 AM    Msg. 7 of 11       
Perhaps unknowingly an application may have made changes to your graphics card settings?

Another option you could possibly use would be system restoring your pc to an earlier date when halo was working correctly.

Spartan II

Posted: Jan 11, 2015 01:41 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       
Halo PC seems to work fine and loads all of the effects and decals. Maybe an application has altered my graphics card in some way, although I can't find any evidence of an application altering my computers graphics card.

I would like to explore all of the possibilities before restoring my PC to an earlier date.
I would consider that a last resort.

DoggiePie

Posted: Jan 14, 2015 03:32 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       
I think I had the same problem as you a couple days ago. The User Interface was all messed up. What I did is just ran it as an administrator and then it worked. I didn't go into properties to do it though i just right clicked on the shortcut and clicked run as administrator. I personally don't think it has anything to do with your files or hardware. I would blame this one on Halo CE just being dumb. Hope this helps :D
Edited by DoggiePie on Jan 14, 2015 at 03:43 PM

Spartan II

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 11:12 AM    Msg. 10 of 11       
Thanks I got it working again

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 11:14 AM    Msg. 11 of 11       
What was the cause and the method you used to fix your qualm.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 2, 2020 4:16 AM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website